A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Desperate for Information! - Pokey

Posted: Nov 29, 2010

I am an MT with 15+ years experience. Had to leave the field to be a caregiver for several years and now, 5 years later, want to return to working. From what I am reading, I am out of luck. I've searched high and low trying to find out about refresher courses or what I would need to do to get back into the field. It seems most companies want anywhere from 1 to 5 years of RECENT experience. Does anyone know if there is a way that I can brush up on my skills or any helpful input? It is really disheartening to think that all the knowledge and experience I have are not worth anything? Any information would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

see msg - nycmt

[ In Reply To ..]
why don't you sit for the CMT exam and see if you pass it? get the CMT prep books to brush up on whatever you've forgotten/things that have changed. if you pass it, you'll know you're generally ready to get back into MT and the companies you apply to will see that your 5-year hiatus didn't make much of a difference.

[ In Reply To ..]
That is a great idea! It is also something I wish I had done years ago. I will definitely look into obtaining those materials. Thanks so much.

to desperate - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 15 years experience (current) and the knowledge and experience I have is worth nothing... at least that is what they pay me.

What I would do, test anyway. Do not put dates on resume and just leave any previous employers.

Brush up on BOS 2 rules, and take all tests for any company hiring.

[ In Reply To ..]
Good idea! Nothing to lose and at least I can see how much brushing up and studying I need to do. Thanks for the good ideas.

Also... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Your ear is probably somewhat lost, too, in addition to new information. If you can get a hold of some old SUM transcription tapes or CDs cheap on E-bay or something, you could refresh your ear. It probably wouldn't take as long as if you are starting from scratch.
Question? - Pokey
[ In Reply To ..]
Great idea! I just looked at EBay and there are some that would fit the bill. I don't have a foot pedal and will probably need one to do this. Is there any particular type you would suggest or is any USB foot pedal OK? Thanks.

Dates - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not leave dates off your resume or application or try to falsify information in any way. Prospective employers do check and follow up on those things, you don't want to get caught in a lie. You have a reason for the 5-year lapse, just explain it, you'll sleep better at night too, lol!

dates.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Leaving off dates is NOT lying... if the prospective employer asks on an interview, then explain at that time about the lapse in MT employment. At least you will have already passed a test and can prove that you are still qualified.
Most applications - hc
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a lot of HR experience and have also done a lot of applying to companies and all applications require dates of employment. You may leave them off your resume (although I don't recommend this) but when filling out an application (especially online) it will require dates. Just wanted to give you that heads up. Hope you have good luck
Thank you - Pokey
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the information and good wishes.

Similar Messages:

Desperate..
Feb 01, 2010

I am working for a supposedly "good company" as employee and thus far, no complaints from anyone... boss, QA, etc. I am not getting work, its trickling in and when inquiring, all I get is "we are slow." What would you do?  I am used to being an IC, but took employee status as there is just nothing out there and different company experiences in looking for an IC position in the past year have been very troubling, to say the least. I am being polite here in describing this scenario. ...

Is This Desperate Or What???
Sep 05, 2010

Okay, get this!  About 9 months ago, I was sending out resumes, etc looking for a different position (I used to work for Spheris but bailed when things started going bad, thank god!).  Anyway, since then I have received about 3 emails from the Q regarding employment, in which I did not respond as I have found a position I am happy with.  The other day they actually CALLED and asked if I was still interested in a position with them.  It took all I had not to actually laugh in ...

Desperate For Help
Mar 16, 2012

I'm an MModal employee, I have been laid up with horrible bronchitis all week and now my computer has crashed (using roomie's laptop now).  Problem is, I don't have any of the login info to get to my email.  Can someone please give me the addy so I can get to my Mmodal email? Thank you, thank you, thank you!   ...

TTS Looks Like It Is Getting Desperate-- Lol
Mar 14, 2014

They need to start paying a decent wage and not be so dang picky about QA.  This place is a horrible place to work....   ...

They Gotta Be Getting Desperate
Feb 16, 2012

After not being audited since last August, I just received an audit.  Do you suppose it was because I went over my CCM's head and complained to her supervisor about not hearing from her regarding the loss of a 10 minute report when DQS went down?  I thought they were going to slam me but, lo and behold, a near-perfect audit.  They gotta be getting desperate for MTs who can transcribe this crap and make it even moderately coherent.  Next time I think I'll leave profu ...

TransTech Must Be Getting Desperate
May 12, 2014

A friend of mine applied at TransTech a while back and she was told at that time that she did not pass the test.  Well, she just called me and told me that she just got a call from them this morning offering her a job anyway, which she respectfully declined.  I guess no one wants to work for them anymore if they're now resorting to offering positions to people who didn't even pass their test! ...

I Wish We Knew How Many, If Any, Were Desperate Enough
Sep 10, 2014

d ...

Desperate For Help With DocQScribe Issues
Apr 22, 2011

For almost a year now, I've had problems with DocQScribe off and on, fortunately only about 10% of the time I'm on it.  But when these problems hit, they are so severe I can't work.  DocQScibe "sticks", won't back up, and the audio keeps playing even when I take my foot off the pedal.   It cuts my ability to produce to less than half, as I'm wrestling with DocQScribe more than transcribing.  NOBODY has been able to help me with this.  I' ...

Desperate Softscript Now Running Weekly Ads
May 03, 2013

They used to have the best ads in the business with funny pictures run biweekly, but it is a company going downhill. Expect to see daily ads, because their editor/auditor organization is cracking up, too. I am glad I took my friend's advice not to apply. ...

Desperate Need Of Part-time Employment
Jan 07, 2014

I am looking for something part time, like 15 hours a week. If anybody can message me and let me know of what companies can get me tested and hired soon, that would be great. Also, it is a definite to avoid companies with issues, especially those who don't pay. I know, all companies have issues. I work part-time as a teacher's aide and really thought they would have me full time by now. Well, they don't and I'm getting in a hole I can't climb out of without a second job. ...

Very Desperate For Word 2010 Or 2007 NOT Student/academic
Mar 20, 2012

Hypertype Information - Any Information
Feb 19, 2011

Any information on Hypertype?  Good, bad, and ugly, pay scale, platform?  TIA.  I have passed the test which I took a little more than a week ago.  They want to set up a phone interview but I want to know upfront what current ICs think.  Are they flexible.  Do you have a schedule.  Saw through the archives that the pay is low but how low is low?  TIA. ...

FTP-any Information
Nov 27, 2009

If I eventually plan on working from home, should I invest in some kind of FTP (file transfer program)? If so, what kind should I get? There are so many out there, just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this. Thanks!! ...

Any New Information About TTS?
Mar 21, 2010

Hi, I am speaking with TTS about a job.  The thing that I am concerned about is they said in their introduction that, "Production time is tracked off the technology system and monitors the time you are actually in the document working (hands on the keyboard or foot on the pedal).  If you are idle in excess of 4 minutes the time stops tracking.  You must remain actively working.  If you are researching etc, give it 3 minutes." I am assuming this means that you if you get ...

MME Information Please!
Oct 16, 2010

I sent a report in, and when I got it back, they had taken out the #s that I did using the numbering feature in 6.1 and replaced them with numbers. Is there a reason for this? ...

Anyone Information On TTS
May 07, 2011

Anyone information on TTS I would love to hear anything, good or bad.  I was recently offered 9 cpl and 4.5 VR/SR.. Including spacing and headers/footers....thought this was pretty darn good these days. I am waiting to set up start date and new hire paperwork.. This is TTS New Hampshire. Transcription, Technology, Solutions.  please reply. ...

Anyone Have Information On TTS?
May 08, 2015

Anyone have information on TTS? They have several positions available, wondering if it would be something worth looking into... ...

Transportal - Anyone Have Information
Oct 14, 2009

Does anyone have information regarding this company, i.e., platform, flexibility in working time (no schedule?), anything you care to add, good or bad would be appreciated.  Thanks. ...

Fastchart - Looking For Information
Oct 22, 2009

Anyone work for Fastchart???  Looking for information before I dive in. ...

Help..someone With Information On Focus!
Dec 03, 2009

Could someone give me the dirt on Focus?  Hours, work, supervisors, QA, workload>  Thanks in advance!... ...

Information On Spectramedi?
Jan 08, 2010

Does anyone have any information on Spectramedi? What they pay and what kind of company they are to work for? Thanks. ...

Keystrokes Any Information?
Jan 11, 2010

I'm trying to find out some information about Keystrokes and Transcend, mostly Keystrokes.  Do they have a tiering system for their MTs?  If not, how do they classify you?  Do different accounts pay differently?  Also, how are the advancement opportunities there?  Thank you, thank you, and thank you again....(:D) ...

Anyone Have Information On STAR Med? (SM)
Jan 13, 2010

Anyone else apply for this position and not hear back from them?  TIA!! ...

Any Current Information On TTS
Jan 17, 2010

Would appreciate any current information on TTS, particular related to IC status.  Thanks much. ...

Current Information On TTS
Feb 01, 2010

Thinking of applying and just wondering about pay, platform, accounts etc. Any information would be good. I just want to make sure it is a good place to work.  From the archives, it looks like it is pretty mixed.  People either love it or hated it due to the strict scheduling.  Is the schedule still strict for ICs? Thanks in advance for your information. ...

Transolutions - Any Information
Feb 10, 2010

Does anyone have any information on Transolutions?  Thanks for any info you can provide. ...

Current Information On MD-IT?
Mar 07, 2010

Does anyone have any current information on MD-IT?   I searched the boards and the archives and found nothing.  If anyone could share any information at all, I would appreciate it, thanks. ...

NEW PARTICIPANT LOOKING FOR INFORMATION
Mar 08, 2010

i am going to start classes soon on coding and billing., a co-worker of mine were talking today and she was telling me about at home transcription., the coding and billing i also want to do at home.  She was telling me that this site is really good for findinig out information about beginning transcription and possibly what schools are the best that would not rip you off or lead you astray, also, what companies are the best., how do you know which ones are on the up and up and when you work ...

Specific Information For Your TAA
Mar 09, 2010

I just spoke with my TAA representative and he told me when you apply for UI through TAA, use the Medquist TAW#72153.  This is the official, approved number given to our beloved company proving they are getting rid of our American jobs to Indian workers.  The most important paragraph I found in the approved petition was: "All workers of MedQuist, Inc., Mount Laurel, New Jersey including workers at home sites throughout the United States, who became totally or partially separated from ...

Please, Please Given Information On DTS America....sm
Mar 15, 2010

I asked some questions below regarding DTS America and yet no answers.  I see there have been 97 onlookers.  Could someone please, please give me their experience, good or bad, with DTS America.  I am just looking for answers.  Ultimately I will make my own decision, but it is still good to communicate and learn of various experiences.  I have tested and tested and tested, and would definitely love to not waste my time with a company that is truly bogus.  I have ran ...