A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

disk or disc - also....grade 2 or grade II - Ann

Posted: May 04, 2012

Two questions that I need clarification on please.  (1)  Is it disc or disk and also (2) is it grade 2 or grade II?

Thanks.

disk unless regarding eye and grade 2. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
stage use roman numerals.

thanks for reply - Ann

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much! That's the way I have been doing them both for 20 years but it came into question lately so I wanted to double check with someone else for confirmation.

Reality - mt123

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends on what the client wants. I have some who want disk for the back, grade 2 and some who want disc for the back and grade II and some who want a mixture of the two. Since they are who cut the checks, that's who's "BOS" to me :)

agree with mt123 - disc

[ In Reply To ..]
All Stedman's reference books show disc over disk as the preferred spelling for the back. My son-in-law who is a radiologist says he and his colleagues prefer disc, as that is how it is spelled in all the textbooks they learned from. That's what drives me nuts about AAMT - they think they can change the rules however they want at their whim and we MUST consider the BOS as the BIBLE OF TRANSCRIPTION! Bottom line... it depends on the client.

This has so sporadically changed throughout - the years & like Ann said

[ In Reply To ..]
...it always bends to the company's will regardless of BOS.

Similar Messages:

Grade 2 / Grade II Sprain Of The Ankle (also, Is Grade Capped) ?? Nm Thx
Mar 04, 2011

x ...

Grade 1 Or Grade I Diastolic Dysfunction
Jul 31, 2013

grade 1 or grade I diastolic dysfunction????? ...

Disk Versus Disc - Degenerative Disk/disc Disease?
Sep 26, 2014

I work with an MT who insists that it is degenerative disk disease, but we have an ortho doctor who insists it is degenerative disc disease.  He is so annoyed that in his latest dictation he says "humor me and just spell it d-i-s-c" and then proceeds to spell the word every single time he says it throughout the report. Now, I will say that I always typed it "degenerative disc disease" because I worked for an ortho office and was told that was the preferred spelling.  When I start ...

Low-grade Lymphoma Or Low Grade?
Jan 25, 2010

this is driving me nuts! ...

11th Grade Or Grade?
Feb 24, 2010

She had finished the 11th grade. ...

Disc Or Disk? Degenerative Disc Disease?
Jun 03, 2010

Just wondering... I know AAMT is saying use "disk" for all, but what about DDD?  Do you use degenerative "disc" or "disk" disease?  ...

Hemorrhoid With "grade 4" Or "grade IV" Prolapse.
Oct 17, 2011

:) ...

Disk Or Disc
Jan 19, 2010

Does anyone have a trick on how to know which is the right form to use?  When I look them up in the dictionary I am thinking disc is for eyes and disk is for spine??  Any help appreciated!  ...

Disk Vs Disc
May 11, 2012

I am curious as to the correct way to use this word when talking about the spine.  I have seen it both ways in my references and back in the day it used to be disc when talking about the eye, but it seems now ortho is using it.  Can someone enlighten me please as to the current preference? ...

Disc Or Disk?
Feb 25, 2015

what is the preferred spelling of disc/disk?  The way I learned was that it doesn't totally matter as long as the spelling is the same throughout the report.  But now I am getting feedback that it does matter.  Thoughts? ...

Disk Versus Disc
Jan 16, 2010

Cervical disk versus disc, which is the preferred?  I thought it was disk, but in speech jobs lately it is spelled as disc.  TIA ...

Age Old Question: Disk Or Disc
Jan 22, 2010

I know it's been asked before -- and answered before.  BOS 2nd likes DISK.  I still like it too.  I also like DISC for anything optic related.  Unless definite client preference, is there any updated consensus on using one or the other these days?   Thanks. ...

Disc Versus Disk
Jun 07, 2011

Can someone please clear this up for me as in C3-4 disc or disk? ...

PIC/PICC And Disk/Disc
Apr 11, 2015

ASR always used to type out PICC (not PIC) and disk (not disc).  I just did a long report and throughout the report it had both disc and disk even in the same sentence.  Also, we were told PICC is the correct abbreviation, not PIC -- so why all of a sudden can't ASR get these abbreviations/words correct?  Why is it getting worse?  How is it getting worse? ...

Disk Or Disc?? What's The Final Verdict?
Apr 18, 2013

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was taught "disk" for eye, "disc" for vertebrae. These days, QA is contraindicating themselves like crazy.  If I type disc for vertebrae, they change it to disk.  If I type disk for vertebrae, they change it to disc.  What gives?  Same goes for eye.  This is driving me nuts.  What do you do here? ...

Grade 4-5/6
Dec 11, 2009

is it grade 4-5/6 or grade 4 to 5 over 6?? ...

When To Use Grade II Or Grade 2
Sep 16, 2010

Can someone explain to me (or point me in the right direction of where to look) how do I know when to use IV versus 4.  I'm doing searches but confused as both are coming up.  Example - grade II (or 2) patellofemoral chondrosis, grade 4 (or IV) osteochondral defect.  My report is not looking uniform and unsure which to use anymore or where to look to make sure I'm correct. Thank you for any help. ...

Grade 1 Or Grade I
May 06, 2011

Which is correct? Grade 1 or Grade I (as in spondylosis, for example)? ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Disc Versus Disk? Back In The Stone Ages When I First Became An MT
Jul 17, 2014

I was told disc when referring to optic discs and disk when referring to the spine.  Then I believe the standard was changed to disc for everything.  I just recently started a new job where I was pinged for using disc in a lumbar steroid injection report by my supervisor who told me to use disk for the spine.  So which is correct?  I can't keep up since they put a new book of style every other year. Thanks! ...

S/l Tobacco Grade
Oct 19, 2009

Denies tobacco s/l grade. any ideas? ...

Help Please! Is It Grade 1 Or I MCL Sprain?
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks in advance! ...

FIGO Grade?
Mar 29, 2010

All of my searching brings up only FIGO staging, never grading.  I even checked the FIGO web site.  So, when a doctor dictates it as grade, should it be automatically changed to stage?  TIA ...

High Grade...
Apr 18, 2010

I'm having a TIA, I think.  This sentence is "....68-year-old woman with a high-grade leiomyosarcoma..."  Should there be a hyphen in "high grade" or not?  I've totally thought about this too much and I can't remember when you do and don't use the hyphen.  Please help!! Thanks! ...

Stage Or Grade
May 18, 2010

Anyone have a secret way of remembering when to use roman numerals or numbers for stage and grade?  ...

LA Grade A Esophagitis
Jan 04, 2011

Is there such a thing as 'LA Grade A esophagitis'?  Thanks! ...

Grade 1 Or I, Stage 1 Or I - Please Help
Apr 28, 2011

how to write grades and stages:  grade 1 or I, stage 1 or I - please help ...

Spondylolisthesis - Grade 2 Or II?
Jul 19, 2011

I can never remember this one. ...

Low- To Moderate-grade?
Aug 26, 2011

Hi, I have a question that is driving me bonkers trying to figure out. I transcribe radiology, and the following phrase is used frequently: "..... mild to moderate grade...." by one particular doctor. Does anyone have any ideas about the proper way this phrase should be transcribed? For example, mild- to moderate-grade; mild to moderate grade; mild-to-moderate-grade? Thank you for any help! ...

Grade 1 Or I For Femur Changes
Aug 01, 2013

Is it Arabic or Roman numerals? ...