A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Stop letting these companies advertise their "jobs" here....sm - Tiny

Posted: Apr 17, 2011

8 cpl is what I started at 6 or 7 years ago, I'm still seeing this number and of course much lower. How are companies getting away with this nonsense of not paying for spaces, paying 5 cpl, etc.

In my opinion 8 cpl + typing for large teaching hospitals with 18 pages of specifications = really low pay.

The one way I can think to put an end to these companies and their crappy pay, besides no one taking these jobs, is to stop letting them advertise on MT stars and other MT boards unless they offer a fair wage. They know how popular this board and others like this one are. If they want to advertise a job for 5 cpl doesn't include spaces...etc.....let them advertise elsewhere. Why are they allowed here? I find it completely insulting. I've been doing this for at least 13 years and if I weren't working for a hospital right now I know I would not be doing this for a living. I feel for you transcriptionists out there being exploited and cheated. It makes me want to start my own company.

It's late, I just worked an 11 hour shift, and I'm a bit cranky. But, continuing to let these companies advertise their crappy, low paying jobs on this board really has to stop. Maybe I'm wrong?

They should be forced to stop paying less than - minimum wage! Oh, they CLAIM - S/M

[ In Reply To ..]
they offer a fair wage, and that it meets or exceeds each state's minimum. They *claim* that if we're not making min. wage, it's because we're:
Lazy
Undereducated
Inexperienced
Stupid
Too young
Too old
and yes, "too American"!

The MTSOs are artful dodgers that have learned how to skirt most of America's employment laws. One of the best ways being, of course, by simply sending the work AWAY FROM AMERICA.

Sure, that 7, 8 or 9cpl seems like a good deal, when you add it up using the kinds of line counts you probably made 10 or 15 years ago on simpler equipment, with less-spoiled, less-demanding accounts, all wanting the moon and the stars for next to nothing.

But when reality sets in, you realize that you're working far in excess of the usual 40-hour week. You're also not getting a dime of overtime, because you're told that you *should* be able to do their daily minimum linecount within an 8-hour shift. Funny thing, though, they don't factor in the fact that you sit there twiddling your thumbs for big chunks of time each day when you see the dreaded "NJA" on your screen. Or that you spend other large chunks of time looking through their ever-growing numbers of pages of job specifications.

Lacking the backbone to ever say "no" to the faster and faster TAT the clients keep demanding, along with higher accuracy, tighter HIPAA compliancy, and details upon details, ad nauseum, for each and every single doctor in each and every single medical institution they serve, they shun the prospect of a simpler, more standardized report format (a "one-size-fits all", generic style for all). No, they instead fill their reams of job specifications with cow-pucky little details that have nothing to do with patient care: Hospital A wants 2 spaces after a colon. Hospital B wants 1 space. And Hospital C wants 3. A wants headings in bold, all-caps. B wants headings in bold, not all-caps. C wants it in all-caps, not bold, and underlined. A wants hanging indents, B wants block form, C can't make up its mind, so they complain about it no matter which way you do it.

Then, they allow each specific doctor in each institution to dictate his very own, personal style. This may have worked back in the 50's, when MTs often worked for one doctor, often as a medical secretary. But with the dumbing-down of 21st-century "McTranscription" companies, one doctor may have scores of different MTs, in different parts of the country, doing his work.

The fact that MTSOs are so spineless and scared of their own shadows that they can't find the conjones to tell these clients that it won't be possible to offer them their low, low, discount bargain-basement-transcription prices AND give each MD his or her very own, personal style of formatting is really beyond belief. Sure, times are tough. Sure they want to make a profit. Sure, there's lots of competition. But there IS a cutoff point, when they either have to take a stand, and make a few demands themselves, or end up making NO money at all.

Meanwhile, as all these MTSO execs are learning how to run a business, whose pocket do all their mistakes come out of? OURS, of course. Back when they were taking Business 101 in high school, I guess somebody forgot to tell them that although the Customer Is King, the lowly employee is not just a cog in the wheel, or a squirming bug of an entity to be squashed beneath their heels whenever they feel the need to make more money for themselves. Somebody forgot to tell them that in addition to taking care of your clients, you ALSO take care of your EMPLOYEES. If you don't you won't have any.

And I love it when they turn around and say, "Well, fine! We'll just send ALL the work to India!" Well, "fine" right back at them! Go ahead. Do it. And while they're at it, I hope they figure out a way to get their Indian cr*p work proofed and QA'ed. Because if no more MT work is available in the US, then eventually no more new MTs will come along to replace those who retire, starve to death, or change professions. And that's where all their editors come from! You can't just call up Kelly Girl and get yourself a top-notch medical editor.

Also, I think we all just KNOW that the offshore MTs are being lied to and taken advantage of, as well. After all, the companies hiring them are the same ones that are screwing US. And the Indian MT companies learned their trade from all of America's less-than-upstanding, offshoring MTSOs. So dishonesty, sweatshop mentality, low pay, and total disregard for the workers that actually MAKE a company a company, are hard-wired into the industry, not just here but worldwide.

It's all going to come to blows someday. Maybe it'll happen in America, or more likely somewhere else, since the American MT is now a bona fide Endangered Species. If people in 3rd world countries can stand up to a corrupt government, they can stand up to a corrupt industry as well.

Stop letting these companies advertise their "jobs" here....sm - threedogs

[ In Reply To ..]
Great post! Years ago, we got an account in our office that was from ****! I called up the supervisor and apologized for all the blanks. She told me not to worry about it. She said she had a box of pens on her desk and all the MDs had to take a pen when they came to âherâ department and fill in the blanks. If they did not follow the department rules they were written up. When I worked in the clinical area in the OR and OB, we wrote the MDs up a lot for never filling out their charts on the unit and other reasons. Nothing is ever done about it because they bring the patients to the corporate hospitals in our corporate health care system so they make money.

AMEN - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
You said what I have been thinking and preaching for as long as I've been working for an MTSO. Back in the day, when I worked in a hospital and docs presented handwritten notes, if we could not read them, did we spend hours and hours trying to figure out what they wrote? No. Did they hire a team of QA to decipher it? NO. Back then, if the report was not readable, it went right back to the doc to fix it, or he/she would be penalized. Our director and hospital administrators were not afraid to speak up to the doctors, to hold them to a certain level of accountability, and never seemed to place them on any pedestals of godhood back then. Of course, there was no competition with another "service" that would come in and take over for a cheaper price. It certainly was a different world back then, 30 years ago.

Right ON! - Lynn

[ In Reply To ..]
Beautifully said...and sadly, so true! We should take back our industry, demand higher wages; if we break the law on one of the HIPPA laws (which don't apply to India or offshore), we can be fined $10,000 and IMPRISONED! Don't you think that counts for something? Doctors face these kinds of penalties, and we make nowhere NEAR a doctor's salary, yet we protect the doctor through the legal medical record. Who is protecting us? Not our salaries! I couldn't even afford to hire an attorney to fight a HIPPA claim.

There is strength in numbers...I'm just saying :-)

that's a really good idea - let them advertise elsewhere - NOT here

[ In Reply To ..]

Response - SM - Moderator

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone is free to make their own decision on what job advertisements they wish to apply for.

If you do not want to work for that line rate, then simply don't apply. Obviously, if companies do not receive any applicants then it will be a clear message received by them.

However, just because you don't want to work for those rates does not mean that others are not wanting those positions.

We do have a minimum on the rates advertised and, as long as MTSOs abide by our requirements, posters will be offered a range of job opportunities.

Okay...so minimum is 5 cpl. sm - Tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
Is that only for earn and learn though? And you are right, no one has to take any of those jobs if the choose not to. I think that is also a huge part of the problem. But, I can understand both sides.

Response - SM - Moderator

[ In Reply To ..]
For any transcription work, whether it is an earn-and-learn program or not. We have not posted a minimum per-line rate for VR/speech recognition editing at this point.

We are the only board that I am aware of that has any limitations at all on job postings.

The precise reason I am leaving this profession... - anonymouse

[ In Reply To ..]
That's why I'm out of here. That and the fact that they can't even have work for you to do 40 hours. I think if they don't have the work for you to get your 40 hours they should have to pay you for every hour you don't have work available to you. I'm going back to school next fall. Luckily, I'm still young.

Similar Messages:

Why Do Companies Advertise For Help And Then
Dec 03, 2010

they really expect that someone is going to wait around during that time for a reply?  ...

Petition To Stop Sending Our Jobs Off Shore
Nov 19, 2012

There is a petition here http://wh.gov/XbqE about stopping off-shoring jobs. I saw it on facebook, and it would apply to MT, I think. They need 150 signatures for it to be put on the White House website. If our jobs were back here and not sent to other countries, maybe we could finally work and get paid enough to survive - kind of like in the "good old days." ...

Petition To White House To Stop Off-shoring Jobs . . .
Nov 15, 2012

Please take a look at the petition I've started on the White House "We the People" website. We need 250 signatures for it to go lived, and then 25,000 within 30 days to force the administration to review it and respond. It is here http://wh.gov/XbqE It may not help, but I think it's worth a shot. Thanks! ...

Using Recruiting Companies For MT Jobs
Jan 04, 2011

I have been unemployed as an MT now since last April. I have uploaded my resume to many different sites, careerbuilder.com, Monster, etc. Every morning or so I get an email from one of them showing me the new jobs on the site and one always basically comes from an MT recruiting company that says pay could be from $25K to 65K depending on experience. (I think the days of $60K are gone!) My question is if anyone on this board has gone that route presently or in the past with that type of recruiti ...

Why Do Companies Post Jobs And Never Reply?
May 20, 2015

It's become increasingly worse. If you advertise and receive resumes from MTs who are qualified, at least set up an auto response stating you have received their E-mail. It's common courtesy. And companies wonder why they can't obtain or retain help. Well, when you can't be bothered to even communicate at a minimum level, do not expect to receive excellent help in return.  ...

Has Transportal Been Letting A Lot Of MTs Go?
Aug 02, 2010

I have heard that Transportal has been letting a lot of MTs go here lately.  Just curious if this is true or not. ...

If It's True That They Are Letting People Go Who
Jun 05, 2010

make the most per line - then isn't it ironic that they were offering pay increases to those who went through the (expensive) certification process?  That was a great way for ADHI to make $$ and then they would cut any MT who was making more! Catch-22! ...

Congrats To MModal For Letting Us Know
May 13, 2012

Thank you, MModal!  I always knew we didn't specifically get paid for looking things up (part of the job), but what I didn't know was that it was affecting our line counts for trying to look things up.  Yeah!  Something actually honest for a change.  LOL. ...

Thanks For Letting Your Kid Scream In The Phone
Jul 15, 2012

try and stop the rining in my ears and get through your dictation as the kid continually talks in the background...common sense please... ...

Start Letting Our Schools Fight For Us!!
Aug 22, 2010

I just sent an email to the school I graduated from (Career Step).  I told them (they probably already know) HOW BAD IT HAS GOTTEN - replaced by cheaper East Indian so-called transcriptionists, no work, no benefits - give me a break!  Hopefully they have enough pull (and connections) to stand up for us, otherwise, they will be out of business soon too!  Let's stand up and fight.  WE ARE NOT TRAINED MONKEYS.  We have all studied and worked too hard for this to h ...

How Big Does MQ Advertise To Be Now?
Oct 27, 2009

I think they used to advertise over 8000 MT and I don't remember how many accounts they boasted.  Anyone know recent stats? ...

AssistMed Job. How Can They Advertise For An
Nov 05, 2009

independent contractor, yet in the requirements state: An excellent work-at-home discipline with a commitment to work an 8-hour shift on scheduled days.  ?? ...

Why Doesn't TTS Advertise On MT Stars?
May 18, 2010

Just wondering because I was over at the other MT site and saw a help wanted ad for TTS and thought maybe TTS was mad at MT Stars owners because they let MTs post not so good things about TTS.  MQ doesn't advertise here either but they are looking for help too.  What's up with that?   I support the companies who advertise on MT Stars, my favorite MT web site.        ...

Amphion - Why Do They Advertise They Pay For 65-keystroke Lines
Nov 18, 2010

They pay for EVERY keystroke which is simply not true!!  THEY DON'T PAY FOR SPACES, isn't that correct?  ...

I Hope That Any Company Wanting To Advertise For A Job Here
Mar 13, 2015

will read this.  If you are going to place an ad, at least state the pay rate.  If you do not do that and someone goes ahead and tests, only to find out the pay is horribly low (7-8 cpl), you are going to have one very irritated MT who will tell others to stay away.  Also, you need to state the platform and the computer specs!  Otherwise, I am not going to waste my time even sending a resume much less testing. ...

Judging From Posts I Have Seen, OTI And SoftScript Advertise But Have No Work. Any Others? Sm
Feb 28, 2011

I see Transcend advertises a lot too -- are they one of the offenders?  I would rather know upfront than waste my time applying. ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Why Do MTSO Advertise, But Never Call Or If They Do Call, Nothing.
Feb 20, 2012

I am tired and frustrated from applying and sending out resumes only to be ignored.  It is like a game with them, I think.  MedGarde even has an interview which has absolutely nothing to do with your skills or qualifications.  In fact it seems like psychological testing to see if you are mentally competent or something like that.  I swear I feel like a mouse that is being tested and run through a maze to see how well you perform, but even mice will get the prize or food event ...

Let's Please Stop It!
Nov 28, 2009

The conference calls are over,  the paperwork will soon be sent in, and rumors have been put to rest, at least I think they have been.  I am encouraged because D seems to be more at the helm than I thought she was going to be.  She answered a question yesterday which made things more clear about the rate cut.  I said a long time ago that 10 or 11 cpl was not going to fly forever.  You charge only what the market can bear, and in this economy it cannot handle those rates. ...

When Are They Going To Stop Messing With
Feb 10, 2010

MQ has made big changes to my primary account.  Now things are all messed up and because of it, we have to re-enter redundant information in the ADT screen.  For example, it says ADT Attending and ADT Admitting with the doc's names.  Those aren't carrying over to the report now, for some reason, so we have to re-enter those docs names in the additional ADT field under attending and admitting.  Also, all of the reference repository stuff is gone.  It now says th ...

Stop Yawning At Me!!!!
Nov 09, 2010

She started out the dictation yawning and apologized for it the first time but then went on to do it 3 or 4 more times.  It's a good thing I'm near the end of my night because now I'm yawning like crazy. ...

Hey MTSO, Just Stop ...
Feb 14, 2011

assigning me the garbage work just because you "think" I can do it.  Had to vent, really sick of it!  Between the ESLs and the stuff where people say things that do not make sense I am really getting fed up!  Sorry, had to vent.  I know you read this and I know you know who is this. ...

If You Are Let Go At WMX, Does Your Insurance Stop
Feb 23, 2011

nm ...

The Abuse Won't Stop
Jul 03, 2012

No one is going to do it for us.  There is wage theft, minimum wage, changing of timecards, disrespect for our knowledge, ridiculous working conditions, bad management, and no communication.  MTs have been left completely out of the conversation, and they are the MT in MTSO.  How bizarre is that? I think everyone should just walk away from their keyboards.  We won't know what the result of an action like that will be until we take it, and hold a positive intent on beha ...

Re: Comedy Stop
Jul 05, 2012

I really hope this doesn't get redirected. I meant to put it on the Main Board. I want to send out a request for more VR and dictation funnies. MTStars has gotten so depressing lately, and I could really use some laughs. ...

For Those Saying We Should Stop Training VR. If We Did, How
Oct 04, 2012

x ...

When Will It Stop Snowing?
Dec 31, 2012

. ...

Start-Stop
Apr 24, 2013

Does anyone use Start-Stop?  If so, do you like it? Cathy ...

Did You Ever Stop To Think How Much Better You Could Dictate
Dec 15, 2013

than some of these idiots who you have to muddle through on day after day after day ad nauseum?  I am transcribing this dictator tonight who has had one patient with "infantigo" and on her "review of symptoms" she dictates "Eyes" as a subheading by itself then does HEENT later on in the review. I would be so organized if I were doing this, I would have a standard sheet for every patient with ROS and PE, then just fill in the blanks and note any abnormalties.  It would be so easy for us ...

Nuance - Stop
May 04, 2014

I have never posted or replied to anything on MTstars.com, about any company in my 30 years in this field and have worked for a few BIG companies in the past (who were never this bad, not even Medquist) and with my own experiences I can say Nuance should be rated as a 10 as the worst company to work for (10 as worst).  If you are considering Nuance, do not waste your time or most importantly, your self-respect.   ...