A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What happened to MT career? - mtmom

Posted: Jun 04, 2010

I am reading on this board and seeing that people from Medquist are being let go, places are being bought out, hospitals are selling in-house to the outside services now.  The services charge a decent amount of money to these hospitals, but we see pennies of it.  What is sad is that what we do is very important, yet we are treated like all we do is type words (and anyone who has done ESL docs know it isn't just words - it's format, it's incorrect pronunciation, incorrect grammer, improper English, etc. that we have to fix).  MTs used to be paid for the knowledge we are required to have, yet now I find I can work at White Castle and get paid the same (if not more!) than what I make now (A whopping .04/line)!  What happened to our careers and what can we even do about it?  On top of that, bad reports make for doctors making incorrect decisions based upon what they read.   What about the patients? 

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

MT Career - rainwoman

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's one idea (they're talking about call centers, but they could do apply it to outsourced medical records)
http://www.taxgirl.com/schumer-pushes-call-center-tax/

MT career - better posting of link - rainwoman

[ In Reply To ..]
didn't put the link in the right place before

This same tax should be applied to Medical Transcription, - as well! (Only it should be higher). nm

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Some companies have really gone bad, haven't they? - Thank goodness for the others

[ In Reply To ..]
My bet is that the companies that are looking bad to us probably won't be around in a few years. There are still some good people running some good companies though, so be sure to try those before you throw in the towel.

my company - mtmom

[ In Reply To ..]
I have some complaints about the company I work for (such as pay), but my company I work for shines in comparison to companies others are working for, such as Medquist looking at other's posts. I'll just be happy with where I'm at because I am sure it isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Amen! - Im appreciating my MTSO more every second

[ In Reply To ..]
I do believe the heartbroken posts of the MQ'ers being called and terminated and the posts of the bullied MTs at Transcend are burned into my brain now. I knew these places were bad, but I had no clue just HOW bad until I read it for myself.

My heart goes out to each and every MQer and Transcender, whether they are the newly terminated or the ones awaiting their turn for that almightly phone call.

I do hope they realize how much sympathy and heartbreak we share with them as they go through this. What's that expression about "There goes me"? Could be any one of us if fate bent a little to the right or left.

I'm seeing a bunch of classy (presumably) ladies taking it on the chin with dignity despite their heartbreak.

WHAT other ones? Ive been looking for one of those - for 2 years, now, with no luck.

[ In Reply To ..]
And some of the meanest and most unscrupulous MTSOs (we all know who they are...) have been around for quite a while. Mainly because they cheat, they underpay, they harrass their employees, and because very few people in this country know this is happening.

I would love to escape the meanie I work for, but so far haven't found anything even slightly better. It's like they were all cut from the same cookie-cutter.

It's a 2-way street with the good ones and the respect goes both ways - A Win Win Situation

[ In Reply To ..]
They seem to keep people because they treat them right. As with any job, it's work. Nothing is perfect. You won't find us naming the names of the better MTSOs though because we don't want people drowning them with applications. Sometimes I'm tempted to tell some of the nicer people on here, but that isn't possible without risking getting some of those more immature ones, and I wouldn't do that to any company I like and respect.

What happend can easily be summed up in one word: - "G-R-E-E-D". (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]

GREED - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely! As it has been said, "the love of money is the root of all evil." Never has this been more true than what we have seen happen to the MT industry.

It's greedy in some areas more than others - Pick your MTSO carefully

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Thats why my next move will be to a small, local MT - company. The too-big, too-greedy, -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
"McTranscription" companies like the Q, etc. are the cancers of the transcription industry. I'd like to see them all get excised, dissected, and permanently eradicated.
What I'm saying though is, all of the big ones are not bad just because they are big - Pick your MTSO carefully
[ In Reply To ..]
Being big doesn't make an MTSO bad. In fact, my favorite MTSO is one of the largest. If I were judging them all, I would make a table and put them all on there. I wouldn't even care about the amount they are paying per line. What I would like to know is, how much are some of their top MTs making every month after using their platform, their incentive and bonus plans, and their accounts.

With some of these companies the systems are so much better that even with a lower lines per minute, it's possible to make more. The opposite is also true.

The size of a company has nothing to do with if they are good or bad. There are just as many bad medium and smaller MTSOs percentage wise as there are in the large companies. I shouldn't say that, because that's one of the secrets people on here are always trying to find out from the MTs who love their jobs when others say it's all downhill.

mt carer down the tube unfortunately - meme

[ In Reply To ..]
A few years ago I posted something I wrote that I called the downward spiral of the MT - I think it applies even more now with voice recognition so am posting it again with an update as to what I am doing at the end - it is very long and I apologize.

I apologize for this being long but I have reached the point where I am ready to be finished with medical transcription and this is my catharsis. I started my journey in this field in the early 1980s, being self taught and working on an IBM typewriter with correction tape. At the time we thought that was the greatest thing we could ever come across. I actually made good money transcribing on the typewriter with my neat little Dictaphone that played cassette tapes ( I even transcribed from the old belts). Then we moved on to computers, I think it was with WP51 and an "expansion" program, wow, how great was that. Then someone that was a little more computer savvy decided to improve the system and then the downward trend started. Put in the demographics so they feed, be they right or wrong, the transcriptionist will fix them. Then along comes the internet connections and we no longer need the cassettes, the people who have never transcribed decided that was a good deal, overall it is but the quality a lot of times is much worse than the cassettes. While all these wonderful changes are taking place, the MT is still being compensated at a rate pretty similar to what they always have because they can now produce more, thus making more. Then comes the larger companies, who have to have management, middle management, lower management, supervisors, team leaders, trainers, sales managers, sales people, QA managers, QA editors, QA mentors, computer tech supervisors, computer techs, very few who actually work a weekend, all the people in between the MT and the upper management, while the MT continues to generate the income, still making pretty much the same. The MT has to be familiar with all specialties, all report types, the AAMT BOS, Vera Pyle, a continual need to be re-educating ourselves, yet no compensation comes for that. Oh, yes, some companies will pay extra for a CMT, whether you have any real knowledge or not, hire a CMT with 2 years experience or hire a seasoned transcriptionist with 30+ years, who is not a CMT and pay them the same. Then the benefits start to trickle in, which are supposed to be enticing, QA incentive, production incentive, ESL incentive, weekend and shift differential, of course, they are all tied together, if you achieve a good QA score, you have to have the production or you do not get the QA, if you work the weekend or evening, you have to produce a minimum amount of lines to qualify for the incentive, in short, probably at least 50% of the time, there is no incentive earned. But do not make any errors or your pay will be docked by some companies out there. Then comes the lowering of the wages, change from gross line to character line, but don't count spaces, header or footers, remember now, the MT has to do the demographics but we will not pay them for doing that, it is part of their job. Okay, through in some insurance for which the transcriptionist pays the equivalent of 2-3 days pay every 2 weeks for the privilege of having. Have I missed the part where the wages increased? I have over 30 years experience in transcription, I have been a QA editor, an assistant office manager, a trainer, and the majority of the time an MT, which I have always loved, yet when applying for a new position after my last employer of 15+ years, where I was still paid by the gross line and did no demographics, yet paid me very well, went under due to the big company buying them out, I am offered 8 cpl and the company offering it makes it sound like they are doing me a favor by hiring me at 8, when the newbies only get 7, wow, what kind of incentive is that. I have always had a very high QA 99-100 and always produce 275-300 lph but I am only worth 8 cpl. I am sorry if this sounds sarcastic, it is probably what about 90% of the people reading this board feel, I just decided to finally put it in writing so I would feel better and yes it does help to express my anger, disappointment, sadness about the way the MT has gone downhill, yet generating enough income to provide a really nice salary for anyone in the company who is not an MT, the MT generates the income, yet is the lowest paid. The MT does the work but they hire computer techs to set up the program, all the indians (not the kind from India) before you get to the chief to decide what the MT should be paid and yes, all the of them constantly wanting the MT to produce more and work harder, 7 days a week, very few holidays, while very few of the higher ups have to work a holiday. My team leader sent out an e-mail that she expected us to keep the account current and she would be checking in periodically over the recent holiday weekend to see how things were going. I am really saddened that the MT is so often expected to do everything required yet have very low compensation. I have decided when the company closes its doors, and I do have to move on, it probably is time for me to go elsewhere for a career. I am too old to go back to college but maybe will figure out something were I can make my nominal wage that I now make as an MT. Again, I apologize for this being so long, if it does not get deleted and if you make it this far, I applaud you for reading it all.

As a postscript since originally writing this, I have moved on, I tried ASR at a minimal 4 cpl (yeah, big wages there) and it was pathetic, transcribed more than edited due to the poor system M-modal is. Anyway have now moved on, even at my age I decided to return to school because I do have to work another 12-15 years before retiring. MT did provide me with a decent living to raise my only child and be at home but being the sole income in my family, it no longer does me justice, therefore, decided it was time after 30+ years to give it up. It really saddens me to hear some of the things going on out there with the mergers, letting the seasoned transcriptionists go, hiring everyone at such low rates because the capability is there to produce more (frankly I never found I could edit more than about 20 lines an hour more on M-Modal than I did transcribing). As long as there is a newbie waiting to get a job and will accept the peanuts the companies offer, the seasoned transcriptionists are definitely on their way out and that is really sad, we have built these companies into what they are today and are now being pushed out the door. I wish all of you luck who remain in the field, I loved transcription, my creditors did not so I had no other choice. It is possible to go back to school at any age and it is possible to move on, just very hard to do and very sad that we have to leave a job most of us do love.

I read your message and wish you the very best - Please see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you the very best in your future career. My thoughts and comments are about why some people are doing really well and others are going through something like what you described.

I know new MTs who are not taking less money and taking jobs away from more experienced MTs. They are just being hired at the going rate. I don't think that's the problem. I think MT has changed so that it no longer fits the 'old' MT, unless the older and more experienced MT wants to change. You say that you tried ASR and made no money at it. Others are doing it and making more than they were doing traditional MT. What's up with that? I think there is a difference in the MT. Some of us fit well in the new MT world and others have burned out on it and want to do something else.

I did want to make something clear though. It isn't that the newer MTs are taking all the jobs because they will work for less. They are being hired on at the going rate, if they can do the work the way the MTSO wants it done. Some older and more experienced MTs that I know just don't want to learn something as different as speech recognition. They've decided that it just isn't worth the learning time that is required to get to the point where you can make any money, and you know what? I don't blame them. I don't blame you.

We've always done it one way and now things have changed. They want us to learn to do the work we've always done in a way that seems foreign to us, and it's going to slow us down for maybe months before we get back to where we were. Sure, some MTs are saying that it didn't take months and they are already making more than they did with traditional MT, but it might, and some just don't want to do it. The feeling is that we've paid our dues already and now the rules have changed. These new whippersnappers are coming in and grabbing those jobs. Truthfully, it's because they are open to working with the new ways of doing things and some of us don't want to play a game with rules that changed right in the middle of our career.

So I wish the very, very best for you in your next career. I hope you find something you love, and something that will reward you both financially and emotionally. I'm staying with the new MT, because I think the new changes include some opportunity that are exciting to those who stay.

Me too - meme

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes I agree, it may not be that the new MT will take what is offered, they have no choice, even the older MT take what they can get right now. I did give voice recognition a try for almost a year before I decided to give it up. My line counts were never much more than transcription because of the software, not the dictators in my opinion. I definitely give it a good chance because I did not want to leave transcription but after a year, financially I had to. Thanks so much for the kind words.

Im an older MT, and the only reason I refuse to learn - SR is that it pays so little. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It has nothing to do with my age, or any fear of learning something new. The fear I have is of not being able to pay my bills, and I'm already having that problem as an MT at 8.5 cpl. If I work ASR for 3-4 cpl, and have to practically retype the report due to its inability to work right, then I'll be even worse off than I am now.

The "whippersnappers" still have to pay their bills, too. And if they're young enough to want to be starting families, how are they supposed to do that on an MT's or a speech-editor's pay?

Tell me ONE THING that you find "exciting" about the "new MT". What is there about the prospect of your pay going as low as 1 cpl to 1/2 cpl that you find worth putting up with all the crap that MTSOs throw at all of us every day? When they start wanting 100% accuracy 100% of the time, yet they also want you cranking out 500 lines per hour?

What's so wonderful and exciting about losing your benefits? One by one, they're disappearing. Most of us already work 7-day weeks. When they want even more work, for even less pay in the future, what "exciting" prospects do you have in mind for keeping a roof over your head?

And, what do you think is going to happen to all the newbies and whippersnappers, when they're no longer young and naiive? When they, too are experienced "older" workers? Do you really think MTSOs, if still being managed in the unscrupulous manner they are today, are going to hang onto THOSE "older MTs?"

And just when do you think all these changes are going to help us do more work, instead of slowing us down more and more with each change? All the speed of our PCs is useless when tied to the ball and chain that is the standard MTSO transcription platform. As it is right now with my company's quagmire of a platform, I could transcribe these reports faster with a pen and paper -- in longhand, and fancy Gothic script, than I can right now. And at only 8.5 cpl, that's translating into takehome pay each month that adds up to about $100 less than my rent.

Yeah, MT is an "exciting career, filled with limitless possibilities."

NOT.
It sounds like you are definitely ready for a change to something else - Different Viewpoint Different Resuts
[ In Reply To ..]
If I saw things the way you see them, which I don't, I would be out the MT door so fast it would make my employer's head swim.

I wish you the very best in whatever new career you choose. I hope you find something you enjoy and are passionate about.

Did I write this in my sleep last night? - oldgraydog

[ In Reply To ..]
Bravo. You said all that needed to be said. Unfortunately we did not unionize 30 years ago. If we would have, we would have jobs today. We did not, so we do not. I am also returning to school. I do not want to, but between our own shortcomings as organizers and the government shipping our work to India -- I have no choice. Thank God for unemployment benefits.

My sentiments exactly - anythingbutMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Meme - I couldn't have said it better. I have been an acute care MT for over 20 years - learned on the job. I started out making 7 cents per line (then it was a 55-character line, including spaces of course, which was the standard line length for any typed line, medical transcription or not, but somewhere along the line it jumped 10 characters to 65 - I think AAMT made that ruling at the request of the service owners). Now, if I transcribe a little longer, I just might succeed in making less than I did when I started 20 years ago. If I could add one more thing to your comprehensive account, it would be the advent of word-expander programs - when those came along, it was another incentive to drop our pay.

I've worked for so many transcription companies that my resume would be 12 pages long if I included them all.

The scenario is usually this: You (and a gazillion other people) apply for a transcription position. They want you to test and test, and then if you jump through those hoops, you may get to talk to one of the managers. They want references, background checks, etc. and possibly "2 pints of blood". If you pass all that, they'll tell you the meager pay and all their demands. So you sign on - you've asked all your questions, i.e., "is there enough work, how is the system, is there a lot of cherry-picking, etc. etc." You believe what you've been told, that everything's great, and you think "this one is going to be different." But once again you encounter the same disappointments - the down time because of the faulty system, or the system is so slow during the weekday because of the extreme amount of traffic that it's impossible to work (so the claim that "you can work anytime during the 24-hour period to get your work in" is actually "you can work anytime you want as long as it is every weekend and every weekday between the hours of 5 pm and 11 pm [you have to get off at 11 because the system is going down for maintenance] and then 4 am and 9 am). Then, if you don't get in your "quota", you are docked. (Yes, yes, you believe the hype the owner of the company gives you and so you sign a 25-page contract that has included in the fine print that you can get docked if you don't get 13,500 lines in during the pay period). This is the experience I had with my latest "job" as an independent contractor. In my most recent pay period I was docked $250.00 because I didn't reach my quota (indeed I have never been able to reach my quota) using a system that was impossible to work with. The fact is, I could work during the day and try to transcribe and end up making $9.00 an hour (if that), but I refuse to. If someone told me the truth up front, I wouldn't have taken the job. I have to give them credit in thinking this one up, though. This is the first job I've had where I actually made the money and then they took it away from me.

I look back and I, too, say "what happened to medical transcription?" It's an extremely valuable skill and one that takes years to become good at, but we're looked at as "dumb typists" with people deciding our future who have never transcribed a line of dictation in their lives (you just have to follow the money). I have QA people looking at my work who don't have half the knowledge that I have. Why do I need a QA person? I very rarely have a blank in my reports, and I care what they look like. My work is "client-ready". As Meme says, there is no real overhead for someone doing medical transcription. All that is needed to do the job is supplied by the MT, it's what she/he already knows.

But here I am, like so many others, having done this for so long, stuck by it, but now find it unworkable - still needing to work but not having the skills to do much else without going back to school, and then, what do you go back to school for? and at my age, do I really want to go back to school? I worked as a secretary before I did MT, and I've looked into secretarial jobs, but I'm not qualified because I've "pigeon-holed" myself as a medical transcriptionist. And here I am with a resume that makes me look so unstable, who will want to hire me? I'd like to say this is my last transcription job, but I'm still looking for that elusive position.

I've thought of contracting myself out to practices or hospitals on an as-needed basis when they're in a pinch.

I did speak to a lady who has a small "service". She has a couple of clients, some medium-size practices, and she has about 7 MTs working for her. She pays well, but she expects the work to be "client-ready". She does not employ QA people. She expects the work to be back on time, perhaps even early. She takes a few pennies off the top for billing and for communicating with the practices. This is the way things used to be. I wonder if we could ever get back to something like that?

I'm getting kind of long-winded here. Thanks for the opportunity to speak. This is my first time posting and I just had to respond because I've been thinking about this topic a lot as have obviously so many other people.

I think MT of the future will have different people doing it and the job itself will be different - Changing World

[ In Reply To ..]
I can visualize a scenario where many of the current MTs leave because everything is so different. Then a new crop of MTs, which may even be called something different, will come in using many of the same skills, but doing the job differently. The new crop, whatever they will be called, will be happy to have jobs, since jobs anywhere doing anything are hard to come by these days, and those who leave will be happy retired or doing something else.
Just Curious - anythingbutMT
[ In Reply To ..]
By definition, a medical transcriptionist is an allied health professional, who turns highly specialized medical reports as dictated by physicians and/or other healthcare professionals, into text format. I wonder how you would visualize the same skills being done differently.
In the future, I visualize all the docs having a computer - sm - Rocky Raccoon
[ In Reply To ..]
chip implanted in their brains. Then, as they actually do their exams, or their operations, what they're thinking will automatically be encoded onto these tiny implanted chips. Of couse, the chips and the software they work with will be so sophisticated, that they will automatically delete any bad language the doctor thinks of when he accidentally nicks a blood vessel and it spews all over everyone. It will also delete last night's porn video he's thinking about while he does that GYN exam. Then when it's time to transfer the day's cases into the EMR, all they'll have to do is stick a 3-prong plug up his nose, and the info will automatically and instantaneously be transferred to the EMR. Any doctor offsite who needs the information will only have to sit down, stick an electrical plug into a socket implanted in his ear, and dial the number on his cellphone to retrieve a patient's medical record.

Unfortunately, the future will be fraught with security breaches. Like when some beggar in a third world country finds an old PC cable in a dumpster, and for lack of anything better to do with it, sticks it in his ear while standing outside an internet cafe, hoping the attention he attracts will net him some change from passersby. Instead, he discovers he is listening to medical dictation, and each report has personal information on it that he can sell on the black market for a small fortune. And thus, another slumdog millionaire is born.
Thank you, thank you, and thank you - anythingbutMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Rocky Raccoon, for the belly laugh!! I really needed it. It sounds like the new version of the new and improved, new changing world of the new medical transcription (I don't think we've invented the new name for it yet, have we?) In the new postmodern world where truth is relative, mediocrity is the name of the game, and civility has gone out the window, and the motto is "get the other guy before the other guy gets you." Where you have a legitimate skill, and you've worked hard for years to hone your skills, and you watch the compensation you earn be whittled away by people who "have your best interests at heart and the interests of the Medical Language Profession" with ergonomic keyboards, speech recognition, fabulous word expanders (the list goes on) and the medical transcription service owners (in my opinion, some of which maybe do help but all are motivated by money). And then you have the all intrusive, all encompassing, omnipresent Government who is going to step in and solve the problem of health care (a problem they themselves have created) the same way they've solved everything else they've taken over. By the way, have you ever gone to a VA Hospital (government run) and asked if they are paperless and have the EMR up and running? I have - they'll laugh in your face. But we've all drank (drunk?) the Kool-Aid so we should be happy with what we have, just pick yourselves up by your bootstraps, keep transcribing those lines, do more and more for less and less, but make sure you leave more money for the crooks. And I'm old so it's my duty to retire, or do something else, or die (which, by the way, happens to everybody) - just get out of the way and let the "Changing Worlders" take over.

Do I sound like I'm upset? Sorry for the rant; it will be my last one. I am going to start thinking like Rocky Raccoon and laugh about it. Because really, this is true of everything in the Changing World, not just medical transcription.
Hilariously creative response Rocky Raccoon! - DJ
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Yes, all these new crop of MTs will be called something - different, alright. That word is "Indians".
[ In Reply To ..]

Your post is my experience, as well: MT isnt cutting it, - dont have other office skills because -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, was pigeonholed into the MT niche, and now I'm almost retirement age. Yet I can never afford to retire. I've thought of returning to school, even at my age, but how am I supposed to swing that, money-wise or time-wise? I still have to work 7 days a week to survive. Barely. No time or money left over for such luxuries as school.
So you hate what you do and you can't do anything else - That is very sad
[ In Reply To ..]
My first reaction is that you probably wouldn't like anything else either. My next reaction is that it is tough making a living these days. At least you have some kind of a job with some money coming in, which is more than many people have. They would change places with you in an instant. It isn't a good situation, but that's the situation you find yourself in, so why not make the best of it instead of complaining yourself into a depression about it, as long as you know you have done every single thing in your power to do the best you can to do better. Once you know you've done everything you can and this is the best you can do, make the best of it without complaining. Finding the best in the situation is much better for your health and happiness, if you are able to do that. I wish you the best!
Actually, the actual act of transcription is something I LOVE. - What I HATE is the sham MTSOs made of it all. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Okay, let's all make the best of our lives - anythingbutMT
[ In Reply To ..]
in the Gulag. Please understand, the issue is the prostitution of a legitimate profession. By the way, are you a medical transcription service owner?
I don't agree. I think the issue is CHANGE as it always has been through MT history - Everything changes and we change with it or become
[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way to stay the same and expect that everything will always be the way it is right now. Those of us who have been around MT for 30 years know that change happens. Some changes have worked out really well and some haven't. The jury is still out on others. We all have our theory about what will come next and 99% of us will be wrong. History tells us that.

By the way, it is no big conspiracy of people out to get you. These are challenging times and each of us has to make changes in the way we do what we do so we can survive, no matter what career we have chosen to work in. That's also an important point. We have chosen to work in this field and we can choose not to work in it if it no longer meets our needs.
More of the same NewSpeak. - anythingbutMT
[ In Reply To ..]
A little bit more shrill, but just more of the same.
You've put yourself in a bad situation - Very sorry for you
[ In Reply To ..]
You have my sympathy and my best wishes too.
Actually, it was quite a good situation, for about 25 years. - The fact it sucks now, is NOT my fault. nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Mt career down the tube - ej

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you and can relate to your note. I too used the belts and all the above. When I "moved up" I made rounds and wrote progress notes, composed the H&P and DS. Boy was I a sucker. However, in retrospect I learned a LOT and don't regret that. Am still plugging along at home and too old to do anything else with my back condition. In spite of it all, am thankful to have a job and work what little I can to remain productive. Good luck with your endeavor. I would go back to school in a heartbeat if I was physically able.

Very sad - Cookie

[ In Reply To ..]
It's so sad that all of this has happened. Thank you for sharing that. I wish you the best in your future. I have been thinking about getting into this field but don't want to be a sucker. Sounds like that is what I would be if I did.

Similar Messages:

Career Step - Problems Passing Career Step MT Testing
Mar 05, 2012

Anyone have problems passing Career Step MT testing.   ...

Has This Happened To You?
Dec 21, 2009

I just wondered...has anyone ever made a mistake on a report (which was your fault and you readily admit you screwed up) and get an email stating:  please explain why you made that mistake because the client is waiting for an explanation??!!!  WTH?  Yes, I purposely made that error because I wanted too?  I enjoy making critical errors?  My error was most likely a keystroke error that I failed to catch..I admit it.  I try to be as careful as possible but I am human. ...

What Happened To Me?
Apr 21, 2010

I started my bartending class yesterday.. first time I have done anything outside the house in 7 years.  I was terrified. I don't think I really realized how isolating and stressful working for the Q at home really was.  I had almost forgotten what it was like to interact with real people, doing something that was real and down to earth. But I had a wonderful time, terrified though I was.  I still feel like I've been totally reborn, and I am so relieved to be out of th ...

Has This Happened To You? What To Do?
May 06, 2010

I just to recently switched to a whole new region, supervisor and QA supervisor with 3 days notice because of ONE particular account I transcribe on. I had been typing the previous accounts for over 5 years. Since the switch two weeks ago,  I have now TEN new accounts that I type for with all new CP's, set-ups and dictators; however, I have noted AT ALL the account for which I had previously typed which was the reason I was transferred in the first place!! Furthermore, there& ...

What Happened?
Jun 21, 2010

DocQScribe froze trying to download next report.  Tried to check Q E-mail while I was waiting and it is "not available."  Am I the last to know something? ...

Has This Ever Happened To You?
Oct 11, 2010

Occasionally when I'm doing an ASR report and insert a QA marker the yellow cursor marker will go away and the cursor goes to the end of the report.  Then I have to scroll back through the report to find my place and if I lift my foot off the foot pedal it happens again.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  It's irritating on a really long report.  TIA. ...

What Has Happened To MT'ing?
Jun 14, 2011

(I am not a "suit." :-) ) I would like to know from some of you what is the going rate now (really) for lines per hour or hourly pay and if there are even steady hours anymore. I just can't believe that this "profession" has gone downhill so much and downhill so quickly in even the last 5 years. I wonder what the next 5 years will look like or if there will even be MTs? If anyone has left the "profession" because they just can't make a living doing this anymore, what are you doing n ...

What Happened To The Job Ad
Jul 03, 2012

that was just on there earlier and now it's gone? I was going to send an email, came back to get the address and the posting is gone. Must have hired someone already? ...

What Do You Think Might Have Happened...
Jan 07, 2013

When I signed on this morning, I pulled down 3 reports.  I did the first one and went back to find just one left.  What happened to the other report?  Please let me know if you know.  Thanks ...

What Happened To JG?
Jan 24, 2013

I am curious to know if you got any responses to your emails.  ...

Anyone Know What Happened
Jan 28, 2013

to DF with MDI? Is she still there somewhere on board with Nuance. Wonder what she thinks about all of this, not that it really matters at this point, just curious... ...

Anyone Know What Happened With
Mar 01, 2013

Transcend law suit? I haven't seen it mentioned recently and wondered if it was still going on or settled. Anyone know? ...

This Ever Happened To Anyone?
May 18, 2013

You are made part time because you can't make full time line counts due to low work volumes, then when you go part time, you are given more accounts? ...

First, What Happened To OSi?? LOL ..
Jul 22, 2013

Used to work there but have been gone awhile and have been gone from these boards just as long.  Did they finally shut down??   My second question .. is there ANYONE out there still hiring radiology transcriptionists or has every radiology job out there been sold out to PowerScribe?  ...

Does Anyone Know What Exactly Happened In Oct?-sm
Aug 14, 2013

That is when I got a new CSM and they said they were "restructuring" and some CSMs were going to deal only with MTs and some only with customers.  My new CSM said her old MTs were always running out of work because THEY said the average MT could do "x amount" of dictation and most of hers could do twice that, and so when she got the "new-to-her" MTs and accounts, then we all started running out of work. ...

SGS...what Happened?
Mar 13, 2014

Hi all.  Is SGS still an MT company?  Did it get sold?  Did it change to coding only?  Does anyone know?    Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me. B ...

I'm Sure This Has Happened To Some Of You
Jul 19, 2014

Having been at this job for only five months, I've noticed certain new behaviors in myself that can only be attributed to the stressors of this job: Insomnia Stress eating Stress drinking Stress shopping  I know have to eliminate some of the above behaviors in order to attain a state of well-being. I have to thank god that I inherited my mom's pension after she passed away, because if it weren't for her pension supplementing my income, I would have told MModal to � ...

What Happened To The MT
Mar 09, 2015

for failing Jan and Feb audits? Curious how it went. ...

What Happened To My Post?
Oct 19, 2009

I had a post about how much to ask for my Stedman's books & Infinity USB foot pedal, and now it is gone. It has not been moved anywhere. Where is it? ...

What Happened To CyMed
Nov 18, 2009

Does anyone know what became of CyMed?  I worked for them about 3 years ago and have been away from transcription.  I left on good terms and thought about reapplying but they seem to have vanished?  What happened? ...

Just Wondering Whatever Happened
Jan 07, 2010

I was bored and reading posts today when I realized that the poster known as "Pug Mom" seems to have disappeared into thin air.  I don't know when she disappeared because today is the first day I noticed it, but she seemed to have quite a few issues going on and I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to her. Anyway, no biggie, just noticed the absence of a fellow poster and thought I'd see if anyone here knew her and if she was okay.  ...

Transcend/MDI - Has This Happened To Anyone Else?
Feb 03, 2010

I was an "MDIer" for the past year and 2 days ago we became Transcend.  Even though I was considered part-time with MDI, I was really FT because of the hours/reports I typed (radiology).  Since MDI didn't offer benefits, I was excited to be given the chance for FT benefits with Transcend.  The hype from the higher-ups in e-mails made me very hopeful for the merge.  I filled out all the paperwork for benefits, received my dental and vision cards and yesterday the bombshel ...

So, What Happened To Spheris?
Feb 11, 2010

It probably has been discussed already, but I haven't been here in a while.  But, what happened with them?  Why did they go bankrupt?  ...

Whatever Happened To Gourdpainter? I Used To Really
Apr 26, 2010

// ...

QA Question....has This Happened To You?
May 06, 2010

As stated in my previous post, I have been typing all new accounts for the last 2 weeks with no training whatsoever. I got a "critical error" report back because of the number of blanks I had put into the report and sent directly to the client. When reviewing the report, I noticed that some of the blanks were not caused by me at all, but by the QA person rewording the dictation to his/her liking. Furthermore, this QA person had re-added in prohibited abbreviations where I had taken them out (add ...

What Happened To The Post From The MT
Jun 07, 2010

There were several replies to it also. ...

Hey, Whatever Happened To That Contest?
Sep 27, 2010

Maybe if they wait long enough, nobody will remember, right? ...

What Happened To The Old Google?
Oct 15, 2010

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the quotes and wildcard search don't seem to be working with Google anymore, or at least not as well as it used to before? Anyone else noticed this? Also, what's with the new layout? Anyone miss the old Google? ...

What Happened With That Contest?
Oct 27, 2010

Remember the contest they were running when we downloaded 6.1?  The one with the flat screen TVs?  I might have missed something, but did anybody win? ...

Hey, What Happened To Schedulesource.
Nov 18, 2010

Once I am in schedulesource, I am stuck in it.  There is no end key, log out key, NOTHING!  It seems different to me too!  Now I have to completely close it while I am in it to get out of it!  Anyone else with this problem? ...