A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What percentage of dictators can achieve 99% accuracy using VR? - Rose

Posted: Nov 24, 2013

On the account I work I'd say only about one dictator in 20 can achieve 99% accuracy with VR without editing.   This doesn't surprise me in the least. We could have told the developers this 20 years ago, but money talks. 

For the doctors forced to use VR, will the errors be acceptable to them?  To the big wigs at the hospitals?  

I think it is according to what platform you use - using mine is almost 100%

[ In Reply To ..]
accurate. There are no doctors as far as I know who cannot use the system from the hospital and it does just as well with the ESLs as with your American doctors. Except for the newest ones coming on, I am very pleased with the platform I use, like lots better than straight typing.

Just curious - what platform is it? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
and how many accounts do you have as primaries?

Ediscript and only 1 primary and that is because - only wanted one

[ In Reply To ..]
did not want to learn these rules for 5 different places, too much for me. This is a hospital account, have probably 200, 300 or more doctors who can and do dictate, acute care is what I work on. I have ran out of work before but mostly have plenty to keep me busy and where I work seems like always asking us to work extra, again something I very seldom do.
Thanks for the details. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I once had a great VR account too with minimal editing. Same thing - one account with 500 physicians. It was so nice. We had open communication with the doctors and able to give MT feedback on training the system. I averaged 450-500 lph on it. No nitpicky QA, no BOS 'rules' - just typed what the dictator said - and had standardized formatting. I miss those days. Now I work for a major national and have 20+ accounts all over the country with pages and pages of rules and client specs.

Now I have a question for you - Retyping?

[ In Reply To ..]
Where you work, if the VR puts out a bad report, lots of editing, are you allowed to delete and just retype that report over?

I've never asked but I don't think it would be a problem (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't do that because I have severe carpal tunnel. Still on most editing my hands are constantly moving, just slower than transcribing since we can only edit as fast as they talk, so it's a relief for the carpal tunnel.

If depends on how it is set up - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When the system tries to learn a bunch of doctors and MTs change things differently, the accuracy stays low.

Also, with the type of system you have, the dictation is not transcribed for the doctor in real time. It goes out of the facility, goes through an MTSO, gets returned, and the doctor does not get any feedback on the problems the system has with him. He just gets a report to sign. Nothing gets better because the underlying problem never gets corrected.

However, front-end systems DO NOT leave the doctor's sight. They produce the report right in front of him. The doctor can see and correct himself. They train the system, but they also train themselves.

Since the report does not go an MT, no confusing changes untrain the system. It learns him and him alone.

There are also advantages for the doctor. He has a report immediately, not the next day. He does not need to go back into the record to sign it.

Believe it or not, doctors are not stupid. They CAN write. They just couldn't type. They can see and correct errors in their VR. A lot of them really like it.

A lot of them are very computer oriented now, too. The young ones grew up using a keyboard. That is how they have been writing since kindergarten. They do not have a problem typing notes. They also create templates quite naturally.

MTs have an inflated view of the seriousness of typos and grammar errors. The reports you transcribe are not the only thing in the record. No one makes major decisions based on them. (Please don't cite that death due to the nurse using a discharge summary, because she was not supposed to use it.)

It is NOT the MT that... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
has an "inflated view of the seriousness of typos and grammar errors." It's these MTSOs who think the BOS is a bible and QA who grade like robots with no common sense.

It make no sense for MTSOs and QA to tear apart documents looking for inconsequential errors that the actual dictator would laugh at. Since when is their "grade" more important than what the doctor would consider an error? It's come to the point where we are solely responsible to catch every single error the dictator makes and every error VR makes (yet heaven forbid WE make an error). Meanwhile, the client specs we have to memorize are more complicated, we are told to type faster and produce more, yet at the same time make no errors in such a stressful environment, and are expected to keep this level of concentration up for hours at a time being monitored by "productivity software". All for pay that decreases every year. Insane.

Similar Messages:

Your Dictators % Accuracy?
Jul 01, 2013

I just checked the accuracy of one of our best ESL dictators after editing.  He has 28% accuracy.  Total words: 350.  Total errors: 64 (words and punctuation).  This was a full page of report. I wonder what the average accuracy is for your dictators?  How low a figure will they settle for allowing in the patient records? ...

What Percentage Of Your Dictators Enter All Demographics Needed?
May 18, 2014

. ...

S/l Achieve His Fonet
Dec 31, 2011

I cannot understand this foreign dictator! The report is about a 58-year-old morbidly obese man who was admitted with swelling and redness of the leg. He was found to be in mild congestive heart failure.  He was put on IV Unasyn to s/l achieve his fonet to resolve the redness in his right lower leg, and the foot had resolved and the pain has improved.  Any help with this would be appreciated! Thank you! ...

Bonus Really Really Hard To Achieve
Jan 12, 2013

Makes no sense to put us in the cesspool when our primary is backed up as high as Jack & the Beanstalk.  "Magic Beans" is the only bonus I get  ...

NY Suggestion So All MTs Here Achieve Satisfaction In 2011
Jan 02, 2011

It's very simple and I am very serious: 1.  If you are unhappy with how the MT career is changing, unhappy with the new pay (it won't go back up, folks, only down further), unhappy with changes in technolog, etc.:   Do something THIS YEAR to get out of MT work completely.  Don't feel you can venture too far from it?  Do something like coding/billing.  Want to stay in the medical world?  How about LPN or RN?  Dental Hygienist?  HR speci ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

Percentage Sent To QA
Jun 27, 2012

I sent in 10% to QA last month due to difficult dictators.  There were a couple of days where I had some really bad dictations and maybe sent in 4 reports on that day.  Other days I didn't send any reports to QA.  The company has always told us if we are not 100% sure of the word to leave it blank.  Now I am being penalized for taking this advice.  I have been put on notice that they will let me go if I continue to go over 8%.  Does this seem unreasonable? &nbs ...

QC Percentage
Feb 27, 2013

Can anyone tell me what QC percentage means on our time card and what it has to be in order to get our weekly bonus?  Thank you! ...

How Many Lph Could One Achieve Performing "echo Transcription"?
Nov 22, 2011

hello, i am grateful to have obtained an IC position with a reputable MTSO which wants me to do "echo transcription" for them (part or all of the time).  i would be using Dragon most likely.  a long time ago on mtdaily.com i read about an MT achieving 250 lph doing echo transcription, but i thought i read here on mtstars.com (or elsewhere) that it's possible to achieve 400 lph--or more--once you "get in the groove"? could we start a conversation about this?  any and all i ...

Percentage Question
Feb 18, 2011

dictated one-tenth percent - would you type .1%?  This seems odd to me.   TIA.  ...

What Percentage Of Proscript Is VR?
Sep 14, 2013

AND, are you able to make money?  How expensive is the insurance and how are the supervisors?  Thank you. ...

Now Besides Just Getting Our QA Percentage Marked Off,
Nov 30, 2014

our pay will be docked because we may leave out "a" or something along that line or not place a comma where they believe it should be.  Before it just affected our bonuses but not our actual pay that we get.  Now our pay will be deducted for every error that they deem that we make!!!  That doesn't even seem legal.  Even if you work at McDonalds and make a mistake they don't cut your pay and don't give me the crap about affecting patient safety.  Bull crap! ...

Percentage Of Lines To QA?
Jan 21, 2015

When we first started this new compensation plan, I remember the magic line percentage for QA was 2%... but was that NO MORE than 2% gets post-audited, or AT LEAST 2% gets post-audited?   Just realized I have over 200 lines already post-audited for the week, but I have only transcribed 6500 lines so far, and 2% of that would be 130.   ...

Is There A Way To Keep Track Of Percentage Being Sent To QC?
Mar 06, 2015

I never know where I stand until after the fact. Do any of you know how to keep track of this? The nonsense just keeps increasing and increasing. ...

Why Are We Being Penalized For QC Percentage Over 10%?!
Apr 27, 2015

This past pay period because my QC percentage was over 10% both weeks I calculated lost wages of almost $400.  The first week my quality was 100%, the second 99.7%.  The second week my QC percent was just a hair over 10%, but I of course ended up on the bottom of the pay grid, a difference of $150 for the week.  I don't send reports to QC because I'm lazy.  Why should we continue to get penalized for bad dictators, unknown names/business entities on new accounts, et ...

Audit Percentage.
Jun 03, 2015

Does anyone remember what they had said the percentage of audit should be each week? I know I have only had 1 job audited each week for the past 3 weeks. Which of course means 1 mistake and I'm under 99%. Anyone? Thanks. ...

What Is The Percentage Of A Passing Audit? Is It 96 Or 98? NM
Nov 24, 2010

NM ...

Quick Poll - QA Percentage Requirements
Jan 23, 2012

Is industry standard now a requirement of 99% accuracy for the usual employee review to maintain employment or (heaven forbid) achieve a bonus? 97%, 98%, or 99%.  Just curious. ...

Editors: What Percentage Of Your Time Is Not Compensated?
Apr 29, 2013

Trying to determine the norm for providing free work. I spend more time fixing dictator's demographic errors demographic errors and searching for data that should have been dictated than I do editing. I'm just wondering if other editors just note these problems for QA to deal with or are you also working pretty much for free? Anyone been fired for refusing to work for free? ...

Question About QA Percentage And Line Rate
Aug 08, 2014

actually make sense or work. If you do lose the 0.03 cpl, don't they have to make sure you are paid min wage per hour. Wouldn't they then have to supplement you? What sense does this policy make then? ...

Trending And Correction Report Percentage
Oct 26, 2014

Has anyone figured out how the h____ this new trending and correction report percentage is working on Fiesa. Are they cherry picking the most difficult doctors to audit and skipping over the physicians that would balance the percentage score. That thing is so skewed, I cannot figure out for the life of me what it is suppose to reveal. It is totally biased against the MLS from what I can understand. ...

What Percentage Of Your MQ Work Is ASR And Would You Be Making More If You Straight Typed It?
Oct 19, 2009

x ...

Blood Alcohol Was 0.403 Which Is 3 100ths (3 Hundreths) Of A Percentage
Jul 03, 2010

blood alcohol was 0.403 which is 3 100ths (3 hundreths) of a percentage over what they will take.  Help! I am stumped! ...

If An Audit Slams You For An Error Counted As 0.25, How Is The Percentage 97.88%?
Mar 18, 2010

I am confused.  ...

Beginning April 1 The Percentage Score Goes From 99.6 To 99.7, Just Got The Email. NM
Mar 20, 2014

NM ...

98% Accuracy
Sep 30, 2011

I find it ironic that ad after ad on the job boards here and others on those pathetic Indian websites that go on and on about wanting only the best, blah, blah, and 98% accuracy, when their are typos throughout their ads, and we pay beggar wages to boot! ...

Just Under 99% Accuracy
Oct 24, 2012

I've made lots of 100% accuracy scores, but I just saw that I made a 3.0 Critical error on a VR dictation at Nuance.  It was where the doctor said a medication amt that sounded very much like another amount.  I have been extremely careful with the medication amounts and the laboratory values, but made this mistake!!   Anyway, that brought my accuracy to just under 99%.  I want to go back and listen to that dictation again, bet it was hard to tell the difference in t ...

99.6 Accuracy?
Jun 06, 2013

I just heard that Mmodal is requiring 99.6?  Just blinked my eyes a couple times.  This can't be true, right? ...

99% Accuracy
Sep 04, 2013

With Nuance's high standards and QA picking apart every report, I am feeling pretty down on myself.  I question my ability to do my job.  I question every comma, every word, and dread waking up to this job for fear of making mistakes.  It isn't a good feeling.  I have been in this field since 1992 and have never felt so incompetent and stupid. ...

99.7% Accuracy
Mar 29, 2014

99.7% accuracy when told to a recent business school graduate. Sure 99.7% accuracy is what they strive for in production of goods in a factory..To try for 99.7% accuracy in a job that has as many variables as transcription is a completely unrealistic goal. Speech patterns alone of different people makes errors almost inevitable. What they are striving for is an impossible goal. Hum, wonder who is running the company because this is from a 22 year old ...