A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Testing for a MT job - Gone and hopefully forgotten

Posted: Feb 07, 2014

How many of you think that testing to get an MT job absolutely ridiculous? When you apply to these so-called medical transcription companies, you send them your resume which I am sure highlights not only your experience, but also your education that you paid good money for and worked hard to obtain.  Yet, they still make you take a test.  Have you realized that the tests are designed for you to fail?    Your whole future is based on one test. Your experience and your education mean absolutely nothing to these companies. Talk about gross disrespect.  When you take the test, it is usually typing some dictator that is totally bad...unclear, unprecise, some doctor who definitely needs to hang up and never dictate again.  You usually have to type on these tests, yet when you get the job, it is VR.  You are tested on something that has nothing whatsoever to do with the job.  Who writes these tests?  Whoever wrote them evidently knows nothing about how to evaluate people. Don't you think it would be more appropriate to test you in the actual job you would be doing?  Then what is even more pathetic is they will not ever show you what you did wrong or give you a score. They simply tell you (sometimes they dont tell you) that you failed the test.   It is absolutely pathetic.  I strongly believe that if a company cannot look at my resume and see my experience and training and know that I will do a good job, then they are not worth my time.  It is time MTs start taking a stand against this unfair testing.  If they use their test to evaluate us....why can't we use the test to evaluate them????  Why would you want to work for a company whose test is nothing short of garbled trash?  If this is reflective of the actual work they have....why would you want to take their test and work for them?  If they cannot explain to you why you failed the test, why would you want to work for a company with such a poor lack of communciation?   It is time we evaluate companies based on their test.  Don't let them belittle your education and experience and base your future on your ability to decifer garbled trash.   Think about it......do you really want to work for a company who disrespects your credentials even before they meet you?

Testing - Never again

[ In Reply To ..]
I have spent hours testing for various companies and never passing. Sometimes after I labor over a page of 100 words or so, I try to go to the next page and it states I did not pass, so essentially I am done. If I see MTTest, I log off. I agree, it is ridiculous. You practically have to be premed or an English major. The job I have now, she sent me three dictations from the doctors who I would be transcribing for; I took them, passed and got the job. Viola'. No muss, no fuss! You read all the time about MTS with years of experience, who fail these stupid tests. These companies are getting away with MT genocide; don't fall for it, don't waste your time.

Testing - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
You would be surprised how many people obtain an MT education and still can't transcribe, I've seen it - people who want to work at home and think they can do it all. People lie on resumes and misrepresent their qualifications, testing is how employers weed people out. How many employers in other occupations do you know who hire people simply by looking at their resume? That may get you an interview, but as someone who has gone through a lot of non-MT interviews, there usually is pre-employment testing and generally more than one interview. Those tests not only look at your transcription ability, but also your ability to format a report and use good judgment. Sometimes the tests are not representative of the actual work you will be doing (more difficult) but if you can pass the test you are probably up to almost anything. Sorry, but I find this a bit arrogant. Pre-employment testing is not a sign of disrespect. If the tests were easy-peasy and something that anyone could pass, you might not be able to survive on the job, especially with acute care and all that entails these days. Unfortunately, being able to decipher garbled trash goes with the territory, sooner or later you are going to encounter it. It is possible to pass those transcription tests because I have, although I passed on the jobs for other reasons. If you want a job, you are going to have to jump through some hoops.

You are sorely mislead obviously - Non Test taker

[ In Reply To ..]
You are dead wrong. Most other jobs will not give you a test (especially a professional level job that requires some form of documented education). If these tests are so right, why wont they communicate the results to you other than pass or fail. I am going to tell you right off that most people who do evaluations of any sort in the medical field are NOT qualified to perform evaluation. They have no training in education, they have no idea how to write a test, grade it or provide proper feedback. Evaluations are more than just writing a few questions down and checking to see if it is right or wrong. MT companies want to weed out MTs who would not be good, but they never weed out management who are not good. Just because an MT cannot pass an impossible test does not mean she will not be a good worker. Some of the bet MTs on the market cannot pass these tests because they are designed TO MAKE YOU FAIL...and as the matter of fact, I am not too sure that many MTs do fail them. They are not given the score or the results....it is probably based on if the person doing the evaluation really knows what she is doing or not or if she likes your name or knows you...you pass. I have a Master's Degree in instructional design and over 20 years of teaching experience. I did MT work on my time off for extra pay to entertain my boredom, so you don't need to tell me anything about testing. I guarantee I know why more about it than you do and I know that how they are doing it is WRONG. Not only is the test wrong, the people who do the evaluations are not qualified to perform them. Above all, anyone with proper training in evaluations know that not only feedback is important, but so is positive reinforcement. Neither of these is provided on an initial test. If any other professional company tested you for a position, they would at least give you a score. I have never gotten a score on an initial test in MT. Nowadays, you take the test and the company is so pathetic that it will not even tell you if you failed. They simply tell you that if you don't hear from them, then you did not pass. That is probably one of the poorest excuses of unprofessional communication I have ever heard of in my life. Any company who cannot even tell me if I passed or failed tells me they lack serious communication skills and I would not want to work for a company like that. What if I had a question....if they did not feel my question was relevant, they would just ignore it? Pathetic. If I want a job, I will jump through hoops...I will give them my resume that clearly outlines my experience, I will show them my credentials and certifications and I will do an interview. If they are so stupid that they can determine what type of a worker I am based on that information, then they are not worthy of my hard work, dedication and service. Just like I have get the job, they also have to convince me that they have a decent place to work. So, I am not the only one being interviewed during the initial process. I know people lie on a resume, but if the MT company had real people in HR who knew what they were doing and could verify the information on the resume, the could weed these people out. There is no need for testing. It is just a disrespectful discriminative practice that they pathetic MT companies practice.

So sorry - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
You're the expert and I am totally ignorant. I've passed the tests without cheating or knowing someone on the inside, so I know it is doable, and I am referring to MT Test. If you apply for an MT job on site you will go through the same process - submit a resume, interview and 99% of the time they will ask you to take a transcription test. No one hires without screening applicants. Even clerk jobs require a terminology test. People who don't pass probably think they are stupid tests. Very few places share scores, they will tell you whether you passed or failed. It is extremely rare to hire anyone based solely on a resume, in any occupation.

Testing a complete waste of my time... - TimeToBailMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Never again will I test for another MT company.

I made the mistake of wasting my precious time testing for TransTech a couple months ago (completed all testing along with transcription portion) and they didn't even give me the courtesy of a response, and I am currently working a FT MT job of 8 years--it's INSULTING to be expected to take these stupid tests and everything you say is correct about them. It is a complete waste of time for someone who has been doing this over a decade (typing/editing multiple hospitals all over the country) and as for the poster not agreeing--by all means, have at it! You may have all the time in the world to waste on these ridiculous time-consuming tests, but I don't and I will have you know I did NOT have to test for my current and 2 previous long-term MT jobs, so no doubt there are plenty more MT companies out there who will hire you based on your resume/interview alone. The way it SHOULD be.

Imagine how ridiculous the extensive testing process is (that we don't get paid for) with all the skill it takes to even do them-- and for what...? If you do get the courtesy of a response and get hired on, the end result is always the same. Extremely low wages and in many cases as read on this very board, minimum wage or less. It's disgusting.

I have taken my last MT test. Time to bail MT.

MT IS DEAD!

My Opinion - see msg pls

[ In Reply To ..]
I got out of MT, but I've done my share of testing. I felt the only tests that were fair were the ones the MT company sent you via FedEx on a cassette, you transcribed it on your computer and printed it out and FedEx'd it back.

These online tests are a bunch of nonsense. I failed a couple of those, for what reason I do not know. They were easier than the nonsense I was transcribing. I understand they don't want to share what you did wrong---they are probably afraid the "answers" would get around. But I would have liked to have been given an idea of what went wrong.

These days, I think the testing is a bunch of hooey. If I was hiring an acute care MT, I certainly wouldn't just go by the resume---people can lie. I would talk to them on the phone for 5 minutes and ask them certain questions. I'd know within 3 questions if they knew what they were doing.

The answers are out there - Google Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
They don't want the answers to get out there, but all you have to do is google part of the question and you will find the answers online. See, these MTSO are ignorant with their stupid testing.

Well, - I am referring to hands-on transcription

[ In Reply To ..]
...I am talking about hands-on transcription, not a grammar/spelling test or multiple choice terminology test.

If I was checking out someone to see if they were indeed as good as their resume said, I would ask some questions, no warning of anything. I would ask thingsw like, what is the range of a normal WBC? That's very basic, even clinic. If they can't answer that, they shouldn't be transcribing.
I have to disagree with this. I couldnt answer WBC values - right off the top of my head. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
However, if I see it in a dictated note, I would know if it's not within the normal range. I could hear it and tell you if that does or does not sound quite right.

I didn't go to school for MA or PA or whatever. I don't see lab tests 10 times a day every day to have the values carved in my memory.

That doesn't mean that I'm not a good MT. I've never been asked lab values off the top of my head as a test. In fact, I've recently gotten 2 jobs with a small test and the strength of what's on my resume.

But yes, talking with someone whose resume looks good should give a recruiter or hiring manager a better idea if this person is what they say they are.
If you know when something - Does not sound right...
[ In Reply To ..]
...then you're doing good. WBCs do vary from lab to lab, too, but you probably know more than you think.

Okay, I would rephrase how I would ask the question: If someone has a WBC of 40,000 and all is well with the patient, would you question it?

tests are good imo - part-timer

[ In Reply To ..]
I never understand why people get upset at having to take a test. Maybe if you are failing them, there is a reason. For example, maybe you aren't as good at this job as you think you are and that's why you fail?

If I was an employer you can bet I would damn sure want to know that the people I hire are competent and will do good work. The best way to do this is to give a test assessing their abilities. It's easy to pad your resume, it's a lot harder to fake it on a test.

I have to wonder...are the people complaining about having to take tests the same ones that complain that they can't make any money working? Wouldn't surprise me.

Similar Messages:

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

Testing For MQ
Nov 20, 2009

It is truly laughable that MQ expects US MTs to jump through hoops, passing their tests, audits, trying to decipher absolute garbage and paying us like we were 6 month trainees, etc., and then have the audacity to send work to India.  I hope MQ gets its due for all the grief they have caused and their role in the demise of this industry!  If Verizon were to put them out of business, that would definitely be what they deserve. ...

FN Testing/ESL?
Dec 21, 2009

Does anyone work for FutureNet ?? Or worked there in the past on ESL accounts? How was the test?  How are the ESL accounts? Incredibly awful dictators??Thanks! ...

When Testing ....
Mar 17, 2010

How are you supposed to know whether to put the headings and text on the same line or put the text on the line under the heading, put a colon after heading or not put a colon?  They said they go by BOS, but all I see pertaining to that in the BOS is the sample reports where they put the text under the heading with no colons after the heading.  I guess I'll just do it that way.  ...

Lab Testing
Jun 23, 2010

Doctor says her MELD score is 29.  Her s/l madrete???? discriminant function is 85. ...

Osi Testing
Aug 24, 2010

Has anyone ever tested for OSI - I hear it is quite lengthy and indepth - almost more indepth than the CMT test - anyone know from experience ? ...

Testing At ROI
Mar 21, 2011

Has anyone ever taken the test with ROI? and if so, did you pass? WOW what a test! Does anyone else feel the same way? ...

Testing For A Job
Nov 29, 2011

Just wondering, in general, if there is a limit to take a transcription test for a company?  How long are you given to take the test? ...

MME Testing
Jan 14, 2013

Someone told me about testing for MME, but I can't find any info on portal or elsewhere.  Any information about that out there?  Thank you. ...

Testing?
May 03, 2013

What is the purpose of being asked to go into Enrich and take quizzes?  What are they trying to do here?  ...

Testing!!!
Jul 18, 2013

I am hoping someone can help me out with this question. I am a single mother with a 3 and 6 year old. I recently resigned from my job due to management. I also got accepted to school that starts in Aug. I have done medical transcription for over 4 years, but currently not the last two years. I was working for a corporation and management there were all for sabotaging people. Since I have left my job, I knew that I could always come back to transcribing. I am taking tests to only find out, I didn ...

Testing For CCS
Feb 19, 2014

Hello, I am a former MT hoping to transition over into medical coding. I have been unemployed since 01/2014. I'm looking for someone that can help me out. I've researched AHIMAs website about the requirements for obtaining the CCS certification. My question is: Can I apply and take the CCS exam during my final class in coding? I have applied for my medical coding certificate and will complete class in 3 months. The website states the requirements are (completed) coursework or work e ...

Job Testing
May 27, 2015

Hi,  I have been with the same company since I started this type of work but need to go elsewhere now.  I have no idea what to expect with testing.  Can someone tell me what it's like?  TY  (I am nervous!) ...

TESTING
Jun 05, 2015

Why are the tests for some of these companies awful?  Pitiful platform, unable to use foot pedal, etc.  By the time you get the dang thing figured out your time is up.  I am just frustrated with the entire process......  I am going to apply at Wal-Mart! ...

Archivus Testing
Oct 12, 2009

I am struggling with the dictation on the archivus testing.  I could only do one report with no blanks, the others are really tough.  Has anyone else had this problem?  What should I do if I cannot finish the reports or have really too many blanks? ...

Orthopedic Testing
Nov 12, 2009

This surgeon dictates the same over and over in multiple reports, and I cannot understand what type of testing this is.  "s/l Manuar test reveals 5/5 strength in forward elevation, external rotation, internal rotation, and abduction." "s/l The remainder of Manuar assessment exam of left upper extremity reveals 5/5 strength throughout all major muscle groups." I thought about the possibility of manual test, but that just does not sound like what he is saying.  Thanks so much! ...

MedQuist And Testing
Nov 18, 2009

Is anyone here familiar with MedQuist's pre-employment testing or their pre-employment process? Does anyone know how much they pay? Thanks!! ...

Testing And Tired :(
Nov 29, 2009

It is getting very hard to even find the energy to test anymore. I have tested till I am blue in the face and dont understand why it is so hard to get a job in this profession. I graduated top of my class with a 3.98 and you would think I would have had a job by now. I did not think it would be this hard to land a good job but wow this really is a hard profession to get started in. I seem to do well on the test and dictations but they always send me emails telling me they have already filled th ...

Tired Of Testing
Dec 16, 2009

Does anybody know of MTSOs that don't require transcription testing?  I'm so tired of spending time testing only to be offered very low cpl in my opinion.  I've been an MT for 20+ years and am trying to find a part-time job.  However, all this testing is really starting to wear me down.  Aren't there any MTSOs out there that just call references anymore?  I'm an IC and have lots of references and regularly do fill-in ...

Company Testing.......
Jan 07, 2010

I tested for a company who stated that my skills were not up to their requirements, which I find very difficult to believe, as I have been in this business for 10 years, nonetheless, I am beginning to wonder if some of these companies are not scamming us.  I was required to transcribe four different files with the shortest one being 6 minutes and the longest 12 minutes, but apparently, they were not good enough.  Again, I am baffled as I kept all the files I did and I did not find one ...

Testing For MedGarde
Feb 24, 2010

Anyone do the testing for MedGarde?  You can't use any foot pedal?  Isn't that crazy? ...

HITECH Testing
Mar 26, 2010

Just found out my employer is requiring all employees to take the HITECH test.  This is from the law that was passed last year.  We were told it would take about 5 hours to complete. Has anyone seen this test or taken it who can share some info (how long, how hard, etc?) Sure wouild appreciate a little info before starting.  Thanks! ...

Enough Of This Unnessary Testing!
Apr 14, 2010

MTSO contacted me by email and we played email tag for a couple of days.  The MTSO stated she wanted to discuss a job that she had available and liked my resume, etc. When talking to the MTSO she said she could not tell me what the job paid until I passed her test.  So, I am suppose to waste my time, yeah right.  She sent me 5 test files, all 8 to 10 minutes in length, and told me to enjoy myself.  Okay,  I started to take the bait, but as she said she liked my resu ...

Hepatitis Testing
Apr 17, 2010

Hepatitis testing:  Hepatitis cAb IgG serum reactive, hepatitis C RNA - s/l QLBPC positive. Not really sure about any of this, but I have no idea what he is saying at the s/l.   thanks ...

Testing With Medquist
May 29, 2010

I have been working as an IC for many years, acute care, .10/line and usually can do 200 lines/hour.  In 2 weeks the hospital is giving their transcription to Medquist!!!  I have a phone interview scheduled for Thurs. but am having serious doubts about going through with this.  I have no idea of the pay rate, benefits, etc., and all these comments about QA are really turning me off.  If I have a blank all I have to do is send it to my supervisor and if she cannot figure ...

Trouble Testing!! I Need Help!
Jun 22, 2010

I have 12 years experience working as an IC medical transcriptionist. I just got laid-off and now I find myself testing w/ different companies and I can't pass the typing portion of the test for some reason!!! It's driving me crazy. I have been using my AAMT Book of Style for formatting and I have been studying the basic rules of transcription. Can anybody help me w/ this?? What are these companies looking for and what possibly could I be doing wrong? All I can think of is that I& ...

Testing For Spondyloarthropathy.
Aug 05, 2010

This patient has possible undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy, but the test is being put off until the patient has financial assistance.  I'm unsure what the test name is, though.  It sounds like, "hold off testing (tuperculosis) now."  There could be a syllable or two before what I hear as the test name, but I only hear exhaling. Also, the patient has bone spurs on her Achilles tendon, and the description sounds a little like "inhisipathic" but I can't find anything c ...

No Testing Required
Aug 05, 2010

Does anyone know of any companies that don't require testing to be hired? ...

Testing For Jobs!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 25, 2010

Hello everyone! I finished my schooling about two months ago. I started looking for jobs when I first started and a year later I'm still having the same problem. The testing for the big MTSO are so hard. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time passing these tests. Well actually I do. The dictation is so hard to understand. They either barely speak english or they speak so fast that you can't understand what is coming out of their mouth. Does anyone have any tips or advic ...

Testing For Jobs
Oct 16, 2010

I am in a quandry.  I have tested for multiple companies now and pass with flying colors on the terminology and fill-ins, but am losing out in the transcription testing portion.  I never went to formal MT school, but have been working for over 3 years for a small MTSO and have transcribed for oncologists, gastroenterologists, ophthalmologists, orthopedists, family practice physicians and have never had an issue with the quality of my work.  I also purchased the AHDI Book of Style and have bee ...