A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Updated my resume, now what? - calmwhisper

Posted: Sep 21, 2014

It looks good and I am so proud of what I have accomplished in my ____ years of employment, but I am not sure where to look.  Any suggestions?  Wanting to expand past MT.  Thanks.

Looking for work - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, you've taken the first step by preparing your resume.

I'll be leaving MTing in 2 weeks and can't wait. Here's what I did: I checked the website of every company I was interested in working for and checked their websites weekly. Most job postings are on the internet; my local paper was useless. After months of looking, a job was listed that I knew I was qualified for, and I was aggressive about pursuing it.

You might check your wardrobe and make sure you have something smart to wear to an interview, and work on answers to difficult questions you can anticipate (e.g., "Is working at home a REAL job?")

I personally have always enjoyed interviewing. Remember that the interviewer may be more awkward than you are, so try to set him/her at ease by being friendly, approachable, and open!

Find - Samantha

[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree with the post above. I think too, in my search its been hard for potential employers to understand the whole production pay by the line, so I've translated to approximately how much per hour I make plus any bonus pay.

Good luck!

Tailor the resume to fit - each employer

[ In Reply To ..]
Job-hunting today is a matter of selling yourself. You have to show the employer that you have the qualities and skills they are looking for. It is a lot easier to do this if you tailor your resume and cover letter to each job, and that is what employment experts recommend.

Now that you have an updated resume, it will be easier to do this for each job.

This is especially important if you are looking for a non-MT job. Most employers are not going to understand what MT entails or how those skills translate into his needs -- you have to tell him. In other words, instead of having one resume that tells your employment history from your perspective ("this is me"), you want a resume that says "let me show you how I have what you need."

Each employer may have hundreds of applications for each job. They weed them out with the resume, so your resume needs to count.

They may use software to screen resumes. That software will not see that you qualify unless you use the exact words in the job announcement in describing your skills.

when wasn't job hunting a matter of selling yourself? - never. To OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Now that the resume is done, in answer to your question, the next step would be to google 'FIND JOBS' which will bring up every job ad site on the internet. Nationswide, in your area, gov't jobs, etc.

Most sites have the same listings. By reading them daily, you'll becomes familiar weed it down to a couple favorites. Bookmark them on your computer.

Best wishes. Job hunting is no different now than yesteryear, just not through the newspaper, mail, or phone, that's all. Go to companies direct and fill out their applications on line as well, and keep a list of all you contact either way so you don't duplicate anyone monthly.

Never, but a lot of folks send the same resume - to everyone

[ In Reply To ..]
And don't understand why nobody is interested.

I cannot tell you how many I have seen that still list typing speed and ability to use a photocopier.

never be negative about a former employer - Lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't do it, but someone I know did, and there is a rule about never talking bad about a former employer, just so anyone who hasn't looked in years realizes not to do that. Good luck!!

Negativity about former/present employer - Samantha

[ In Reply To ..]
For me, I just told the truth that transcription jobs are disappearing due to technology and some jobs going overseas, but that I truly enjoy transcription and how much I've learned. I also added in that my present employer was gracious enough to train me on other specialties when my work ran low. Not a lie at all. :)

Similar Messages:

For Those Who Have Their Resume Posted On The Resume Bank
Sep 25, 2012

I received a couple of very suspicious emails from someone who sounded overseas.  Just a warning. ...

For Those Who Need A Resume Or A Resume Facelift
Sep 04, 2013

I'm looking to get out of my job in a bad way and my resume was less than pretty. I ran across this site and it was awesome.  It's free to update your resume but charges to print or email, copy, etc.  But for a cover letter and resume was only $2.95 but will auto-renew at $34 if you don't cancel within 2 weeks.  But I did the trial period and got an awesome resume and fantastic cover letter. It's easy to use and fun. Hope this helps a little bit.  http:// ...

Resume In Resume Bank
Sep 24, 2014

Has anybody been contacted for a position by posting their resume in the resume bank? ...

My Updated TAA Info.
Jan 12, 2010

Unless and until I file for unemployment or have a letter from the Q stating a date that I will be laid off, I DO NOT QUALIFY FOR TAA. I was told that in order for them to consider PRE-LAY OFF status, I have to have a letter.  I was also told that becuase I only work part-time, and have a 2nd job, I will not qualify for unemployment, so I will not be able to qualify for TAA even if I get laid off. I have no idea how others on this board are getting meetings and information that they will ...

When Is PTO Updated In Teamwork?
May 27, 2010

It seems like my PTO has not been updated in the last 2 pay periods.  I have not taken any PTO and certainly have earned it.  Does anyone know when the new PTO earnings are applied? ...

Does Anyone If Mtec Updated Their Cds
Jun 23, 2012

Hi all. This is for anyone who's graduated from the M-Tec program recently or knows anything about M-Tec. Do they still have the same SUM transcription audios? I'm hoping they updated that part of their curriculum, and would like to know if that's been done yet. thank you. ...

Updated Software?
Aug 30, 2013

Does Nuance ever mail out updated software, like the Stedman's dictionaries for Word and such?  I got a copy when I was hired, but that was a long time ago.   (I'd ask my supervisor, but I speak to her out of office message more than I do to her!) ...

Updated Fluency
Dec 08, 2013

Don't you just love (ha) this new fluency putting in even our subheads now taking away yet more line.  I just did 3 reports, used the old way of counting and boy is it a bit short because all my red heads, subheads, were in already, what a way to make us get yet a smaller payck.  Way to go MM.   ...

Age With New Updated Version
Dec 21, 2014

Isn't the latest Fluency upgrade supposed to put the correct age of the patient within the body of the report, or did I misunderstand?  I've had 2 incidences where the age was wrong and still had to figure it out for myself. ...

Updated MTStars Job Board?
Jan 27, 2010

Why is the most recent job on this website from October 2009?  Do they mostly put their ads on MT Jobs??  Just wondering.  ...

Updated Information On ANP Transcription?
Jan 31, 2011

I'm wondering if anyone has some updated information on ANP transcription? I've searched and found some older info regarding late payment, low rate. I've passed their tests and have transcribed focus groups before, and right in their contract it states how often they pay and the rate, so I'm clear on that. I'm not trying to make a full-time job of this gig, just some extra money. It's always scary to hear some bad news about a prospective job, but it didn't se ...

Updated - Couple Questions...
Feb 08, 2012

I am doing some research and have a couple questions: How much would YOU charge clients if you are using a speech recognition platform for editing their dictation? Also, what would YOU pay your ICs for editing the work? Thank you in advance... :) **I have edited this post to add the following** Lets try this scenario thenâ€Â¦ Say you are an MTSO that has been in business for many, many years and are fairly well established in your local area. Your docs current ...

KEYSTROKES - Any Updated Information?
Feb 28, 2012

Any updated information would be appreciated on employment with them! ...

Updated Reviews On AssistMed?
Apr 22, 2015

Does anyone have any updated reviews on AssistMed?  Considering leaving one of the big ones for them.  Good or bad idea?  Any input on the "new rehab account" they are staffing? Thanks   ...

Updated Teamwork And Proficiency Emails
Nov 18, 2010

I just got 2 emails, one describing the new improved Schedule Source, and the second saying they will be sending us e-mails evaluating our proficiency in ASR reports and giving us recommendations for improvement.  Anyone want to bet they think these proficiency tips are going to lead to increased production and an excuse for the next big pay cut? ...

Here Is Our Problem. It's The Labor Laws That Need Updated.
Nov 27, 2012

According to the US Dept of Labor, we are considered piecework employees.  Please see below from the US Dept of Labor website. Please note, this is now illegal in the garment industry, and this is why most garment manufacturers are overseas/outsourced. It is legal as long as the pay the employee receives adds up to at least minimum wage for all the hours they spend working, at any speed, slow or fast, and correctly and incorrectly.  Some economic experts say that, "An easi ...

What Companies Furnish PC's, Need Updated List
Nov 18, 2014

nm ...

EORTC Trials Updated By S/L Bulla - Cancer - Sm - Ty
Jan 06, 2011

Androgen deprivation therapy should be considered for at least 6 months and potentially for 2-3 years based on randomized data from the EORTC tials, which has been recently updated by S/L bulla to show improved 10-year disease free and overall survival without increasing cardiovascular toxicity. ...

Checked Archives. Seeking Updated Input On
Jan 20, 2011

Are most people purchasing Instant Text (or ?)  to use in this platform or is BayScribe's expander user-friendly ?   ...

Updated Info On Transcription South In Clearwater, Florida?
Sep 18, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any new and updated info on Transcription South, Inc. in Clearwater, Florida. I was doing a little research before I interview with them. Anyone worked with them before? ...

How To Resume?
Sep 07, 2010

Haven't written a resume in years. How do you write one if you have been at the same place for 11 years?  Isn't that as far back as they are looking for?  Appreciate tips. ...

Help With Resume
Mar 31, 2011

I am trying to get back out there but I need help with my resume which I absolutely hate doing.  Could someone please email me some suggestions.  I would like to try and get back into an office setting doing anything!  ...

I Am In Need Of Help With My Resume
Jun 29, 2011

Dear Fellow Transcriptionists: I am in need of a career counsler who specializes in resumes. I live in Chevy Chase, Maryland, which is outside of Washington, D.C. and I need someone to help me with my current resume so that it is current. I know that there must be a company who can help me who does not live in the D.C. area who can help me telecommuting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you. Fondly, Suzie ...

OK ... I Did It, Just Sent My Resume
Mar 11, 2014

I read every line to all of the posts here for the last 24 hours, slept on the decision and thought a lot about it this morning.  Even in putting my resume together my hands were shaking ... not sure if it's the right decision or not.  But I'm trusting, trusting, trusting.  I feel like I've weighed every option and taken every scenario under consideration and my final decision is, I HAVE to make a move.  The days of transcription with this company are extremel ...

Just Sent Resume To
Mar 28, 2014

ad on mtdy, first ad on page (QMedET Solutions). does anyone have any info on them or are currently working for them? any info would be appreciated. tnx. ...

Question Regarding Resume
Nov 19, 2009

I have a question and maybe someone out there knows the answer.  I have a resume which I created on Word.  I would generally send it as an attachment to an e-mail; however, I'm finding that recruiters for some reason are requesting the resume be pasted into the e.mail.  If I do that, I lose my formatting on the resume and the text gets all messed up. Does anyone know of a solution?  I feel really dumb! Thanks!   ...

I Posted My Resume.......
Sep 29, 2010

.......and I keep getting emails asking what my specialties are. I posted all that and it's also in my resume. Makes me wonder if anyone actually reads a resume. ...

Resume On MT Stars
Apr 30, 2011

I put my resume on here and in the job wanted board.  I was wondering as more people put their resumes on and yours gets older and further down the list do you still get companies contacting you or should you put a new one on to move it back up the list.  I only put my resume on 2 days ago and got 3 contacts.  No bad MT Stars.  ...

Transcriptionist Resume Help
May 28, 2011

I get a lot of MTs asking me for help with resumes so I thought I would put this out for anyone who is interested. This link downloads a sample one-page MT resume to use as a guide: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/Sample%20One%20Page%20MT%20Resume.docx This link shows this same resume with some tips added. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20134076/One%20Page%20MT%20Resume%20Tips.jpg Hope this helps someone.   ...

Would You Put On A Resume A Job You Only Kept For 15 Days?
Nov 30, 2011

x ...