A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would you work for $0.05 a line, based on 65-characters with spaces? - onemore

Posted: Nov 13, 2009

I have been offered a job with a company for clinic notes, which are the easiest.  As far as schedule goes, I just have to complete it w/in 24-hours.  So the kicker is, the pay is $0.05 a line, based on 65 characters with spaces.  They only pay once a month.  They also use Microsoft counter as well, which I am not sure if that is good or bad.  Would you take this position?

Definitely not! That pay is too low. NM - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
X

No. nm - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No way. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Not unless you like poverty level wages.. or less! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

No way. I could make more on unemployment. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

The reality side. - A Yearbie

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends on where you are in your career I supose. I am only guessing that most or all of the replies have came from 1, MT's who have employment or 2, MT's who have alot of experience and value that too much to work for those wages. That brings us to me. I would work for that. At lease to see what happens because I ned a job and I need experience. Just depends. Are you employed already? Are you looking for additoinal money? It depends if you want money or not. It won't be alot of money, but it will be money. Mainly, it will be experience and if you need that then the line rate really is insignificant at this point.

I actually sort of agree with you. - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
I did work for that rate when I was brand spanking new, just two years ago. It was with MRecord who was the only company who would hire me as a newbie. I knew going into it that I wasn't going to make much money and I just needed to suck it up and deal for the next year until I got some experience under my belt.

Now I make more than that and do very nicely with Landmark. I don't regret taking the position with MRecord, though. It got me where I needed to be.

I think you can do better... - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
As a newbie right out of school I was paid 7 cpl. I would hold out for a little bit more money unless you are really desperate.

No, taking advantage for sure. Pay once a month NO. - .

[ In Reply To ..]
Just say - did 1000 lines in 8 hours at
5 cents a line $50 a day, $6.25 and hour. Consider is it minimum hoursly wage, federal poverty wage? What is minimum wage for your state.??

Started at 6 cents - hardworkingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
This is interesting. I started as a newbie at RI Unlimited in 2001 doing clinic work using MS Word. I had 3 doctors I was assigned to, and after about 6 months, I knew them very very well. Each doc was transcribed via a wave file for their dictations per day, so you had one long continuous report per doc. It was great. I still have my paychecks. I was an IC, but on that 6 cents a line, I usually grossed 1600 to 2000 twice a month, and I worked 6 or 7 hours a day. After a year, I went to 7 cents a line. I was also able to do full 100% listens on each of my docs, which gave me great satisfaction. Then the account went to overseas outsourcing, and work dried up. It was a great account, too. So then I was at MQ for a while. Blech. I also worked at Intermountain Transcription Solutions on the Medical Associates Clinic account in Wisconsin, higher pay, and even bigger checks, 2000-2500 per pay period on average, and this was using Dictatphone Extext but you never had to input anything in there because it was ALWAYS correct. But they had in-house MTs so work dried up there after awhile. I worked on average 5-6 hours a day. Now, I'm doing acute care, working 8+ hours, primarily op notes on a huge stressful account which I like a lot but it's exhausting and draining, and I'm doing "great" if I exceed the required 1200 lines per day a few times a week, and that's pushing it, and I'm at 9 cents a line now. After benefits and taxes and retirement, my checks run about $800 a pay period. Woohoo! I do not have the energy to work 40 plus hours but will occasionally, but I don't get OT, so . . . Things have definitely changed, and you know what, if I could go back to either one of those old accounts, I would in a heartbeat. So that's how I feel about the low pay--it doesn't sound good at first, but you have to take everything into consideration.

UPDATE!!! - onemore

[ In Reply To ..]
Very skeptical, I said sure, but at the same time doing research on this company and listening to all the feedback from this post, I have decided not to take it. Here is my reason and a warning to others to READ the contract before signing:
LATE PENALTY: 1-59 minutes subtract $0.01 a line, 60-119 subtract $0.015, 120-179 minud $0.02 and 180+ minutes $0.03. No exceptions! And if an emergency comes up?
CONTACT OF CLIENTS: "You will be required to contact the client in order to make corrections by email or phone." I thought the purpose of being the "subcontractor" is that the "contractor" does this?
Here was something quite interesting:
FINAL PAY: It states that all software is to be removed from your computer and then states, "The burden of proof for all situations above shall rest upon the transcriptionist and shall require clear and convincing evidence." How do you prove you have deleted the software off your computer?

And here is the best part:
"There is a $150 set up fee that will be deducted out of your 1st paycheck." This is for the 1099 set-up. Since when is there a fee for this?

Thanks for all your feedback!

Wow. In other words, a person would essentially be paying them - Tired&CrankyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
so they could work there.

MT#1 has a file left and returns it to the pool still within TAT for whatever reason. The file is almost out of TAT and gets completed by MT #2. Which MT gets penalized the total lines for that late report?
A. MT#1 who sent it back and didn't type it.
B. MT#2 who completed the file late.
C. Both MT#1 and MT#2.
D. The QA who had to review the late file hung in the queue.
E. Both C and D.

I betcha it's E.

Not only does this company have such an enticing rate with its slave wages, but they also offer those MT-attracting penalties imposed against late work and my all time favorite, the lovely set-up fee for the 1099. Heck, I want the job of 1099 data entry, $150 for 5 seconds of work.

Too bad the IRS didn't catch on to this one. They could start charging us per page when we file tax returns on top of owing them money every year.

The only good thing about this place is that an MT would be allowed to contact the client, which could then open the door to so many other possibilities.

What company is advertising this joke?

I hope you warmed up before you did your running in the other direction. lol

Please state name of company nm - NB

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

AP Medical - onemore

[ In Reply To ..]
Oops, I forgot to mention the noncompete clause that was also in this contract. So yes, you get to have direct contact with the client BUT there is a noncompete clause to cross off any other possibilities. It even went to the exent if "any friends, family, etc." How are they to know who are your "friends"?
Thanks for posting the name to let the rest sm - NB
[ In Reply To ..]
of us know beforehand.

Unbelievable! Keep thinking it can't get any worse, but they always manage to come up with some other lame weirdness!
The plot thickens sm - NB
[ In Reply To ..]
Looks like you really dodged a bullet on this one. It appears that this is actually Toth Transcription with a name change and they are notorious on this board for not paying.

"Toth Transcription

Posted By: Gabby on 2009-09-03
In Reply to:

Most of you have read the negative comments regarding Toth Transcription in Wexford, PA. Beware...they have now changed their name to AP Medical, Inc. When you call up their company on google, it jumps to the AP Medical website. Just wonder how they can keep operating. "

Disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge about this company.

See link below and other posts by searching on Toth:
WOW! - onemore
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the information. I had actually checked with the better business and it only stated the rating of a B and this was only because of length of time they were in business. In addition, I did come across that they were named Toth Transcription, but never thought to look that up here on this website. Originally when I took the test, he required me to sign a privacy agreement with my name and social security number. I emailed him back that I will send it with my signature but not my social but was happy to give it to him if I got the job. I did take the test and so forth. He seemed nice, but looking back at the prior posts, it was the same scenerio for me. I first got replies with email and was told to call his cell, where he appeared to be distracted or in the car. When I called him, after receiving that I got the job, and wanted to find out details of the job, he told me to start asking questions and he would talk. How odd, he almost seemed lost for words, like I caught him off guard or something...

what company is this? - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Similar Messages:

Lines Based On Characters With No Spaces, Throughts?
Jul 19, 2013

I just got a transcription job and am being paid with Word Count characters without spaces. I was told I would be making 9 cpl but when I figure out the spaces, it's around 7 cpl. Your thoughts on this please. Thanks. ...

How Many Characters With Spaces Is A Line, Pls
May 19, 2015

I'm thinking 36, but want to make sure..I was bored today and kept track of pretty much everything I did that I don't get paid for, wish I could include time on google looking up information..But ...

Nuance Line Counts Are Not Based On 65 Characters
Apr 28, 2012

I have heard that Nuance line counts are not based on 65 characters.  Does anyone know what the actual length of the lines would be?   Thanks ...

Line Counts - Umber Of Characters And Spaces And Divide By 65
Jun 12, 2013

Can someone help me out here ?  I have forgotten the purpose of this.  I work for a company that does transcription in Microsoft Word.  Of course you can check your line counts in word, but this company says that isn't right and we have to take the number of characters and spaces and divide by 65 and that is our line count, which is always less than what Word says.  Can anybody remember why it's different?  Thanks. ...

Line Counting Software - 65 Characters Per Line
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is for 65 characters per line with no spaces.  Can't that be done in Microsoft Word as well? ...

Line Pay/characters
Mar 25, 2010

Can anyone tell me what the benefits of getting paid based on character count is versus line pay? How should that be computed? ...

Does Anyone Know What 0.08 Line Without Spaces Equals Out To With Spaces?
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone know what 0.08 line without spaces equals out to with spaces? ...

Wondering? New Company Working For Counts 65 Characters Per Line. Is This Normal? Seems High To
Nov 11, 2009

NM ...

PAY BASED ON 50-CHARACTER LINE
Aug 04, 2011

I WAS OFFERED A POSITION AT A COMPANY I CANNOT NAME AT 0.076 CPL WITH A LINE BASED ON 50 CHARACTERS, ALL TYPING, NO VR.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS WOULD BE EQUAL TO ON A 65-CHARACTER LINE?  IS THIS AN ACCEPTABLE PAY AS I HAVE NEVER USED A 50-CHARACTER LINE BEFORE? ...

Line Production Based Upon Schedule
Jun 18, 2012

I've seen a good # of messages about the lack of work, and I'm wondering if the hours worked might be a contributing factor. IOW, people who work 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. would get more or less work than someone working the 2nd or 3rd shifts. ...

7 Cents A Line W/o Spaces!!
Oct 24, 2011

There has got to be something better than this!!  Any one know of any companies that pay more than this for subcontractor with 4 years experience? ...

Line Count And Spaces
Nov 30, 2011

Started working for a company just about 2 months ago.  Contract states they pay for a 65 character line including spaces and bolding.  Have been making about 50 lines per hour.  Their system is window XP profession version and it is their computer.  Does 50 lines per hour sound right.  At my worst, at my last job I did at least 100 lines per hour.  There is no way to do a line count in Word on their computer because it is set up the same as in their system.  I ...

Line Rates/spaces
Aug 11, 2012

Does getting paid for spaces add about 2 cents to line rate?  I was getting 10 cpl for an account (not paid for spaces) and then lost that to offshoring.  The new account pays 8 cpl, but paid for spaces, so they say that's equivalent.  Does that sound right?  Is that the average rate now?    Interesting article just stumbled on:  http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/26/medical-transcription-theres-just-no-money-in-it/ ...

Does Amphion Pay On A 65 Character Line With Spaces?
Jun 14, 2010

nm ...

MTSOs Are Counting Spaces In Their Line Counts?
Jun 10, 2010

Anyone know if the MTSOs are counting spaces in their line counts?  Is the standard still a 65 character line?   ...

Question About 7 Cents A Line With Spaces Counted
May 10, 2012

I have a question:  I currently make 8 cents a line, but it is VBC.  If I had a job that paid 7 cents normally, but paid for spaces and other things in the report would one be coming out ahead making at least 8 cents a line or may be even more when it is all figured out?  Has anyone ever done this and actually making more $$$ by making the 7 cents a line instead of 8 cents?   I used to have a job that paid 10 to 10.5 cents a line, but they sold out. I was just ...

What Is The Average # Of VBCs In A 65-character Line With Spaces?
Mar 06, 2013

x ...

Line Counts - When Figuring Lines, Do Most People Include Spaces?
Jul 24, 2012

When figuring lines, do most people include spaces? ...

If A MTSO Quotes A Pay Rate Based On 65 Character Per Printable Character Line...
May 20, 2010

does this mean they don't pay for spaces? TIA. ...

What Is A "weighted Line"? I Saw An Ad On Another Board Advertising Pay Based On S/m
Oct 27, 2009

a 65 character line with spaces and in parentheses they indicated "not weighted."  What would that mean?  What would it mean if it was "weighted"?  Whatever happened to just being paid for what you type????? ...

10 Cpl With No Spaces, Is That A Good Wage Or No? I Have Always Been Paid With Spaces, Thx, Nm
Jun 03, 2011

nm ...

What In The World Is A 65-character "virtual" Line With Spaces?
Oct 24, 2009

I saw an ad on a board for a company that pays this way.  I've never heard of a virtual line.  Does anyone know what this is and how is compared to a regular 65-character line? ...

Pay Per Characters?
Mar 18, 2013

I have been offered a job where the dictation comes through in audio minutes. The pay they have offered is per every so many characters. Characters are easy to find in Word, but how do I figure out what that pay equals in minutes or hours per audio? Thanks to anyone who knows what I'm trying to say. LOL ...

Amphion Characters
Dec 24, 2011

I have seen threads that state they were making more $$$ with Amphion even though they pay characters without spaces. Makes no sense, but if dictation is better that certainly would be possible. Anyone working there care to comment on this subject (especially working on Escription)? ...

Wrong Characters
May 15, 2012

I am desperate for any solutions to this problem and I am hoping some kind individual can offer advice. When I am typing in the platform I use, report will be going welll when suddenly the wrong characers start typing.  This does not happen in my own documents such as Word Pad.  The problem seems to be only in the platform I am using for transcription.   Has anyone experienced something similar?  Solution?   Many thanks in advance.   ...

$0.05 Per 43 Visible Black Characters?
Mar 29, 2010

Exactly what does that end up being translated into a usual 65 character line with spaces?    I'm feeling like I need a math degree to figure out what I'm going to get paid lately.  ...

Saw A Job Offer For .05 Per 45 Black Characters?
Apr 11, 2010

This pay sounds horrible. ...

Does Accentus Only Pay For Black Characters? Nm
Jun 08, 2012

nm ...

NC Based Companies.
Nov 11, 2011

I am looking for North Carolina based MTSOs.  I know about Fast Chart and Archivus. Just curious as to any more. Trying to make decision about whether to stay in this business or change and would like to work for a company based in my own state.  I am so tired of being 3 hours or more behind where I work and having to wait for answers, help etc from the MTSOs that are across the county or out of the country! ...

Where Is Nuance Based? Nm
Dec 01, 2013

Xx ...