A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

complete information in job ads - steady eddie

Posted: Sep 22, 2010

It would be helpful and save time on both ends and lots of paperwork and hemming and hawing if the line rate, hours, bennies, requirements, etc., were given with each ad (I know some do this already)  and then people could apply with that knowledge in hand and present themselves accordingly.  The correct applicant would be applying for the correct job.  Win/win.  I mean, what's the big secret?  Since we are all lumped together no matter how many years of experience, just give us the line rate up front. 

Suggestion:  There should be a place in all companies for newbies to learn with oldies reviewing their work before it is sent out.  That way, the newbie can learn and the oldie can utilize her wisdom and experience and mentor as well, and the newbie moves up into the company when ready and you have a person already working on the accounts in full swing.   Win, win, win there. 

I hear ya - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I just applied at a job because they had "flexible schedules" but then was told that it was an 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. shift. If I had known that, I would not have wasted my time testing and interviewing as I don't want to work that shift.

They don't post pay rates because they're embarassed of the amount - they offer and want us to jump through hoops (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

Actually, many flex pay rates and are prepared to offer more and less - anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
to different applicants.

BTW, regarding nursing new people along, I've been at this for a few years, and the last time I started a new job new employees were to be on probation for 3 days, then released. I spent half a day learning the system and account specifics, the rest of the day working, signed on the next morning and was told I'd been released to go to work.

That whole teacher/mentor system would effectively require paying 2 employees: 1 teacher and 1 newbie, instead of just hiring 1 skilled MT ready to work. Pay for the newbie obviously would have to be virtually nothing.

who can afford to mentor? - seriously

[ In Reply To ..]
While in THEORY it sounds like a good plan for "oldies" to mentor "newbies" but sorry, my time is valuable and I don't want to spend it for free helping someone learn what they should have learned in school or taking the place of the QA staff.

Agree! If I am to be a trainer/teacher, pay me as one. My time - is not free, I have a family to provide for. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You are so right! - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
What gets me is when they want you to spend your time to test before telling you the line rate. I have gotten to the point where I simply refuse to test unless I know what they have to offer!! They could at least give you a ball park on that (as they know it going in).

clarification - steady eddie

[ In Reply To ..]
I would never suggest mentoring for free. I was talking about elders helping the newcomers within the company. They would be editing their work as part of their work.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word Mentor if it implies something for nothing.

I was trying to suggest an atmosphere where we could train American MT grads, thereby keeping an American source on the cutting edge. This would be training through editing. The newbie would review the corrected work so as to learn from the masters, so to speak. It would just be another report to edit, that's all I meant.

Is that not what QA is for? I guess I am confused. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
New MTs can send their work to QA if they cannot understand something. I am not seeing where this "oldie" editing reports thing is really something "new."

I think your idea was already thunk of! It's called QA. LOL - Nice try, though...

The other thing is that not all new MTs need an oldie to help them achieve greatness. I am an oldie and I highly doubt what I have known for 25 years would help a new MT in this day and age of BOS-2, or whatever other rules they feel compelled to change. I just type. I really could care less what new MTs do with their lives. That's on them. I am not really here to better any company. I'd rather be able to bid jobs without these companies underbidding me but that's just me. I am not looking to make any company richer. You can bet on that.

Also, maybe these companies do offer people that test well a higher cents per line. One never knows, do they?

my thoughts exactly...they proifess to be 'teachers' in another thread so...(nm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Are The Upgrades Complete?
Oct 17, 2009

If so, I don't understand why we can't see the messages posted in each forum...   All you see are the latest messages posted.   Just curious if this is the final form of the forums.   P.S.  It still says 'SWITH' on the post a new message screen. ...

Complete Mystery
Mar 25, 2010

I will never, never, never understand how all these doctors went through all those years of medical school and learned to be doctors but never learned to speak decent English.  I have been wondering this for 8 years, and probably always will.  I was led to believe medical school was not easy.  I was led to believe learning English IS easy.   Pretty soon I guess I will be led to believe that there really are orange and purple polka dotted elephants hiding under the baseme ...

With Whom Did You Complete Your MT Training?
Jul 01, 2010

To those of you who have completed a transcription course, who did you go through and why?  I don't know if this is too specific to ask here, but I did not see any rules against asking about the schooling.  I have been an MT for eight years, and received OTJ training, plus I have an extensive medical background prior to transcribing.  However, I have a friend who would like to complete a program, and while I have a few schools/programs in mind to refer her to, I would like to ...

SBE Or SVE Was Complete During Course Of Labor
Apr 14, 2013

nm ...

Complete Osseous Survey - SM
Nov 27, 2009

"There are multiple prominent s/l DASH UH DE GROOVES within the skull."  Brain cramp.  Help!  What in the world could this be?  Thanks! ...

Do Ya Think I'll Ever Have Enough Work To Complete A Shift
Aug 30, 2010

I want to work!  I want to earn a check.  Is that too much to ask? ...

Complete List Of OCPs
Jul 14, 2011

Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of oral contraceptive pills? ...

How Long To Complete 550 Lines?
Apr 17, 2014

The company I am testing with requires 550 lines per day for part time.  I know there are many factors, but on average how many hours does that take?  I currently work part time and get paid by the hour.   I have never been paid by the line.  I really like my current job, but may be laid off in June or July.   For now, I would do both jobs.  I also have two young children and don't want to take on too much.  Any info would be great! ...

Total And Complete Mismanagement
Nov 17, 2014

Have everyone work on the weekends so there's work come Monday morning. Spend entire days Monday through Friday, 10-16 hours per day, trying to get work, but only being clocked in for 6 to 8. But if you're anything higher than an MLS, you've got it made. You can adhere to your schedule AND have a life. I wish I could write how I really feel about these wage thieves. ...

Andrews Coding: Time To Complete?
Jun 30, 2013

One thing I haven't seen posted re: Andrews is a reasonable expectation of a timeframe for an experienced MT to complete their program.  What has been everybody's experience thus far? I realize we all have different home situations and some are pulled in more directions than others.  I work full-time.  Kids are no longer underfoot.  Not caring for parents as they are deceased already.  No yard to tend. I've found myself cornered into an untenab ...

Career Step - How Long It Took Some Of You To Complete The Program
Oct 21, 2009

I am currently enrolled in the Career Step program and I am wondering how long it took some of you to complete the program. I am a mother to 3 kiddos and I don't have time to work on it every single day. It seems a bit overwhelming if you look at all of the reports there are to transcribe. So, how long did it take for you to complete the program? Thanks, MT Mommy 2B ...

Fragment Versus Complete...having A Hard Time!
Oct 26, 2010

Cut made with a 15 blade into deep tissue. Is this fragment or complete? I am so confused. I would want to add a "was," but does it not having a "was" or "is" make it incomplete? I have been researching grammar, but I know sometimes medical fragment sentences tend to be acceptable. ...

Do I Take A Job With Transcend? Just Need To Complete The Dictation Portion Of The Test Sm
Nov 14, 2010

and they will offer me a job.  Is there work there?  I have no work with MQ and would like to find a different job.  Should I take it?  Just need more work and already working 2 jobs!  Thanks! ...

Silver's Gold (or Cold) Test? See Complete Sentence Below
Jan 28, 2014

He also has a positive silver's (or Sever's) gold (or cold) test on the right with increased dorsiflexion when his knee is in flexion.          The patient has Sever's disease.  Thanks. ...

Does The Term "pinfold Perforation" Make Sense? The Complete Sentence Is ...
Mar 29, 2010

The medial meniscus had a peripheral vertical tear with a "pinfold perforation" through the entirety of the meniscus. ...

Another One, S/l "good Volt Transthoracic Anti Data" SM For Complete Sentence.
Dec 15, 2013

attempts to cross the valve were not performed due to "good volt transthoracic anti data" demonstrating severe aortic valve stenosis.   Thanks! ...

S/L "Michael" Solution For Direct Immunofluorescence. SM For Complete Sentence.
Mar 04, 2010

A 3-mm punch biopsy was taken in two places; one sent in formalin for regular pathology and one sent in s/l "Michael" solution for direct immunofluoroscence.   Thanks! ...

"...have 12 Hour Window To Complete Your Daily Schedule."
Nov 25, 2012

This may sound like a good thing, like they're allowing flexibility with your shift, but the reality is that with frequent NJA, it'll take you 12 hours of hovering over your computer just to get 8 hours of pay. What a crock. ...

Hypertype Information - Any Information
Feb 19, 2011

Any information on Hypertype?  Good, bad, and ugly, pay scale, platform?  TIA.  I have passed the test which I took a little more than a week ago.  They want to set up a phone interview but I want to know upfront what current ICs think.  Are they flexible.  Do you have a schedule.  Saw through the archives that the pay is low but how low is low?  TIA. ...

FTP-any Information
Nov 27, 2009

If I eventually plan on working from home, should I invest in some kind of FTP (file transfer program)? If so, what kind should I get? There are so many out there, just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this. Thanks!! ...

Any New Information About TTS?
Mar 21, 2010

Hi, I am speaking with TTS about a job.  The thing that I am concerned about is they said in their introduction that, "Production time is tracked off the technology system and monitors the time you are actually in the document working (hands on the keyboard or foot on the pedal).  If you are idle in excess of 4 minutes the time stops tracking.  You must remain actively working.  If you are researching etc, give it 3 minutes." I am assuming this means that you if you get ...

MME Information Please!
Oct 16, 2010

I sent a report in, and when I got it back, they had taken out the #s that I did using the numbering feature in 6.1 and replaced them with numbers. Is there a reason for this? ...

Anyone Information On TTS
May 07, 2011

Anyone information on TTS I would love to hear anything, good or bad.  I was recently offered 9 cpl and 4.5 VR/SR.. Including spacing and headers/footers....thought this was pretty darn good these days. I am waiting to set up start date and new hire paperwork.. This is TTS New Hampshire. Transcription, Technology, Solutions.  please reply. ...

Anyone Have Information On TTS?
May 08, 2015

Anyone have information on TTS? They have several positions available, wondering if it would be something worth looking into... ...

Transportal - Anyone Have Information
Oct 14, 2009

Does anyone have information regarding this company, i.e., platform, flexibility in working time (no schedule?), anything you care to add, good or bad would be appreciated.  Thanks. ...

Fastchart - Looking For Information
Oct 22, 2009

Anyone work for Fastchart???  Looking for information before I dive in. ...

Help..someone With Information On Focus!
Dec 03, 2009

Could someone give me the dirt on Focus?  Hours, work, supervisors, QA, workload>  Thanks in advance!... ...

Information On Spectramedi?
Jan 08, 2010

Does anyone have any information on Spectramedi? What they pay and what kind of company they are to work for? Thanks. ...

Keystrokes Any Information?
Jan 11, 2010

I'm trying to find out some information about Keystrokes and Transcend, mostly Keystrokes.  Do they have a tiering system for their MTs?  If not, how do they classify you?  Do different accounts pay differently?  Also, how are the advancement opportunities there?  Thank you, thank you, and thank you again....(:D) ...

Anyone Have Information On STAR Med? (SM)
Jan 13, 2010

Anyone else apply for this position and not hear back from them?  TIA!! ...