A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My TCM, or whatever her initials are, told me her understanding - is the program will not be accredited, SM

Posted: Mar 12, 2014

So 2 1/2 years of working for MM, at who knows what pay, only to end that amount of time with nothing to show for it that might be able to be used to get a job for a better company.  Is it very likely you could get a coding job elsewhere with nothing but MM experience?

if you learn - ICD-10

[ In Reply To ..]
and you get proficient at it, there will be nothing stopping you from getting your CPC.

So what % of coders do you think have gone on to test on - their own and gotten certified? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Something being possible and something actually being accomplished are 2 different things.

When I tested - CPC

[ In Reply To ..]
There was 1 person there who had coding experience, all the rest (me included) had no working experience. She finished the test an hour before everyone else. The experience is very important. If you have the experience, you can get a study guide and practice tests and pass the CPC exam. Then you're certified and can get a better job.

Maybe . . . here's what I would do - student

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd take it. I'd take it and milk it for every last bit of knowledge that m-modal gave me. At the same time, I'd look into a good coding school. If it ended up that MModal was not going to teach me enough to get certified, I'd do it on my own. So then, two years later, I'd have my certification and my experience and I'd be golden. That's how you would easily "write your own coding ticket" as some people are saying.
Andrews says training is 15 to 30 hours a week of study. For MM - you must work 40 hours a week. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
You will meet yourself coming and going between 40 hours of work and maybe 30 hours of studying. hope you dont have a life or a family.
Welcome to my life -- no one said it would be easy - student
[ In Reply To ..]
Only that it was doable.
Never mind. - Misunderstood the post..
[ In Reply To ..]
-
What are you talking about? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you work at MModal? Did you read the e-mail about this program?

You don't work 40 hours a week in addition to the program. You work 20 hours a week. You have online "classes" and study time 20 hours a week. Yeah, you probably will need a few hours of your own time to study now and then.

The email clearly states and in all caps that the training will be INTENSE. It was not presented as being a cake walk. If you feel you are up to the challenge go for it.

Yes, I work for MM and read the email. 20 hours work - plus 20 hours studying equal 40 hours SM.
[ In Reply To ..]
Poster said do the MM program while taking a credited coding course of which Andrews is the best and they say their course requires 15-30 hours a week of studying and practice. So you have to give 40 hours to MM on top of possible 30 hours of study in an acredited course. Not complicated. Did you read that post about what the poster would do?
Sigh - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The 20 hours of "training" apparently includes study time (as per the e-mail).

However, that is truly irrelevant. It will indeed require some effort to succeed. As do most things in life.

Nope, not what she said - Point to be made here
[ In Reply To ..]
She did not say anything about doing MM and Andrews at the same time. If you think she did, I advise that you not apply to the coding program because you have a problem understanding what you read, and that problem will make coding miserable or impossible for you.
i am already going to school full time and its doable - argue for your limitations and they are yours
[ In Reply To ..]
get out of your own way!

Just wondering if one should go to an accomplished MD who did - not go to an accredited medical school??? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Right, because that is a fair comparison to - someone who puts a number in a chart

[ In Reply To ..]
Coders get the bills paid. They don't kill people. An MT is more likely to kill someone and most of us have no accreditation. Geeez people.

It doesn't sound very likely at all. I think that's - probably part of the plan. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
MM isn't about quality of work, it's about QUANTITY. (Pretty obvious when you look at all the VR and India transcription, right?) So the <> solution for them is to 'train' future coders to be able to do just enough to GET BY, using their automated coding system, but not give them the tools they would need to ESCAPE.

Totally laughable. People that are falling for this are like flies drawn to that pretty yellow sticky paper.

i give up - ICD-10

[ In Reply To ..]
you all seem to have the notion that MM is teaching some "other" kind of coding. They aren't. They are teaching ICD-10, and if you learn it you can sit for the CPC. Furthermore, they are required to have certified coders working for them. REQUIRED. So you'd have to be certified, right?

Maybe the Indians are certified and that counts, lol. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Nail hit squarely on the head! LOL - Not a Sheeple
[ In Reply To ..]

How good have they been at "teaching" transcription? - And coding is supposedly harder.

[ In Reply To ..]

Maybe facilities that will use MM for coding are willing to have it done - by non certified coders. But that SM

[ In Reply To ..]
doesnt mean any other facility will be willing to hire an uncertified coder
as you wish - ICD-10 nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes, it is hopeless - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You simply cannot present reason and logic into a conversation with people who refuse to acknowledge those two things.

Just because some of us aren't prone to paranoid conspiracy theories doesn't mean we are sheeple or little flies on sticky yellow paper.

Blindly believing your former abuser has suddenly - changed for the better? Hmmmm.
[ In Reply To ..]
What's that called again? Oh, yeah: The Stockholm Syndrome.
Well, I haven't been abused. - I like MModal
[ In Reply To ..]
I am good enough at my job that it pays well, great supervisor, great accounts, great schedule. Is that abuse? Guess I have a different definition of the word.

You assume that everyone shares your life experience. Not so.

I think the coding program is a fantastic offer. I will certainly be leaping on it.

You have your reality and I have mine.
I love your optimism. - Ciddi
[ In Reply To ..]
It's so "fresh".
how is it going to hurt you - if I take coding?
[ In Reply To ..]
I mean seriously. If I take the coding course and become a coder, this hurts you how?
Because, you, you, you... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
you ask a good question there, yes you do.

LOL, I think you are wasting your breath trying to reason - with the Doom and Gloom Brigade

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, as far as I am concerned, let them talk this program down some more! The ever creative ways this opportunity is being spun into some evil conspiracy has been providing me much amusement in the last couple of days.

I figure the fewer MTs that want to try the coding program, the better my chances for getting in. It's a win-win for me.
True. It's always a "win" for management. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe should make a screen shot of this page so in 6 months - we can verify who is correct here. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I remember the MMEs thinking it was such a great deal also - then their pay was slashed
[ In Reply To ..]
?
no my pay was not - slashed as you say
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm still happy to be an MME. Nobody "slashed" my pay when I became one. I made 32K here last year. What did you make?
I know, right? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It is rather amusing, especially as it spins further and further into lala land.

Yes, people the MModal powers are rubbing their hands together right now, bwahahahaing away. This coder program is just the thing my little pretty ones.

Well that is the nail - KVO

[ In Reply To ..]
To me, if they will not go to the trouble of becoming accredited, this opportunity is only suited to those with one foot in the grave. Anyone planning to be working for 3 years or more would best go to an accredited school. There are several posts on coder board which state it is very difficult to "train yourself" and advised even against on-line. You need an experienced instructor to show you how to use a phonebook.

Wait, what? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Who is "training themselves?" It is a 3 month corporate sponsored training program with a 3 month apprenticeship and 2 years of work experience.

So where is this "self-training" thing of which you speak?

sorry not clear - KVO

[ In Reply To ..]
Was responding to numerous posts above questioning how many people pass the exams - from schools, home training, etc. Referring to a detailed post on coder board about bad/good schools, on-line training, instructors, etc.

I wonder what their "tuition" is compared to the schools. - on the hook

[ In Reply To ..]
Definitely a need to know item if you have to bail (because of a life event) before your 2 years are up.

Someone posted was told you have to pay back the hours - of training at the rate you are paid SM

[ In Reply To ..]
while training. Andrews charges 3800, included books, and they have a 2 year payment plan and dont charge interest

Pure speculation by a TSM - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
No one knows yet.

Orientation is on 24th and 25th. Please for the love of all that is holy, stop speculating and wait for the actual real details.

Wait, never mind, don't, this is hilarious.

So, at $15 benefit rate, it would take 253.33 hours to - equal Andrews cost of training SM

[ In Reply To ..]
which would take 63 days of training. sounds like if you have to pay MM back for the 3 months training, you are going to pay back more than it would cost to get Andrews training that will get you certified.
Okay - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Here is a plan. if you don't want to work for MModal for 2 years, don't take the test and don't take the program.

You are welcome.

Similar Messages:

Why Are We Told This Is Slow Time Of Year? MTSO Told Me This
Dec 09, 2010

make up all late reports, etc for the end of the year.  At my MTSO it is anything but slow, Getting lots of reports from Sept and Oct. ...

Help With Understanding QC%
Mar 12, 2015

Wow!  I kinda wish I came across these posts about Nuance before I started working for them a few months ago!  I have had good luck so far with QA scores between 99-99.6%, but this week, unless I get at least 2 more 100% postaudit jobs (which I doubt), I will not be so fortunate :( But, I am still extremely lost on QC% and how that is calculated.  I cannot get a straight answer other than it is system generated weekly from my TSM.  I wish I could find out what factors are in ...

Understanding HIPAA
Jan 21, 2010

I am trying to get a grasp on understanding HIPAA.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find "easy-to-understand" HIPAA rules?  I have a doct that I type his documents in Word and print them to letterhead for him and then hand-deliver them myself to his office.  Is this breaking HIPAA rules?  I just need to know what I have to be doing to be HIPAA-compliant and not aware of the facts.  Thanks for any input! ...

Understanding Dictation
Jan 04, 2011

Thanking you ...

Understanding Accents
Sep 17, 2014

I am a studying transcriptionist and wanted to ask a couple MT forums for their opinions/help. I really enjoy healthcare, and after dabbling in coding and admissions I have landed on medical transcription, and I really enjoy it. I am almost half way done with my training program but wanted to see if there are any tips, books, any kind of resource that has helped registered medical transcriptionists have a slightly easier time transcribing from an ESL dictator. I have never really been good at ...

Need Help Understanding A Fiesa Grading, If Possible
Sep 17, 2014

Does anyone understand why they take off an entire point for a lab value that is 1 point off?  Such as a glucose level of 230 and is transcribed 231?  This doesn't effect patient safety or treatment.  I can understand a discrepency that is a significant difference or would change treatment.  This is a minimal error and should be graded accordingly. ...

Instead Of Docking Us For Not Understanding And Leaving Blanks
Oct 27, 2013

for rushing through reports like they are on fire?  Makes sense to me! ...

Initials For Resident/dr/mt
Jul 12, 2010

Help please:) I work at a residency clinic and was wondering how to sign off a letter if you want to put the resident's initials (the one dictating), the precepting doctor and then your initials.  Usually they tell us just to put our initials on a new line, i.e. /mt.  For a doctor you would do: DR/mt, but what about the resident? Do you put both sets of initials? Thanks! ...

Your Initials Used On Reports
May 03, 2013

I recently was switched to a new account.  On the old account my initials appeared after the doctors at the bottom of all reports.  Now they are not my personal initials.  Anyone else using a platform that does this?  ...

Removal Of Initials
Jun 12, 2013

Has anyone ever had QA (as IC or employee) remove your initials and put their own?  I have never encountered this and wonder if I am overreacting, but it makes me uneasy.  Thoughts? ...

Initials On Reports Not MT's (sm)
Apr 05, 2014

I worked for a company for over a year where the MT initials were not mine. Any reason for this? ...

MModal Changes, Does Anybody Have TSM With Initials KO?
Oct 28, 2014

Used to be under her and wonder if the latest clean up affected her?  Can email me. ...

How Do You Type Your Initials On A Report?
May 30, 2012

I have always typed my initials with the doctor then me as ABC/def.  That is the way I was taught when I got my MA degree and have always seen it as that until I started working for this office.  They type it ABC:def or ABC;def.  Nothing is consistent and seems like everyone does whatever they feel like.  Also, when typing a note for a PA and CRNP I always put their initials and then the initials of the doctor and then mine such as ABC/DEF/ghi and I have not seen one report t ...

Initials On Signature Line....
Dec 07, 2012

I thought it was a HIPPA rule to have the transcriptionist's initials as part of the document in the signature block...am I wrong?  I am not comfortable leaving mine off.  ...

Can Those Laid Off Post Their TSM's Initials? Wondering If
Apr 04, 2013

x ...

Initials D By/T By Author Different From Signature Letters
May 24, 2013

If a letter is dictated by one person on behalf of another (the "another" is the one signing the letter), what do I put for the initials at the end of the letter? ...

Anyone With TSM Initials JM, Haven't Heard A Thing About SM
Sep 30, 2014

or much of anyting else unless SHE wants something?   No help at all. ...

Fiesa - QA Has The Initials HBE (home-based Employee?)
Jun 09, 2014

If a QA has the initials HBE (home-based employee?), does anyone know if they are offshore?  If they are US, why don't they have US in front of their number? These people seem to be the nastiest of the bunch and the most nit-picking.  I just failed a post-audit because I missed out the word "the" where it made absolutely no difference to the meaning.  They also seem to make the most errors as I got a few critical errors reversed recently and it was the QAs with the initials HBE who were ...

Have You Ever Been Told This And If So------
Apr 09, 2010

what would you do about it.  My TL repeatedly tells us to get off the system when the work volume is low because we are taking food out of other MTs mouths because they cannot feed their families or pay their bills because they need to get at least 20,000 lines per pay, but they cannot do that if we stay on the system,and we need to have compassion for them and get off the system so the ones who need it the most can pay their bills.   Even if our line count is not met, they need i ...

Has Anyone Else But Me Been Told....
Aug 08, 2010

That you can't work on any computer besides a Medquist computer?  I don't get along my CCM.  We don't like each other.  I wanted to load my programs on my laptop so I could work when I was away from home, and I was told that was not possible.  I said I had done it in the past.  I was told, not anymore.  Support backed him on it.  But here lately I have heard people talking about working at Starbucks!!!!  That even during training they ...

Has Anyone Ever Been Told
Jul 16, 2012

that you are the only one who complains about pay and the lack of improvement of ASR? Somehow I find it hard that I am the only one on my team who voices their opinion. ...

Let Go Without Being Told
Jul 08, 2014

So I tried to get into mail and it didn't work.  I then tried to get into web clock and it didn't work.  I then tried to get into my regular work platform and again no luck.  Last week I was called about being short an hour and some minutes.  I was questioned about line counts also but was never told I was getting written up or terminated so what the hell?  Has this happened to anyone else with Nuance?  The thing is before this super unprofessional action ...

New To ASR/Told Had To Switch To ME By 07/01
Jun 30, 2010

I am sweating this out, as everyone else has, and it is not working for me.  The rules are too vague, the training insufficient, and I am struggling with doing whatever I can to get through the report and trying to correct "correctly" - whatever way that really is, there is no explanation.  I don't know when to use F11.  I gave ASR a 4-month try 4-5 (?) years ago when it first was implemented, and see similar non-recognition issues, similar heading issues, and probably I am ...

I Told My Husband
May 21, 2012

been with MRC/Medifax/MQ/MModal for 15 years now. He said "Will they send you a service pin?"  He's a real joker, my husband. ...

Way Above 98 And Told I Should Continue..
Jun 21, 2012

to strive for the 99%.  It did not matter I had 98.8. and there have been times I was over 99%  They are out of their freakin minds.  I wonder who in this world is perfect at their job. ...

Told To Use My PTO By End Of Year?????
Nov 01, 2012

X ...

I Was Told By My CCM Why No Work For Some
Jan 03, 2013

apparently they are trying to weed out MT's as they did CCM's. The ones who don't produce or excessive absences, etc.  ...

I Have Been Told Nothing About The 15 Minute Pay
Mar 19, 2013

I was not told anything about taking 15 minutes when no work available.  I have read something to the effect of taking 15 minutes pay when no work available.  I'm confused.  Why hasn't my TCM told me about this?  I work on new acct, haven't been with MModal that long, but shouldn't I have been told about this as I ran out of work and was told to just clock out if no work.  ...

My Boss Just Told Me... Sm
Jul 18, 2013

that a "transcribers" job is to type what they hear and only what they hear, and that the doctors will be held accountable for their mistakes.  This made me laugh. ...

Hate To Say I Told Ya So
Aug 14, 2013

When this PTO garbage started I knew something was coming down. I don't like this new NJA procedure. I haven't had time to decipher the whole thing, but something STINKS ...