A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTSO's - why do none of you ever post your CPL you are paying - when posting open positions? SM

Posted: Dec 31, 2013

Seriously.   Why do you withhold this information?   Would it not make more sense to post that right at the start so people know if they are even willing to test with you?

It wastes your time, doesn't it, to review tests and resumes if your pay rate is not acceptable to people?    Or it wastes someone else's time to grade the tests,  then wastes the hiring person's time to review the information and make an offer if someone knows they won't take anything less than what they've decided.

I've asked this a few times over the years and never get an answer back, so I decide the company has no respect for it's MTs and I look elsewhere.   I'm really curious about this.

Would any MTSO  (large or small)  care to  honestly  answer the question - WHY do you keep your pay rate a big secret until after everyone has wasted their time on tests? 

Posting salaries - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't work for an MTSO, but here are some reasons why employers don't post salaries in advertisements - No one does, by the way. They might give a range, but that is rare.
1. Salary information is confidential.
2. People are paid differently depending on their experience. The employer might not know how much to pay you until you interview and test.
3. If people knew the salary and thought that is what everyone made, perhaps no one would apply.

Have you ever applied for an on-site job where you knew the salary when you entered the application and interview process? I think not.

"Have you ever applied for an on-site..." - Elle

[ In Reply To ..]
"... job where you knew the salary when you entered the application and interview process?"

As a matter of fact, yes. In fact, I've known beforehand how much a position paid in almost every job outside of transcription that I've ever applied for. This is not as uncommon an occurrence as you seem to think it is. A stated pay range is even more common in employment ads, at least in my area. If they don't state at least a pay range, I won't even bother with them. MT is a different entity than the outside world. The MTSOs have no incentive to state how much they will pay because chances are most of those looking would laugh and move on.

not in our area - northeast

[ In Reply To ..]
My son recently went to round three in the interview process. They skirted around ranges but it wasn't until he received a formal offer that the salary was definitively addressed.

In my other job (not MT related at all) jobs are lasted as ranges, NEVER is there a "we pay you X" in an ad. In first interviews, they always stay in the ballpark. Not until a second interview or offer is the definitive number given.

The only jobs that I see giving actual salaries may be government jobs where you are plugged into a formula but even those come with ranges most often.

So I think the assumption that it's not the way it's done in the "real" world is not an accurate assumption.

MT companies could put their rates out there. It's not because of the MT they don't, it's because of their competitors. The MTSO has a pretty cut throat gig - and I'm not talking about the big guys, they just make up their own rules. The regular MTSO has to fight to keep a place in this game.
Must be a regional thing - midwest
[ In Reply To ..]
because where I'm from they do list at least a salary range. There are those that say depends on experience and I will usually skip those or I may call and ask. If they cannot at least give a ballpark I don't trust them.

I'm not even looking for a transcription job so I am not counting them. I'm done with this business. But looking at ads for office work or hospital jobs and the like, it is actually uncommon NOT to find at least a pay range, if not the exact starting pay, listed directly in the ad... at least for the type of jobs I am qualified for.

As I said, perhaps this is a regional thing.

To all - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
I am on the west coast. Going back 30+ years, I never applied for an on-site MT job or any office job that made the salary public. I interviewed first, and then an offer was made. Most of those times I looked at the whole package, not just the salary. No one I worked with was paid the same salary, some people had seniority and were paid more than the new hires. Several times I was hired above starting salary because of my experience. In my neck of the woods, salary info is considered confidential; sharing salaries with coworkers usually causes trouble. My MT job ended a little over a year ago and I went on numerous interviews. In none of them was the salary posted in the ad and I was clueless going in. In fact, it was never discussed at all until they got ready to make an offer. I applied for jobs with MTSOs too and had the same experience. I disagree with Where's My Job. I never felt obligated to take anything I didn't want after going through the application process. I didn't realize the MT had become so exclusive that the standard HR practices no longer applied.
agree - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I recently applied for a management position with an MTSO. In my cover letter, as requested, I clearly stated my salary requirements (I wanted at least what I was making as an MT which was a good year this year). I went through a 90-minute phone call with the woman I'd be replacing. She totally indicated she thought I was perfect for the job. I needed to talk with the MTSO. Well the MTSO never even bothered to make the phone call. Turns out the job paid NO WHERE near the ballpark of my required salary. I've seen the same ad back on the other job site a couple of times now and I just want to tell people to save themselves 90 minutes of their time - cause $30k for the headaches of dealing with all they wanted simply wasnt going to cut it. They didnt even have the cajones to say it up front so I could make a "clear choice."

I agree. Jobs listed with my DOL almost all state the wage. - no message

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Baloney. There's no reason at all that these people - cant give at least a range SM

[ In Reply To ..]
instead of the lame and pathetic old "competitive wages" phrase that they all trot out when people know it's likely 7 or so, 8 or 9, 10 in rare cases.

Pay with experience. That's reasonable, but again why not at least sayso,with an idea of "x from xyz depending on account and experience" kind of thing.

If people think that's what "everyone" makes, then they dont really have to apply if it's not a wage they will accept. If you wont accept 3 cents, then dont apply for a job that states 3 to 4 cents. That should be easy to figure out for one's self.

Competitive = baloney. They all pay about the same, with maybe a difference of a quarter to a half cent, and they know it. Whoopie.

And if you, Anon2, dont work for an MTSO or are not one, how would you presume to know that this is their line of reasoning? MT is a whole game of it's own, an entirely different species than other employment.

I don't think there's any valid or logical reason these people can't post a salary range. If a real MTSO would like to speak up and explain, that would be great.

They do all pay more or less the same - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
SO why get aggravated because they don't post salaries...with a fraction of a cent difference between MTSO.

Not true with outside jobs, though. Here you might find a large pay difference even among similar or alike jobs. I've had corporation jobs where people were paid quite a different pay range for exactly identical job titles & duties.

Many of the hospitals out here on the west coast post pay ranges - Meek n Mild

[ In Reply To ..]

Just checked Universities of CA, OR, and WA hospitals' - Meek n Mild

[ In Reply To ..]
jobs boards. All post pay ranges.

They don't post it because it's SO LOW - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
They figure if a person jumps threw a bunch of hoops first - they'll be more likely to accept crummy rate. Because it's a "sunk cost" - you've already sunk so much time into it, you don't want to have "wasted" that time testing - so you take the position.

It's just because the pay is poverty wages. My opinion. One flat rate with no raises.

that's absurd - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are taking a crap paying job just because you spent time interviewing and testing for it, then sorry, you're an idiot. Have we seriously reached the point where an MT can't say- nope I'm worth more than that and keep looking?

I used to be an MTSO and had to work out what to charge a client, what to pay the MTs. Now that I work for another MTSO, I knew up front what my lowest number was so I could make what I need/want to make. Had it not been offered, I'd have moved on. I just dont get this victim mentality that because you interviewed and tested you have no choices. That's simply absurd.

Most places of business - No longer post salaries

[ In Reply To ..]
It used to be commonplace for non-MT jobs to post salaries on job ads, even in the newspaper. This is getting to be less common now, to the point where nobody does.

Back in the good old days of MT, before job applications were done online, you spoke directly to recruiter and he or she would answer all your questions upfront. You got to talk to them BEFORE they had you test (hard-copy, by the way), and it was so much more personal.

MTSOs are just big mills of slave labor now,so you can expect almost none of them to pay well. If they do, have a backup plan for when it all goes bad.

Similar Messages:

MTSO Getting Full Price And Paying 4 To MT
Jan 05, 2010

I just got a solicitation that an MTSO in Florida is for sale. It gives a breakdown of their accounts (not by name)showing how much they are charging the provider and how much they are paying the MT. For VR, they are getting 11 to 11.5 cpl and only paying the MT 4 cpl. FYI ...

? ABOUT PAYING TAXES AS AN IC VS. AN MTSO EMPLOYEE.
Jul 29, 2011

I am trying to decide whether to work as an MTSO employee or an IC. If I choose IC, what percentage of self-employment, FICA, Social Security, and Medicare taxes will I be paying on (on the average) on my gross monthly income? I know that ICs make more cpl, but will the taxes I pay be more and, therefore, not worth it? Your input would be greatly appreciated!   ...

Info Needed From Anyone Who Reported MTSO For Not Paying Overtime Please.
Oct 17, 2010

What was the process you went through?  I would guess you most likely would contact the labor board.  Was that your state or the state of the MTSO main office?  I would think they would ask for my timesheets, which I have kept.  Did you mail things to an address the labor board gave you and deal with one investigator? What was the outcome of your case?  How long did it take to get the matter resolved and receive your back pay for all the overtime? I know I pr ...

Tax Question. I Got Done Working For A Small MTSO Last January But She Was Late In Paying Me The La
Dec 26, 2009

so I did not get the checks until sometime in January/Feb.  She never sent my 1099 on time when I worked for her so I doubt I will even get one this year unless she decides to say she paid me more than she really did (which I would not put past her).  Do I have to claim the money she paid me in 2009 even though I should have received it in 2008??  With the two paid in 2009 that should have been paid in 2008 ($488.25) and the two that were supposed to be paid in 2009 ($418.25).&nbs ...

Post Below About MTSO That Expects MT To Lie On
Oct 27, 2011

absolutely no reponses to the question of what are the MTs of that company doing to stop it.  And THAT is exactly why the MTSO is getting away with this.  So typically female.  Easier to let yourself be stolen from than to have a confrontation (gasp.  Yes, the C word.  You thought the C word was something different, didnt you) with someone about an illegal situation. ...

Cardioscribes - India MTSO - Why Are They Allowed To Post? Sm
Mar 22, 2010

Their ad even boasts about offshore work.  "This position will include editing VR files, MT files, and offshore files - all through the same software. " See link. Surprised the moderators have not dumped the ad or is that all a thing of the past here at MTStars? http://forum.mtstars.com/207366.html ...

Few Weeks Ago, Was A Post About MTSO Late With Checks
Aug 09, 2012

bad weather was only an excuse for why there is no work. ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

Paying For Course
May 28, 2013

Has anyone found any type of loan to pay for your coding programs at Andrews or Career Step that has lower payments than the school payment plans? I'm not saying their price is unreasonable. I just can't afford the payments or to pay outright.   Thanks, Kat ...

We Will All End Up Paying For Benchmark KB Etc!!!!
Mar 11, 2010

So we are all expecting to get the Benchmark KB etc etc....but did anyone but me notice that it says for 2010? I will bet that that means we will have it free for the remainder of 2010 and then have to pay something to keep it after 2010. ...

SS Paying Early
Jan 21, 2011

Waiting with baited breath for someone to repost all of the SS pays early testimonies.  cracking me up - its always good to laugh uncontrollably. anyone ever read a P&P manual? ignorance is bliss.  ...

Paying To Being An MT - Worth It?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello forum users! I am currently very interested in the MT field.  I am a fast typist, excellent speller, I have a good grasp of grammar, etc.  I am eyeing a course offered online, it seems professional and excellent and all that.  The whole thing seems perfect for me!  I would like to work from home and make my own hours while doing this. However, I recently spoke to a neighbor who is an MT, and she is losing her job to a machine.  She also claims that her MT friend ...

Any Companies Paying 9 Cpl Or Above? Sm
Oct 05, 2011

I've been looking at the job ads and have noticed a trend of very low cpl being offered.  Are there still any companies out there paying 9 or above?  I'm tired of wasting my time testing for companies only to find out during the interview process that they're only willing to pay 7 or 8 cpl.  Thanks! ...

Is The Q Paying Every Other Friday Now?
Dec 27, 2011

It used to be twice a month so I'm wondering if the every other Friday is true?  TIA ...

Is 3-T Paying For Windows 7 Pro?
Oct 16, 2012

I have to pay for it and yet others hired for 3-T say the company is paying for it.  Interesting.... ...

You'd Think They Would Get Tired Of Paying So Much UE
Jan 20, 2013

Wouldn't that give somebody in payroll or human resources a CLUE that there is a problem? ...

Not Paying For Spaces
Feb 04, 2013

I've seen it posted in various threads that companies are not paying for typing spaces. I can't get my head around that. What's their rationale? It's a keystroke, just like any letter or number. ...

Best Paying Jobs
Mar 01, 2014

I have been a working MT since 1989.   I make $400-500 a week.   I work approximately 6 hours  a day for this.    Is this an accurate pay?    I would like to hear from other MTs and what are the best paying companies to work for.    ...

Paying Taxes As An IC?
Feb 24, 2015

I recently started working as an independent contractor for a transcription company and understand that I have to take care of the tax side of it myself. I'm new to this and am not sure what I need to do as far as paying taxes go. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

FUTURENET TECH NOT PAYING
Jan 28, 2011

Did anyone else get the run around from the accounting department at FutureNet Tech today?   They normally pay every other Friday but when no deposit showed up and I inquired, the accounting department first said it would be a little later that normal then when pressed further for exactly when should I expect the pay I have been promised (promised to be paid today!) I was told it would be available tomorrow.   This is not a good sign and while I would rather like to believe t ...

Not Paying For Spaces...how Many Other Companies Now Do This?
Jun 28, 2011

My company is no longer including spaces in the line count.  The line rate has gone up a bit, but not enough to compensate for that loss in the character count. (My line count  has dropped drastically.)  Are other companies going to this new method of compensation?  I know several years ago, when I first starting MT, there was a lot of "stink" about some companies only counting "black" characters, and those were the companies everyone stayed away from.  Ju ...

Highest Paying Companies?
Nov 07, 2011

Hi MTs, Does anyone have information on the hightest paying companies?  9, 10, 11, 12 cpl?  Thanks for your input.  $20 to $25 an houir?  Is it true that voice editing is the pits? ...

Paying A Company To Work For Them?
Mar 05, 2012

I have never heard of this before.  They take money out of every paycheck (no matter how long you work for them) to pay for licensing fees?  What's up with this? ...

Exactly WHEN Did They Stop Paying Holidays?
Jun 04, 2012

I was hired last December.   I could have sworn the recruiter said "7 paid holidays" and 25% pay increase (1 cpl increase - big friggin whoop) for working a holiday.  ...

Where Are The Good Paying Positions?
Jun 29, 2012

I did not spend 35 years doing transcription to take a job paying 5, 6 or 7 cpl.  I would rather be a greeter at Walmart than to sink this low.  What the devil is happening in the transcription world.  It seems like all MTSOs are going bonkers. ...

Fox Transcribe And Not Paying After Termination
Jul 16, 2012

GRRRRR!!!! Just venting about this company and their lack of communication and not paying in a timely manner.  Last week, I did approximately 4-5 jobs for them.  One was EXTREMELY difficult and probably the job that got me termated.   Pay was supposed to be in today via Paypal.  Called the office and spoke to "M," whom of course, gave me the same "song and dance" that he pretty much just handled clients.  Sent an email to tech support, trying to get answers to no av ...