A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I wrote to the USMLE exam people today and asked a - question:

Posted: Jul 18, 2013

Namely, why US hospitals are being turned into Towers of Babel because there is no SPOKEN English testing of foreign physicians.   As it is, they only need to be able to read/write English sufficiently well to take the exam, which is a very different thing entirely from being able to speak English.

It's passing strange to me that when I'm doing the most difficult work that I do with some of the most abysmal dictators that I deal with, who cannot string 3 English words together intelligibly, and who require the most experience and expertise in order to divine what they're saying and untangle their messes, I get paid the LEAST because of the extra time that it takes to derive some semblance of a medical document that isn't utterly ridiculous.  The enormous influx of these physicians is one very good reason that MTs should be paid an hourly wage or a salary - and not by production.

I'll report back on the reply to my query, if any.  I'm not holding my breath.

where I work.... s/m - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
We have a doctor that is so bad and everyone complained so much (or just kept sending his work back into the pool) that we now get an extra penny per line to type his reports. Wow! Big whoop! After spending half an hour on a 3-minute report, that extra 20 cents really does make all the difference, let me tell ya!

Wow - a penny! Watch out for those mooring fees... - when you get your yacht.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

foreign dictators - jac

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree there is a huge problem with the extreme difficulty of much of the foreign dictators. It only takes a couple of them doing multiple reports in a day to ruin my life and make me sit there in extreme anger and unhappiness, although I do try hard to do my part. Some foreign dictators do a beautiful job, especially the women (in my experience) because they seem to talk slower. Once I calm down and give them a try, they aren't so bad. But, then I get another really awful one. I have 32 years of experience, am a CMT and have been a QA editor too. Consequently, when I get a new job, they always try to put me on the most awful account they have. Once I see this and start groaning and moaning and making "NO" money at all, they have the nerve to ask why I am so slow. Gee, I can't imagine why. Would you like to do this stuff yourself? I have requested on several jobs that they either switch me to part-time (maybe I can tolerate that better) or to give me another primary account. They always give me a hard time, but I just tell them that I never agreed to work on an account with 80% foreign dictators and even though I am pretty good at my job that I just can't bear the grief that goes along with that work. They always cave in rather than lose a CMT - fortunately. Ultimately, I ended up quitting several jobs because they would put me on a different account that was also in the "worst" category. I am still hoping to find somewhere where I can get the good old-fashioned fun jobs --but then I found out that if your supervisors also are required to transcribe that they simply assign themselves the fun stuff and I have had a couple of them lie to me about what they were doing. If you know the system or have access, you can go in and check who did the work. I finally got fed up and quit that one too. In the old days, I worked for years and years at the same place. I long for that and also hope for a turnaround in the MT business, as I have just partially retired at 62, but still need to work until 70 to increase my Social Security income to the highest amount (there is limit on your earnings this year of $15,120). I will hang in there.

This field is so backwards - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
What other field can you be at the top of your game and not get financially rewarded for it? Instead, in MT the opposite occurs: The better you are at your job, the harder your accounts are, and therefore the less money you make because the technically difficult work takes longer and is more tedious.

Similar Messages:

Asked To Work Extra So People In India Who Take Our Jobs
Oct 19, 2014

Some gall, huh?!? I'm thinking what?  I have to work holidays when they fall on my regular scheduled days. Nope - nothing wrong with this picture.  Nothing at all.   ...

My Husband Asked Me If The People Who Came Up With This New Pay Plan Were Smoking Crack. Sm
Dec 03, 2014

I had to laugh through my disgust. ...

I Met A Man And His Wife Today. They Asked Me What I Did For
Apr 10, 2010

a living.  When I told them medical transcription, the man said he owned a court reporting business, and he could set me up with Indian transcriptionists.  I could e-mail them my work, and they would sent back letter perfect reports.  They charge a much cheaper rate, and I could keep the difference.  After I wiped up the mess from spitting out my Coke, I politely informed him that I did not believe in offshoring.  ...

Looks Like I Won't Be Working Again Today. I Was Asked Last Year (sm)
Jan 25, 2013

to change my Friday hours to later in the morning because that is when my accts had more work.  Yeah, right.  I seem to be getting the little work that I do get in the early morning hours and then the work dries up.  I just went to sign on an hour ago and nothing AGAIN.  I can't work tonight and I can't work after my normal shift tomorrow, which by the way I have run out of work the past few Saturdays which never ever used to happen not even during the holidays!!&nb ...

Many CCM, QC And Tech People Let Go Today. Guess They
Oct 08, 2012

x ...

Hey People, Great Job Today 'disliking'
Jan 19, 2015

'jobs' on the board these past few days who deserve same. We 'hear' you, and we believe you! Thanks for sparing the unsuspecting the hassle and horror of some of these places... Keep up the good work. It's all we can do to help ourselves and each other until something happens, and we all receive once again the respect, dignity and salaries we deserve. IMO, I would say if you see 3 or more 'dislikes' on a job posted on Seeker's, RFYL! Sincerely, ...

CMT Exam - How Many Questions Are Asked In Part I (theory) And Part II
Jul 28, 2010

I am planning to take my CMT exams in a couple of months. A couple of queries - How many questions are asked in part I (theory) and part II (transcription performance)? What is the passing grade? Any information will be helpful. Thanks! ...

Assistmed People - Get Your Direct Deposit Today?
Sep 25, 2012

For anybody that works for Assistmed, did you get your direct deposit?  Mine always, always hits my bank between 12:30 a.m. and 12:45 a.m., except this time of course, when it's critical. TIA! ...

I Scheduled The CCS Exam Today
Sep 19, 2013

I know this exam is extremely difficult but I am going to attempt it. I already took and passed the CPC, but I understand the CCS is even  harder. Do any of you coders have any advice? Thanks! ...

Today's HEENT Exam Funny
Sep 12, 2010

Dictated: Eyes: Extraocular muscles intact.  He has bilateral Marcus Aurelius.  Tympanic membranes are okay. Transcribed:  Eyes:  Extraocular muscles intact.  He has bilateral arcus senilis.  Tympanic membranes are okay. first time a Roman empirer has made an appearance in my transcription! This was not even VR! ...

Help. On Neck Exam, No (s/l Sturgor) Or Stridor. I'm Fried Today!!
Sep 08, 2011

.. ...

Low Work At TTS. Asked Not To Work Today.
Jun 09, 2011

So sick of them overstaffing accounts and then insult current TTS MTs by recruiting.  What kind of game are they playing?  ...

.......And That's All She Wrote Folks!!!!
Mar 10, 2014

After a buy-out, pay cuts, more pay cuts, lies, PTO that never gets approved, mandatory overtime, working 7 days a week, empty accounts, and finally an accuracy rate of 99.6% (soon to be 99.7%).... many tears, sleepless nights, worrying, and making myself sick - I finally have made the move.... and I'm outta here!!!!!!   And with the new CEO letter that came out today... perfect timing!!   I wish you all well if you stick it out with this miserable company.  I hope ...

Got Out And Wrote A Book!
May 19, 2015

Hi everyone! I had to come here to share the good news.  I've been an MT for 19 years and just got out last November.  I was really getting tired of the way the industry was going, and wrote when the work was slow to none.  I've finally made my dream come true and published on Amazon just today! I hope you don't mind me coming here and sharing this. If I can do this, so can you!  Self-publishing on Kindle Direct Publishing is easy when you follow their guide ...

Here's What I Just Wrote To My Gubernatorial Candidate
Apr 06, 2010

I just wrote Meg Whitman, gubernatorial candidate in California, this letter.   Meg:   As another full-time working woman, please let me ask for your help.    I am only one of thousands of highly trained and experienced American medical transcriptionists being exploited by our company, Medquist, the largest employer of medical transcriptionists.  We are not unionized and so are suffering the relentless, unattainable demands of our employer, and if not met, we are f ...

Wrote My Senators, Congressman, AND The President
Jun 15, 2010

Well, we will see what kind of response I get back.  I'm not expecting much, but I thought it was high time i did my part in contacting my representatives and the White House about the sad state of OUR union :) ...

In General Section Of Exam: He Is Here Today With "blin Or Blend" Support Personnel
Oct 31, 2013

Insulin-dependent diabetes. Heart attack. ESRD on HD on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. History of bilateral BKA secondary to diabetes. Pulmonary hypertension. CHF. ...

Patient Wrote This On His Chart - Grispang For Ringworm. ?? I Looked On Google And Unless I'm
Dec 14, 2009

x ...

Can't Find Word Doctor Even Wrote It Out Pancreatobiliary Tract??? Ever Heard Of This??
Jun 04, 2010

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

AIIMS Exam Or AMES Exam
Sep 15, 2011

Doing a report for a counseling and recovery center. Dr. says.... AIIMS exam showed mild involuntary movement of upper extremities and t____ assessment. Is it AIMS exam or Ames exam. I am also unsure of the blank, it sounds like it starts with the letter T. Thank you Thank you in advance! ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

Email Working Today? Silent Today.
Feb 25, 2015

By this time in the day, usually, there has been at least 7 emails - several from QA, at least 2-3 backlog updates, and 1 reminder to work our shift and work our entire shift. ...

This Has Probably Been Asked Before, But...
Jun 19, 2013

What would you do if you worked for Nuance and was offered a job to start immediately with another company?  Would you have to give 2 weeks' notice and possible lose the job offer? ...

Been Asked To Tier Up
Feb 25, 2010

Good? Bad? Should I run screaming for the hills? ...

I Am Sure That This Question Has Been Asked But .... (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

I am looking to buy a new computer and cannot decide between a desktop or a laptop.  Which do you prefer and why?  I love the idea of not being confined to my desk with the laptop but afraid that it will not "hold up" like a desktop in the long run. Thanks so much for your replies! ...

Below I Asked A Question About What
Sep 23, 2010

Max House or Health PFC KA system for a knee replacement.  In case anyone is interested, the QA response was MAX-HEALTH PS TKA system.  However, I tried to verify this for myself on google, but I could not.  QA must have a better reference library than I do.  FYI. ...

Has It Become A Given That We Are Asked To Work OT W/o OT Pay?
Nov 10, 2010

Evidently it is an unwritten rule at my company that when you are asked to work hours outside of your shift, or over 40 hours, it is a given that you are to do so with no extra pay.  Should I bring it up?  Am I the only one? We all work 40 hours on my account, some nights, and some weekends.  Always have.  Now the AM is e mailing on the weekend asking us to get on there and get caught up.  Extra money is never mentioned - never paid, although if more than 40 hours is on ...

Someone Asked Me If There Is Work Out There
Dec 08, 2011

I ran into a former co-worker.  She asked what I was doing and I told her I am doing medical transcription from home.  She said her daughter is taking an online course in MT but it is slow going.  She asked me a few questions about the field.  Mainly she wanted to know if there is work out there.  I didn't want to be negative so I said yes, there's work out there, even though in my heart I know her daughter is going to have a tough time getting work.  At l ...