A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT Field at RISK of downfall... - am

Posted: Jan 19, 2012

This is not NEW but still needed to say... I never had an appriciation in MT field since i joined 4 years back...This sucks or i am expecting too much out of them or is it the right time to say adios to this MT.

The way it is panning out, I have serious doubts about this MT field now...

Well - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
In my opinion, it is going down the tubes. The MTSOs and hospitals have turned it into a shambles. Work is being offshored and VR has ruined it. I realize hospitals want their work done cheaper but the MTSOs have done that at the expense of the ones who do the work. They, both the hospitals and the MTSOs are getting what they pay for. The experienced MTs are leaving the field and turning it over to the offshore workers and new graduates, which will eventually have "cause and effect" on both the hospitals and MTSOs. I think everybody should start reading their medical records for accuracy, Lord knows the doctors don't review them. To me, the doctors are also getting worse and worse at their dictation skills. This is also playing a part in our paychecks. When it takes way too long to dictate reports by these sloppy dictators, our pay goes down. Sloppiness has been accepted by hospitals, doctors and MTSOs and this is causing us to leave the field. I know it will bite all of them in the butt some day, but who knows when.

If you expect kudos, time for you to leave. lol - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Cheap off-shore labor has ruined the MT industry - along with inadequate technology

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure all the "but I'm different because I'm good" posters will chime in that they will still be standing, but I will tell you that I'm more than good, more than educated, more than experienced, and I still have yet to accept a suitable MT job after Epic destroyed our team. In the past, I'd have a good job in a matter of hours. Now, I've been searching for months. Of course, I've had offers from everywhere I tested, but I refuse to work for the off-shore scabs and I refuse to work for peanuts on accounts that have been stripped by inferior VR products, leaving the crappiest of the crap left to transcribe for 3 cpl.

If you are young enough, get out, get retrained in something else and don't recommend this field for newcomers. It's moribund.

What do you mean "RISK?" - ItsDyingNow

[ In Reply To ..]
Why in the world would you state that the MT field is at "risk" of downfall?

Anyone reading this board regularly KNOWS that MT is doing the death rattle. I have been posting this for over a year now, as have others.

Only someone WEARING BLINDERS would not have been able to read the writing on the wall.

what are you doing about it? - worried MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious - I can't retire yet and gotta make a plan.

Trying to get OUT! - ItsDyingNow

[ In Reply To ..]
I am DESPERATELY trying to find something else --- ANYTHING that will get my foot in the door at some company that has tuition reimbursement or will train its employees. With the economy stinking so badly right now and so many people laid off/out of work, it has been extremely frustrating thus far.

I feel ya... - Backwoods Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, your sentiment is probably right. Robots will eventually replace us or all the work will be shipped overseas to be done for half price. Its a shame that employers dont realize they sacrifice information security and quality in the meanwhile...that or they just dont care because hey...they are saving money! Ive been in this field for almost 6 years now and work in one of the last hospitals in my area that actually has in-house transcription. Its hard to tell how much longer that will last though. Im starting to look at what other options I have now and its not looking good. It sucks that this is happening, but we cant let this get us down. Learn about some other trade and keep on.

one small step... - MT Gone

[ In Reply To ..]
This is what i did. Since pay had been staying the same (at Spheris) I kept my fingers in lots of stuff. Yes, I worked a lot of hours with 3-4 different jobs going at once. When Q bought us, and writing the writing on the wall became evident very quickly, I was fortunate enough to get more hours with one of my part-time employers.... as luck would have it, the week before my account of 10 years was switched to EPIC (point and click) I was offered full time at better wage than I had EVER mad with MT work, with that employer. My advice, get your foot out the door..... and pull the remaining one through as quickly as possible!!!

Similar Messages:

Stroke Risk
Jul 21, 2011

Dictated - "I quoted her a risk of one in 2 to 300."  Should that be 1:200-300? ...

Framingham Risk Score And ....
Aug 08, 2011

Framingham Risk Assessment is 5%.  Leak? criteria for risk regarding non-cardiac surgery is low at 0.9%.  Leak????  Hmmm....can't hear him.  HELP!! ...

Dementia Risk Assessment
Jan 27, 2012

Dementia supervision risk assessment, and it sounds like he is saying Lobman or Logman for one-on-one supervision.   Thanks for any help! ...

Breast Cancer Risk Assessment
Oct 13, 2010

I'm looking for what s/l "begalrithm" Risk Assessment for breast cancer. Thanks for any help!   ...

Medical Coding - Risk For Offshoring
Feb 21, 2011

I am speaking with a counselor at a community college about a medical insurance coding certificate. I am more interested in outpatient coding in an outpatient setting and earning the CPC credential for professional coders. I really do not want to work in a hospital again. From a current medical coder's perspective, is outpatient coding and CPC a good option as compared to inpatient coding? What about the job market? Is the job marketing pretty stable for outpatient coders, who are not worki ...

Does Anyone Know What Is Involved In A VA 'low Risk" Background Check? Sm
Jan 27, 2011

Apparently anyone doing VA work has to have one.  Is it strict?  I am not proud of it, but I had a DUI about 20 years ago -- would that be something that would keep me from transcribing for the hospital?   Thanks. ...

To Monitor Blood Flow In Bone Due To AVN Risk...
Feb 19, 2011

S/l "Bolt" monitor. We then examined the blood flow again. There was still bleeding. We documented this with photographs as well as put in the _____ monitor, which showed a slight waveform that corresponded with the patient's heartbeat. Anybody heard of it? ...

Sleeve S/L In-gart-ment For High Risk Activities.
Nov 03, 2009

She is at high risk for lymphedema and I recommended physical therapy referral for lymphedema management.  She will require sleeve S/L in-gart-ment for high risk activities.  She is blind and uses a seeing eye dog with her left hand. ...

Cardiology Risk Score Framingham Versus Farmington
May 16, 2012

Cardiology workup in which majorly ESL doc says, "I assessed her [then he spells it--yes, go ahead and laugh] R-F-R-M-I-N-G-T-O-N" score." So, I'm thinking it's "Farmington" or something like that but discovered a "Framingham" score for cardiology. Yet, the doc did clearly spell the T-O-N part of the word, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of a Farmington score for cardiology. Or anything. Anything. ...

*tyro Kusik* Risk Model For Breast Cancer
Jul 01, 2013

ss ...

Chemotherapy Drug - High Risk Of Breast Cancer Recurrence
Nov 19, 2011

patient it at high risk of breast cancer recurrence and they recomend utilizing combination chem utilizing s/l dose-stensator, Adriamycin, Cytoxan.  Does anyone know what this might be? ...

*uncotidyex* Testing Shows High Risk Of Recurrent Breast Cancer. Nm
May 19, 2010

. ...

MT Field
Oct 27, 2009

Don't you wonder why when you were in school you were told about how many jobs there were out there, how your income was endless and depended on how much work you wanted to do? I do have a job, not one that I can live off of, I earn about $200 every other week, but still, at least I have a job. I look at the job board and see how many people have viewed each job and wonder...at least it is just not me, where is the work? I wish that when I was researching school and such that they woul ...

New To Field Need HELP
Dec 26, 2009

I am in need of any help I can get.....I  was trained as a medical transcriptionist in the late 80's and transcribed for approx 2 years.  I  am now trying to get back into the field and needless to say my training from back then is not what employers today want.   SO my situation involves some major confusion.  Here goes,  1.  Schools-----OH MY GOD all of them claim to be the best, all claim that they have what you need, etc.....I am looking for some ...

This MT Field Is A Zoo.
Jan 24, 2012

Been out there a long time.  People are either cut-throat, manipulative and shmooze, or your best friend to your face, yet clickish and cruel.   (and I SO missed high school) Since when is all of that necessary?  Want something?  ASK ME DIRECT and if I cannot help you - STOP THERE.   Something I said in confidence rub you wrong?  TALK TO ME ABOUT IT.  ESPECIALLY WHEN I SENSE IT AND FLAT OUT ASK.  I'm so tired of the games p ...

F11 Key, Next Field
Feb 18, 2012

Years I ago I was able to assign {} to the F11 key and when I hit the F11 key in would jump to the next field in my document which was indicated by a {}.  I had all my docs set up this way and never had a problem until about six months ago.  Does anyone know how to do this.  It was a huge time saver especially in docs that are repetitive.  thanks for any help. ...

Has Anyone Else Gotten Out Of The Field Because
Jul 29, 2013

Field
Jun 23, 2014

i am considering a career as a medical transcriptionist and would like to contact someone in the fiield. Is this a good field.  Are jobs available.   What can I epect to earn? ...

High Risk Features Include "man Ish Ee All" Positive Margins.
May 20, 2014

Squamous cell carcinoma of the supraglottic larynx.  We recommend radiation therapy due to several high-risk features, including perineural invasion, "Man ish ee all" positive margins, and lymph node involvement with extracapsular extension. ...

Is MT A Dying Field??
Oct 26, 2009

is MT a dying field?? i hear voice recogintion will make mts obsolete plus companies are outsourcing work to India. ...

To Those Leaving The MT Field
Mar 01, 2010

How long do you think MT'ing will be around?   I'm going back to school to become a social worker, something i've always wanted to do, and need the income while i'm in school.  In fact, today was my first day.  Its an online course and it will take some adjusting, but I feel its time.  I'm following a dream, MT'ing was supposed to be temporary but it is such a cushy job, who would want to leave it?   I think the problem is, there ...

Learning A New Field
Mar 03, 2010

What would be the best way to get into another field? I have been doing neurology now for about 6 years and I am very interested in getting into something else, and really this is the only field I know because I havent had practice with anything else.  Im just getting kind of bored with the neurology lingo.  If I were to apply for a job that is hiring in a different field, would they consider me a "newby"? Has anyone ever been hired for a field they have no ex ...

How Many Of You Really Left The Field
Mar 03, 2010

I'm just curious is all.  I've been reading for months a lot of posts of people who are unhappy, their going to leave, telll their bosses off, they deserve more, etc, etc.  It's literally been going on months.  I have a job I like, it pays lower than all the people here say they get paid, but I like it.  There are times we run out of work, but I make due (and I'm a one income family, so is distressing sometimes), but  I like my doctors and my supervis ...

What Attracted You To The MT Field?
Mar 07, 2010

I didn't know what I wanted to do.  I was very independent and a home body.  I'm also very disciplined and prefer to work alone.  When I made more than my friends with degrees, I stayed...I feel like a criminal for how much I got paid for how little I do.  Easy money, ability to stay home, no managers lurking over shoulder.  We are the last man on the totem pole here in the medical "profession" and we are getting cut out.  It was too good to last forever. ...

You Know The MT Field Is Bad When Even The Fly-by-night...
Mar 26, 2010

You know the MT field is bad when even the fly-by-night "work-at-home" make $20 an hour companies don't even advertise for MT anymore.  My husband has been job hunting and we've been checking the online job search engines daily.  I haven't seen one single ad like we used to see on the matchbook covers.  Now they have a different scheme.  It's all work at home in call centers and make $20 an hour.      ...

Question Regarding Our Field (sm)
Jun 16, 2010

Does anybody know the particulars of the legislation that was passed back in the 1950s (I think) that really started our field by making it a law that documentation of health care had to be typewritten? ...

I Just Have To Say This About This Field Of Work
Oct 15, 2010

I am going to be anonny as I do not want people to know who I am and call me lazy or whatever they decide to call me.  I lost a job not long ago, found another one for peanuts, but am going to turn them down as I can get more unemployment.  Plus with unemployment, I know how much I can count on each week.  It is steady.  I know it will not last forever, but....  I am just tired of the stress and worry of is there going to be any work.  At least now I know how much I ...

What Happened To Our Field?
Mar 23, 2011

Why can't it just go back to the way it was? Those of us who have been transcribing for 20+ years are kind of hurting now, or anyway I am. I used to have a service, had no middle men, no corporate people to support. This was back in the 80's, and the only limitations I had were demographics. If I took work too far away, I had to have more and more delivery people, but at that time, there were only a hand full of transcriptionists.  Those were the days of "a line is a line", "pica ...

My Observation About This Field...
Apr 26, 2011

I have been a working MT (IC status) for 5 years now.  I am finally making pretty good money, but I have always worked around kids and had to take the first few years slowly.  I file jointly with my husband and even had him get more deductions taken out of his checks.  This year, after deductions, I was able to get an 1800.00 refund.  I consider this good considering I didn't pay anything all year (quarterly).  Here is my observation...it seems the the MT field is a ...

Another Dying Field...
Mar 28, 2012

I hope you'll watch this video about photojournalists.  It's very interesting all on its own, but particularly how the major news agencies are refusing to pay for professional quality and using free amateur photos instead. In particular, I would like you to observe what the expert Ed Greenberg says about how photojournalists are viewed by the news agencies - as "passive and childlike".  People who are too timid to protest the way they are being treated.  People ...