A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New career. - MT56

Posted: Apr 02, 2013

How many of you are pursuing a new career. I can't live on the money I make from MT, and I don't know if I can do this until I retire. I have been studying gemology, trying to get into estate jewelry.

I want to go back to school, however, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I dont know what to do. The logical would be medical assistant, but I just dont feel safe doing anything medical.

I love photography, but I dont think there is money there.

I am scared to death.

same here - in same boat

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 63 and since they changed the age for full retirement to 67, I now have to wait 4 more years to qualify. This "job" is not going to last that long. I have skills, yes, but at my age, nobody will hire me anyway. I am also scared to death. You are not alone. Too old for school. Don't want to work at McDonalds or Walmart because I am better than that, and all costs money anyway, which I no longer have, or the time to learn a new "trade."

Here is What I'm Going to Do - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to start drawing my SS at 62. One can make up to $15,100 per year working, without getting taxed on the SS. Figure out your numbers. And if the truth be known, the main reason I am taking my SS at 62 because gosh darn, the thing is going broke.

You can get a few more years out of MT... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You really can. This profession is not going away as quickly as some will have you think. Yes, there have been many changes, but you can still make a living at it. Hang in there.
But why would anyone in their right mind, and with - bills to pay, WANT to stay in MT longer?
[ In Reply To ..]
Things are NOT going to get better. Only worse. Why would anyone want to prolong their years of being grossly underpaid and exploited?
Why stay in MT? - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Because someone in their 60s is probably going to go to school for a year or two, get out and start hitting the job market. I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but most employers don't want to hire a 62-year old a couple of years away from retirement, unless it's for a part-time or per diem job. Starting over at 60 and working one's way up the ladder is not too realistic, and it's a tough job market in all occupations. I'm almost 59 and had big plans of starting over as a coder but ended up doing something MT-related instead. I'm not grossly underpaid and when this job ends I'll probably just take early retirement.
I have been doing a lot of soul-searching - about this
[ In Reply To ..]
lately. I am fortunate to work for a company with accounts that have plenty of work, and I can honestly say that I like my accounts. The pay is about average, but I'm never out of work, so it's dependable. The insurance is fantastic, and as my spouse is self-employed, the premium I pay vs. what he would have to pay means a HUGE difference in net pay. I have been here long enough to have accumulated a generous amount of paid leave every year. I don't need a car, so that saves me conservatively about $200 a month. Since extra hours are pretty much offered at my job every day, time I would have to spend commuting can be spent typing instead, and getting paid for it. For security and sanity, I have a part-time "outside" job close to home, relating to a hobby I am passionate about. They love having me as many hours as I can spare, and it breaks up my day and helps me remember how to interact with other humanoids. Between the 2 jobs, I grossed in the mid $30s last year. It's not what I once made straight typing, but it's enough to know I can support myself independently should the need arise. My work-related expenses are nil, so that factors into net pay as well. I did the math once, and in my situation a $12/hr MT job is equal to about a $15/hr outside job, not an easy thing to find around here without some additional training and starting all over again, and at this point in my life I really don't want to do that. I realize my situation isn't applicable to everybody but just wanted to say there are options in the middle, if leaving MT completely isn't really an option.
a few more years - yellowcat
[ In Reply To ..]
Just when I think speech wreck is getting alot better and they are going to try to pay us 2 cents a line, I get a slew of drafts that I might as well just retype. Then "they" are always rolling out another new and improved platform that just makes a bigger mess of things. And now this "predictive" data. . . where it tries to guess at the normal the doc would insert. The way I see it, speech rec does a lot of guessing. Doctor mumbling, just take a shot and type something. At any rate, I digress. On the one hand I agree that editors aren't going away in the next 6 months but I'm also preparing to get out of this field when the time comes. If I understand this correctly when Obamacare gets fully rolled out in 2014 the guvmint is going to stop paying incentives to hospitals to use the EMR. Who knows what will happen then. One can only hope and pray these MTSOs are painting themselves right into a corner.

Full retirement age for you: 66, not 67 - Almost gave me a heart attack !

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi. I'm the same age as you, 63. Will be 64 in 3 months. Full retirement age for us is 66. Just double-checked it on the SSA site. I hope this good news makes your night! :)
above message for IN SAME BOAT - Heart attack
[ In Reply To ..]
/

go for it - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you should work on the photography. If it's something you love, then it won't feel like work. Start out part time, keep your day job at first, and maybe eventually you can make enough doing that to turn it into your full-time gig. I wish I could do something "fun" to make money, but I don't have a creative bone in my body, so I just keep typing away.

Good luck!

I want to go back to school too, but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have no idea how I would work so I can pay my bills, go to school and raise my child. I wake up at 4:30 a.m. every single day and work until about 10 p.m. to make only 100 bucks a day. I'm literally logging on and off that entire time waiting for work to come in. How could I go to school and do that? Maybe just take out some school loans to pay my bills. I really want to be a nurse bad as I'm hating MTing.

Back to school - FutureNurse

[ In Reply To ..]
If you really want to go back to school, I would recommend researching what is available. I have been an MT for 8 years now, but I am also finishing up my 6th semester in school and should be starting nursing school this fall. I just cannot make enough typing to make it worth my time anymore.

School loans - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
You cannot take out school loans to pay bills, the money is paid directly to the school.

no, that is grants - you get the loan money

[ In Reply To ..]
Been there, paid that back, spent it how I wanted.
Lending agencies - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
It must depend on the lending agency. My money was earmarked for school and it was not a grant, it was a student loan. The checks were sent directly to the school. I would think they would frown upon loaning someone money to pay bills if they thought they were spending it on an education, you do have to state the purpose of the loan. Regardless, you're still going to be in debt.

Where there's a will, there's a way... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It may start with having to get a new job with better hours. Even if you went to school part time and it took you 4 years to earn your associate's degree in nursing instead of 2, you would have a whole new happy life when you're done with school. It took my sister 6 years to earn her associate's in nursing. She was 19, single, working full time as a medical secretary, and taking care of her son. Now 10 years later into her career, she is making $40+ per hour as an RN and has job security.

I'm 42 with two kids, working crazy erratic hours, like you, so I'm going to start school online for coding through a community college in my town. I hear good and bad about coding, but I've talked to people in my area about it, and they tell me coders will be in high demand, especially when they start using ICD-10 next year.

Part-time, anything - SassyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't been able to live on my MT income for years but after the last paycut and company buy out, I knew things would only get worse, and they have. I started applying for anything and finally landed a part-time job at a local hospital. At least I can do that and work part-time as an MT until something full-time opens up, hopefully at the hospital since it's close to home and the pay is decent. Good luck.

Part-time at a hospital? - WombatofDOOM

[ In Reply To ..]
What type of work did you get at the hospital? I'm edging up on 60 and need to explore some options.

Lol, love your moniker, wombat of doom - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I would like ot go back to school but... - SBH

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot afford it. My husband makes too much money for any assistance. Every since our pay cuts we are in debt, because we are basically living off his salary. I want to be a Physical Therapist Assistant, and that would require 8 hour a day clinicals for 5 weeks at the end of the study. I don't know how I would work and do that too. Plus I would have to travel an hour one way to get to school.

I'm still not sure what I'll be doing, but in the - meantime, Ive gone back to school (s-m)

[ In Reply To ..]
and starting with the basics that I will need for just about ANY job out there: Word processing, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, and probably some book-keeping classes. Then, even if I decide there's a specific career I want to train for (at the not-so-young age of 64), I can at least get a decent-paying office job with the above skills that will make it possible to pay my rent while going to school part-time to learn something else. Even if I don't take the schooling that far, having solid, UP-TO-DATE office skills (something MT doesn't prepare us for) should make me flexible enough to work in just about any industry. And I hope to get just as far away from medicine as my skinny lil' fingers can take me.

I've been working on my Plan B for a while now... - FBL

[ In Reply To ..]
Just passed the state real estate exam yesterday, and am interviewing with a broker Thursday to get my license activated. His agency handles sales and property management (rental/lease) and I have told him I want to learn both.

The real estate class was only 60 hours, and minimum education required is high school diploma. I took it at the local state college.

I'm in my late 50s, so know exactly what you all mean...changing careers at this age is scary, but I want a comfortable retirement, and making less and less at MT every year is not the way to get there.

I'm going to do MT part time until I get established...that will at least pay the COBRA premiums until I get new coverage. Then I'm outa here for good.

Simple plan, but it took me a couple of years to come up with it, just couldn't think of anything else to do until the light bulb came on one day. I think I was just too tired and burnt out to think straight for a long time.

Congrats on your plan B... - betsy

[ In Reply To ..]
Good idea, the real estate license. I'll be starting nurse's aide classes finally this Saturday. Not my first choice as an occupation but not many hours or expense involved and looks like I'd at least be employed for the foreseeable future judging by job postings. There are many places close by me, another plus. I don't think I'm going to miss MT all that much. Also heard back a few odd-ball part-time jobs I'd applied for a few months ago, a dry cleaner's and Meijer's, so I'm feeling better slowly but surely. It all will help pay the mortgage.

Another good idea! I think we all have one buried deep in - FBL

[ In Reply To ..]
our brains somewhere; each of us just needs to sit quietly and come up with the right idea for our own unique situations. I also did a lot of praying for the gift of discernment, to recognize the right idea when it finally did come to me. Good luck with your classes!

COBRA? Yikes! - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You should be able to find something much cheaper than COBRA. I got my own health coverage thru an organization called HAA (Health Advocates Alliance). You become a member (membership fee was I think 5 bucks) and then you are eligible to join their group health plan. I've got a pretty good rate, way better than COBRA. When I went from IC to an employee job, I still had a better rate on my own. I'm sure glad I kept it, too, because that job didn't work out (NJA all the time) so when I found another IC job, I didn't have to worry about health insurance.

Try them or shop around. I think COBRA is the biggest ripoff out there.

COBRA - Under insured

[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't afford COBRA either, but when choosing a plan one also needs to look at the coverage - I found nothing as good as my employer's policy, which is why the cost is greater. I looked into that insurance alliance you mentioned. For me, their rates are no better than what I was able to do on my own.
good for you! - MTMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The point I was making was that there are way better options than COBRA. I think some people just aren't aware that they can actually get their own insurance, and not have to pay COBRA's astronomical prices or wait for an employer to provide it for them. (Actually, I never really understood why it's an employer's responsibility to provide health insurance; used to be a perk that some companies offered to get good employees... now it's expected. After all, they don't pay our car or home insurance.)

Anyway, glad you were able to find a decent rate.

FBL - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to say a big CONGRATULATIONS and wish you well in your new career!

Thank you! Signed on with a broker Friday, and will - FBL

[ In Reply To ..]
be writing the contract for my first listing tomorrow. Off and running! Still scared to death though LOL.

The biggest zing so far is getting back out in the real world...it IS still out there! Business being conducted by and between grownups, who knew!

Just to point out something about - Going to school

[ In Reply To ..]
I wanted to mention this because I see so many posters here who sound as if they think you have to go to the school, as in GO THERE. In person.

I see it with posters who look only at a community college near them or who mention how far they'll have to drive.

Colleges are big into online courses now. You can do loads of things totally online. In fact, it's getting rare to find in-person classes. Nursing and some hands-on fields might be an exception, although many of their classes ARE online.

Online is a lot different because you do not have to drive to or sit in classes. That saves a lot of time and aggravation.

You don't have to accommodate a class show-up-in-person schedule or sit there when you are dead tired.

You don't have to cozy up to an instructor, act interested, or participate in extracurricular activities.

You don't even have to go to a school in your state, although some schools offer in-state tuition to online students regardless of where they live.

Most of all, you do not have to be "not working" in order to go to school full-time. Many, many students can do both. It is absolutely not necessary to take just one or two classes at a time. You just have to organize yourself. If you can do your classwork from home, you can study instead of driving around all over.

So, if you have been hesitating to go to school because of GOING to school, maybe this will give you hope.

Education has changed! It's more accessible now. Much more.

This is very true, but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I really want to be a nurse, but that is not an online program for obvious reasons. There are some basic classes I can take online, but the majority of the classes are hands on.

new career - yellowcat

[ In Reply To ..]
Kudos to all of you. It really is heartening to see "us" starting to think outside the box. My entire attitude toward MT has changed tremendously since starting school again. So I'm just taking 1 or 2 classes a semester, I'm networking with a whole 'nother group of thinkers and it is refreshing. I grade papers and do some filing one day a week. I work 2 mornings a week at the elementary school kitchen. Last week I got paid to stand outside the library and take a census. You'd be surprised at the opportunities that present themselves when you get out of the house and take a look at the real world again. Most of the 99% of us are pretty much in the same boat and there IS life after MT! You'll find something that works for you, just hang in there :-)

yellowcat - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for such an encouraging and uplifting post. I could not help noticing the difference between your post and those of others (in denigrating tones) who tell MTs what they "should" do because the profession has gone south. You gave positive, concrete ideas and honest encouragement. You sound like someone I would like to know!

I so don't want to go back to school - see inside

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a bachelor's degree and 50 hours over that - all a long time ago. Back when I was young I was always taking classes! and now 30 years later I still don't want to do it anymore. Totally burned out on school. I just reapplied for my dream job working for the medical examiner's office. Every time I see that job posted, I reapply. So far I haven't heard a word out of them. Maybe this time! I brushed up my resume a little bit. Right now that's the only job I'd leave MT for, because my MT situation at the moment is not terrible, which is about the best an MT situation can be right, not terrible?

Similar Messages:

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

MT Career
Jul 21, 2010

Just doing a little survey here:  Do you think the medical transcriptionist is becoming more and more obsolete?  I have been in the field for a long time and have already lost a couple of jobs due to technology or work being contracted out.  It seems to be the one job I was always able to find as there was also a need, especially if you're experienced.  Nowadays, we're talking VR, editors, etc. etc. and the pay is not getting any better.  Personally, I have alw ...

My MT Career Is Done.
Jun 30, 2011

I am just a little fish in a big pond, very rarely posted here, but loved to read the posts!  I felt though I had to post tonight as I am very sad. For the last 15 years, I was an MT, but tonight was my last shift and typed my last report - a discharge summary. Same thing I started on all those years ago.  My account is going VR on July 1, and I was told my wage would go from 9 cents a line to 4 cents.  No matter how they crouch it in rah-rah terms (increased produc ...

Career Help
Jul 13, 2012

I am a 47-year-old woman with a BS degree in management who has always wanted to work in the medical field. I began a training program for transcription but have since learned that field isn't promising at this point. I am analytical and have worked in accounting-type positions for many years, and I think I would enjoy coding. From the perspective of someone with experience in the coding field, would you recommend coding as a career or would you suggest possibly RHIA? I would appreciate ...

Almost On To New Career! Bye MT (soon)
Oct 08, 2012

I am about 90% done with my preemployment process at a county position in a neighboring town.  It will not be too soon for me start as we got word today that we lost one of the biggest contracts they had and they wont be getting a new one until February. So let me tell you just how thankful I am that I am not going to have to deal with these issues of MT anymore.  I will be moving on to an employer where I am fully vested at 8 years!  I am 40, so essentially I could retire then! & ...

Considering MT Career... Should I Do It?
Oct 12, 2012

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  I am a military wife, so I'm hoping to start a career where I can work from home.  For now I would only want to work part-time since I have a young child at home, but it would be nice to have the option to work full-time someday.  I've been thinking about becoming a MT for a while now, but lately I've been discouraged because it looks like the job growth has slowed considerably in recent years.  I'm looking into the Car ...

New MT Looking For New Career!!! HELP!
Apr 08, 2013

Well, I wish I would have looked at this forum before going to MT school.  I tried working for two different MT companies.  First one I hated the platform/pay and the second one I really liked the account and platform but my work wasn't "clean enough" and they let me go after two weeks. I think I got canned because I questioned some QA redlines and was told I was wrong (no, no comma.  Yes, you put a comma.  That's hypenated.  No, not hypenated.)  I even ha ...

Career Map
Aug 03, 2013

Here is a link to a very cool career map on AHIMA website.  You click on one career in entry, mid, advanced or master level and it will connect you to all the paths you can go.  It also shows emerging areas. Just what we have all been talking about mapped out! http://www.hicareers.com/CareerMap/    ...

Second Career
Nov 06, 2013

I was just wondering if anyone had found another work-from-home career to go to after leaving the MT "world?" The way this industry is going, I'm just tired of it all and would like to find something else I can do from home and make good $$ at itI I have started on something of a new career but it will take some time to get up, get going and start making $$ at it.  I am designing cat "trees" or furniture that is more attractive and way more easy to clean than what is on the market out ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

U.S. Career Institute
May 09, 2010

Hmmmm...Interesting, was reading about Andrews School and M-Tech.  I looked them up online and they DO seem to be THE schools to go to.  Seems as though Career Step is in 3rd or so?  How would anyone place U.S. Career Institute?  I'm sure this another matchbox school, but do you think it's one that employers run from? Just curious, thanks if you can help.  And Happy Mother's Day to all those great mom's out there, hope you had a great day! :) ...

Anyone Know About Career Step?
May 12, 2010

wonder if anyone here, or if anyone knows of anyone who utilized Career Step for either their MT program or their coding program ...

What Happened To MT Career?
Jun 04, 2010

I am reading on this board and seeing that people from Medquist are being let go, places are being bought out, hospitals are selling in-house to the outside services now.  The services charge a decent amount of money to these hospitals, but we see pennies of it.  What is sad is that what we do is very important, yet we are treated like all we do is type words (and anyone who has done ESL docs know it isn't just words - it's format, it's incorrect pronunciation, inco ...

Alternative Career
Jun 15, 2010

Hello, All: While helping my son research possibilities for his career choice, we found out that ultrasonography only requires two years of education and the median pay is around $40K-$50K.  You don't have to be licensed and can take the job anywhere in the country.   Not bad, huh?  Wanted to pass that information along to any frustrated MTs who are considering getting out.  I woudln't mind doing that myself.  Dental hygienists make even more and also o ...

Possible Career Change
Jun 25, 2011

I am considering taking classes for MT as I am ready for a change in my life. As I am looking into MT I have come across several questions that I want to ask to save myself the stress, etc. of preparing to start something that may not be what I am looking for. I see the different schools listed that others have recommended and yet I also see where my local community college offers course in MT. In your opinion would the courses there be suffice to work as a MT? For those working as MT, what do ...

Career Step MT And MTE
Sep 13, 2010

Hi, I haven't enrolled yet, but I've pretty much decided on Career Step (mostly because of price!). I was wondering if anyone has any input as to whether it's better to take the MT course or the MTE course. Do you need the extra editing experience? I'm sure any extra is helpful, but is it necessary to have the editing training to get an MT job with an online company? Thanks in advance for any info! ...

Information On MT Career
Oct 04, 2010

I am planning to enroll in a MT distance learning school and one of the requirements is to get information about the career from at least 2 transcriptionist. What is MT all about? What does it take to succeed? What is the income potential? ...

Confusion Over Mt Career
Nov 12, 2010

my company is laying off and since i will qualify for unemployment, my new plan is to finish school in an MT program. i have tried 2x in the past but could never set aside the time/money to do so. now i have found this board, and am a little confused by some of the comments. i had no intentions of working from home but rather a hospital or office setting. i have seen job postings around town and a government site says something to the effect of 11% rise through 2018. so with all that said, how ...

Career Step???
Mar 04, 2011

Does anyone know if in-state tuition for career step is $350???  That's what they told me. ...

Considering MT Career And Have A Few Questions
May 06, 2011

Hi!  I have never posted here before but have been reading several of the posts and found them really informative.  I hope my questions will not be too redundant.  I tried to see if they were asked in the last 3 months and couldn't find them, so if they were, I am sorry. I have a friend who graduated from Career Step and really liked it.  I am considering a possible career in MT, but am not sure.  I have noticed it seems very difficult to break into without experie ...

Need Some Career Advice Pls.
Aug 02, 2011

I have been in this business over 20 years.  It is really all I have ever done or know.  I realize that this industry is quickly going down the tubes and so I have been looking for other work in other industries. The problem is, I seem to be stuck with the feeling of fear of change.  Fear that I know MT so well and I will fail in a different position even though I am qualified.  It has been keeping me from actually applying for any of these positions.  I know its probab ...

IMPORTANT! New Career For MTs And To Get Out
Aug 18, 2011

I have been enrolled in college for the last year while still working.  Found out today about a whole new carrer that has just come out and being created because of EHR/EMR and now being offered and will become even more popular. My teachers in college informed me of a meeting they had in the city where I live.  This meeting was held with physicians, PA's, NP's, MT's, Medical Assistance, nurses, etc.  Because of EHR/EMR, most doctor's (about 78%) do not ...

Need To Know The Reality About An MT Career
Oct 26, 2011

I am considering going through training to become an MT and have been reading the posts on this forum for several weeks now. Before I make a decision I would like some opinions from you all who know this industry. Specifically, I would be looking to do MT on a part time basis. I am a stay- at- home mom with two kids in elementary school. My questions: 1) How realistic is it to find a part time job in MT (after training) where I can work my own hours from home? It seems like a lot of ...

Do You All Think This Is A Dying Career?
Dec 23, 2011

I just basically would like some honest opinions on this subject. ...

Transitioning To A New Career
Jan 26, 2012

Anybody else switching careers right now?  I have started a training course for a new career and it is EXTREMELY difficult to continue with MT.  I just dread sitting at the computer, its like 8 hours of torture.  I went through this before when I changed careers to MT.  I cried everyday until I could leave my previous job.  I am not crying everyday now, not yet anyway.  Maybe its grief, leaving a job that I once loved, letting go, moving on.  I am considering c ...

How Are YOU Marking The End Of Your MT Career?
Feb 09, 2012

Yes, joyfully, I am getting OUT.  Big transition.  But, I'm realizing - it's a milestone - and I feel the need to mark it in some way, or commemorate it, or honor it, or SOMETHING.  You know, (humor alert) a fake funeral where I bury my work computer, or get a trinket for a charm bracelet - I'm not coming up with any good ideas. Anyone else getting out, marking this milestone in some way? ...

So I Was Researching A Different Career And - Sm
Feb 23, 2012

one of them was medical assisting.  I went to the American Association of Medical Assistants website and had a bit of deja vu...  There are 4 certifications one can get - CMA, RMA, CCMA, and NCMA.  They, of course, were kind enough to point out the differences and I swear I was reading the AHDI site, especially the part about membership dues and recertification CEUs.  You'd think an MA was an MA, but I guess not.  I originally was just trying to research whether or ...

At The End Of My MT Career. Have A Bit Of A Quandry
May 23, 2012

though.  I have a chance at a job being an administrative assistant in a town an hour away.  I am absolutely terrified!!  The drive is 46 minutes each way.  I am not sure I can do that 5 days a week.  But then I think of the PTO and major bennies, not to mention being paid triple what I was paid at my last MTSO (who treated me rudely).  I know I should go for it, just not sure I can make that leap:( ...

Looking Into Career Change From MT
Jul 10, 2012

I've been doing medical transcription for 17 years now.  It used to be a good field to get into and good pay, but as the medical transcription field seems to be slowly phasing out and it's getting harder to make a decent living as we are getting lower wages and less work, I've been thinking about going back to school and getting a bachelor's in health informatation managment or administration.  I already have an assosciate's degree, but I would like to know wha ...

My Company/career Has
Oct 18, 2012

Work types are being sent to India, which lessens our work load.  Accounts with good dictators are being sent to India.  They outsource to other companies, too.  Also, all of my accounts are overflow.  I am finding myself having to start later and later in the day when work is available. I have been doing this for over 15 years and have seen firsthand the direction this job is going.  Pay cuts, increased insurance rates.  It doesn't balance itself out in any w ...