A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Performance Management - Kiki1

Posted: Oct 12, 2010

I haven't been put on PM yet but fear I might.  Got an email that said I had a "low-scoring feedback report."  It was for using follow up instead of followup (I know better) and then omitting the word "the."  Now, I will own up to these mistakes, they WERE my mistakes, but by no means life-threatening in any case.  But apparently this caused my score to drop below 98%.  Now I'm terrified they are going drop my pay by 3 cents a line, and I am already in danger of not being able to pay the rent this month.    If they are not happy with an MTs work they should just let them go.  Fire them.  But no, they don't really want to do that.  They WANT you to keep working but at a highly reduced rate.  So they nit pick.  And how hard to you think it will be to find these type of errors on anyone's reports.  They basically force you to push hard and go as fast as possible to make a decent living.  They throw you to the wolves in unfamiliar work so it's pretty inevitable that you will make a mistake here and there.  Then when they catch it, there ya go--they have what they need to cut your pay.  Not right at all.  My important question:  Is it possible to get unemployment for the time that I might be on performance management, even if it were only a week or two?  Can I get unemployment for just that time? And does this low-scoring report immediately put me in performance management?  Do they TELL you that your are on it or do they just cut your pay w/o telling you?     

Performance management is a process and you - will be notified of it ... sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are in performance management, they will have a meeting with you and discuss where/why you are not meeting requirements and give you a plan to get up to the requirements. They will tell you when/how your work will be reviewed again to see if you are progressing. So, being in PM is not a surprise nor behind closed doors.

About the pay, they would have to meet with you concerning that, as well.

Thank you n/m - Kiki1

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Performance Management - de

[ In Reply To ..]
I was on performance management about 2 years ago due to my production. I was kept on it for 6 pay periods and during that time I made sure I increased my production. If you do not improve while on performance management, the next step is a warning in writing of what needs to improve.

Okay but did you get your pay cut during those 6 pay periods?n/m - Kiki1

[ In Reply To ..]
s

No pay cut during performance management nm - de

[ In Reply To ..]
aa

I thought it was follow up (two words) or follow-up - if a noun like "return for

[ In Reply To ..]
a follow-up." Guess I would be low scoring also. I never use followup. I have researched it and never have been extremely sure of what to use. So I put "the patient is to follow up with his physician," or "the patient is to have a follow-up with his physician."

You Are Correct - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct in your examples, but the hyphen isn't necessary. Followup exam. Patient will follow up. Follow-up exam is not incorrect, so that is not fair that you got marked down for that.

I think there's confusion because some are seeing it as a compound modifier, where hyphens are used. However, followup is a perfectly acceptable word and is used as the adjective. The hyphen is totally not necesssary here.

So the patient was instructed to "follow up" or the - patient was instructed to

[ In Reply To ..]
see his physician for a "followup." I must have slept that day at school, but I have it now!!! I have never felt totally sure when I typed it.

followup/follow up - QA gal

[ In Reply To ..]
From what I read below, your use of the two were correct but it's real easy for anyone to get them confused as we start going so fast. There's a QA on my sites that will remove the hypen on my "follow-up" when I'm doing MT but it's not wrong with the hypen, so you shouldn't have been marked off for that on an audit.

One of my sites will mark us off on site review if we leave out a word, it doesn't matter if it's "a" or "the". It irks me as QA 'cause I hate having to be that much of a perfectionist but the client screams to high heaven so it's gotta be done.

Hugs to you Kiki. Hope it all works out well for you.

Thank you QA gal........... - Kiki1

[ In Reply To ..]
I really did hate that I got marked off for followup/follow up because I KNOW when to use each...what happened was it was an ASR report and I didn't catch it used incorrectly. My fault, but still, that's not going to kill anybody.

Once again, I really have NO problem being accountable for my work being as accurate as possible; I just don't agree with MQ's punishment tactics...docking pay, especially for non-critical things like followup/follow up or a missed comma here or there. It SHOULD be pointed out. WE SHOULD be striving for 98% or better accuracy WHEN POSSIBLE, but that isn't always possible when we have so many factors such as horrible dictators, terrible audio, and having to remember 15 different Client Profiles in a single day.

You're welcome and I agree - QA gal

[ In Reply To ..]
I completely agree that their "punishement" tactics are not right. I was audited recently and was dinged for not correcting a mistake the MT made that wasn't one of the markers. The report wasn't 100% QA so I'm not supposed to QA it all but yet I'm still held accountable for not fixing mistakes that fall outside the markers. It just makes me shake my head. I passed the audit but if I hadn't I would have made a fuss over that.

Maybe this is why some of the QA are so nitpicky. I never realized I'd be audited on parts of the document I didn't really QA.

Back to your report, ASR does make it tricky to catch those little things like followup/follow up but they still count against us. Like you said as well, having 15 different CPs to keep straight doesn't help either. It really does feel like they WANT us to fail.

Thank you QA gal - kittykat

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, those client profiles are something. I have one account where it is absolutely verbatim and one where it is also absolutely verbatim except always change the verbiage case. Some sentences are so awkard that you cannot tell what the verbiage should be and who has time to sit there and dissect the sentence and you cannot change the wording. I have never been dinged, though, but just wait till I do! I am not an English major.

differences in usage - flying fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Adjective -- follow-up -- as in, "His follow-up labs were normal."

Noun -- followup -- as in, "He was seen in followup by Dr. Jekyll."

Verb -- follow up -- as in, "He was asked to follow up in 2 weeks."

I use followup for both adj. and noun - and forget the hyphen

[ In Reply To ..]
easier for me that way, and they are the same.
followup/follow-up - Angelina
[ In Reply To ..]
Per my QC, either followup or follow-up are correct for the noun and adj. uses.

I was happy about that email because there's a QA on my accounts that loves to remove the hypen on "follow-up." Always good to know I'm NOT wrong (even though I already know this, haha)

follow up/followup/follow-up is one of my pet peeves. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter what I put, one QA will change it, yet another will not. If I change according to one QA's input, the other will contradict it. ASR goes both ways, never consistent on how it spells it.

Low QA score - MTr

[ In Reply To ..]
Ask them to re-score. Going under 98% due to followup versus follow up and leaving out the--something is very wrong.

It probably is because a small line count for the report. - On a small report you can fail QA easily.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

that makes no sense at all.. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
if you make an error in a report, it is just that. An error. It should not be counted more against you on a short report versus a long report, as it is still "the same error."

It is rediculous that followup would be less of an error on a long report but more of an error on a short report.

Each report should start at 100% if perfect. If you get a 1 point error, your score is 99%. If you get a 3 point error, your score is 97%, but NO... NOT AT THE Q... if you make a 1 point error on a short report, your score could be 91%... GO FIGURE.
I agree and tried to push that scoring method. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
However, the AHDI upholds an APS scoring method - accuracy percentage scoring. This takes into consideration the length of the report.

A long report could pass with a critical error while a short report fail with a minor error. Completely unfair to the MT, inaccurate to the client and misses the goal of the quality audit process.

Similar Messages:

Performance Management?
Jan 20, 2014

Would like to hear about personal experiences with performance management......Anyone having a difficult time meeting expectations in production and/or quality?  ...

Questions About Performance Management
Feb 19, 2014

Does anyone who goes on Performance Management ever come off again, or does it inevitably result in a layoff/firing or quitting? Is this usually done after failing the 3rd audit? What usually happens when you fail your second audit?  I've only failed one but I'm trying to put a plan together in case there's a 2nd.  ...

Curious How Many Are On Performance Management...
Aug 07, 2014

I failed for the month of July at 9.38 so will be moving onto my final warning...I would love to know how many others are going through the same...Just makes me feel stupid and inadequate.  :(  Probably unemployment line for me soon.  So humiliating.   ...

Don't Berate Yourselves For Performance Management
Aug 07, 2014

It's clearly just a maneuver to save them money.  The more of us on performance management, the less they have to pay us.  I'm sure it is a monstrous savings to them. Failed my first audit this month.  The minute I'm put on performance management is the minute I'm filing for social securty and changing my phone number.   ...

Performance Management Question
Sep 03, 2014

Could/would someone please tell me where I can find information outlining performance management steps. TIA. ...

Performance Management/Swap Board
Sep 28, 2010

I find that Swap Board is useless, there are never any hours to "swap"  Also, am in performance management . They are findings ways to fire me.  I want to know about unemployment, does anyone know I am new to Oregon and do not know the laws.  I asked to be on an account that has no ASR and was denied being told that 80% of MQ's work is ASR now. ...

2/3 Of Team On Performance Management... Nice.
Jul 14, 2014

Of over 100 MTs/MMEs on my team, only 32 are eligible for the "contest."  In any other company/industry it might make management take a second look at their policies when the majority is on the naughty list...  ...

Just Received An Email About Performance Management Mentoring
Jun 28, 2012

I just received an email about Performance management mentoring.  Those of you who have had it, what exactly is it that they do?   TIA ...

Softscript - Past Performance Is Any Indication Of Future Performance
Jan 30, 2012

to download.  That's frutiy.  Managment of workflow has changed too.  They have been putting H and P's that are more than two hours old through.  That's fruity.  Jobs come totally out of order based on job numbers and date stamp.  That's fruity.  They will never get it together if past performance is any indication of future performance.  ...

QCs/performance Coaches
Nov 05, 2013

is there something going on with QC/perf coaches? got an email from mine today saying she was no longer our QC, no details ...

Performance Punishment
Mar 31, 2014

Are there any companies out there who do NOT punish their good employees?  I have never worked a place yet where good performance is NOT punished.  We're the "go-to" employees.  We're the ones who can always be depended on, work overtime, do more than the required work, report to work on-time, and rarely or never call in sick.  We're the ones who are told we're invaluable, indispensable, and that our company wishes they could "clone."  Then what happ ...

Performance Mgmt
Jul 13, 2014

on perf mgmt cause failed auditx wiht 99.34 or something like that. got verbal warning in ultipro. what happens next? ...

Performance Coach
Dec 29, 2014

Has anyone ever had issues or been targeted by performance coach?  If so, how did you handle it?  Thanks. ...

To Performance Coach
Mar 05, 2015

Most of us are typing for many, many different hospitals.  If you send out e-mails lumping all the hospitals together with helpful hints on what we are doing wrong and what we should be doing, where should we be filing these e-mails for future reference?  If we take too long to try to find the info in your e-mails, that gets counted against us in the Inactivity Graft that we have to stare at each day.  Unless you have a better suggestion, could you please simply split up ...

If You Disagree With Something On Your Performance Eval
Jul 20, 2010

and you refuse to sign it, will it make a difference?  Or should one refuse to sign it and go over the head of your immediate supervisor since obviously your supervisor and you disagree? ...

Webmedx MTs. Look At The Performance Metrics...
Nov 06, 2010

...on the community page.  Nearly every employee I see is meeting or exceeding their minimum required line count.  The numbers speak for themselves.  They make these numbers available for anyone in the company to see.  The posts on MTStars make it sound like there is absolutely no work for anyone.  It is simply untrue.  I am an Webmedx MT.  I am not a suit.  I am happy with my job.   I too am tired of the constant bashing and conspiracy t ...

Software To Improve Performance?
Dec 03, 2010

I am having a computer problem hope you can help...I have a laptop that I had to replaced the hard drive in about 6 weeks or so ago.  When we first got it back, it worked faster than before.  Now, less than 2 months later, it is really slow.  I defragment the hard drive once a week, etc. but it has not helped.  The PC that I use for work (I do not use for anything but work) never has had a problem with getting slower but with the laptop it is bad.  Of cous ...

Anyone Else Receive A Performance Mentor??
Apr 12, 2012

:) ...

Apparently Performance Mentoring
May 03, 2012

I have just learned. ...

Performance Review And Increase
Aug 28, 2012

I have a feeling I am going to get laughed right off of this page, but here goes. At any point does Nuance offer a performance review and/or pay increase?  Also, has anyone ever threatened to quit and were offered an increase to stay?   ...

Exactly What Is The Performance Action Plan ?
Sep 25, 2014

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread. I'm wondering exactly what the peformance action plan is. Are any of you on this and what is the reason behind why you were put on it. TIA.  ...

What Happened To The Old Performance Coaches
Oct 27, 2014

are they still here? ...

Oh Great. New Performance Coach.
Jan 09, 2015

This is the 3rd one since being put in this pod. I liked the last one because she was laid back, calm, answered the actual question you asked and actually gave useful nonshaming advice. The first PC I had in this group was hyperactive, never could seem to understand or answer the question asked, always had something to say about absolute correctness, and never let you get a word in edgewise if you tried talking to her on the phone. We'll see about this one. She sounds like she might be ...

For Those Of You Who Are Having Your Pay Docked For Poor Performance
Jan 17, 2015

Here is a link you may be interested in. http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/10/29/8-workplace-rights-your-employer-might-not-tell-you-about ...

Work Pools/performance Punishment... What To Do?
Oct 21, 2009

It has become obvious that a company is putting us in work pools, NOT to get improved TAT, but to either play favorites or to give the primo/better dictators to the MTs who cannot handle the crappiest dictators.  I have noted that I have had the same lousy dictators over and over again, no matter what time of day I work or which days of the week.   I never seem to get the ones that I consider better dictators, nor do I seem to be getting the long consults (which I also like).  ...

Performance Metrics Coming For Doctors
Nov 16, 2012

Interesting reading at family practice office this week, publication for Family Physician Practice, saying how software developers are working feverishly on new products for physician offices where they will choose their diagnoses and what-have-you from drop-down menu (yes, that will completely eliminate transcription). Problems arising already with "trials", where docs weren't making "right" choices with their documentation. (They were not taking enough time with modifiers, etc.) It ...

Performance Improvement Plan, Need Advice
Oct 04, 2013

I'd appreciate any advice about this. I normally have scores between 98 and 99, a few weeks I was over 99. Anyway, I have been put on a Performance Improvement Plan and have 1 week to get 99 or over. If I don't, I will be put on a PIP from HR which sounds ominous but I don't know what that means. Please let me know what to expect and if I am danger of being fired. Thanks! ...

Question To Performance Coaches And HDSMs
Jun 12, 2014

When we, the MTs/MMEs are dealing with a truly horrendous dictator that just about everyone except for a small handfull of people are having great difficulty understanding, why don't you take all (and there are truly so many) of the reports corrected by this small handful of MMEs and copy them to the Repository where blanks can be more efficiently searched for?  Are you going to say that it is too difficult to deal with the group that gets the reports into the Repository, just as ...

90 Day Performance Review Includes Weeks Without Work!
Oct 14, 2010

I have just reached my 90 day evaluation period with a company but they are saying that I have not reached my 1000 line count per day and that they are putting me back to "part time" employee status because of it.  I won't get any holiday pay accumulating now.  What bugs me is that for a few weeks they didn't have any work available to me and they are including this time to average my line counts.  I do well over 1000 lines per day when there is work.  Also, they as ...

Not Management
Mar 08, 2010

I am not management!  You just don't get it.  I hate to say it, but many of you are too miserable here to see the good... for whatever reasons.   I am an MT.  I'm tempted to put my real name and MQ e-mail, but what for.  I've said what I did because I am doing okay, because I have been through frightening changes before with MQ and it has always worked out.  It seems foolish to tell you my real name though, as you mostly are a bunch of whining loser ...