A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Caution To Students and New Grads - Scam Alert - Do MT Work (Internship) For Free - These companies are at it again

Posted: Mar 10, 2011

There is still another scam company out there offering to help "train" students and graduates. They will kindly let you do their real work, the work clients are paying them for. This is unacceptable and unethical. It will not look good on your resume because potential employers do not look kindly on this. If, for example, they find out that you did your 'internship' with XYZ Company, you will probably never know the reason why your resume was rejected or tossed.  Working for free for experience sounds like such a good idea if you went to a poor school and can't find a job, but it isn't a good idea, so don't be pressured into doing it. This is not the way to try to fix a poor MT education.

Working for experience - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Working for experience does not necessarily mean that a person went to a poor school. When I was in MT school doing an internship was a requirement to graduate and I was hired by the hospital where I interned. Many coders do internships as sometimes that is the only way to get a foot in the door. This is probably a different situation but don't assume that needing/wanting to intern means that a person's education was lacking.

Who are they? I don't want to waste time applying to them. nm - Noob

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I thought internships were unpaid - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought the nature of internships was to gain experience by working a certain period of time without pay. Years ago (many), I was not paid for my MA internship, and most currently, my granddaughter is doing internships for free (not in this field) to gain experience before graduating from college.

I did a summer long internship while going to - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
college without pay while getting my Associate Degree in Medical Records Administration (giving my age away with that terminology). I worked in all departments of the medical record department, not for pay, but for a grade. If it is something associated with the school for your grades then it is fine. If it is just to work for a company doing their work for no other reason than experience on your part and a free MT on theirs, it is not right at all.

What an internship IS - grad student

[ In Reply To ..]
It is often an UNPAID gig where you do the "real" job (repeat for no money) for a finite period of time.

So all the FIRE!!! screaming is really just that.

Companies that use interns to do MT work must have a high number of QA people since in most internships, the intern is overseen, mentored, guided, and TAUGHT by a mentor :) Wonder if that happens?

Similar Messages:

Any Andrews Students Or Grads?
May 08, 2010

I wondered if there are any current coding students or graduates from Andrews around?  I'm close to enrolling in their coding program, and I would really love to hear from others who have taken the course.  ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

Antivirus Scam Alert
Feb 25, 2014

On 10/8/13 I downloaded Antivirus Security Pro per instructions and they immediately charged my credit card $99.99.  It was started that I was automatically granted a 12-month access in which to re-download at any time.  When downloaded, there was an icon on the desktop and the program listed in the folder on C drive.  My old antivirus was still good, so I did not try to the product right away.  Around 11/1/13 did try it and it had disappeared, icon and program.  Tried t ...

Question For Andrews Grads/soon-to-be Grads
May 15, 2013

How long did it take you to go through their coding course?  Thanks! ...

Word Of Caution
Apr 11, 2013

Be VERY careful when pulling in standards.  I have noticed today  that a lot of those I have pulled in having spelling errors, punctuation errors and incorrect words being used. ...

Caution, Using The Private Email Function On This Board Allows A Traceable Path
Dec 05, 2014

...and Nuance HAS used this method for tracing negative comments and it resulted in folks being fired.  Remember, anyone can represent themselves as anyone on the public board and request, "please email privately," but I would never ever do this! I try to remember to post this every so often for anynone not already aware.     ...

MT Internship
Oct 28, 2009

I am wondering how many MT's currently working, did an internship. What are some favorite, basic reference materials? (on-line or hard copy) How do you use the BOS? What are the best study materials to strengthen grammar/puctuation ?   Look forward to connecting to others in this community.   From Vermont where the leaves are falling, Diane Mortier ...

Internship?
Nov 19, 2009

I am a new grad, and was wondering how to go about finding an internship? I know AHDI has one, but you must be an RMT. I, in no way, feel comfortable sitting for that test yet! LOL... I googled and found only 1, but they want you to pay them. Anyone have any ideas? Any advice would be much appreicated! Happy holidays to all! (Wow, seems funny to be saying that already. ) =)   ...

Internship Programs
Apr 27, 2011

I am almost finished with my MT course but feel I need more training.  I have heard about internship programs, specifically AIM mentoring program (Houck Transcription) and  Online Transcription Essentials Internship program, both had enrollment fees that aren't too bad.  What their advertising and what I am questiioning is it true that they do hire their interns after the program ends?   ...

Medworkshops/TNI Internship
May 16, 2011

Has anyone interned with TNI through Medworkshops or another school? I am currently interning and am starting to doubt my decision to go through this school and company. Thanks so much for any input. ...

Online Programs And Internship Hours?
Feb 27, 2011

One more question from me! HIM programs for an associate's degree usually require an internship which, of course, gives you experience in a hospital setting that will be valuable and possibly lead to a job. Do any of the online certificate programs do this? Did you have the opportunity while in school to do an internship that your school helped you set up? I am looking at Andrews and Career Step. Initially only Andrews but in reviewing more I have realized I can probably get a lot more fi ...

Inscribe Internship Program--anyone Get Hired After Completing?
Feb 28, 2011

Just wondering thoughts on this internship program...anyone complete it and get hired on? ...

Any M-Tec Grads On Here?
Oct 04, 2010

I have been researching an MT career and schools for about 3 months now.  I would love to be a WAHM so I do not have to pay daycare like a LOT of mothers out there. My SIL has been a medical transcriptionist for many years and is a walking advertisement for me.  I am still not totally convinced to put thousands of dollars into M-TEC and get training just to end up that money in the hole and jobless.  I know there are no guarantees in life.  I just want this to be a stepping ...

New Grads, This May Help
Nov 01, 2010

The first must have e-book you can get from AHDI getting your foot in the door 2 years experience not required.  I wished I knew about this book right out of school.  I spent months researching and did exactly what the book says.  It gives tips on reference materials, test, companies and looking for a job, resume tips.  EXCELLENT BOOK!  If you can join AHDI they offer webinars on things that might be helpful to you.  I have also talked to countless MT's who say ...

$10.50 Per Hour, NO NEW GRADS
Feb 11, 2012

Has anyone else seen the ad?  They want at least 3 years of experience (no new grads), with VR experience (so presumably this is doing VR), and one of the positions is doing op notes (op notes being the most difficult of the Basic 4 of acute care).  They will start her out at the whopping rate of $10.50 per hour!! Below someone advised another MT to mow lawns or take in laundry; there's more money in those.  They were right. ...

Question For WGU Grads Please
Jul 16, 2012

How many of you WGU graduates have passed the CCS? Thanks! ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

Best Paying Company That Will Take New Grads?
Jul 10, 2013

x ...

Andrews Grads, A Question For You
Jul 11, 2013

I was wondering how many hours it equates to on the transcript?    Thank you ...

Andrews Grads Anyone Taken The ICD-10 Transition Course
Apr 08, 2014

I just wondered if there were any Andrews grads who have taken their transition course yet?  ...

Calling All Andrews Grads
Jan 20, 2015

What prior profession did you come from? Were you able to pass the CCS after graduation? How long did it take you to find a job? Did your CCS help even though you had no coding experience? What kind of entity are you working for? Are you glad you chose Andrews? Any other comments for me? (I am about to apply there) ...

Question For Andrews School Grads
Nov 20, 2013

Okay -- I think I've made my decision to not go back to my local community college after I finish ICD-9 fall semester.  I just don't feel it is giving me what I need, and it is not preparing me to pass anything.  Most of the students in my class are taking coding as just another class they have to pass so they can move on to something else.  I am paying a lot of money because I'm out of state, and I don't feel like I'm getting value.  I've n ...

Career Coding Step Grads??
Apr 21, 2015

Any Career Step grads on here who were able to get a good paying REMOTE job right after finishing the course? How long did it take you?  I know they only get you ready for the CPC and CCA (versus CCS).....and how soon after finishing were you able to sit for and pass the CCS?  ...

How Long Did It Take Andrews' Grads To Finish Course?
Apr 22, 2015

I'm getting ready to enroll in the Andrews program. I was just curious how long it took previous grads with families and working? I currently work 30 hours weekly & have 2 children. I realize it could be 12-18 mos. before I finish and everybody's different, so looking for a rough idea of how it went for others.  Thanks! ...

Any VLC Students Out There?
Dec 22, 2009

Are any other VLC students out there hearing anything from VLC?  (See my earlier post...)  My emails don't seem to be getting through, I can't get hold of them on the phone - just voicemail - and they've not returned the message I left.  Two assignments I sent 9 days ago have not been reviewed.  $1500 for this course was way too much to be left in the air like this, never mind the 18 months of work for nothing!  Their forums are down so I� ...

How Many MT Students Do You Think There Are?
Mar 27, 2011

I know that there are a lot of programs, but does anyone know how many actual students there are or new graduates each year?  Will there be enough jobs to support that many students/new grads or will there not be enough new MTs to fill positions? I am very curious about this as I am considering medical transcription and the information out there is confusing. ...

Question For New Students
Jun 06, 2010

There was a rash of new coders signing up for coding courses down below.  How is it going?  We would love to hear from you about what you are experiencing so far.   ...

Andrews Students...
Feb 06, 2012

For those of you who are past or present Andrews students... how did you/are you paying for your course? I know you can either put a down payment or pay in full.  Just curious, thanks. ...

Coding Students
May 19, 2013

I am just wondering if any other coding students sometimes feel so overwhelmed, especially trying to work full time and study. I knew going into this that it wasn't going to be easy. One thing I have learned through all of this is that, yes there is a code for that, but you need to learn how to find it (even if it doesn't make one bit of sense)! :) ...

Pass Of Free Flow Or Passive Free Flow?
Feb 04, 2011

Negative aspiration and pass of free flow of saline into the peritoneum was observed. or is it passive free flow of saline? ...