A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Left at home transcription.... - MT

Posted: Jul 02, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 15 years now. After leaving MedQuist due to their bad management, I have been hopping around for several years not able to find the right match for me. Everything that sounds great at the beginning turns out to be the opposite. Either the pay is cut in half for their horrible speech recognition or it pays well and the program that they use just isn't very productive. I realized I had no choice but go back into the hospitals when my last position which was great, using DocQscribe and paid a fair rate, well it ended because the company lost the accounts for an unknown reason to us. I think they were just doing too much. So anyway, with three children I realize I need to do something so I went back to working in a local hospital last week. While I miss my kids, I realize this is the only thing that will keep us from being homeless, and it pays well so it will get us back on our feet. It didn't help that while struggling doing at home transcription, I had a car crash that totaled our only vehicle (Kid made a wrong left turn and hit me head on). So anyway, while I never thought I would like going back out into hospitals, I'm loving it and feel so much less stressed knowing that our bills will be taken care of and we'll be able to do the fun things we have missed out on. I just wish the chance to work at home was still there, but it almost seems like I will have to give up on working at home altogether because after spending 3 years looking for a good at-home job since MedQuist went downhill (loved them for the first 5 years), I just don't have the time and my bills won't wait for me to find something else at home.

I guess I'm just writing to say that going back out into hospitals and/or offices might seem a little intimidating after being at home for so long, but it can work out : ) I feel much better about my work, off from QA after only days, and I'm very productive on the hospital's program, doing between 1500 to 2000 lines per day : ) I love my new job and wish everyone else the best. Eventually I might get out of transcription altogether, just not quite sure of what I would want to do...Something in radiology, pharmacy or maybe a teacher?

similar situation - Karen

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been at home for the last 6 years as an IC for the same group of doctors but the work load was trickling down to one day a week. My boss didn't want to lose me completely and they have merged with several other physician groups locally including one I worked for over 10 years ago, so she and her supervisor worked with then to get me into their office to help out 2 1/2 days a week. I always thought I didn't want to go back to the office but most of the people I worked with 10 years ago are still there so it is just like going home again. For some returning to an office isn't an option for one reason for another but for now I'm happy to be there for now and hopefully later this summer they will finalize combining all of the transcription departments so I will have full time work again!

Congrats! - homemt

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck with your new job! You may find regular hours and less stress are PRICELESS!

As to going into another field, 2 of the 3 you mention aren't faring a lot better than MT so please make sure you do your homework really well!

Enjoy the new gig!

Congrats! I'll be following in your footsteps (if I can - ever get as far as an inhouse interview!) nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

back into the work field - gigi

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to agree with you about getting back into the work field. I've been typing at home for several years and work is very, very slow, plus all the transcription companies are not what they say they are which you don't find out until you've wasted your time by signing on with them and rendering your services for such a minimal amount of money. I am unfortunatey looking for work outsie of my home and that is not easy either but I'm perservering. Good luck to everyone that is in the same positions we are in.

In house transcription - Lemonella

[ In Reply To ..]
Are there any in house jobs left in this country? It appears they have all been outsourced.

There are a few, even some good ones. But an MT there - usually has to die before a job opens up.

[ In Reply To ..]
I also think that some of the hospitals who either never did outsource, or the ones that have come to realize that MTSOs suck, and have brought it back inhouse, don't want to hire MTs currently working for MTSOs, because they probably think we suck as well. It's a vicious cycle, and I can't seem to break out of it. They also claim they want experience, but if you send in a resume showing you are a 30+ year veteran of MT, they can't slam the door in your face fast enough.

Congratulations!! - X

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to find a job in an office, although I am really quite happy with the MTSO I work for. I would just like to be able to make more money. Unfortunately, the local hospital and doctors who are contracted with them are using MedQuist for their work, so no in-house positions available around here anymore.

Congratulations. Very happy it has worked out - for you.

[ In Reply To ..]
There aren't any in-house jobs around me any more. All transcription is going by the wayside; just cryptic notes being done by the doctors on laptops. Big hospital went with MedQuist, but I think they switched to another service when the contract was up. I look at the in-house websites regularly though with my fingers crossed.

lucky gal! Congrats and enjoy. Now is a good time for that. - I may join you...someday. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
+

Not everyone can find in-house trancription though - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, there are many advantages to working inhouse. You feel like you are needed and you get more benefits, but..yet, you are not at home on the computer 24/7 and no benefits and a 'factory worker' but thanks to the services, VR and offshoring, there are no in-house jobs. They have let mostlyl all transcription jobs go and will not hire those whom they have laid off, nor give them other jobs throughout the hospital...or they make it really difficult...that I know for a fact.

Know what you mean... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The job I have is temporary (only 6 months) so I'm a little worried but have seen several other places advertise for transcription, so I'm hoping and praying that this hospital job will become permanent or if not that I'll have the option of working outside at another hospital or office. I guess if it ends up being temporary, I'll have no choice but to go back to at-home...That's what makes me want to get out of this field. I have a ton of experience yet have struggled to find a truly good company for three years now. The reason my job might be temporary is the hospital is trying out the outsourcing and voice recognition. I hope they decide it's not right for them....

Similar Messages:

Female's Social History, Dr Clearly Said Patient Lives At Home With Her Wife. I Left It SM
Jan 17, 2015

Did not know if gay marriage was legal in that state (PA)  but it was certainly what was said.,, so I didn't want to flag it either.  Fortunately, I no longer work for Nuance.  No telling what kind of dings I wold have gotten for that.   ...

Ophthalmus On The Left With Slight Ptosis On The Left Secondary To *metrofeed* Left Eye Globe? Thank
Aug 31, 2010

nm ...

How Can I Get An At-home Transcription Job?
Jun 23, 2012

How can I get an at-home job as a medical transcriptionist? I have been applying constantly at online positions and they all require "experience" already. Please help! ...

Home Transcription Ad...ha
Jul 08, 2012

Love my job as an at-home MT and love working from home, but that set aside, I think we can all agree that if you're looking to make good money, this is likely not the profession to pursue anymore.  So I saw this ad in one of my magazines, August issue:Train at home to Work at Home . . . Be a Medical Transcriptionist . . . Earn up to $40,000 a year. . . Also, there's a picture of a lady at her computer smiling really big with her 4 or 5-year-old daughter in her lap.  Hahahaha ...

New To At-home Transcription
Jan 16, 2014

I am considering doing medical transcription from home. I have never had this sort of job before and need some advice. Does anyone know of a good "starter" company that would offer part-time work?  Is finding a good company just a matter of research and word-of-mouth? I do have 20+ yrs experience. Any advice appreciated!! Thanks! ...

Anyone Out There Doing Anything Else From Home- Besides Transcription???
Oct 29, 2014

Just wondering if anyone is doing something other than transcription from home. Thanks! ...

MT Transcription Area In Your Home, Where Is It?
Jan 25, 2010

Where are you set up?  I am moving my desk and office stuff around, I find if I do that I actually work better (I know that sound strange, but I find that it's true!)  My mother used to move her furniture around every once in a while... LOL Not that it made a huge amount of difference honestly, but it made her happy and it did liven things up a bit. So, my question is, where is your MT station set up in your home?  I thought about moving out by the kitchen and out of my offi ...

If I Was Let Go Of A Home Medical Transcription Job...?
Mar 06, 2010

In previous posts I mentioned that I was let go of a home medical transcription job because I didn't produce the "perfect" amount of work that was needed right away... Anyways, as I mentioned previously, I got this home medical transcription job only a month after I graduated from Rasmussen College and was let go just last month. The story was, when she first hired me she said it would take me 6 months to get perfect at my job, then after the first month she told me she needed me to be per ...

Laptop To Do At-home Transcription
Apr 18, 2010

I have a laptop computer which I love. Am I really restricted to stay in my "office" or will I be able to move around my home in order to do at-home transcription. ...

Funeral Home Transcription?
Sep 11, 2010

Hi all, I wondered if anyone had heard of or done funeral home transcription.   My husband had an interview today at a funeral home and the director told him they had transcriptionist who transcribe the embalmer's reports.  I had never heard of this, but thought this would be something sort of interesting.  Have any of you heard of this before?  ...

At Home Transcription Jobs
Aug 11, 2012

I am a medical transcriptionist with 26 years experience.  The company I currently work for (for the past 8 years) is phasing out long-distance teleworkers.  There are so many companies out there.  Can someone give me advice on which ones are the best to work for?  Your help is much appreciated.   ...

If You Left Transcription, What Would You Do?
May 11, 2011

I've heard a lot of people saying they are getting out of transcrption but what are they doing? Are there jobs comparable to transcription that may pay better or at least consistently. ...

Wanting To Transition To At-home Transcription
Mar 12, 2012

Hi, I currently work full-time at a University Hospital in Iowa in the Department of OB/GYN and have been transcribing in this department for 8 years.  I transcribe for the residents and since their notes are so detailed I have experience in typing about other medical conditions besides just gynecology/ob related.  I have an hour commute one way and I am seriously thinking of quitting this job and trying at-home transcription so I can be closer to my daughter during the day.  She ...

Transcription At Home Changed My Life
Jan 19, 2013

In the year 2000 I started making 34,000 then by 2005 I was making over 55,000/year. I bought a house, thought eveything was good. Suddenly in in 2008 I made 37,452 and by 2009 I lost my house, my job and had to live on my 401K money that I had to take out early to survive on, plus unemployment of course. This year 2013 I made 18,000 dollars. I lost my standing in life, I feel depressed alot, I can't take my grandchildren out anymore like I used to, maybe once a year is all I can afford. ...

Working From Home Medical Transcription
May 21, 2014

I have put together a list of work-at-home companies, some transcription but I tried to not include companies you would already see on this site, and some not.  I cannot vouch for any of these companies but I did get them from 2 different sites that were said to be reliable (i.e., not schemes).  Please reply by email if you would like me to email you my list.   ...

Medical Transcription Working From Home
Jan 21, 2015

i am currrently in school how hard is it to get a job from home in transcription or coding? ...

Would You Still Recommend At-home Medical Transcription, In 2011
Nov 05, 2011

I was trained as a Medical Transcriptionist at a two-year college from 1990 to 1992.  I worked at a hospital for a couple of years doing radiology, non-invasive cardiology, and neurology transcription, then I got married and moved.  Soon thereafter, I started work at a mental health clinic as a Medical Transcriptionist with 12 other transcriptionists.  This was in late 1993 and I am still there as of right now.  The 12 transcriptionists have either left or been laid off over ...

Looking To Start Typing Medical Transcription At Home
Jun 21, 2013

I am looking to start doing medical transcription at home. I have 8 years experience in a family physician's office. How do I get started? What is a fair wage?  ...

Are There Any Companies Left That Do Straight Transcription Instead Of VR?? NM.
Sep 11, 2011

x ...

So I Left Transcription Two Years Ago. Got Laid Off From
May 20, 2014

a hospital job after being a model employee for 5 years because of outsourcing.  Disillusioned, I decided I was done and took a job as a unit secretary at a hospital "in the city."  Pay was the same and I thought it would be a nice change, you know a little daily human interaction.  WRONG!  After dealing with nonstop ringing phones, call lights, pesky patients and family, hateful nurses, and condescending doctors on a daily basis, I was ready to run back to my home office for ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Medical Transcription School Has Left Me A Little Unnerved
Feb 14, 2010

I recently had an experience with an MT school that has left me a little unnerved.  Therefore, I have a couple of questions for those who are currently attending school or have completed an MT program.  Were you provided statistics about the number of actual graduates?  Schools can have a lot of enrollees but it’s my opinion that the number of actual graduates matters. Were you provided any information about the qualifications of your instructors?  My next question is for the experienced M ...

Family Practice MT Needed For P.R.N. Work - Crystals Home Transcription
Sep 23, 2010

Has anyone applied and heard back from this company today? ...

Left Double *clocking* System In The Left Kidney Repaired. Thanks. Nm
Jan 19, 2010

nm ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Electroencephalogram: Left Temporal Focal Slowing In The 6 Hz Range With Left Temporal Sharp Transie
Apr 18, 2010

nm ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

Preop Diagnosis Is S/l"kay-less" Foot Left. The Procedure Is Left S/l "cold" Mid
May 26, 2010

left calcaneal osteotomy.  ...

"right And Left Foot" Or "right And Left Feet"
Jun 13, 2011

This doc always says, "right and left foot", but i cant help but think that it should be "right and left feet"..... Can someone clear this up for me?   For example:  The patient comes in today for examinatin of his right and left foot.  or   The patient's right and left foot appears in normal condition.   ...

Do You Ever Wonder How Many At-home MTs
Nov 16, 2010

take medication for depression/anxiety disorders? ...