A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why do some companies not pay for spaces? - Montana

Posted: Jul 30, 2013

I am very curious as to why companies do not pay for all keystrokes. I just left a job that I felt like they were stealing from me. The spaces really add up. Honestly I felt like I was being robbed. I wasn't told in the beginning that was their practice.

Agree - robbing the MT - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's despicable, not paying you for half your work. I can't imagine any experienced MT taking such a job. A keystroke is a keystroke. They must get newbies who don't know any better.

One word: "GREED". - MTBankAccount

[ In Reply To ..]

GREED INDEED - Montana

[ In Reply To ..]
I asked this question of a lot of MTs and have gotten about the same answers as I have here. The owner of he company told me in four years, none of her transcriptionists that work for her have ever complained about this. I didn't find out about it when I first talked with her. She told me 9 cpl and I didn't question spaces because I assumed I would be paid for them but as it turns out I quit today after not even a month with her because of anger every time I would do work for her. A reminder to me will be always to ask what is counted in lines by these companies who have nothing else to do but line their own pockets at our expense. I even suspect the owner of the company pocketing the extra money since she contracted the work from a very large national company who does independent medical evaluations.

They do whatever they can get away with - To ROB the MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The MTSO can basically rob the MT, because most people don't even know what we do and there aren't "standards" with pay when it comes to our work. Same deal with many companies not paying for headers anymore. I mean, if I TYPE the header, I should get PAID for the header. The company I work for didn't even bother telling me they didn't pay for headers and when I figured it out and asked them, they acted like I was insane for asking such a stupid question, like why in the world would I expect to get paid for headers, WHICH I TYPE??? We used to get paid for everything we typed and now they not only cut the line rate, but cut everything in which you get paid for, added on top of the research that you don't get paid for....it's highway robbery! I wish ALL MTs would get out and let the greedy MTSOs type their own reports!

Not everything is about you - Getting away with it

[ In Reply To ..]
They do it to save their clients money and to outbid the competition on new accounts. They are not out to cheat you intentionally.

All is fair in love, war, and medical transcription - Montana

[ In Reply To ..]
I quit this job after about three weeks. I had incurred expenses before I knew about not being paid for spaces. I bought an old laptop with XP Pro on it specifically for this job because I wanted it after I was told I would make 9 cpl with a raise to 10 cpl. No mention of the pay for spaces until I got their instructions on how to do their invoice. Boy what a let down that was. I wasn't getting regular work either and automatically assigned weekend work without the courtesy of being asked if I could work or not. The main thing was I wasn't being paid for everything I physically did for this company which the files were very long IMEs, proofreading, and scanning old records for demographics etc. It was a very time consuming process which I would never be compensated for. My first paycheck paid for the old used laptop but that's it, $161.

So, why don't THEY take the cut instead of us? - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
If we are the ones doing the work, if they choose to bid lower, that should be a loss on THEIR side, not our side. My husband is a contractor and he pays his staff a set amount for the work they do. If he has family or friends that he does a job for and he decides to offer them a discount or even if he decides to bid lower in order to get a job, HE takes that cut. He doesn't tell his men that they have to make less or they don't get paid for this or that, because his bid was lower.

agreed. Machines will eventually replace most of us anyway - cashiers, bank tellers

[ In Reply To ..]
especially if and when they raise minimum wage
scarry, huh? sad, too. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
/
Yes - toll takers are extinct on the Golden Gate Bridge, - and soon on the rest of SF bridges.
[ In Reply To ..]
Film developers, both regular & x-ray.
Full-service gas station attendants, (except in Oregon).
Call center workers (esp. in the US).

Other jobs that will probably follow:

Mail carriers & post offices.
Bank tellers.
Radiologists (in the US)
Court reporters.
Grocery cashiers.
Closed captioners.

agree, it's all part of the bidding war for accounts and a - negotiating tool.

[ In Reply To ..]
I've heard some accounts say up front - not paying for spaces, they know what's going on. I don't like it as much as the next MT but why on earth would they pay the transcriptionist for spaces the client is not charged? One needs to give consideration to staying in business first. Getting accounts nationwide requires traveling nationwide to get them and probably more than once. Pull back and see the whole picture if you can. Poster above is right, it's not about you, and guess what? Most times it's not about them either. It's about doing business with businesses.

Yes, we get the shortest end of it, but they don't go around planning everything solely with screwing us on their pee brains. Personally, I don't work for them.

which companies don't pay for spaces? - need to know

[ In Reply To ..]
x

which companies - Montana

[ In Reply To ..]
Med Direct Transcription in Washington state. This is the only one I have run across so far. Steer clear of this one if you can but know this is the way they pay. They found me on an MT Facebook page after I posted I was looking for orthopedic transcription work.

Amphion doesn't pay for spaces either, VBC only. n/m - ???

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Acusis doesn't pay for spaces. - n/msg

[ In Reply To ..]
SO cheap!

it's up to you to find out how they define a line - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Not Paying For Spaces...how Many Other Companies Now Do This?
Jun 28, 2011

My company is no longer including spaces in the line count.  The line rate has gone up a bit, but not enough to compensate for that loss in the character count. (My line count  has dropped drastically.)  Are other companies going to this new method of compensation?  I know several years ago, when I first starting MT, there was a lot of "stink" about some companies only counting "black" characters, and those were the companies everyone stayed away from.  Ju ...

7 Cpl As An IC Without Spaces, 5 Yrs Exp Required... Are These Companies Nuts?
Jul 26, 2013

x ...

10 Cpl With No Spaces, Is That A Good Wage Or No? I Have Always Been Paid With Spaces, Thx, Nm
Jun 03, 2011

nm ...

Does Anyone Know What 0.08 Line Without Spaces Equals Out To With Spaces?
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone know what 0.08 line without spaces equals out to with spaces? ...

Without Spaces
May 31, 2010

How are you supposed to be able to count characters without spaces? This just seems odd to me.  Guess you learn something new every day. ...

Pay For Spaces
Sep 15, 2010

Does anyone know if Diskriter, Amphion, Etransplus pay for spaces?  Need help asap so I can accept or reject offer.  Thanks in advance. ...

Pay Without Spaces Is...?
Jan 10, 2011

If a position offers pay without spaces, would that pretty much cut pay in half when compared to pay with spaces? ...

Does Acusis Pay For Spaces, Or Only By VBC?
Nov 21, 2009

X ...

Just Saw A New Ad ... .07 Cpl, Without Spaces, IC, No Benefits And Want (sm)
Jan 16, 2010

Five years experience and especially experience in basic 4.  Surely you jest! ...

5 Cpl/43 Vbc Only = About 6 Cpl/65 Char W/spaces...sm
Apr 16, 2010

and the explanation is that they are trying to compete with other companies who pay their MTs 2 cpl.  Has anyone seen any companies who pay 2 cpl?  sad, sad, sad... ...

K&R Consulting Don't Pay For Spaces?
May 02, 2010

Does anyone know anything about K&R, other than they don't pay for spaces?  Do they pay more per line to compensate?  I was thinking about picking up some extra work and have done VA work in the past, so was just wondering.  Thanks. MJ ...

Who Uses Two Spaces After Punctuation Other Than Me?
Sep 07, 2010

I was reading and found it is okay to use one space after punctuation.  This is going to be a hard habit to break.  I am old school and was taught to use two spaces after punctuation in typing class.   Thanks for any comments.   Mel ...

Does It Matter If There Are 2 Spaces After A
Sep 08, 2010

this one of those fabulous things that is taken care of on the back-end?  That would save me a few strokes.  ...

Does Anyone Know What 8 Cpl W/O Spaces Is Comparable To?
Nov 12, 2010

TIA :-) ...

VBC Pay Versus With Spaces Pay
Jun 15, 2011

What would 4.4 cents editing VBC average out to if compared to transcribing with spaces? ...

NOT GETTING PAID FOR SPACES
Jan 22, 2011

Ithinkitisnotfairtonotpayforthespacebarkey!! ...

Escription Pay For Spaces
Mar 21, 2011

I was wondering if there is someone who could answer a question about Escription.  I am currently an Escription editor and do not get paid spaces.  Does anyone know if this is true with all Escription accounts, or if it is a company-specific thing?  TIA! ...

Does SoftScript Pay For Spaces? Nm
Jul 15, 2011

x ...

How Can You Tell If You Are Not Being Paid For Spaces?
Jul 20, 2011

but now I can't find it.  Thanks.  ...

Keystrokes - Does KS Pay For Spaces, Etc?
Jan 26, 2012

Does KS pay for spaces, etc?  Any info is appreciated good, bad or ugly.  TIA! ...

Does Synernet Pay For Spaces?
Jun 05, 2012

Just curious, I'm trying to decide between a few companies and I totally forgot to ask the interviewer.  I think the whole VBC thing is criminal.  It's bad enough not being paid for all of the research, demographics and CCs we do, but to not pay for characters that we actually type just because they don't print out in black and white is OUTRAGEOUS!!!  ...

Free Spaces
Jan 26, 2013

Hi from Australia on Australia Day.  Only new at this MT at home business.  Struggling to get my line count up.  In all honesty it would take a few months to add in enough shortcuts to make it worthwhile.  I have been racking my brain over how to get those two spaces at the end of a sentence for free.  Finally it has come to me.  We all need to do an autotext incorporaing the last letter of a sentence and the first letter of the following sentence ie  I saw Liz ...

Not Paying For Spaces
Feb 04, 2013

I've seen it posted in various threads that companies are not paying for typing spaces. I can't get my head around that. What's their rationale? It's a keystroke, just like any letter or number. ...

Visible Spaces
Mar 20, 2013

Okay, when did Nuance announce they were not paying for visible spaces in a report? I'm a former Transcend employee and heard this news today. Is this documented somewhere? If so, someone please tell me where. I'm dumbfounded. How low can this company get? ...

Does Synernet Pay For Spaces
Aug 10, 2013

Wondering if Synernet pays for spaces?  That's one thing I forgot to ask recruiter.   ...

Does Transtech Pay For Spaces
May 16, 2014

Does Transtech pay for spaces? ...

Does Nuance Pay For Spaces?
Nov 10, 2014

Does Nuance pay for spaces?  TIA ...

Spaces/footers
Dec 15, 2014

I see in TTS ad they pay for headers, footers and spaces.  Sounds like lines are easier to come by with this company.  ...

Spaces After A Period And Pay
Feb 27, 2015

Is there a difference in pay when there is 1 space after a period as opposed to 2. If you are paid for spaces I am thinking this could make a difference. ...

Stages And Spaces
Mar 10, 2015

Hey everyone, Just curious about this... I just got a report back from my QA at work, and she dinged me for writing "End stage renal disease" instead of "Endstage renal disease."  Now, someone correct me if I am wrong, but those are 2 separate words and should not be together like that, I dont think.  I wouldn't write Stage6 or Stage4 together, so why the difference with end stage?  We are supposed to used the 3rd edition BOS, but I can't find a reference for this. &nbs ...