A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anyone know what is involved in a VA 'low risk" background check? sm - maybe VAMT

Posted: Jan 27, 2011

Apparently anyone doing VA work has to have one.  Is it strict?  I am not proud of it, but I had a DUI about 20 years ago -- would that be something that would keep me from transcribing for the hospital?

Thanks.

maybe this will help? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"a. Low Risk and Nonsensitive Positions require a National Agency Check with Written Inquiries (NACI). A NACI is conducted by OPM and covers a 5-year period. It consists of a review of records contained in the OPM Security Investigations Index (SII) and the DOD Defense Central Investigations Index (DCII), FBI name check, FBI fingerprint check, and written inquiries to previous employers and references listed on the application for employment. A National Agency Check with Law Enforcement and Credit Check (NACLC) investigation, used for non-citizen contract personnel in Low Risk/Nonsensitive positions, covers a period of 5 years and consists of a review of National Agency Check (NAC) records [OPM Security Investigations Index (SII), DOD Defense Central Investigations Index (DCII), FBI name check, FBI fingerprint check], a credit report covering a period of 5 years, and written inquiries to previous employers and references listed on the application for employment. In VA it is used for Nonsensitive or Low Risk positions, some contract employees and the periodic reinvestigations for VA police officers."

It actually sounds pretty basic. As long as you aren't a convicted felon or a terrorist, you should do fine. :-)

Hope your local police station does fingerprints! - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to do the same background check (we probably work for the same place) and I have learned that neither the local police nor the Vet Center will do fingerprints. Have to go to another county to get them done for $50, which is irritating me beyond belief right now. Good luck!

The Sheriff Dept can also do fingerprints. The f'print forms - inkyfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
are usually sent to you from the prospective employer; at least, that was my experience.

Thanks to both of you -- didn't realize what a big deal it was ... wow! - maybe VAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess we'll see what happens. I live in a pretty small town, but I would assume the police department could fingerprint me. For all of this, it had better be a terrific job.

I do believe local PD or at least County Justice Center would do it, BUT they must - have the correct card

[ In Reply To ..]
in which to do the prints on. That seemed to be the problem I had. The correct card and information should be given to you by your employer. Take it with you to the facility so they can verify the correct card. Hope this helps! Good luck to you in your new endeavor!

Similar Messages:

Background Check
Dec 21, 2010

Has anyone out there not pass the background test through medquist ...

Encompass - Background Check?
Oct 12, 2009

How are they to work for and do they do a background check? Thanks. ...

Background Check For Coders
Apr 12, 2012

I was wondering about what on a background check would prohibit one from getting a job as a coder at a hospital.  I know the obvious, but what about a misdemeanor DUI from the late 1980s on an otherwise clean-as-a-whistle record with someone who has great credit to boot?  Would that be a deal breaker?  The applicant would have the preferred credentials in place and would otherwise be a good candidate.     ...

VA Hospital Background Check Is Horrible!
Oct 12, 2009

You must be fingerprinted and tell them what you've been doing since the day you were born. Whoever said it is just a cursory background check was lying to us. ...

Has Anyone NOT Passed The Background Check For Diskriter? Sm
May 05, 2011

I assume they would let you know.   I was hired, but never heard back from them after that.  I know that my credit score is pretty bad right now ... hope that did not cost me a job.    Still, I would think they would let me know. ...

Didn't Know MQ Requires Credit/background Check
Nov 18, 2009

nm ...

NJA Has Become Rather Involved An A Lot Of Work.
Aug 31, 2014

File Remedy ticket. Wait for incident number (usually fast, though) Enter incident number on time card Create PTO work availability "request" Wait for "PTO" to be approved. Now you can finally approve your time card. Send NJA notice to schedule compliance so I won't get one of those nasty "you did not comply with your scheduled hours" emails. Find a way to "make up" hours. Oh, and don't forget to get the NJA paid time correct on the time card -- 0.1 hours (6 minutes). ...

What All Is Involved With Being An Independent Contractor
May 21, 2010

I would like to know what all is involved with being an independent contractor.  I have been toying with the idea a lot lately but have no clue what needs to be done or what is required of me.  If anyone could give me some insight into this, I would so truly appreciate it.  Thanks... PS:  I have been an MT for over 20 years so not new to the scene but always figured employee status was better.  ...

What All Is Involved In A Phone Interview/screen?
Jul 20, 2011

For MQ? ...

Nuance And IMedX Are Involved In Talks To Merge.
Mar 11, 2014

I heard from a good source that Nuance and iMedX are currently involved in the details of a merge. Hang onto your hats MTs. I had a sense that something was very fishy with iMedX and their relationship with "former" Nuance suits. ...

Stroke Risk
Jul 21, 2011

Dictated - "I quoted her a risk of one in 2 to 300."  Should that be 1:200-300? ...

Framingham Risk Score And ....
Aug 08, 2011

Framingham Risk Assessment is 5%.  Leak? criteria for risk regarding non-cardiac surgery is low at 0.9%.  Leak????  Hmmm....can't hear him.  HELP!! ...

MT Field At RISK Of Downfall...
Jan 19, 2012

This is not NEW but still needed to say... I never had an appriciation in MT field since i joined 4 years back...This sucks or i am expecting too much out of them or is it the right time to say adios to this MT. The way it is panning out, I have serious doubts about this MT field now...   ...

Dementia Risk Assessment
Jan 27, 2012

Dementia supervision risk assessment, and it sounds like he is saying Lobman or Logman for one-on-one supervision.   Thanks for any help! ...

Breast Cancer Risk Assessment
Oct 13, 2010

I'm looking for what s/l "begalrithm" Risk Assessment for breast cancer. Thanks for any help!   ...

Medical Coding - Risk For Offshoring
Feb 21, 2011

I am speaking with a counselor at a community college about a medical insurance coding certificate. I am more interested in outpatient coding in an outpatient setting and earning the CPC credential for professional coders. I really do not want to work in a hospital again. From a current medical coder's perspective, is outpatient coding and CPC a good option as compared to inpatient coding? What about the job market? Is the job marketing pretty stable for outpatient coders, who are not worki ...

To Monitor Blood Flow In Bone Due To AVN Risk...
Feb 19, 2011

S/l "Bolt" monitor. We then examined the blood flow again. There was still bleeding. We documented this with photographs as well as put in the _____ monitor, which showed a slight waveform that corresponded with the patient's heartbeat. Anybody heard of it? ...

Any MLSs Involved In The So-called "In-Touch Program"?
Oct 14, 2014

Out of reportedly 2000 contacts, there has to be at least one of them here, right? ...

Sleeve S/L In-gart-ment For High Risk Activities.
Nov 03, 2009

She is at high risk for lymphedema and I recommended physical therapy referral for lymphedema management.  She will require sleeve S/L in-gart-ment for high risk activities.  She is blind and uses a seeing eye dog with her left hand. ...

Cardiology Risk Score Framingham Versus Farmington
May 16, 2012

Cardiology workup in which majorly ESL doc says, "I assessed her [then he spells it--yes, go ahead and laugh] R-F-R-M-I-N-G-T-O-N" score." So, I'm thinking it's "Farmington" or something like that but discovered a "Framingham" score for cardiology. Yet, the doc did clearly spell the T-O-N part of the word, so I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of a Farmington score for cardiology. Or anything. Anything. ...

*tyro Kusik* Risk Model For Breast Cancer
Jul 01, 2013

ss ...

Chemotherapy Drug - High Risk Of Breast Cancer Recurrence
Nov 19, 2011

patient it at high risk of breast cancer recurrence and they recomend utilizing combination chem utilizing s/l dose-stensator, Adriamycin, Cytoxan.  Does anyone know what this might be? ...

*uncotidyex* Testing Shows High Risk Of Recurrent Breast Cancer. Nm
May 19, 2010

. ...

VA Background?
Jun 06, 2011

What's "VA background?"  - voice something?  (It's in a job seeker's ad.)  Thanks. ...

Will It Be A Big Disadvantage Not To Have ICD-9 Background
Apr 14, 2011

Also, which training/certification takes longer, the CCS or the CPC?  Thanks1 ...

Background Checks
Feb 25, 2014

Does anyone know if companies typically call your former employers for background checks?  I have jumped around a lot in the last several years for various reasons, and still looking for the right fit, but have applied to 10 different companies in 2 weeks and have only heard from 2. I'm wondering if my resume and recent work history is the problem. I'm an MT of 8 years, so lack fo experience is not the problem. Maybe it's the time of year? If I don't find something soon, ...

Background Interference
Jun 19, 2015

Hard to hear dictation today.  Motorcycle rally in town this weekend and they are driving up and down my street, which is a main street in the community.  Can't understand people saying that they can't hear a Harley.  I find them loud.  I was told  they put loud mufflers on them as a safety tool.  Have not been on 1 in probably 20 or more years. ...

Need To Change Background Color
Oct 20, 2009

I work in Escription, word and need to change the background color from blue to something else. TIA ...

Billing And Coding With MT Background
Jun 15, 2010

I have a background in medical transcription however I am unable to sit in the same position (foot pedal - headset - typing) for any length of time.  I broke my neck many years ago and didn't know when I was in school that this was going to prevent me from doing this career on even a part time basis and after graduating with high honors and having great employee/employer relationships. I am wondering if it is feasible to do billing and coding with medical transcription in a home offic ...

DocQScribe - Background Color
May 04, 2011

Is it possible to change the background color to something other than white in DocQScribe? ...