A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

For those of you who are having your pay docked for poor performance - Chi-town MT

Posted: Jan 17, 2015

Here is a link you may be interested in. http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/10/29/8-workplace-rights-your-employer-might-not-tell-you-about

Question about this - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It would seem to me that Nuance has broken rules #1 and #4. So, who do we contact about this? A labor attorney or the labor board or someone else?

Also, can overtime be colleced retroactively? - (i.e., after we dont work there anymore?)

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I don't think they have broken #1--sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Our pay is basically .07/line and anything over that based on QA or QC percentage is like a bonus/differential. No matter what, they guarantee that .07 you technically have the ability to earn more than that.

The labor laws where I live state this - regarding docking pay for poor performance

[ In Reply To ..]
In general, employers may not apply fines to an employee's earned wages or compensation based upon employee behavior or performance.

It sure sounds to me like that is what they are doing, when our line rate is lowered to 7 and 8 cents per line for making errors or having to leave more blanks than allowed.

I'm contacting the labor board here to find out if anything can be done about it.

Acusis always asks us to do #4. :( - Suckitacusis

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Softscript - Past Performance Is Any Indication Of Future Performance
Jan 30, 2012

to download.  That's frutiy.  Managment of workflow has changed too.  They have been putting H and P's that are more than two hours old through.  That's fruity.  Jobs come totally out of order based on job numbers and date stamp.  That's fruity.  They will never get it together if past performance is any indication of future performance.  ...

Docked For Too Much QA
Jun 29, 2012

Does anyone know if it is an industry standard to begin penalizing an MT as soon as he/she comes off full QA on a new account for access QA submissions?  The "First Time Right" policy is very unclear about when the dock in pay is supposed to start. When an MT starts a new platform AND a new account AND Speech Rec on that new platform all at once, isn't there usually a grace period of some kind? ...

How Do You Know If Your Pay Is Being Docked For
May 12, 2015

x ...

How Are We Supposed To Know When We Are Docked?
Mar 02, 2010

Bad enough that they pay us less for ASR and now we may be getting paid less for sending through QA markers - how are we supposed to know when we are getting paid less and how can they pay us so many different rates?  There is so much room for error and we will never know when we are getting ripped off!  This whole thing sounds underhanded!  ...

First Time Right - MMEs Will Be Docked If Over 10%, Then 5% Later?
Mar 03, 2010

Really, there are a lot of times where something is just not interpretable, no sound, etc.  That will be kind of nice that we don't have to send reports to QA for those types of things.  That would be most of why I usually have to leave a QA marker.  So really, when I think about it, it may not be as bad as everyone is thinking.  (Trying to look at the bright side :-) Has anyone heard if MMEs will be docked if over 10%, then 5% later, of their reports are sent through to the client ...

Getting Docked For Sending Work To QA :(
May 31, 2010

Why should we be docked for sending work to QA especially when there is an issue with poor audio quality, having a job that is incomplete or simply not being able to find the correct address even after we have spent time doing the propper research. This is as ludicrous as it would be if the phone company decided to charge us extra to call 911. ...

Well, It's Real Now. 3 Cents Docked On Reports Sent To QA For 4 New
Mar 08, 2012

I just cannot do this.   I lose pay because I read specs and utilize QA trying to do a good job for the client. I sure hope some job offers come through soon.  Just don't know how long mentally I can work for this company.  It is as horrible a place as I had heard. You have to go to Utilipro and pay details to see your actual line rate.  If you have MTQA or SRQA showing on your pay stub itself as a category, welcome to M*Modal. You just lost some ...

Poor Audio
Mar 09, 2010

Doesn't it just seem wrong when you can hear the neighboring doctor's dictation better than you can YOUR dictator?  Do they just hand the phone across the way and say "would you hold this for me?"  ...

Poor Concentration With SR
Mar 29, 2012

Has anyone had a really hard time concentrating since going to speech recognition work, and figured out how to overcome it??  I've tried using the on line clock, and find that I am actually getting about 5 hours in within my 8 hours.  Seems like the harder I try to concentrate the more my mind wanders. ...

Seriously? They Think The Poor Editing Is Due To The Red Box????
Aug 28, 2012

The red box does not bother me at all.  What bothers me is the lousy 4 cpl for the edited report which I think is more work.   Maybe THAT'S what causes the poor editing.  ...

Poor Dictators
Jun 05, 2015

There are some weekends where the dictation is tolerable.  This must be MM's "idiot dictators weekend" because that is all I've had today.  Ranging from the moron who tries to dictate with so much static on the line that I have to leave 15+ blanks because SR didn't "recognize" anything to the dumb one that dictates 300 seconds of a report but leaves the phone off the hook so I get to hear conversations, intercoms, beeping, phones ringing, banging, etc., for 1500 seconds. ...

Remarkably Poor Webmedx
Sep 01, 2010

. ...

Poor Quality - Vent
Sep 02, 2011

Working for one of my prn jobs yesterday and had to look in the patient's chart to get information.  Found a hospital discharge summary on the patient dictated by a doctor I also type for in a different group and was appalled at the poor quality of the transcription.  In the first line was transcribed that the patient was transferred from HAMSTER Hospital - nope, no Hamster hospitals around here - then an easy blank in the review of systems and another in the physical exam pl ...

Brain Fog, Poor Concentration
Sep 15, 2011

Does anyone have brain fog and difficulty concentrating when listening to speakers sometimes?  If so, what do you do to help clear the cobwebs so you can get back and focus on the work?  I can use any tips you may have.  Thanks in advance. ...

Sound Quality Very Poor
Aug 31, 2012

Is it me or is it that the sound quality is getting worse and worse on these accounts.  Ever since last year when they had the town hall meeting saying they were making improvements (e mails, etc.) and then they got bought, seems all that improving stopped.  Half of the work I get every day or more are simple inaudible, I cannot hear or the static is so bad, or the sound so low, I have to send to QA b/c these are not intelligible. Is it me, or has it always been this bad?  We are ...

Extremely Poor Treatment
Dec 11, 2012

I work for 96 physicians who (rightfylly so) expect the best and fastest quality transciption. However, when seen as a patient, I get the most horrid treatment (and fradulent) treatment possible (most most by clients.) I not only receive "steroid" injections that obviously have no steroids (only receive a few hours of pain relief) to dental care with crowns falling off after 2 weeks (I have had temporary crowns on as long as 3-4 years). These temporary crowns are put in and appointments reschedu ...

ESL & Poor Dictator Stress
Feb 01, 2013

No more microscopic QA dissection for me. My new plan is to shoot the job full of blanks and send it in - far less stressful for sure. Each and every time I hear something that I am not 100% sure of - they get a blank. This is not now nor was it ever MY personal problem. Today I'm quite tired of being penalized for someone else's inability to dictate clear enough to perfectly discern what was said. No more cleaning up sentences either. QA: Verbatim you want? Verbatim you get. ...

What Would Cause Such Poor Sound Quality? Sm
Mar 26, 2013

I know my hearing has not changed but it seems that the sound quality of the dictation lately has changed.  It doesn't matter whether I'm using a cphone or downloaded voice files.  On A LOT of the dictations there seems to be a whooshing sound (for lack of a better description) in the background.   On others there seems to be a squeaking sound as if the doctor is playing with the phone cord.  Is this because the docs are now dictating directly into the computer ...

Poor Sound Quality
Oct 07, 2013

Almost ALL reports done so far this a.m. have had the worst quality.  Dictation cutting in and out, muffled speech, turning head away from phone, shuffling of papers, talking in background.  COME ON!!!  This job is difficult enough.  Quit wasting my time on this garbage.  ARGH. ...

Poor Patient Was Just Subjected
Dec 05, 2013

a transrectal echocardiogram... or so the VR thought!  ...

POOR QUALITY AUDIO
May 29, 2014

Trying to finish my shift for Mmodal.  Doing maintenance on phones, but what a ride it's been trying to do transcription.  The audio is all garbled like an old loop system that has been used to the max.  Leaving more blanks that transcribed product on the page.  There are going to be some  unhappy docs over this. ...

Poor Management Or Do They Want Us To Quit
Mar 21, 2015

NJA.  Call work flow # and they say there are no jobs throughout the company.  Get e-mail stating there is still mandatory OT.  Beyond frustraiting. ...

Help Poor Sound Quality Report
Apr 03, 2011

Please HELP!!!  What is the policy when you have a 22 minute dictation and the sound quality is so poor you can only understand may be every 4th or 5th word/phrase.  I already have about 25 blanks and I'm only about 5 minutes in.  I have been a tier 3 MT for 12+ years and am not trying to pass the buck here.  I believe it is actually a mechanical malfunction on his end.  There are times when it is dead silent and I can't tell if he is dictating or not through i ...

InScribe Poor Sound Quality
Oct 14, 2012

I'm just wondering if poor sound quality (very muffled) can be due to other things than dictator using cell phone, etc.  I recently started working with Inscribe, and sometimes it seems like every single dictator is very hard to hear clearly (static, overall muffled, etc), so I'm wondering if it's something to do with a temporary condition related to the Inscribe platform/server or the hospital.   Before this account, I got all my dictation over the phone, so this is new to m ...

Source Of Problem With MT Is Poor Dictation.
Aug 15, 2014

Even with bad pay and clunky platforms, a somewhat living wage could be eked out if they just did their part correctly. I think this is the real problem with MT, not MTSOs, nor offshoring, nor VR. Garbage in, garbage out. ...

Punished For Blanks Because Of Poor Dictators
Apr 01, 2015

Vent time.....just my 2 cents.  It really irritates me that MTs pay has come down to this,  based on the type of system that this employer has put into place, which reduces our pay even more because of poor quality doctors that the hospitals employ.  One fine example, an MT only allowed to leave 1 blank before sending to QA, but QA is allowed to leave 4 before sending on...SO, 2 or more people have now listened to this report and STILL have to leave blanks, and for YEARS this comp ...

Performance Management
Oct 12, 2010

I haven't been put on PM yet but fear I might.  Got an email that said I had a "low-scoring feedback report."  It was for using follow up instead of followup (I know better) and then omitting the word "the."  Now, I will own up to these mistakes, they WERE my mistakes, but by no means life-threatening in any case.  But apparently this caused my score to drop below 98%.  Now I'm terrified they are going drop my pay by 3 cents a line, and I am already in danger of not being able to ...

QCs/performance Coaches
Nov 05, 2013

is there something going on with QC/perf coaches? got an email from mine today saying she was no longer our QC, no details ...

Performance Management?
Jan 20, 2014

Would like to hear about personal experiences with performance management......Anyone having a difficult time meeting expectations in production and/or quality?  ...

Performance Punishment
Mar 31, 2014

Are there any companies out there who do NOT punish their good employees?  I have never worked a place yet where good performance is NOT punished.  We're the "go-to" employees.  We're the ones who can always be depended on, work overtime, do more than the required work, report to work on-time, and rarely or never call in sick.  We're the ones who are told we're invaluable, indispensable, and that our company wishes they could "clone."  Then what happ ...