A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

min wage paid by MT company - curly

Posted: Oct 14, 2013

I was told last year when I worked (briefly) for an MT company that we had to clock out if we had an out of work situation because, technically, we were employees of that company which meant we had to be paid never less than min wage. Now I find myself working for that same company again, and a bunch of us are just about to get our first production pay checks from them, and I want to know if everyone out there who is pay by production at an MT company is getting paid AT LEAST min wage? I mean, if you have a week or a pay period where you didn't do so well on the production, the company is supposed to make up the difference between the production pay and min wage (like in a restaurant -- if a server doesn't make at least min wage in wages plus tips, the restaurant by law is supposed to make up the difference). Does that happen? Has anyone been getting AT LEAST min wage every week?

They are all SUPPOSED to. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The last company that I was an employee for, NO, we didn't get minimum wage, you got what you typed. The company before that, if you had a slow week, they definitely did pay you minimum wage, if your line rate was below that, BUT they also made it clear that this wouldn't be happening on a weekly basis. The option is pick up your production or find new employment. Not sure how that could happen when they didn't have enough lines, or when they did have lines, they were horrible dictators or sound quality, which made it very, very difficult.

all i can say is they BETTER pay min wage or - curly

[ In Reply To ..]
i will bring a lawsuit against them. i used to work pay by production years ago, but we were all independent contractors. if i find out this company - which i have already quit, by the way - does not want to pay at least min wage, then they should make the employees independent contractors instead of employees - but when i was told that we have to clock out when we don't have any work BUT we're still supposed to be chained to our computers constantly checking to see if we have work, meaning we can go half a shift or even an entire shift without making even one cent, but we couldn't go do something else like run errands or something, i said NO WAY! there is NO WAY i'm going to be chained to my computer constantly checking to see if i have work, but they're not going to pay me at least min wage!!

Nope - my company does not - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
The company I currently work for does not, and I am sick of making $5 to $6 an hour for all the stress. :(

Similar Messages:

Dumb Question Why Are Getting Paid Min Wage SM
Apr 13, 2010

I thought we got min wage for NJA.  I was reading some of the other posts, that suggest otherwise.  Can someone please clear this up for me, I have been losing my mind lately and don't clearly anymore. ...

Wage Not Paid By Kathy Yip And Associates
Jul 20, 2013

Kathy Yip has not paid me my last check for wages earned. No contact whatsoever. Refuses to answer calls or email messages. Where do I submit a labor claim in Florida or do you do it in the your home state?  Has anyone filed a claim for IC and received their wages? Reported her to BBB and see what happens there. Any other ideas to obtain your last check? ...

VA Contracts - You Should Be Paid A Minimum Hourly Wage
Sep 18, 2012

If you work for a transcription company on a VA hospital contract, you should be paid a minimum hourly wage as well as receive benefits per the Service Contract Act.  You may be even be eligible for back pay if you have not been paid correctly.  You can contact the Department of Labor and file a claim anonymously against your employer.   http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/wages-fed-contracts.htm ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

10 Cpl With No Spaces, Is That A Good Wage Or No? I Have Always Been Paid With Spaces, Thx, Nm
Jun 03, 2011

nm ...

Need Help, Former Company Has Not Paid My Last Two Checks
Oct 28, 2013

I recently lost my job due to them losing all of their clients. They have not paid me for my last two checks and they are stating that they don't have the money because the clinic did not pay them, but that they would pay me when they had the money. Today when I emailed them to get an update I got an automated response saying this email is no longer valid because the company was closed. I just want to know if there is anything I can do to get my money out of them or will it end up costin ...

I Have Tried Contacting The Mods About This Company That Has Not Paid
Dec 08, 2014

me yet.  They are a week late.  I will be saying the name if this company does not have my pay to me by TOMORROW.  I have an attorney, but I want to let the mods know I will name names if I do not hear from them quick.   ...

Minimum Wage Is Better Than No Wage, I Guess
May 29, 2013

Too bad we can't just type our way to $16, $17, and upwards of $20 per hour anymore.  Shoot, with the amount of work available, I guess I should consider myself lucky to even get MINIMUM WAGE. (Wish I was)!  ...

I Checked Posts And A Lot Of Messages Said This Company Paid "above Average" ...sm
Jul 02, 2012

so I applied ...... 7-1/2 cpl ST, 3-1/2 for VR.  Sigh.   In 1982, I made 10 cpl for a gross line.  I realize those days are long gone, but soon I will be flipping hamburgers. ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Min Wage, Law, Etc
Jul 02, 2010

I thought the only law was that they had to pay at least minimum wage.  That may not be true.  Just read this on a Yahoo story about the California budget trouble.  Double damages?  Maybe we can use this somehow?  "Schwarzenegger's order, if implemented, could cost the state billions of dollars because the action would violate employment law, Roper said. He cited the federal Fair Labor Standards Act, which he says entitles a worker to "double damages" if an employe ...

Min Wage
Apr 21, 2010

Does anyone know how long I can remain at MQ on min wage?  I am PT, and as hard as I try, I just can't seem to get a high enough line count doing 90% ESL ASR to break $8 an hour most days.  Some days I just get tired of trying, especially when NJA or in the cesspool.  Why should I bust my butt to get over 150 lph on ASR just to make a few pennies more than min wage when they have to pay me min wage anyway? I have another PT job (non-MT) that is taking some tim ...

Wage
Feb 04, 2015

I don't care how they try to sugar coat it, reword it to sound better, I type/edit a great deal more than I did 5 years ago, and I did real good then, averaged out around 21 an hour, yet I STILL make less with their constant pay changes, my quality is 99+, less than 5% to QA...so tell me, what's next on the list of telling me why I am not making more like the promises each danged time a new compensation plan comes out so that we get less and they take more?  It still comes down to ...

What Happens When You Get Less Than Minimum Wage?
Mar 14, 2010

I'm worried if I suffer another .03 cent decrease I may drop below minimum wage.  How do we indicate that to somebody?  Is it calculated per pay period - or what? ...

Getting Min Wage Becoming An Issue All Over?
Apr 14, 2010

No one said anything about it until recently, made it sound like they were "giving" it to me, that I didn't earn it sitting around full time doing ESL full qa, got the strong impression that they were saying my production better improve so I can be paid cpl instead of min wage, but can't get the lines with this ASR ESL/full qa stuff. Been with the q for over ten years, used to qa for good hourly wage, now this. ...

Starting Wage ....
Apr 27, 2010

I am considering entering into a MT program with one of the accredited schools, CareerStep.  For those that have went through the CareerStep program, can you tell me (a salary or a range) of what your starting wage is with your first employer? I am looking for responses from MT that are employees not IC.  (I need the health benefits). ...

Wage Garnishment
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone know if MedQuist employees can have their little tiny pays garnished, if so what is company policy regardiing this. I have heard if this happens the person will be terminated. ...

Wage Theft And The IRS
Sep 19, 2011

The labor department has agreed to share information with the IRS concerning businesses that cheat workers out of wages by misclassifying their employment status: "The information will help Labor officials target businesses that improperly label workers as independent contractors or as non-employees to deprive workers of minimum wage and overtime pay. Misclassifying workers also lets companies avoid paying workers compensation, unemployment insurance and federal taxes." Link:  http:/ ...

ASR Line Pay And Min. Wage
Jan 23, 2012

I have been gone awhile due to surgery and then I come back to find my MQ is changed again!  I have stuck it out six years and don't know how much longer I can take.  I have a question that you all may very well know (even hate) to answer.  I made an average of 164 lines on this horrible ASR program and didn't even break $7 an hour.  So my question is... By law do they have to pay us minimum wage or since we basically work on a commission does it matter? Thanks fe ...

Okay So Say It's A Wage Freeze
Oct 17, 2012

If our rates are frozen at 8/4, are manager's salaries also frozen? If they can find more money to pay them, can they not find more money to pay us?  I'm not even going to discuss Amy's salary.  I'm sure she gets a "cost of living" increase that's about equal to my annual pay. ...

If VR Were Done At An Hourly Wage,
Dec 30, 2012

would it be a more tolerable thing?  My current job is currently straight transcription but don't know how long that will last.  I know of a job opening with VR at an hourly rate, but have always hated VR in the past.  The contemplated position uses the Mmodal/Docuscribe and looks simpler than the systems I used in the past.  Do you think I should I hang on to what I have, even with a recent reduction in pay, or go for the hourly VR that also has better benefits? ...

Looking For Input On QA Wage
Apr 06, 2013

I have been transcribing for over 20 years and my wrists are a little tired.  The company I work for has offered me a position doing QA if I am interested.  I was hoping for a little advice on what the going rate for QA is so I know where to begin my discsussion.  I am hopeful I will be able to stay on with the company.  They pay weekly so even a hit in pay switching from MT to QA would not be so bad. ...

Minimum Wage In MA And MUP
Nov 20, 2013

Massachusetts may well pass a minimum wage of $11 (over 3 years).  It's passed the state senate.  Parts of WA (Seatac) actually have a $15 minimum wage.  Wonder what Nuance will do about MUP now, since so many in those states will be getting it.  Could get interesting.  ...

DC Minimum Wage
Dec 18, 2013

Okay, so I read by 2015, DC wants minimum wage to be $11.50 an hour. I'm assuming by that time Nuance will make our minimum line count reflect this increase - approximately 280 lph, especially since WE NEVER GET A RAISE. ...

Wage Theft, MUP, Etc.
Sep 03, 2014

I am an ex Nuance employee, now retired.  The 186 line minimum never made sense to me as for MUP it is not the line count that matters so much, it is where you live and what the minimum wage is in your state.  I guess in a state with no minimum wage or a low one, they want the lines done to be at least 186.  The minimum wage in my state is high and it made a huge difference if I got straight typing or VR, but towards the end I was getting 99.99% VR and so it was difficult to get t ...

Minimum Wage?
Oct 29, 2014

just wondering if anyone knows...is there any kind of rule for paying you a minimum wage if your income with MM drops below the minimum wage? ...

At Least Got Minimum Wage
Dec 17, 2014

Bottom line is, regardless of the new pay rules, it's hard to even make above minimum wage before or after the new rules. So at least federal law guarantees minimum wage. Beyond that, my goal is to get out of this field and leave this MTSO company ASAP, though it won't happen overnight. ...

Minimum Wage
Jan 25, 2015

A $15.00 minimum wage would equate to 375 lines per hour at .04 per line. That's 3000 lines a day for an 8 hour day! The best I have ever done was 2700 lines editing in an 8 hour day and that was only once and someplace where I had been doing the same doctors for 6 years. Guess I would get fired for always getting MUP. And by the way, that's 428 lines per hour (3424 lines per day) at .035 per line and 500 lines per hour at 0.03 (4000 lines per day). If more cities raise the ...

Wage Theft
Feb 03, 2015

Read literature here. http://wagetheft.org/wordpress/?page_id=1511  I think that these companies which lie, manipulate, false advertise their positions, cheat, pay less than minimum wage, and classify you all as ICs when in fact they require set hours, days, 'require' a weekend day, etc. are committing wage theft for sure.  How can they 'require' anything if you are an independent contractor, yet they blatantly advertise IC position with a Tues-Sat or Sun-Thurs schedule. ...

MUP/state Min Wage Etc.
Feb 12, 2015

This may be a stupid question, but is the minimum for lines expected changed in a state where the minimum wage is higher? I was fired in June for not reaching the min daily line count and went below 99% on 2 of the 3 weeks I was on probation. Illinois has an $8.25 min wage. I was at 98.25% for 2 out of the 3 weeks. (I know that has nothing to do with my question...) I want to remind everybody AGAIN, if you are threatened in any way about losing your job, FIND A WAY TO COPY THE EMAILS! I ...