A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

disc or disk? - preferred spelling

Posted: Feb 25, 2015

what is the preferred spelling of disc/disk?  The way I learned was that it doesn't totally matter as long as the spelling is the same throughout the report.  But now I am getting feedback that it does matter.  Thoughts?

disc/disk - GC

[ In Reply To ..]
I looked in my trusty Stedman's Orthopedic and Rehab Words; they actually have it listed both ways. Under "disc" they have "var. of disk". I too also learned that it doesn't matter - as long as the spelling is the same throughout the report.

disc or diak? - pt3

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes it depends on the company- I work for an ortho and they want disc.

I was taught disc for ophthalmic and disk for ortho. - no message

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Was taught disc for ophth and disk for ortho too - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

disk - not disc

[ In Reply To ..]
I also recently got feedback that disk is correct. After researching found it could be either or, but I have used disc for eons and centuries so was a bit gobsmacked.

Similar Messages:

Disk Versus Disc - Degenerative Disk/disc Disease?
Sep 26, 2014

I work with an MT who insists that it is degenerative disk disease, but we have an ortho doctor who insists it is degenerative disc disease.  He is so annoyed that in his latest dictation he says "humor me and just spell it d-i-s-c" and then proceeds to spell the word every single time he says it throughout the report. Now, I will say that I always typed it "degenerative disc disease" because I worked for an ortho office and was told that was the preferred spelling.  When I start ...

Disc Or Disk? Degenerative Disc Disease?
Jun 03, 2010

Just wondering... I know AAMT is saying use "disk" for all, but what about DDD?  Do you use degenerative "disc" or "disk" disease?  ...

Disk Or Disc
Jan 19, 2010

Does anyone have a trick on how to know which is the right form to use?  When I look them up in the dictionary I am thinking disc is for eyes and disk is for spine??  Any help appreciated!  ...

Disk Vs Disc
May 11, 2012

I am curious as to the correct way to use this word when talking about the spine.  I have seen it both ways in my references and back in the day it used to be disc when talking about the eye, but it seems now ortho is using it.  Can someone enlighten me please as to the current preference? ...

Disk Versus Disc
Jan 16, 2010

Cervical disk versus disc, which is the preferred?  I thought it was disk, but in speech jobs lately it is spelled as disc.  TIA ...

Age Old Question: Disk Or Disc
Jan 22, 2010

I know it's been asked before -- and answered before.  BOS 2nd likes DISK.  I still like it too.  I also like DISC for anything optic related.  Unless definite client preference, is there any updated consensus on using one or the other these days?   Thanks. ...

Disc Versus Disk
Jun 07, 2011

Can someone please clear this up for me as in C3-4 disc or disk? ...

PIC/PICC And Disk/Disc
Apr 11, 2015

ASR always used to type out PICC (not PIC) and disk (not disc).  I just did a long report and throughout the report it had both disc and disk even in the same sentence.  Also, we were told PICC is the correct abbreviation, not PIC -- so why all of a sudden can't ASR get these abbreviations/words correct?  Why is it getting worse?  How is it getting worse? ...

Disk Or Disc?? What's The Final Verdict?
Apr 18, 2013

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was taught "disk" for eye, "disc" for vertebrae. These days, QA is contraindicating themselves like crazy.  If I type disc for vertebrae, they change it to disk.  If I type disk for vertebrae, they change it to disc.  What gives?  Same goes for eye.  This is driving me nuts.  What do you do here? ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Disc Versus Disk? Back In The Stone Ages When I First Became An MT
Jul 17, 2014

I was told disc when referring to optic discs and disk when referring to the spine.  Then I believe the standard was changed to disc for everything.  I just recently started a new job where I was pinged for using disc in a lumbar steroid injection report by my supervisor who told me to use disk for the spine.  So which is correct?  I can't keep up since they put a new book of style every other year. Thanks! ...

Lumbar Disc Or Lumbar Disk- Which Is Correct-- Sm
Jul 09, 2011

Which is the correct way to transcribe this -- lumbar disc or lumbar disk -- I have been transcribing 4-ever and typed it disc but was recently told it is disk??  ...

Bulging Disc Or Bulging Disk?
Dec 14, 2010

Don't know whether to use "c" or "k" ...

Disk Or Disc - Also....grade 2 Or Grade II
May 04, 2012

Two questions that I need clarification on please.  (1)  Is it disc or disk and also (2) is it grade 2 or grade II? Thanks.   ...

At L4-5, There Is S/l (disc-a-zation) Of The Disc Representing Loss Of Water Content.
Mar 07, 2012

TIA :-) ...

Is It "disc" Or "disk"?
Nov 13, 2009

I am seeing it spelled both ways. Which is it? Thanks for any replies! ...

Disk Formatting
Oct 17, 2011

I got a new computer.  I do work for a local doc the old fashioned way (tapes) and would like to save his work on disks (used 3.5 on old computer).  I tried to format the disk and things were going well until the last few seconds when a window popped up saying format could not be completed, but no reason why.  I have tried several times since and the same thing happens.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am using CD-RW disks.  Thanks. ...

Stapedotomy Disk On A Stick?
Feb 10, 2012

Ever heard of a disk on a stick for a stapedotomy? ...

Sounds Like Dysglurban Or Disk Lurban??
Jan 02, 2014

I have a doc saying "problem with chronic dizziness slash (and what sounds like) dysglurban" Any ideas? ...

Is It Even Possible To Purchase Word On A Disk Anymore?
Aug 23, 2014

I just need MS Word 2013....but everywhere I look all I see available are "download only" or "no media" or key card only, no disk. I'm worried about getting a copy with no disk. Has anyone ever found a place to purchase Word with a disk for a reasonable price? Or have you had luck with just the downloaded version? Downloaded versions are usually in the $60 to $80 range. Thanks for any advice! ...

? DISC
Jan 31, 2012

Neurosurgery:  Left L4-5 retroperitoneal retrieval of s/l "sharatade" disc.  ? disc Thanks. ...

"disk Bulging Of The (___)opathy Abutting...
Oct 15, 2011

Can anyone help with the beginning of this word? CT scan done which revealed disk bulging of the (___)opathy abutting the right S1 nerve root, L5-S1. Thank you. ...

Cup-to-disc Ratio
Mar 30, 2010

doctor states "cup-to-disc ratio is two to three"  How is this typed?  ...

Copying ESP Onto Disc
Apr 03, 2010

I'm trying to copy my ExText ESP word expander onto a disc.  Everytime I try, it says "please insert disc into drive D" even when I have one in.  Does anybody know why it won't copy?  Thank's ...

Disc Contact?
Oct 08, 2010

did anyone ever hear of neural foraminal disc  contact?  This is new to me.  ...

S/l Disc ANNULI C3-C4
May 09, 2011

Cervical MRI 07/22/09 showed bulging disc annuli C3-C4, C4-C5, C5-C6, and C6-C7 without impingement ...

Herniated Disc
Apr 15, 2012

Paraspinous muscles were dissected or resected (not sure could be either by the sound) and William retractor was inserted to allow visualization. ...

Test For Disc Hernation
Feb 16, 2010

s/l Sagersane’s test was negative for disc herniation ...

INJURY WITH A HARO DISC ?
Aug 27, 2010

It was a harrow disc (piece of farm equipment).  He injury to the haro disc and not by a harrow disc and that is what threw me off.  Thanks ...

Disc Protrusion/extrusion And...
Sep 07, 2010

"Thoracic MRI - possible T6-7 left paramedian disc protrusion/extrusion s/l 'and/or osseofied formation' with no significant cord compression."  I'm not sure what the dr is trying to say here...I don't know if that and/or is part of the word or if it is just 'and' and she was stumbling over her words with the 'or' part. ...