A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Initials on signature line.... - Vegaslady

Posted: Dec 07, 2012

I thought it was a HIPPA rule to have the transcriptionist's initials as part of the document in the signature block...am I wrong?  I am not comfortable leaving mine off. 

with HIPAA rule stating they be - included

[ In Reply To ..]
lately I don't feel comfortable even putting mine on any longer, either.

Yes, that is incorrect. - HIPAA has nothing to do with your initials

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine how that notion got started. HIPAA has absolutely nothing to say about MTs or their initials, or even their identity.

There has never been ANY rule or law about an MTs initials. The only reason your company might want them is to know who made the mistakes in the report. They are a hangover from secretarial pools.

If you doubt this, the text of the law is available online. You can read it yourself.

This is the secod time I have seen this question here Is some MTSO spreading this nonsense around?

Never heard that in - A HIPAA class-see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Secretaries typing a letter for their bosses often put (or used to anyway) JOHN SMITH first/last initials. It wasn't proof of an who made an error, it was just so they knew who typed the report if there was a question about something.

Similar Messages:

Initials D By/T By Author Different From Signature Letters
May 24, 2013

If a letter is dictated by one person on behalf of another (the "another" is the one signing the letter), what do I put for the initials at the end of the letter? ...

Signature On Surgery Transcription
Jan 25, 2010

When one surgeon operates and the assisting surgeon dictates the report, who signs the operative note? ...

Chartscript Remove E Signature?
Jun 10, 2010

Does anyone know how to remove electronically affixed signature on Chartscript/Netlinc system?  TIA!     ...

Electronic Signature Wanted...
Dec 08, 2010

I have a client who is requesting electronic signatures.  Is there a software someone can recommend?  Who does this and how do you do it? Any help/advice is appreciated! ...

Is There A Way To A Create A Signature In The E-mail
Sep 25, 2014

I seem to be unable to find a way to create a signature in the e-mail program.  I have tried creating one in shorthand but when it uploads it is missing spaces, etc.  Thansk for any help. ...

Why Is It Such A Big Deal What Your Signature Block Says On Your E Mail
Dec 27, 2013

For the life of me I don't get what the big deal is. You have to put on so much information on your signature block, your accts, time zone you are in, your schedule, your manager, what is the big freaking deal. Do you need our blood type as well? ...

Initials For Resident/dr/mt
Jul 12, 2010

Help please:) I work at a residency clinic and was wondering how to sign off a letter if you want to put the resident's initials (the one dictating), the precepting doctor and then your initials.  Usually they tell us just to put our initials on a new line, i.e. /mt.  For a doctor you would do: DR/mt, but what about the resident? Do you put both sets of initials? Thanks! ...

Your Initials Used On Reports
May 03, 2013

I recently was switched to a new account.  On the old account my initials appeared after the doctors at the bottom of all reports.  Now they are not my personal initials.  Anyone else using a platform that does this?  ...

Removal Of Initials
Jun 12, 2013

Has anyone ever had QA (as IC or employee) remove your initials and put their own?  I have never encountered this and wonder if I am overreacting, but it makes me uneasy.  Thoughts? ...

Initials On Reports Not MT's (sm)
Apr 05, 2014

I worked for a company for over a year where the MT initials were not mine. Any reason for this? ...

MModal Changes, Does Anybody Have TSM With Initials KO?
Oct 28, 2014

Used to be under her and wonder if the latest clean up affected her?  Can email me. ...

How Do You Type Your Initials On A Report?
May 30, 2012

I have always typed my initials with the doctor then me as ABC/def.  That is the way I was taught when I got my MA degree and have always seen it as that until I started working for this office.  They type it ABC:def or ABC;def.  Nothing is consistent and seems like everyone does whatever they feel like.  Also, when typing a note for a PA and CRNP I always put their initials and then the initials of the doctor and then mine such as ABC/DEF/ghi and I have not seen one report t ...

My TCM, Or Whatever Her Initials Are, Told Me Her Understanding
Mar 12, 2014

So 2 1/2 years of working for MM, at who knows what pay, only to end that amount of time with nothing to show for it that might be able to be used to get a job for a better company.  Is it very likely you could get a coding job elsewhere with nothing but MM experience? ...

Can Those Laid Off Post Their TSM's Initials? Wondering If
Apr 04, 2013

x ...

Anyone With TSM Initials JM, Haven't Heard A Thing About SM
Sep 30, 2014

or much of anyting else unless SHE wants something?   No help at all. ...

Fiesa - QA Has The Initials HBE (home-based Employee?)
Jun 09, 2014

If a QA has the initials HBE (home-based employee?), does anyone know if they are offshore?  If they are US, why don't they have US in front of their number? These people seem to be the nastiest of the bunch and the most nit-picking.  I just failed a post-audit because I missed out the word "the" where it made absolutely no difference to the meaning.  They also seem to make the most errors as I got a few critical errors reversed recently and it was the QAs with the initials HBE who were ...

MT Line Became A 65-character Line Instead Of A Gross Line?
Feb 21, 2015

Does anyone remember when, and why, an MT line became a 65-character line instead of a gross line? And what company was responsible for this, if any? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

Okay, If You Were Making .04/line With VR But Offered 08/line With Transcription . . . Unlimited Amt
Apr 22, 2010

I do have some benefits with the VR job, but not good enough to even take them on right now.  After 3 months I will start accruing PTO up to 12 days a year.  Is it worth it?  I was thinking having benefits would be really nice for once in the last 16 years, but now I am thinking it may not be worth the struggle to make a living on VR.  They said the platform for transcription is chartnet or chartscript?  What do you all think? ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

VR Line Count - What Kind Of Line Production Should I Shoot For
Mar 24, 2011

I was just hired on with a company to do strictly VR. I am only going to be working part time so about 4 hours a day. I am wondering from those who do VR what kind of line production should I shoot for in 4 hours of work? What is the normal VR line count for part time? I have read that most who are working full time or 8 hours a day are doing more than 1,000, even 2,000 a day. The company I will be working for wants a minimum of 10,000 lines in a payperiod which the lady said even with part time ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Line Counting Software - 65 Characters Per Line
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is for 65 characters per line with no spaces.  Can't that be done in Microsoft Word as well? ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

MTSOs - Why Anyone Would Do VR For 0.03 Per Line Or Straight Transcription For 0.07 Per Line
Mar 13, 2012

It's beyond me why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line, even 0.08 stinks.  Are we all that desperate to let these companies get away with not paying a living wage?  It's outrageous.  As long as MTs send their resumes to these companies and apply for these positions, the longer it will take to bring us back to the pay level we deserve.   At this point, i'd rather starve then sell my soul to the devil. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

Nuance Line Counts - Required Line Counts?
Jan 01, 2013

Can you tell me what the required line counts are for Nuance please ? ...

10 Cents A Line For Transcription And 5-6 Cents A Line For VRE?
Mar 19, 2015

Are there any companies out there that pay at least 10 cents a line for transcription and 5-6 cents a line for VRE? This career is not what it used to be!  ...

Where Is The Line?
Nov 11, 2009

Well, just failed another test and on the very first part to beat all! It was multiple choice grammar, punctuation, and terminology. I cannot be this dumb or are the standards sooooo high? I researched everything twice before I sent it in and felt really good about it. After receiving notice that I failed, with no grade or what I did wrong, I researched somemore. I found 2 that I answered wrong. There may be more but I can't see how. So out of the whole test I miss two, and they were spell ...