A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Disk or disc?? what's the final verdict? - sm

Posted: Apr 18, 2013

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was taught "disk" for eye, "disc" for vertebrae. These days, QA is contraindicating themselves like crazy.  If I type disc for vertebrae, they change it to disk.  If I type disk for vertebrae, they change it to disc.  What gives?  Same goes for eye.  This is driving me nuts.  What do you do here?

My understanding is it is now "disk" for all. NM - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I think you should get a definitive answer from your QA - research

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is what BOS III says, page 393:

Disk/disc: Most medical lexicographic resources as well as The AMA Manual of Style 10th edition indicate the use of disk for all anatomical terms other than ophthalmologic use. However, Terminologia Anatomica retains the use of disc in reference to spinal terminology. Transcriptions should be aware that the preferred trend is for use of disk; however, many orthopedists still prefer the guidelines outlined in Terminologia Anatomica and may direct an MT to use disc in transcription of spinal terminology. This same rule applies to terms like orthopedic vs. orthopaedic; the Old English spellings are still referenced in Terminologia Anatomica, and therefore some orthopedists still defer to that usage. The preferred trend, however, is to use the modern spellings.

For myself, I tend to match the spelling in the CPT manual, which uses disc.

That changes - Every few years

[ In Reply To ..]
In my 15 years of doing this, disc/disk preference has changed several times

I decided on my very own to just use disk for everything except the eyes; then, I use disc. I simply can't keep up with what BOS decides that day.

If I get/got feedback otherwise, I would adjust to it, but it seems to not be one of the things the clients/companies worry about, so I save myself the trouble and do as above.

I'm not saying to do your own thing--I'm just saying don't fret it unless someone in authority at your company is.

What I do - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I flip a coin. Heads it's disc for the day, tails it's disk. It's going to be changed either way I go, since QA apparently tosses coins too.

Agree, it is up to facility, but see the article in link below. - Oasis

[ In Reply To ..]
x

It seems to be a matter of preference... - sm/OP

[ In Reply To ..]
since it gets changed by different QA people, most likely based upon their own personal preference. I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. :)

Don't spend time fretting - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Definitely not worth fretting over. Too much time is often spent on these stupid little things--we have enough bigger fish to fry. If the client or your person doing your audits doesn't care, then you shouldn't.

Similar Messages:

Disk Versus Disc - Degenerative Disk/disc Disease?
Sep 26, 2014

I work with an MT who insists that it is degenerative disk disease, but we have an ortho doctor who insists it is degenerative disc disease.  He is so annoyed that in his latest dictation he says "humor me and just spell it d-i-s-c" and then proceeds to spell the word every single time he says it throughout the report. Now, I will say that I always typed it "degenerative disc disease" because I worked for an ortho office and was told that was the preferred spelling.  When I start ...

Disc Or Disk? Degenerative Disc Disease?
Jun 03, 2010

Just wondering... I know AAMT is saying use "disk" for all, but what about DDD?  Do you use degenerative "disc" or "disk" disease?  ...

Disk Or Disc
Jan 19, 2010

Does anyone have a trick on how to know which is the right form to use?  When I look them up in the dictionary I am thinking disc is for eyes and disk is for spine??  Any help appreciated!  ...

Disk Vs Disc
May 11, 2012

I am curious as to the correct way to use this word when talking about the spine.  I have seen it both ways in my references and back in the day it used to be disc when talking about the eye, but it seems now ortho is using it.  Can someone enlighten me please as to the current preference? ...

Disc Or Disk?
Feb 25, 2015

what is the preferred spelling of disc/disk?  The way I learned was that it doesn't totally matter as long as the spelling is the same throughout the report.  But now I am getting feedback that it does matter.  Thoughts? ...

Disk Versus Disc
Jan 16, 2010

Cervical disk versus disc, which is the preferred?  I thought it was disk, but in speech jobs lately it is spelled as disc.  TIA ...

Age Old Question: Disk Or Disc
Jan 22, 2010

I know it's been asked before -- and answered before.  BOS 2nd likes DISK.  I still like it too.  I also like DISC for anything optic related.  Unless definite client preference, is there any updated consensus on using one or the other these days?   Thanks. ...

Disc Versus Disk
Jun 07, 2011

Can someone please clear this up for me as in C3-4 disc or disk? ...

PIC/PICC And Disk/Disc
Apr 11, 2015

ASR always used to type out PICC (not PIC) and disk (not disc).  I just did a long report and throughout the report it had both disc and disk even in the same sentence.  Also, we were told PICC is the correct abbreviation, not PIC -- so why all of a sudden can't ASR get these abbreviations/words correct?  Why is it getting worse?  How is it getting worse? ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Disc Versus Disk? Back In The Stone Ages When I First Became An MT
Jul 17, 2014

I was told disc when referring to optic discs and disk when referring to the spine.  Then I believe the standard was changed to disc for everything.  I just recently started a new job where I was pinged for using disc in a lumbar steroid injection report by my supervisor who told me to use disk for the spine.  So which is correct?  I can't keep up since they put a new book of style every other year. Thanks! ...

Lumbar Disc Or Lumbar Disk- Which Is Correct-- Sm
Jul 09, 2011

Which is the correct way to transcribe this -- lumbar disc or lumbar disk -- I have been transcribing 4-ever and typed it disc but was recently told it is disk??  ...

Bulging Disc Or Bulging Disk?
Dec 14, 2010

Don't know whether to use "c" or "k" ...

Disk Or Disc - Also....grade 2 Or Grade II
May 04, 2012

Two questions that I need clarification on please.  (1)  Is it disc or disk and also (2) is it grade 2 or grade II? Thanks.   ...

At L4-5, There Is S/l (disc-a-zation) Of The Disc Representing Loss Of Water Content.
Mar 07, 2012

TIA :-) ...

Is It "disc" Or "disk"?
Nov 13, 2009

I am seeing it spelled both ways. Which is it? Thanks for any replies! ...

Disk Formatting
Oct 17, 2011

I got a new computer.  I do work for a local doc the old fashioned way (tapes) and would like to save his work on disks (used 3.5 on old computer).  I tried to format the disk and things were going well until the last few seconds when a window popped up saying format could not be completed, but no reason why.  I have tried several times since and the same thing happens.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am using CD-RW disks.  Thanks. ...

Stapedotomy Disk On A Stick?
Feb 10, 2012

Ever heard of a disk on a stick for a stapedotomy? ...

Sounds Like Dysglurban Or Disk Lurban??
Jan 02, 2014

I have a doc saying "problem with chronic dizziness slash (and what sounds like) dysglurban" Any ideas? ...

Is It Even Possible To Purchase Word On A Disk Anymore?
Aug 23, 2014

I just need MS Word 2013....but everywhere I look all I see available are "download only" or "no media" or key card only, no disk. I'm worried about getting a copy with no disk. Has anyone ever found a place to purchase Word with a disk for a reasonable price? Or have you had luck with just the downloaded version? Downloaded versions are usually in the $60 to $80 range. Thanks for any advice! ...

Final Paychecks
Feb 06, 2010

Has anyone who has left MQ either by quitting or termination had any trouble receiving their final paycheck(s) and PTO balance? ...

Final Check
Jun 30, 2010

Do anybody know how your final check is sent by Keystrokes?  I had direct deposit and wondered if it would go that way or be mailed out. ...

Final Diagnosis
Apr 22, 2010

Final Diagnosis..... ACE, ASA  s/l "steve a" stable angina pectoris   ...

Anyone Know About Final Checks . . .
Jun 25, 2010

I finally cut ties with the Q after being returning to work for them and finding them not to be the company they once were or the pay was not the same.  After careful consideration and finding another position, I resigned.  Awaiting my pay out from my PTO and being told it would be deposited today, nada.   Anyone have any idea about this?  Will this be sent as a final check or did I get the royal kick in the you know where and will not see that PTO payout. Thanks Q. ...

Perhaps Final Update
Mar 19, 2012

This will probably be my final post.  As some of you might recall, I graduated with my MD in 2010, and just received notice this week that I will be starting residency in July in Family Medicine.  I once again want to reiterate to all of the MTs and QAs out there slaving away for M*Modal that there is no computer in the world that can replace a human brain, that your skills are valuable, and that you are professionals and irreplaceable.  My 30 years in medical transcription was in ...

Final Paycheck - Does Anyone Know....sm
Jul 21, 2012

if your final paycheck is direct deposited or if they mail your check?  Thanks. ...

CMS Final Rule
Jan 30, 2013

This was published in the Federal Register last week, correct?  I have a friend who is in a battle with an insurance company over a very sick child.  They are always throwing up obstacles for coverage. She told me that out-of-network treatment is covered at 50% of 200% of Medicare rates.  So we are trying to uncover exactly what that rate is.  Is the CMS Final Rule document what  I am looking for to help her? Is Coder here?  Expert insight would be so appreciated ...

Awaiting Final Pay
Jun 28, 2013

I have been waiting for final pay from MTSO since May when check was "sent" It has not been received by me, nor has it been returned to MTSO.   Operator of MTSO says they have "fulfilled their legal obligation" and the fact that I have not received money is unfortunate.  Apparently no new check will be issued or Direct Deposit made until original check is returned as not deliverable.  Thoughts and advice please? Yes, I have emailed weekly and have the same response.  ...

Anyone Else Ever Get A Final Warning (PM)?
Jul 31, 2014

Just curious if anyone has gotten a final warning or if anyone has been fired from Mmodal?   I think I might be next...hoping if I do that I will be able to get unemployment because I am really trying to do my best but have not been able to pass audits for long....  ...

? DISC
Jan 31, 2012

Neurosurgery:  Left L4-5 retroperitoneal retrieval of s/l "sharatade" disc.  ? disc Thanks. ...