A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Complete mystery - Badcat

Posted: Mar 25, 2010

I will never, never, never understand how all these doctors went through all those years of medical school and learned to be doctors but never learned to speak decent English.  I have been wondering this for 8 years, and probably always will.  I was led to believe medical school was not easy.  I was led to believe learning English IS easy.   Pretty soon I guess I will be led to believe that there really are orange and purple polka dotted elephants hiding under the basement stairs, too.

ESLs - oldone

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm with you in wondering how they finish medical school but cannot speak English. However, English is considered a very very hard language to learn. There are so many words that sound alike but are spelled differently, there is a lot of slang, etc.

However, just HOW TO THEY get out of school without some knowledge of English. Some days I feel like a first grade teacher correcting grammar. It slows me down. It has gotten old. I started out 37 years ago and never even heard a foreign accent for the first 10 years I worked. Now I have 1 account with about 95% ESLs. English should be a requirement definitely.

You are very mistaken: English is one of the easiest - you are mistaken

[ In Reply To ..]
languages, also the grammar is one of the, if not the easiest one.

All nouns are written in lower letters, there is only 1 article, namely "the", etc...

Other languages have 3 different articles, nouns are capitalized, sometimes also verbs are capitalized when used as nouns, etc.....

In the English language nouns have only 2 cases, the nominative and the possessive genitiv, in other languages there are 4-6 cases that change the noun.

And much more.......

French, German, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, these are difficult languages, but English, not.

Japanese is undoubtedly the most - difficult . . . .

[ In Reply To ..]
For all the reasons you stated.

It is a very very difficult language to learn to speak. Forget about learning to read or write it . . .

Hindi is the same way mainly because there are so many different dialects, I think in the thousands . . . .
very true, Chinese and Japanese are "picture" languages - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
In Arabic only the long vowels are written.
The short vowels one must guess, if one is learning the language.

That meams that one can only read the word if one knows it already. Therefore it is very difficult for foreigner to learn it.

Children in school read the Koran that contains also the signs for the short vowels, that's the way the children learn.

English Language - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not defending horrible dictators, but where did you ever hear that English was an easy language to learn if it's the second language? The English language is comprised of several languages, making it one of the hardest to learn. The rules are quite confusing, actually--enough is pronounced like fluff, but though is prounced with the long "O" sound.

Little children who are brought (another ough pronounciation) with 2 languages do well, however.

English compared to others - Badcat

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a few friends from other countries, and I've been teaching them English and they're trying to teach me their languages in return. They all have told me that they find English easy, at least they are learning English faster than I am learning Japanese, French and German. Maybe it's just me.. but what my post really centered on is the fact that medical school is quite complicated, and I would have thought if these doctors could graduate medical school, they could learn to speak English more clearly.

True, and no, It's not you, English is one of the easiest languages - languages

[ In Reply To ..]
especially the grammar.

It's the accent that makes them so difficult to understand. I think the German accent is easiest to understand. The Germans speak rather clearly, though not smoothly. Also, their grammar is good.

Arnie is Austrian and if Arnie speaks English, one can hear his Austrian accent coming through.

It's so funny when they make jokes about Arnie's accent and when he speaks, they put the undertitles to make sure that we understand.

He speaks English well, but he never did and never will get rid of his accent.

It is obvious that you never learned a 2nd language - omg

[ In Reply To ..]
if yuo think that English is a difficult language.
It is 1 of the easiest one, also the grammar.

Every person who speaks a 2nd language will tell you this.

Which language did you take in high schools? Didn't you notice this?

English language - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
I have heard that the English language was one of the hardest to learn because of all the "ifs, ands, and buts." I think people with ESL should have to take a class in dictation and not pass until several MTs can type his/her reports with no blanks. I know there are a couple of them that make my life miserable, and no matter how many samples I read, I just cannot understand one whole sentence.

Also mix up he and she all the way through - Bunion

[ In Reply To ..]
My nephew who, God bless him, is getting into this &%%^( profession. He told me ESL's mix up the he's and she's and transpose the names. He was taught that and I said a big "YEP." With all the weird names "they" are naming kids, who is who, and what is what. haha Give up, unless you get a clue with a GU: exam. Crazy, I say, crazy.

ROFL: English is difficult because of the "ifs, ands, and buts." - lol

[ In Reply To ..]
Is this a joke?

Don't you think that all languages have
"ifs, ands, and buts."

Or do you mean "butts?"

Hahaha! You can't be serious.

ESL - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I read that they are not AMA board certified. They are MD in their native country and working here in USA on a work visa. Didn't check it out any further than that though.

Did you see part of the immigration requirements? - Bunion

[ In Reply To ..]
Pay all back taxes due and speak proficient English. hahaa Yea right. That is going to happen in my lifetime.

what you are talking about is part of the requirements - excuse me

[ In Reply To ..]
for becoming a US citizen, not an immigrant.

An immigrant cannot pay back taxes, since he did not even start working, and he does not have to speak a single English word to qualify as an immigrant.

I wished people would do some research before posting.

the real problem is their accent. This is also a reason, - point and click EMR

[ In Reply To ..]
among many, that EMR - point and click -was invented.

All our nagging and complaining will only speed up the research and invention for newer and better documentation, making us, the US MTs more and more obsolete.

You ask for it, stop complaining.

Calm down - Badcat

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, now, my post was just me venting, I had no intention of starting a massive argument with this. Everyone please calm down, okay? I was just needing to blow off a little steam

Similar Messages:

Tis A Mystery To Me
Dec 23, 2014

My account is fairly new but is over-staffed and it appears will continue to be as it seems they have even more new people on it.  There are new names showing up asking questions about their non-DSP status.  Yet, there is no work.  If I am asked to move accounts again, I will most likely be turning in my 2-week notice as I have had all I can take. ...

What's The Big Mystery When You Ask About Pay And Platform?
Dec 13, 2011

Can't a person ask a question of these companies without getting the bum's rush?  (No reply.)  Must be the pay stinks and the platform clunkier than clogs on a wood floor.  ...

Footpedal Mystery, Ideas Anyone?
Dec 09, 2011

I need to work in bed for a few weeks due to a leg injury. Does anyone have any ideas so I can use my footpedal?  I have been trying to think of something to use besides pillows to hold it in place at the right angle but I'm not having much luck.  Figured one of my brilliant peers would have ideas!! ...

Turnaround Time Transcription - Mystery
May 14, 2015

I have never had this difficult a time researching a transcription company as this one.  They are the great unknown.  Even on this forum no-one knows anything about them.  I congratulate them for knowng how to keep themselves off the radar, but it makes me suspicious of them.  I remember reading about them a while back, and that you can work at home but you wind up making around $9 an hour.  If anyone has current information about them from 2015, please post it.  Pe ...

Are The Upgrades Complete?
Oct 17, 2009

If so, I don't understand why we can't see the messages posted in each forum...   All you see are the latest messages posted.   Just curious if this is the final form of the forums.   P.S.  It still says 'SWITH' on the post a new message screen. ...

With Whom Did You Complete Your MT Training?
Jul 01, 2010

To those of you who have completed a transcription course, who did you go through and why?  I don't know if this is too specific to ask here, but I did not see any rules against asking about the schooling.  I have been an MT for eight years, and received OTJ training, plus I have an extensive medical background prior to transcribing.  However, I have a friend who would like to complete a program, and while I have a few schools/programs in mind to refer her to, I would like to ...

Complete Information In Job Ads
Sep 22, 2010

It would be helpful and save time on both ends and lots of paperwork and hemming and hawing if the line rate, hours, bennies, requirements, etc., were given with each ad (I know some do this already)  and then people could apply with that knowledge in hand and present themselves accordingly.  The correct applicant would be applying for the correct job.  Win/win.  I mean, what's the big secret?  Since we are all lumped together no matter how many years of experi ...

SBE Or SVE Was Complete During Course Of Labor
Apr 14, 2013

nm ...

Complete Osseous Survey - SM
Nov 27, 2009

"There are multiple prominent s/l DASH UH DE GROOVES within the skull."  Brain cramp.  Help!  What in the world could this be?  Thanks! ...

Do Ya Think I'll Ever Have Enough Work To Complete A Shift
Aug 30, 2010

I want to work!  I want to earn a check.  Is that too much to ask? ...

Complete List Of OCPs
Jul 14, 2011

Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of oral contraceptive pills? ...

How Long To Complete 550 Lines?
Apr 17, 2014

The company I am testing with requires 550 lines per day for part time.  I know there are many factors, but on average how many hours does that take?  I currently work part time and get paid by the hour.   I have never been paid by the line.  I really like my current job, but may be laid off in June or July.   For now, I would do both jobs.  I also have two young children and don't want to take on too much.  Any info would be great! ...

Total And Complete Mismanagement
Nov 17, 2014

Have everyone work on the weekends so there's work come Monday morning. Spend entire days Monday through Friday, 10-16 hours per day, trying to get work, but only being clocked in for 6 to 8. But if you're anything higher than an MLS, you've got it made. You can adhere to your schedule AND have a life. I wish I could write how I really feel about these wage thieves. ...

Andrews Coding: Time To Complete?
Jun 30, 2013

One thing I haven't seen posted re: Andrews is a reasonable expectation of a timeframe for an experienced MT to complete their program.  What has been everybody's experience thus far? I realize we all have different home situations and some are pulled in more directions than others.  I work full-time.  Kids are no longer underfoot.  Not caring for parents as they are deceased already.  No yard to tend. I've found myself cornered into an untenab ...

Career Step - How Long It Took Some Of You To Complete The Program
Oct 21, 2009

I am currently enrolled in the Career Step program and I am wondering how long it took some of you to complete the program. I am a mother to 3 kiddos and I don't have time to work on it every single day. It seems a bit overwhelming if you look at all of the reports there are to transcribe. So, how long did it take for you to complete the program? Thanks, MT Mommy 2B ...

Fragment Versus Complete...having A Hard Time!
Oct 26, 2010

Cut made with a 15 blade into deep tissue. Is this fragment or complete? I am so confused. I would want to add a "was," but does it not having a "was" or "is" make it incomplete? I have been researching grammar, but I know sometimes medical fragment sentences tend to be acceptable. ...

Do I Take A Job With Transcend? Just Need To Complete The Dictation Portion Of The Test Sm
Nov 14, 2010

and they will offer me a job.  Is there work there?  I have no work with MQ and would like to find a different job.  Should I take it?  Just need more work and already working 2 jobs!  Thanks! ...

Silver's Gold (or Cold) Test? See Complete Sentence Below
Jan 28, 2014

He also has a positive silver's (or Sever's) gold (or cold) test on the right with increased dorsiflexion when his knee is in flexion.          The patient has Sever's disease.  Thanks. ...

Does The Term "pinfold Perforation" Make Sense? The Complete Sentence Is ...
Mar 29, 2010

The medial meniscus had a peripheral vertical tear with a "pinfold perforation" through the entirety of the meniscus. ...

Another One, S/l "good Volt Transthoracic Anti Data" SM For Complete Sentence.
Dec 15, 2013

attempts to cross the valve were not performed due to "good volt transthoracic anti data" demonstrating severe aortic valve stenosis.   Thanks! ...

S/L "Michael" Solution For Direct Immunofluorescence. SM For Complete Sentence.
Mar 04, 2010

A 3-mm punch biopsy was taken in two places; one sent in formalin for regular pathology and one sent in s/l "Michael" solution for direct immunofluoroscence.   Thanks! ...

"...have 12 Hour Window To Complete Your Daily Schedule."
Nov 25, 2012

This may sound like a good thing, like they're allowing flexibility with your shift, but the reality is that with frequent NJA, it'll take you 12 hours of hovering over your computer just to get 8 hours of pay. What a crock. ...