A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Low work and lack of communication from above - wondering

Posted: May 13, 2011

As an MT who has recently had a pay cut (or "new pay structure") and has consequently upped my game in terms of trying to get more lph, now I find there just seems to be not enough work to even get the 8 hours a day in. As per usual, when this happens I check on here and many other MTs have the same situation, are even more bitter when they see their company is hiring, etc. I am just wondering why we never seem to be offered any explanation from the higherups, or even a guess as to why this is. In fact communication of any kind seems to be negligible, as opposed to when work is flush and we are urged to work within our schedule and on occasion extra. Yet now we are given no guidelines or advice on what to do when there is zero work, it seems they would rather we just suffer in silence and check for work all waking hours, and ultimately I guess either time off without pay or if you have any leave time you have to use it due to this. The no work used to be cyclical somewhat, now it just seems that perhaps the economy is so bad nobody is getting operations, treatment, or something?... I have to think the MTSOs know more than we can guess, yet no explanation is offered and it leads to paranoia and desperation. Anybody out there know - should we be worried?

getting more work - memere

[ In Reply To ..]
It really depends on the company you work for. Some companies like the Q have personnel who work overnight and eves that can be contacted directly if you run out of work. Your first line of communication should be to your immediate supervisor, asking them whom you can contact during your shift when you run out of work. Maybe they can modify your workpools so that you can have a stead flow of work. If they're hiring elsewhere, they obviously need more hands on some accounts, and ask that you be able to access some. of course, that may mean bouncing around from account to account, but if they put some kind of backup in place, at least you'd have access to some work.

dont go bragging about the Q - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The Q overhires to get UP TO THE MINUTE turn around times. The supervisors are given bonuses for 100% turnaround. Other companies are following in these footsteps because this is what the client now wants. They cut our pay, overhire and all of their accounts are at 100%. As far as the bouncing from account to account... I have to do every one of the 18 hospitals in my supervisors work pool daily, just bounce from hospital to hospital... then when those are at 100%, I go out of my region and start on more. It is IMPOSSIBLE to make any money this way because of the client profiels. Each client wants something different, in fact, many of the doctors for each client have a list of things they want differently from the hospital. It is absolutely crazy and NO ONE should have to work like this.

You want to know why your company has no work? Blame the Q. You want to know why your pay is so low? Blame the Q. You want to know why more and more work is going to India? Blame the Q.

Agreed! RIDICULOUS account specs - Veteran

[ In Reply To ..]
Pages and pages of account specs are just ludicrous, especially on large accounts. There is too much butt-kissing on the part of these services. They should be using standardized headings, etc. because whether the report says "HISTORY OF PRESENT ILLNESS" or "HISTORY OF THE PRESENTING ILLNESS" has absolutely ZERO effect on patient care.
ridiculous specs - nina
[ In Reply To ..]
AMEN!!! I'm so glad someone else feels like I do. One portion of the accounts we do (this is for a hospital, not a service) is doctor's office transcription. We have over 50 offices with numerous physicians in each office. And the instructions have different specs for each and every one of the docs, even if they are in the same office, they have different formatting for letters and/or office notes. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!! And the person who promises that they can have whatever they want has never been a transcriptionist, has never typed 1 report. The frustration is EVERYWHERE!!!

memere - Maybe you should read the Q board. - for the sake of who you trying to kid

[ In Reply To ..]

we should - .

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, in the non-on-site scenario of the MT, companies can secure their bottom line in pleasing the client (TAT) at the expense of the MT.

They are pretty much in control now. Unless you work for a company that actually has the MTs' interest in mind, even remotely, it's a pretty scary future for us.

With the insurance situation and with social programs being cut from local governments, fewer people are being admitted to the hospital. I'm not going to name any specific state, but with recent changes, there has been an impact on the hospital's census for whom I work, and obviously dictation/transcription is also down.

I wish everyone had insurance. We'd be wallowing in work!!!

Ins. holders are down because of JOB LOSSES - Watcher

[ In Reply To ..]
Between people losing their jobs (and accompanying insurance benefits), the policies getting more and more sparse as to what they cover as time marches on, and more and more employers not even offering insurance, we are taking a big hit. It's the JOBS!! And look at our 9% unmployment rate... Until -- or, more accurately, unless -- the jobs come back to the U.S. it will only get WORSE.

agree - .

[ In Reply To ..]
Job loss is definitely a reason for fewer people insured. Cutting social programs does result in job loss.

Lots needs to be fixed, a layered and complicated problem, but seems like the entired medical industry would benefit from insurance reform and making it possible for everyone to afford insurance, not to mention ethically it would be nice for not only those with jobs to be able to be healthy and live.

I didn't mean to omit job loss. I just meant to make the point that the reason MT is in this state is because fewer people are able to seek medical attention, and it doesn't look like it's going to get better any time soon.

I also recently took pay cut and now have no work - Tough Old Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
I took just took a significant pay cut at a certain MTSO, and I took went at it tooth and nail to up my lines to make up the loss. First week, wow! I hit it out of the park...almost. With a little work I can do this, the next week, 4 hours into shift --OUT-OF-WORK. Now, I am getting only scraps and dinky little reports with no lines..I won't even make the newly upped minimum at this rate. What to do!

Similar Messages:

Lack Of Important Communication
Oct 22, 2013

There really needs to be a change in the level of meaningful communication.  A couple of weeks ago all of a sudden, there were no status updates.  It went from 2 a day even on the weekends to nothing for a week.  When I finally got one, the supervisor explained they were trying to determine how the work flowed without the status updates.  If I was a supervisor, that would scare me because it sounds like they are looking at ways of having less management personnel.  But, ...

Bad Communication
Dec 03, 2009

May not be the right forum but here goes - Have any of the MT's out there in MT land ever had this experience  - You have a question about a particular doctor, report, etc. and IM or Email someone, trainer, QA, boss, whatever and get absolutely no response and you are sitting waiting for the answer so you can move on or get help or be told what to do next and you wait, and wait, and wait and nothing for an hour.  How ridiculous.  How do you deal with this?  And managemen ...

No Communication
Dec 20, 2012

Why is that MT's are no longer able to communicate?  The past two companies I have worked for, you do not know who works on your account, and you have no contact with anyone other than QA.  Just asking. ...

Communication Between MLS's
Jul 03, 2014

As an MLS, sometimes I just want to know that another MLS is out there, other than my TSM.  Are we allowed to communicate with other MLS's?  If you uses Spark, you have to have their address.  I really would like to communicate with others on my team but don't know how to do it. ...

Communication From Companies
Nov 17, 2010

I would like to know if anyone else is having this problem.  Over the past several weeks, I have applied to several companies for a part-time home-based MT position but have gotten no communication whatsoever from any of them.  It would really be nice if they sent a short email message to all applicants stating that they received the resume and cover letter and am in the process of reviewing them.  Some of these companies sound like they really need an MT immediately so you apply ...

Keystrokes Communication
Jan 28, 2011

First, let me say this is not an attempt to bash the company--I am just wondering if it  is just me or if others' emails are ever returned and/or acknowleged This seems to be throughout the whole company, team leads, payroll, policies about MModal etc. Is this just me? ...

LM - Communication Breakdown?
Mar 01, 2012

Anyone else who works for LM in PA have problems with lack of communication between yourself and QA/supervisors?  So frustrating! ...

North TCM Or Whatever No Communication All Day
Nov 05, 2012

Anybody notice this.  Was she the one let go?  I had an email from her yesterday, not a word all day.  Very strange, she usually sent at least 2 updates a day. ...

New-Hire Communication
Jan 11, 2015

I just started with Nuance this past week.  During the hiring process, I had good communication with the recruiter.  During training, there was good communication with the person in charge of my training.  However, since my first day on the job, I have only heard from my TSM once, and that was a bulk e-mail to lots of people.   Is this typical?  I've been reviewing my QA in Fiesa and making notes, but should I be expecting any other kind of feedback or communication ...

Screw Improved Communication
Apr 17, 2013

DTS Oklahoma - Communication Is Nonexistent
Apr 28, 2013

This company has some major problems right now, and clearly has all along by the looks of the posts here.  Communication is nonexistent, management is a joke..hostile even.  I'd run, not walk, from ever applying here.  Seriously.  Pay is a joke, and they do not give out raises OR time off w/o a battle.  Even if you were desparate enough to apply, you probably wouldn't hear back from them anyways - cuz that's how they roll.  Save yourself a lot of hassle. ...

I Was Taught And Practice Communication Is Key
Mar 11, 2014

Today is March 11 - that's 11 days since those of us who USE to work on a large account for OTI went POOF.  There has been little to NO communication since then.  Since March 4, I have applied for so many job postings, MT - nonMT - employee - IC it really doesn't matter I just need to make $$ and support my family!  It is very frustrating that you don't even get a canned answer "sorry, the positions are filled"  or "sorry you don't meet our specifications" ...

System Or Communication Error.
Nov 17, 2014

Anyone else getting this error when trying to call up ADT?  Not too mention upload and download is very slow. ...

Webmedx Attempting To Stifle Communication?
May 02, 2011

Some employees received an email reminder that the employee handbook holds changes that everyone needs to look at regarding email and internet use. On reviewing the handbook, they've specifically mentioned social networking and MTStars. I see some of this as necessary for HIPAA caution, but the rest (such as specifically mentioning this site and others) as well as the timing indicate to me that this is more of an attempt to intimidate employees from communicating with each other. QA was ap ...

Work Or Lack Of
Jul 22, 2010

Is work extremely slow for everyone? I've never seen it this bad. ...

Lack Of Work.
Aug 01, 2011

Is anyone else at MxSecure slow right now?  I have a scheduled work time like everyone else but am having to work horrible hours to get my line count in.  ...

Lack Of Work
Jul 06, 2012

Has anyone noticed less work in your queues lately? Has anyone had a hard time getting in to a new transcription company? I have 12 years experience, and had an easier time finding a job as a newbie than I do now. Think maybe this has anything to do with the cheap labor from India that is replacing American workers? I'm thinking about finishing my coding classes, but they give American jobs to India also. What does it take to earn a living in America now? ...

Lack Of Funds
Jan 17, 2013

Need to go to doctor but cannot afford to with consistent lack of work.  Hoping things pick up so that I can go and get my prescriptions refilled.  Made too much money last year to benefit from community medical care.  Stuck between a rock and a hard place. ...

Partial Lack?
Jul 24, 2013

doctor dictates what s/l : Likely left thumb EPL partial lack, does that sound right? ...

Lack Of Planning
Dec 12, 2013

You know that saying - A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine? Perfect picture of the North region this week. Apparently we were supposed to be upgraded to the newest version of Fluency except that due to the spectacular communication in the company no one received that information, including installation instructions and now there is a scramble to get everyone upgraded. Do I have all the tools to do my job? No. ...

VR Quality....or Lack Thereof (sm)
Dec 17, 2009

I have no problem with new technology.  I am often the first to buy a new electronic device or gadget. I was the first person in my little circle to get an iPhone, Slingbox, Wii and even a Magic Jack.  I bought all these devices with the knowledge that there would be bugs, installation problems and usage nuances, not to mention a learning curve of some sort on my part.  The transcription industry across the board has rushed to embrace VR technology with what seems like very little ...

TT And Work Or Lack Thereof...
Mar 25, 2010

If you are short lines/hours at TT, do you make up the time?  I find myself working 7 days a week there now and I am not able to log on at night when they send out emails that there is work now and we need to log on to make up the time.  I am worried they will cut me down to part-time, even though I am now making part-time pay but work full-time, or they might not give me health insurance.  I can't sit here every day for 16 hours! ...

Lack Of Work At Webmedx
Aug 01, 2010

So, for weeks, probably months now I sign on faithfully early morning for my shift and every, single day....no work on my primary, secondary, and sometimes even my third account.  It would last perhaps a few hours.  Now, lasting almost the entire day.  What in the world is going on with this company?  Told work is being held for in-house employees in one breath, but in the other oh new account started you will have work soon.  Ok, that was last month.  So I am finan ...

Let Go From Acusis For Lack Of Work
Jan 13, 2011

I worked part time for Acusis.  I always got in my lines every day. Was let go because I was told they needed to preserve the work for full-time employees.  I was there for 2 years (1-1/2 years as full time).  I really hope the work picks up for those staying on. ...

No Wonder We Suffer From Lack Of Self-esteem...
Jan 22, 2011

Has anyone ever noticed that if you make an error while entering a date in a mandatory field in the demographics, the error message that comes up starts off with "YOU FAILED!!!"??? Don't you just love the positive, uplifting attitude of our company towards its workers?  No wonder they didn't make the "Best 100 companies to work for" list yet again... ...

Lack Of Professional Etiquette
Mar 22, 2011

Has professional business etiquette really slipped so far?  I can't tell you how many times I have applied to a posting for a job on here or have emailed my supervisor/authority figure at work and never even received an email back acknowledging my email was received. How hard is it to say....Thank you for your concerns. I know that we need to discuss them, and I will get in contact with you shortly to do so.  OR  Thanks for applying to the position or thanks for sending your ...

FutureNet Job Ad & Lack Of Work
Sep 21, 2011

I just don't get FN's logic.  The latest ad is looking for VR editors from Friday through Monday afternoon and night shift.  The work statistics show minimal to NO work on all accounts over the weekend.  The weekends are the slowest times for all work.  Everyone must work a shift on a weekend day.  Most weekends, you would be lucky to get enough work to finish your shift.  Yes, they send e-mails begging for help when there are 5 reports to be done in an a ...

Keystrokes Lack Of Work
Apr 12, 2014

Anyone out there work currently for Keystrokes 2014 in the Chicago, IL area? I am experiencing a drastic slowdown in work available and wondering if it is the hospital or if Keystrokes is singling me out. I am not sure I trust what they have to say about things, seems a bit scripted to me, but I want to trust them as the work is good and interesting. ...

What A Concept -- Lay-offs Due To Lack Of Work
Feb 12, 2010

Earlier this week, my employer was forced to lay off MTs.  What a concept -- only keeping enough employees for the amount of work coming in.  I have worked for other less considerate employers who don't care whether or not we have to sit and wait and scrape and beg for work, (MQ, FN), and this really blows my mind.  They actually want to take care of us so that we have enough work.  Yes, it is unfortunate for those who were laid off, but only keeping the best of the best ...

Looking For Advice On Completion Of Schooling Or Lack There Of...
Nov 08, 2010

Here is the situation.  I am currently going through an MT course, I am in the Beginning MT practicum and then I have Intermediate MT practicum to complete.  When I originally signed up for the course, I signed up for the "complete course" (Intermediate was the final module) in order to receive my certification of completion.  I have recently found out, quite by accident, that my school has now added 2 additional modules to complete the course for an additional charge of ...