A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Difference between IC and employee - s/m - lookingforajob

Posted: Jul 21, 2012

Job hunting -:( not fun.  I see some places paying 8 and 4 cpl, seems to be the going rate but my question is - some places are IC and some have employee status.  Other than the obvious benefits, why would you want to be an IC?  I was self-employed with my husband years ago and it was a nightmare.  Had to pay $5000 for self-employment tax just to begin with.   Thanks for any info !

Most "IC" positions these days pay no more.... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
than employee positions, often 8/4 cents a line. These positions are mostly misclassified employee positions where you are treated as an employee right down to a schedule and the MTSO is getting out of paying the employer's share of payroll taxes.

Not anymore - vruins

[ In Reply To ..]
I went from 9 cpl and an IC to 4 cpl with VR. No idea how they think anyone can live on that, especially when VR takes longer for me to edit the mistakes than straight typing.

IC and MTSO'er - hello

[ In Reply To ..]
I have IC accounts, 13 cents a line, and that's as a subcontractor. The doctors actually pay pay 16 cents a line. There's no comparison, for me. My MTSO job is 8 cents straight, but most of the work is editing at 4 cents. AWFUL. If I didn't have IC work, I wouldn't be able to pay the bills.

PS--Sorry, I replied to the wrong person.

we're getting screwed at 6-8cpl - winston

[ In Reply To ..]
I was recently paid 17 cpl by a hospital as an IC. I was told by a friend who is a HIM director that 17 cpl was LESS than most hospitals pay. Her hospital pays one of the big-two (and we all know who those are) more than 17 and less than 25 cpl. Okay, let's do the math. We're all smart enough, aren't we? 20-8= 12. If you do 1200 lines per day, you get $96.00. The "company" gets $144.00 for what YOU type. And, to add insult to injury, they run it all through VR and pay editors 3-4 cpl ($48.00), making their PROFIT for those VR reports $192.00 a day - per transcriptionist. And that, ladies, is why the big companies are worth the BILLIONS of dollars and we get paid crap.

Start your own company. Go to the hospitals and doctor's offices. Let them know they have a choice. Crappy work or great work... hire your own subcontractors. Pay them well! You can afford it. We all deserve to get paid what we're worth. The hospitals and offices are paying it, we're just not getting it. Nauseating, isn't it? And it's just simple math, people --- just simple math.

I agree. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't believe for one minute that the largers MTSOs are billing at the rates they want us to believe. You can go online and search for Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense current awarded contracts for medical transcription and read the rates for yourself in black and white. I assure you the larger MTSOs are not working with the private sector for less than stated in those government contracts.
pyramid scheme - winston
[ In Reply To ..]
And we're at the bottom. Look it up.

Similar Messages:

Difference Between IC And Employee?
Nov 19, 2014

What's the difference between IC and employee?  Thanks. ...

Confused About Difference Between Statutory Employee And IC Status.
Jan 22, 2010

I keep trying to find something definitive that spells out the differences between the two, but it all seems so vague or, at least, different companies seem to treat each differently. Specifically, since my company recently converted everyone over to statutory status, can they require the employees to set and maintain a strict schedule as they had when they were full-time regular employees, or should/do the statutory employees have more leeway in that regard, more along the lines of an IC? ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

Former Nuance Employee Now Has To Become Employee Again
Mar 11, 2014

Has anyone else left Nuance for another company only to have to return after acquisition? Were you just reinstated or did you have to start fresh from day 1 again? ...

There Must Be A Lot Of Difference In VR For
Oct 17, 2010

I have never been able to run much above 150 lph average doing VR for my company.  It is so horrid, I can usually type it quicker.  I cannot even imagine how anybody is doing 400-500 lph average.  Just pulling in the jobs, listening through patient information, filling in date of service, consulting physicians and such, fixing the ASR dictation and uploading the job -- there is no way on this earth it will ever happen at my company.  I need a new job apparently.  ...

What Is The Difference In Pay Between A T3 And A T4?
Apr 08, 2014

I did not realize there was even a T4 level with MModal.  Just noticed it in an e-mail today.  Thanks ...

What's The Difference Between TSM And TS
Jul 12, 2014

Anyone? ...

Seeing No Difference With Upgrade To 6.1
Sep 27, 2010

Is it just me or my region but the only difference I have seen in the upgrade is the doctor's data base and being able to number with the numbering function.  I have yet to see the headings column come up on the left with a job or have the option on the top that says "type headings as dictated."  When I try to use the alt-H for inserting headers it it is still coming up in the middle of the screen and it is not showing, "client preferred headings."  Pretty much anything that ...

Maybe The Difference Is Some Of Us Dont See Ourselves
Jan 22, 2011

treated as such. If you do nothing to change a bad situation, the bad situation will never change.  But I guess some, like my DS, thrive on the drama of poor me, I can do nothing to help myself, please feel sorry for me.  And others, like me, hate drama, hate being treated bad, and refuse to stand by and let it continue.  I will not let a MTSO rule my life to the point of draining my bank account, monopolizing my time and stomping on my self esteem. Why would I stay in a situation ...

Would It Make A Difference To You As An MT If Your...
Jul 20, 2011

CEO, COO, President, etc., came to you and said that management was taking a pay cut along with you?  Has anyone ever been told that their office staff or other support personnel have been doing without raises or taking pay cut with the bad economy?  Do they have mandatory reduction in hours when things are slow as there is no money coming in?  I'm just curious how much the nature of the beast affects everybody in a company versus the MTs and what the reasoning is.  Why ...

Difference Between MT Statuses
Aug 04, 2011

What is the difference between being an independent contractor, subcontractor and employee in medical transcription.  I'm now PT employee at MQ and looking.  Which would be the best status to be searching for?  Hope someone can help me understand this.  Thanks. ...

Unsure Of What Is The Difference
Sep 29, 2011

What would be the difference in being a coder in a  physician's clinic, insurance company, mental health facility or home health facility. Which setting would provide the most interesting work, the easiest, the least time-consuming? ...

Wmx - What's The Difference Between Native And New?
Oct 04, 2011

Hadn't used New version all that long (months?) before we switched back to Native.  I honestly do not see a difference between the two besides native having an ugly font.  Clue me in as to why the switch back, and what's the difference?  Thanks. ...

What Is An Easy Way To Tell The Difference Between These Two?
Mar 23, 2012

Procyte and Prosight I know that Prosight is a multivitamin.  I found both on WebMD's drugs and meds A-Z.  There was no information on Procyte.  It was just listed as Procyte Top.  I was not aware that there was a Procyte until earlier today.  The doctor dictated "And be careful you use the correct one, but I am unsure of the spelling."  That confused me a bit, so I did some research and the only place that I found any mention of Procyte was on WebMD.  An ...

What Is The Difference Between Tier 2 & 3?
Feb 02, 2013

Hey everyone, I am in the process of applying for a home based MT position, but i am wondering what the difference is between Tier 2 & 3. Thanks so much for any assistance you all can offer! ...

Difference In Pay For SR Vs Transcription
Mar 13, 2013

I've only done straight transcription in the past and just got hired by a company who apparently does both SR and transcription...can anyone give me info on their experiience as far as if I will make the same amount doing editing for SR as I would transcribing?  Looking at 0.04 cpl is a bit dauntiing.  I type really fast and it almost seems like I could straight transcribe a dictation at 0.08 cpl as fast as I could edit one at 0.04...just wondering about anyone else's experie ...

Need An Answer As To The Difference Between
Sep 19, 2014

using numberical 2 and Roman II, was told was between types and conditions of disease. Am confused, can you help? ...

What Difference Does It Make To The
Apr 17, 2015

scheduler person if we throw on a load of laundry while we stretch our legs?!?  We are allowed to stand up and stretch for god's sake!  The only thing she needs to worry about is our number of lines at the end of the day and if we worked our schedule.  That's literally all that matters.  Is it some kind of power/control trip?  Before, she said we're not supposed to take off and use PTO to go to the doctor, though of course it's okay for them to do tha ...

Can Someone Please Tell Me What The Difference Is, Please See Inside Message
May 15, 2010

What would be the difference in taking a Medical Coding Program such as Andrews or AHIMA offers, versus taking THIS BELOW that Herzing offers.  I see Herzing says Insurance coding. So career wise, what is really the difference between being a Coder and an insurance coder?  Is there any difference in the job, the pay, etc?   I have a Pell grant and you see, Andrews and AHIMA do not accept it. from Herzing Online University Medical Billing and Insurance Coding - Overview Med ...

Would An HIM Degree Make A Difference?
Jun 09, 2011

if I want to move to something other then transcription but stilll not waste the 12 years transcription experience I have?  ...

Difference Between Oriented And Orientated?
Jul 14, 2011

Pay Difference For Part-time
Dec 13, 2011

I am just wondering if most companies pay less per line if you work part time.  I have recently talked with my supervisor about possibly going part time (600 lines per day), and she told me if I chose to go part time, my pay per line would go down to 6 cpl from 7.  I can't imagine making less per line than I already do.  My skill level and quality will not decrease, so why would my pay?  ...

MT/Editor/Senior MT - Difference?
Feb 03, 2012

Hi Can someone please post the difference between a MT/ QC-Editor/Senior MT? ...

Please Explain The Difference Between Nuance's QA And QC?
Feb 20, 2012

I'm new at Nuance.  I see the QC and QA percentage on my time sheet.  I understand QA but what is the QC?  Wondering because I know this is what determines if and how much your bonus is.  Thanks! ...

What Is The Difference In Coverage Between The Two Insurances?
Nov 12, 2012

They both seem to have exactly the same coverage, same deductible, etc.  I can't figure out the difference between the two plans. ...

IE For Firefox And What A Difference In Speed!
Nov 18, 2012

On both my Win XP and Vista computers I had tremendous slow downs and freezes while using Internet Explorer. In checking the Task Manager/Processes it showed several iexplore.exe files running and getting bigger, up to 500,000K. By shutting down the biggerst one I had immediate improvement in speed, but sometimes this would shut down the Internet connection. I was constantly having to shut down one of these files. I switched to Firefox and what a huge improvement! It consistently runs on about 1 ...

What Is The Difference Between A USB-1 And USB-2 Foot Pedal? Please Help!
Feb 28, 2013

Hi everyone!  I used to transcribe from home but stopped about 3 years ago.  I sold all my equipment and now need to purchase a foot pedal again.  I am seeing different ads for USB1 and USB 2 and I'm afraid I will buy the wrong one.  Can anyone tell me what the difference is and which one is used more often?  Thank you! ...

Pathology Transcription - What Is The Difference?
Apr 10, 2014

Can anybody tell me how different it is typing for a pathology practice versus clinic transcription and hospital transcription? I am considering applying for a pathology transcription position. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. ...

Coding :: Difference In The CCA, CPC, CCS As Far As Marketability?
May 05, 2014

Can someone explain the difference in the CCA, CPC, CCS as far as marketability? Is there one that employers look for or favor over an AHIMA certification versus an AAPC certification? I just started a job as a coder 5 months ago working clinic and am looking to advance my career in coding. Thanks  ...

What's The Difference Between Acute Care
Oct 13, 2014

Is one considered more difficult than the other? Different platforms used? ...