A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Removal of Initials - BamaMT

Posted: Jun 12, 2013

Has anyone ever had QA (as IC or employee) remove your initials and put their own?  I have never encountered this and wonder if I am overreacting, but it makes me uneasy.  Thoughts?

If they touched my report - I WANT their initials on it

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what the circumstances are, but gosh darn, if they made any changes to MY report, they better have their initials on it!

Right, but... - BamaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
But do you want them to completely remove yours? Then it's like they're taking credit for your work. At least, that was my line of thinking on it.

As long as you get paid for it and as long as you're in the audit trail, - who cares?

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with the other poster, if anyone else touches it, I at least want that acknowledged in the audit trail or by initials or somehow. It would be stupid for them to not have a way to know if you worked on it too (probably in the audit trail) for the same liability reasons.

Maybe only room for or rules only allow for one set of initials, so if they're the last one working on it, their initials might have to be the final set if that's the way it works there.

Is there a reason that is important? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Is "getting credit" important?

Do you get paid on the basis of initials on reports? If so, you have grounds for complaint. In that case, though, you wouldn't be asking the question.

Aside from that, do your initials "give you credit", how, and with whom? Is there an actual value to that?

If you just want your initials on there because you think doctors in another state are going to notice what good work you did, maybe that isn't realistic. It might not even be realistic if you work right in a hospital.

Initials are not there as some kind of legal or professional responsibility designator. Formerly, they were there to help identify the person who would do revisions or who had the draft or electronic originals.

I can tell you why you don't want your initials on there. That is how clients identify MTs they want to ban from their account. So, if someone else is changing the initials, let them, especially if they changed the document.

did you ask your boses about this? and why not? - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
just tell THEM your concerns and find out what's goin' on.

As long as you get paid - Let them change it

[ In Reply To ..]
I would prefer to have my initials completely removed if anyone had their mitts on my report in any way.

As I said above, I also agree with as long as you get paid, - but...

[ In Reply To ..]

for the exact same liability reasons you'd want it known that someone else touched your report, unless they changed it completely, the person who changed it should also want it known that it wasn't fully their work.  

Still, the ultimate liability lies with the signer, the dictator.  But me, I'd still want to know if there is an electronic audit trail anywhere I work (which there always has been).  It's not at all an unreasonable thing to ask about. 

Similar Messages:

Initials For Resident/dr/mt
Jul 12, 2010

Help please:) I work at a residency clinic and was wondering how to sign off a letter if you want to put the resident's initials (the one dictating), the precepting doctor and then your initials.  Usually they tell us just to put our initials on a new line, i.e. /mt.  For a doctor you would do: DR/mt, but what about the resident? Do you put both sets of initials? Thanks! ...

Your Initials Used On Reports
May 03, 2013

I recently was switched to a new account.  On the old account my initials appeared after the doctors at the bottom of all reports.  Now they are not my personal initials.  Anyone else using a platform that does this?  ...

Initials On Reports Not MT's (sm)
Apr 05, 2014

I worked for a company for over a year where the MT initials were not mine. Any reason for this? ...

MModal Changes, Does Anybody Have TSM With Initials KO?
Oct 28, 2014

Used to be under her and wonder if the latest clean up affected her?  Can email me. ...

How Do You Type Your Initials On A Report?
May 30, 2012

I have always typed my initials with the doctor then me as ABC/def.  That is the way I was taught when I got my MA degree and have always seen it as that until I started working for this office.  They type it ABC:def or ABC;def.  Nothing is consistent and seems like everyone does whatever they feel like.  Also, when typing a note for a PA and CRNP I always put their initials and then the initials of the doctor and then mine such as ABC/DEF/ghi and I have not seen one report t ...

Initials On Signature Line....
Dec 07, 2012

I thought it was a HIPPA rule to have the transcriptionist's initials as part of the document in the signature block...am I wrong?  I am not comfortable leaving mine off.  ...

My TCM, Or Whatever Her Initials Are, Told Me Her Understanding
Mar 12, 2014

So 2 1/2 years of working for MM, at who knows what pay, only to end that amount of time with nothing to show for it that might be able to be used to get a job for a better company.  Is it very likely you could get a coding job elsewhere with nothing but MM experience? ...

Can Those Laid Off Post Their TSM's Initials? Wondering If
Apr 04, 2013

x ...

Initials D By/T By Author Different From Signature Letters
May 24, 2013

If a letter is dictated by one person on behalf of another (the "another" is the one signing the letter), what do I put for the initials at the end of the letter? ...

Anyone With TSM Initials JM, Haven't Heard A Thing About SM
Sep 30, 2014

or much of anyting else unless SHE wants something?   No help at all. ...

Fiesa - QA Has The Initials HBE (home-based Employee?)
Jun 09, 2014

If a QA has the initials HBE (home-based employee?), does anyone know if they are offshore?  If they are US, why don't they have US in front of their number? These people seem to be the nastiest of the bunch and the most nit-picking.  I just failed a post-audit because I missed out the word "the" where it made absolutely no difference to the meaning.  They also seem to make the most errors as I got a few critical errors reversed recently and it was the QAs with the initials HBE who were ...

Ear Wax Removal S/l Amationese
Aug 13, 2011

Patient is having ear wax impaction removed.  Dr. uses something that s/l amationese but cannot find anything close.  Please help!  Thanks! ...

S/l Styme And Pin Removal
Mar 02, 2015

"Left shoulder styme and pin removal." ...

Wart Removal Medication
Nov 29, 2009

Hi all, Is anyone familiar with a wart removal medication called, what sounds like "anichlomod or enichlomod."  I cannot find anything! :(   ...

Ganglion Cyst Removal -again
Jun 30, 2010

Risks including (s/l) an unlimited of bleeding, infection, scarring, etc. It seems to say either unlimited or nonlimited.  Neither of which make sense to me. ...

Ganglion Cyst Removal
Jun 30, 2010

After the procedure - The wound was clean and dry. Xeroform and dry sterile dressings were applied. (s/l) Gauze, Kling and ace bandage was then applied as a hand dressing. Why would they use guaze and Kling together? Can this be correct? ...

Left Eye S/l Teragon Removal
Jun 11, 2010

patient has past history of a left eye s/l teragon removal.  ...

Takahasi In Pituiary Removal
Aug 09, 2010

Takahashi it sounds like part of ENT in surgery ...

Removal Of Subclavian Port
Aug 19, 2010

Hey All! I'm typing a report for a removal of a left subclavian subcutaneous tunneled venous access device and reservoir. The doctor reports the following as the findings: Intact left subclavian (___) and port.  It s/l he is says "singulum."  Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Thank you so much. ...

Nasal Polyp Removal
Dec 08, 2011

First time I've heard this one!  Of course don't get this doc often so here we go.  He's removing a nasal polyp and he says: Using the 3:16 s/l microgurbator at the polypoid tissue was 3:18 s/l microgerbated down to the level of the middle meatus.  The 3:16 & 3:18 are for my contractor to listen to if I can't find "microgerbator" Thanks in advance.  Tammie ...

Clamp Used In Skin Tag Removal. Sm
May 12, 2012

I can hear the "k" at the beginning  (I think I can hear the "y" at the end) and s/l straight Kelly clamp The skin tag is on the neck.  They apparently use this clamp in plastic surgery procedures but not sure if there's another type that would be more fitting for a simple skin tag removal.  Thanks! ...

Debris From Wart Removal
Jun 03, 2014

The elucme ?  is evacuated with a wall unit.  Referring to removal of wart. ...

Renal Cyst Removal...s/l Cysticordication
Nov 03, 2009

NM ...

2 Terms In A Craniotomy With Removal Of Hematoma??
Aug 29, 2011

New ones on me: _______with intraoperative Doppler S/L incination or encination - guess it could be uncination but does not s/l that at all   Recurrent arteries of ______were identified bilaterally and then working through the frontal gyrus.... S/L huminer   Just curious - anyone know? ...

Pt Is S/p ORIF Right Distal Radius With Removal Of Hardware
Nov 12, 2014

and left carpal tunnel release. She is asking for Cad-i-mean cream. Thanks ...

S/L Sebo Flurine Anesthesia. Dr. Dictating Silicone Oil Removal. TIA
Nov 03, 2009

n, ...

Two Drain Tubes Put Into Thoracic Cavity After Removal Of Teratoma
Mar 01, 2011

I have a foreign doctor who descibes two chest tubes put in, one with the tip showing under the left, the right thoracic cavity (s/l) sustaining its own. Anyone have an idea? ...

Gallbladder Removal...Impression Is "questionalbe Evolving S/l PYRANASE Vs Phlebitis R/O
Apr 14, 2012

Gallbladder was removed, and the impression was "questionable evolving *PYRANASE* versus phelbitis"...anyone know? I have no clue! :( ...

Ever Heard Of Sl "X-STOP" Removal?
Dec 16, 2009

She said it twice and definitely did not say X-flap. ...

Left Foot "hola-ma-molee" Formation, Removal Of "hola-ma-maolee"
May 31, 2013

thanks! ...