A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does anyone like working for M-Modal? - wondering

Posted: Jul 07, 2013

From what I'm reading on M-Modal's board, it sounds simply dreadful working for them.  Still, they stay in business are in direct competition with Nuance (which has an equally dreadful board).  How can they stay at the top of the MTSO industry if they're so horrible to work for?  I'm not meaning to doubt you guys who write about how miserable it is.  I'm just wondering if the people who LIKE it there just don't post on MT Stars, or if there really are no happy campers there. 

Working for M*Modal - Like it?

[ In Reply To ..]
In a word, for the majority of MTs, a resounding NO! They stay in business, because most of their work and I mean most of their work goes to India and the MTs get the leavings. Some stay for the insurance, some stay, because they can't stand to make a change or they are just nuts to keep on there, the way they treat you. Maybe and I use the term loosely, some are happy or as happy as you an be working for them You cannot make any money, no matter what they try and tell you. They can offer you a dollar line and you still wouldn't make anything; it is all voice for 4 cpl. Try that on for size if you want to. I went to another company and work as an IC and it was difficult as I really wanted an employee position, but it just wasn't worth it to me. I hated that company and the dictation that was sent my way. I couldn't even do it and I have years of experience; those ESLs just kill you and I hate editing! Way too much brain damage! If you want to give it a try, please have something else in the wings, as a back-up just in case and then even you do like it, wait. It took two months for me before everything fell apart1

I could have written this post myself. - I lasted six months. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
I have over 20 yrs of experience and have never in all my years of transcribing experienced this kind of mayhem, fend for yourself, no training, no communication, no work, no nothing kind of company. The managers are clueless. The QA are on power trips. The communication is horrid. Oh, did I mention there is just no work and they don't care whether you make money or not. They have a "so what?" attitude and it stinks.

Glad to be gone. I don't even put them on my resume as they are a disgrace and I'd rather not be associated with this company at all ever again.

I love it here! - Former JLG MT

[ In Reply To ..]
More work than I can do, Direct Deposit, Steadman's spellchecker provided, QA feedback and coaching and overtime offered . I cannot complain, it is much better than the company I can't speak for everyone but I love working here.

varied opinions - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, you guys, for your honest opinions. I have a full time job at a non-MT business, but I can't make it on the full time job alone. I work part time for a wonderful company that I adore, but the work is slipping away fast. I want to have something else lined up if/when the shoe drops. Does M-Modal allow you to work part time about 15-20 hours a week?

Part time is 24 hours or more, not less - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Working PT for Medquist - Liz
[ In Reply To ..]
Just to give you another perspective, if you work PT you are at risk of losing your job with this company. I worked PT for 7 years and met and exceeded the required line count which is 150 LPH for FT or PT (or soon will be) and meet the quality requirements as well. You do have to work 24 hours per week. I was laid off twice in that 7-year period due to my accounts having lack of work. The first time they simply released me from work and then called me back 3 months later. This time, in April, my supervisor laid off a number of PT MTs. I have found a new part time job as a nanny for a couple who happen to be a surgeon and a PA. I am going to make $5.00 more an hour than I ever did working at home as a MT. I loved my job and was good at it but I simply cannot work my back side off for a company who does not appreciate me and this couple will appreciate everything I do for their baby. Now that I am a grandma myself, I feel this is a perfect fit for me. Those still working for M*Modal and who have work and great CSMs and feel respected and appreciated, I think that is great. I really miss the work but some times you just have to close one door and open another and there are plenty of other rewarding jobs out there that make you feel great about yourself.

It's like we don't work for the same company... - but we do.

[ In Reply To ..]
It really is different for everyone. Some people (myself included) run out of work at the drop of a hat, while others seem to have plenty. Some people are making minimum wage, while others are making at least twice that. There are so many variables. When you apply to MM, you will have no control over where they put you, so it's a crap shoot. Maybe you'll do well, maybe you won't.

All different - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right about it being a different company for everyone depending on where you work. I get my hours in but OT has been scarce...last weekend (before the 4th)was the first time in a very long time for us but not counting on seeing that again any time soon. How are some people constantly out of work and others being offered OT? Shouldn't some work or some people be shifted around?
different platforms make that impossible - like I said
[ In Reply To ..]
I work on FutureNet and with all the different client profiles you can't just shift someone from another BOB into our work. Now, I do believe they should consider asking someone who is running out of work to come over to our BOB if they value them as an employee.

If you are a newbie, yes. - Been an MT for 20 some years? NO

[ In Reply To ..]
Most MTs who have worked for decades are leaving for a new career or staying for retirement. The newbies who have to use coaching, and feedback or have no clue what it was like with the pay and how MTs were treated years and years ago, stay and say they like. I personally feel sorry for them, because they will soon learn why the heck didn't they get out of this field when they had a chance. I used to say that and wish I left this field 10 years ago, but stayed thinking it would get better. I am currently back in college and will be done with a BA this fall.

I agree - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Right. I've been an MT for nearly 35 years, dating back to when we use typewriters! Wow. Worked full time as an MT until about 8 years ago; then part time while I embarked on a full time career in customer service. I can't imagine why anyone would want to break into this field now. Those companies that advertise to teach you how to be an MT and make lots of money should be ashamed of themselves. They're robbing poor unsuspecting souls of their hard-earned money and teaching them a skill they'll never use!

I also agree - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I too have been in this field for over 35 years and started with typewriters too. I agree with everything you said as well as another poster who said newbies would like MModal, but not seasoned veterans like us. It is sad that the company doesn't value the expertise we have and compensate accordingly.

Yeah, I like working for them. They are better than Nuance. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have an incredible TSM, who answers all e-mail and approves PTO quickly.

I am on an account that rarely runs out of work. I am an MME and MT and I find the work on my account to be fairly easy to get high line count.

I have been an MT for 15 years, so not a newbie.

The business has changed a lot over the years. If you want a comparison to the MT biz 10 years ago, then, NO, MModal is not great.

In today's world, however, it is pretty good for me. I work at Nuance as well and MModal is 1000 times better to work for. Nuance has nightmarish QA, I run out of work a lot and have to log off and into each account separately which is time consuming. My TL is a horrible person. PTO rarely approved.

Second that, definitely better than Nuance! - Not unhappy by any means

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mind MM at all. I started working PT for both Nuance and MM this year and had to quit Nuance with no notice, because it was such a total nightmare that I would get bad anxiety attacks. In comparison MM is a dream. I find the Fluency software much, much more pleasant, and much easier to be productive on it (e.g., the ability to see sample previous documents within the application with a couple keystrokes is really helpful when dealing w/difficult dictators).

The QA feedback process is miles better than Nuance (easy to get your feedback, actually listen to the audio, and, more importantly, no FIESA nightmares!!).

That said, I do have a good TSM and my BOB doesn't usually run out of work on my shift (2nd). Pay not great, true, but I guess that is just the industry now.

I think you can kind of - like

[ In Reply To ..]
or at least tolerate them if you have very low expectations. When I was acquired, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. So many of their promises have turned out to be empty lies and I have paid the price, nearly gone broke.

I also think for myself I have just been doing this job too long with too little to show for it and that's not MM's fault. The glory days of MT have been over for some time now. It's really time for me to move on, one way or another.

I don't need to like it to work here. I don't - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
need to feel fulfilled or appreciated to work here. I get enough work to suit my needs and always get paid on time. The whole industry is changing, but lots of jobs that were around years ago also do not exist. If you are young, get out. If you want to like you job, get out. If you need to be fulfilled and appreciated for what you do, get out. Go work in a steel mill or coal mine and have yourself a ball.

Kinda bossy there, - arent you,

[ In Reply To ..]
Crabby Patty?

beats whining all the time - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
oh boo hoo, I'm not fulfilled.
oh boo hoo, I'm not appreciated.
ob boo hoo, I can't live on my salary.

AND IT'S ALL MMODALS FAULT not

oh boo hoo, find another job.
wow, you know - OKCMT
[ In Reply To ..]
everything, huh? I guess you know about everyones circumstances about why they work at MM and why they are happy or unhappy. Geez, you must be clairvoyant!!! You know what I'm thinking about YOU right now?? GEEZ!!!
Hey OKCMT.... so, you are defending... - kshel
[ In Reply To ..]
the whining all the time? It may sound cold to you because apparently, from what you have posted, you need everyone to know you are miserable and why you are. Just a tad self-centered. I am sorry if you are unhappy. Then, get on here and vent. But, do not get on here over and over and over to try and get people to pity you. How sad.
Agree with L&L - dont let the door hit you
[ In Reply To ..]
There are 3 applicants for every job opening right now. So good luck!
I love what you posted. It is soooooo - none
[ In Reply To ..]
true. If you look for others to make you happy, you will always be unhappy. If you work here and love it, I say good job. If you hate it here and keep up the pitty potty attitude I say spare us!

Similar Messages:

Working For M*Modal?
Dec 12, 2012

I have passed 1/2 the testing & saw some negative things about M*Modal. Since I tested, they have called me, emailed me several times to finish my testing. I'm hesitant to do so because I see so many negative things about this company. Any advice? I mean, are you guys out of work a lot? Thank you in advance! ...

M*Modal Enter Key Not Working
Feb 23, 2012

Suddenly today when editing in M*Modal I can hit enter to get text to go to the next line, but it does not skip a line like it should for a new paragraph, and if I hit enter again at the beginning of that line it will not put in another line. It's not my enter key because it works fine in word and here.....:-) So it's within the program and I have searched and searched to try to find out what I did. I must have disabled that somehow but I have no idea and I need it back! I can ...

Might Be Working For M*Modal Soon--Questions
Feb 24, 2012

Hi All! I have a phone interview with M*Modal next week (to work as an MT, not an editor) and have a list of questions for them, but thought I might direct some of those questions to you all before then. Knowledge is power, I think, and I’d like to know as much as possible before I decide to sign with them, if asked. I have worked as an MT since 1984, and worked from home as a subcontractor since 1998. Never worked from home as an employee. How do they define “full-time” work ...

Might Be Working For M*Modal Soon--Update
Feb 28, 2012

Hi All! Just wanted to thank you all for the replies to my post last week. They were all very helpful in making my decision. I feel I am very fortunate to have been offered a position with a different company. I wish you all the very best! ...

Any Canadian MTs Out There Working For M*Modal?
May 18, 2012

I am just looking for anyone from Canada who is working for this company.  That is one of the things I don't like about M*Modal.  You are an island working for the mainland.  But there is no contact with any of the other islands.  Also you can't actually see the mainland.  You can only send mail to them. Sigh...I just want someone to talk to that works for this company so that we can give each other support etc.  I am not sure why the company doesn't ...

M Modal Working Conditions
Sep 04, 2014

Our hospital is looking to outsource all work to MModal with them absorbing our employees.  Any comments on how MModal is to work for?  Hourly pay vs. incentive with MModal, etc.  Thanks. ...

Thoughts On Working For M Modal Part-time?
Feb 09, 2013

It is depressing reading about the poor treatment by some companies. I am looking for some part-time transcribing or VR editing after losing OT and no raise but health care, grocery, gas costs still rising. How are they to work for? Do you run out of work? Is the pay so low you feel like you are sewing soccer balls in India? I worked for a local service years ago, the pay was great, the owner great and tons of work. From what I am reading 8 cpl for transcribing and 4 cpl for VR editing is n ...

Did You Previously Have Humana Health Insurance, Before Working For M*Modal?
Jul 26, 2012

Sorry to be repetitive.  I posted this on the Main Board but haven't gotten any responses there, so I'm re-posting it here where more M*Modal folks might notice it(?).   I got a letter a couple days ago from Humana about a rebate for a portion of the health insurance premiums which I had at my last job--the rebate apparently required  by the Affordable Care Act.  The letter has a lot of additional mumbo-jumbo, not all of which I understand.   It says to "cont ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...

M*Modal VR
Sep 25, 2010

I have another question.  When one does a draft in VR, does MT get paid for all lines in the draft or would an MT get paid if it has to be edited.  I will be trying to learn this in the next few weeks and I am scared to death I will not catch on and then I might be without a job.   I have a feeling I might not get paid for the whole draft report.  Then again it may depend on the company.  Any opinions please.   Thanks  ...

The M*Modal Man...
Jan 24, 2012

...looks like he's dropping a deuce.  Sorry, but he does.   Also, how do you pronounce the name of the company?  I say it to rhyme with immobile - immodal.   ...

Does Anyone Know Anything About M*Modal?
Feb 08, 2012

Does anyone know anything about M*Modal? I have never heard of them and would like some input. Thanks. ...

What/who Is M*Modal?
Mar 03, 2012

Is this Medquist?  Tell me more.  I used to work for MQ years ago and was interested in going back part time. ...

M*modal MTs
Mar 25, 2012

I'm considering applying to M*modal.  I've been around the block (several times) so I'm aware of the reputation, etc.  This means anyone who just wants to slam the company, please bypass this thread.  For those of you who work for M*modal and are happy, what is it you like about the company?  Would you recommend a friend apply? TIA. GG ...

M*Modal Job
Apr 13, 2012

Been offered a job at M*Modal.  Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of working there?  Is there enough work.  Where I work now it is SO hit and miss, feast or famine.  I need something more consistent. Are they flexible?   Let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Dee Dee ...

Going With M*Modal
Apr 30, 2012

Our hospital is supposed to make the decision tomorrow if they are going to keep our work in-house or outsource to M*Modal.  I want to make an informed decision when and if we are told we are going with M*Modal.  Do you get holidays?  How is the pay?  Flexible schedule?  What about our vacations that are already scheduled?  If they hire us will we still be on our same accounts? Thanks for any info. ...

M*Modal Buy Out
May 24, 2012

When M*Modal does a buy out, are the clients from that company they bought out notified? ...

New Job With M Modal
Jun 15, 2012

Hello Everyone, The hospital I have been working for has switched all of our transcriptionist to M Modal.  I will be doing radiology work.  Any helpful hints out there.   ...

TTM*Modal
Jul 11, 2012

Interesting, indeed. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/m-modal-selected-transtech-medical-133000153.html ...

M Modal Pay
Jul 15, 2012

Anyone working for M Modal - Please let me know how much money per hour is possible to be made?  Replies will much appreciated.   ...

How Much Do M-Modal Pay
Sep 30, 2012

I was thinking of applying for a job at M-Modal as I am not so happy with my current job and how they pay. Can anyone help me and tell me how much M-Modal pay their staff? ...

M*Modal-SSN??
Oct 16, 2012

I am on the M*Modal website to apply, and they are asking for my social security number.  I have never provided this on a job application.  Is this legit? ...

Can Someone Please Tell Me About M*Modal, Please?
Nov 30, 2012

I am thinking about testing for acute care transcription with M*Modal. But, when I went to their web site I see they are owned by someone in India? Is that for real? Also, I see posts here in this chat room "no work, no work, no work, paycheck sucks," etc. Can anyone fill me in on M*Modal, please. Also, do they supply you with the equipment? I do not want to work for a company owned by someone in India, that's for sure! Thank you in advance for your help! MT2 ...

New Job At M*Modal
Feb 05, 2013

I stopped doing medical transcription for a while and I am considering getting back into it.  I live in Green Bay, and no one is hiring in house.  I am considering taking a test with M*Modal.  Can anyone tell me anything about this company?  Good, bad, and ugly. ...

Just Saw An Ad For PT For M*Modal???
Sep 08, 2013

I thought they got rid of all PT positions??  Here's the link:  http://www.getmedicaltranscriptionjobs.com/acute-care-medical-transcriptionist-home-based-phoenix-arizona-3026501.htm ...

M*Modal Going Under?
Sep 08, 2014

I heard that M*Modal is sinking fast and won't be in business much longer.  Has anyone else heard this?  They've been having problems getting investors and new clients, so it wouldn't come as any great shock.  ...

So M*Modal And
Sep 30, 2014

Both offered OT last weekend....hmmm..... ...

M-Modal
Feb 13, 2015

Our company recently outsourced us and we are being offered jobs w M-Modal.  I have seen all of the negative comments but I was wondering how bad the pay is.  I typed about 220 lines/hour doing straight typing and they are saying their average for voice rec is 220/lines per hour.  If that were the case you'd be making nothing!  Can anyone give me any input?  Thanks!  ...

M-Modal Feedback
Dec 16, 2009

Would appreciate feedback from anyone using M-Modal, especially Webmedx Enterprise MTs. Dreading the conversion and wondering if my fears are well founded. I'm pretty fast straight typing but rarely get more than 50 lines more an hour with current VR. Seems all it takes is just one lousy report to negate the lines made on the decent reports. Afraid it's just going to be worse with M-Modal and the whole drop-down heading thing. Anyone have any encouragement to offer? ...