A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

At home transcription jobs - Terry

Posted: Aug 11, 2012

I am a medical transcriptionist with 26 years experience.  The company I currently work for (for the past 8 years) is phasing out long-distance teleworkers.  There are so many companies out there.  Can someone give me advice on which ones are the best to work for?  Your help is much appreciated.  

You will likely find - more information

[ In Reply To ..]
if you ask your question on the company board. Also, there are several threads there already discussing the pros and cons of various companies.

Your company doesn't have other positions to give - to those of you being phased out?

[ In Reply To ..]
if they are changing up technology, you would think they would be able to shift you to new accounts or something.

I agree with the above poster that you would probably get more info on the company board. Maybe just browse through threads and read to see what you think. Keep in mind that everyones experience varies with these companies. Some have good and some have bad. I have only ever worked for one so dont really have any recommendations.

Good luck.

If they're phasing you out...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you qualify for unemployment while you look for another job. My job was phased out (outsourced), and it took me 2 full months of intense searching (25+ resumes sent) with only 3 interviews from that. Other than that, the other posters gave some good advice. Good luck.

Terry - wrorking for one company - bb

[ In Reply To ..]
No, you are NOT expirenced -- you and a lot of others purused this field thinking "KIDS WORK FROM HOMEMEGAABUCKS" Frankly why do you want to you want to work from home? Even as an IC you have to give hours availalble Your at the bottom baby and its going to be midnight hours. Been there for 32 years and I do work as an IC -- have to "earn stripes before you fly"

Experience - On site MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Read the OP. Terry said she had 26 years of experience.

bb - "working" for one company - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe the OP said 26 years of "experience" and I doubt she "pursued" this field thinking it was megabucks. IMO, "you're" mistaken about a few things. Oh and yes, ICs often have to give hours "available" for coverage.

Terry - ignore "wrorking" post - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
As two others have noted, the post by "bb" is inappropriate and should be ignored.

We have a few husbands of MTs who seem to be unemployed except for their domestic functions of interfering with their wives' work and posting self-important, opinionated rants.
I do not believe the post was inappropriate at all - mouse in corner
[ In Reply To ..]
This MT was stating his or her opinion. I feel for the poster having her job outsourced. However, I believe that there are very few good companies out there any more, especially when we now have the megagiants, like Nuance and MModal. I truly believe that BB was trying to point out that this field is not what it used to be and the competition is very stiff for jobs right now. She may not be able to get the schedule or flexibility that she wants and there are a lot of MTs out there that feel they can work when they feel like it and that is just not the case anymore. This is a job, and not a hobby, but it seems it is treated as the latter and not the former.
I think you need to read the initial post again - Back on track
[ In Reply To ..]
You appear to be taking what BB said as an accurate reflection of the original post. You are now attributing circumstances and facts to her that were provided by other people, including bb.

The OP' job is not being "outsourced," and she is not looking for a first job teleworking. As she said, she has 26 years of MT experience, with the last EIGHT YEARS TELEWORKING. Her company is PHASING OUT teleworkers. She thus is looking for another company. She is asking for recommendations.

Instead of recommendations she is being told she isn't going to get a job that will let her work when she feels like it (where did THAT come from???) and that she has to get experience first (???).

That is inappropriate because it has nothing to do with the OP's needs or reality.

I cannot believe you think bb is an MT. That is what bb wants you to think, but no MT could write that poorly.
I think bb is one of the trolls on these forums. sm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Just stirring up trouble.

^ - What a rude and unnecessary post. - no message for rude posters.

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

Similar Messages:

At Home Jobs Other Than MT
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone know anything about at home rebate processing jobs or taking survey jobs?I keep getting emails about them but you do have to pay out to get started and I was wondering if it was a scam.  ...

Re: Jobs One Can Do At Home, Aside From MT!
Aug 05, 2012

I'm looking for a new job and check on the Craigslist job listings from time to time.  You have to be careful about jobs listed there since some are scams.  I have responded to a few of them when they list the actual company name, and I've been able to research that it's at least a real and reputable business.  I haven't found the right job, so far; but I have gotten a few interviews, so it's a viable option if you're careful.   Anyway, the jobs ...

Billing Jobs At Home
Feb 13, 2011

Does anybody know of some websites for home medical billers?  I have 4 years experience with a degree and was in search for a home job and cannot find any.  ...

Top 10 Work-from-home Jobs On MSN
Oct 12, 2014

I thought 'medical transcriptionist' might be one of them but it wasn't listed, undoubtedly because of the pay.  When I think about the medical-terminology knowledge, attention to accuracy, interpretative skills, diligence, focus, PATIENCE (can you say 'lousy dictator'-!), critical thinking, and--well, you get the idea--involved in our job, not to mention the fact that without our contribution to the medical record, the entire health-care system would coll ...

At-home Customer Service Jobs
Apr 07, 2012

I really want to get away from transcription, but I love working from home. I have heard a lot about customer service reps that work from home. Does anyone know annything about these jobs? I know the pay isn't great, but it is probably more than I am able to make now transcribing. I really want to stay at home and want to look into all options. ...

Medical Coding - How To Search For Jobs At Home
Jul 21, 2010

Hello, I am a MT and wanted to also do coding, could you please tell me how to search for jobs at home once I am done with school ??  Does anybody have a board for coder jobs thanks so much ...

How Can I Get An At-home Transcription Job?
Jun 23, 2012

How can I get an at-home job as a medical transcriptionist? I have been applying constantly at online positions and they all require "experience" already. Please help! ...

Home Transcription Ad...ha
Jul 08, 2012

Love my job as an at-home MT and love working from home, but that set aside, I think we can all agree that if you're looking to make good money, this is likely not the profession to pursue anymore.  So I saw this ad in one of my magazines, August issue:Train at home to Work at Home . . . Be a Medical Transcriptionist . . . Earn up to $40,000 a year. . . Also, there's a picture of a lady at her computer smiling really big with her 4 or 5-year-old daughter in her lap.  Hahahaha ...

New To At-home Transcription
Jan 16, 2014

I am considering doing medical transcription from home. I have never had this sort of job before and need some advice. Does anyone know of a good "starter" company that would offer part-time work?  Is finding a good company just a matter of research and word-of-mouth? I do have 20+ yrs experience. Any advice appreciated!! Thanks! ...

Anyone Out There Doing Anything Else From Home- Besides Transcription???
Oct 29, 2014

Just wondering if anyone is doing something other than transcription from home. Thanks! ...

MT Transcription Area In Your Home, Where Is It?
Jan 25, 2010

Where are you set up?  I am moving my desk and office stuff around, I find if I do that I actually work better (I know that sound strange, but I find that it's true!)  My mother used to move her furniture around every once in a while... LOL Not that it made a huge amount of difference honestly, but it made her happy and it did liven things up a bit. So, my question is, where is your MT station set up in your home?  I thought about moving out by the kitchen and out of my offi ...

If I Was Let Go Of A Home Medical Transcription Job...?
Mar 06, 2010

In previous posts I mentioned that I was let go of a home medical transcription job because I didn't produce the "perfect" amount of work that was needed right away... Anyways, as I mentioned previously, I got this home medical transcription job only a month after I graduated from Rasmussen College and was let go just last month. The story was, when she first hired me she said it would take me 6 months to get perfect at my job, then after the first month she told me she needed me to be per ...

Laptop To Do At-home Transcription
Apr 18, 2010

I have a laptop computer which I love. Am I really restricted to stay in my "office" or will I be able to move around my home in order to do at-home transcription. ...

Funeral Home Transcription?
Sep 11, 2010

Hi all, I wondered if anyone had heard of or done funeral home transcription.   My husband had an interview today at a funeral home and the director told him they had transcriptionist who transcribe the embalmer's reports.  I had never heard of this, but thought this would be something sort of interesting.  Have any of you heard of this before?  ...

Left At Home Transcription....
Jul 02, 2011

I have been doing transcription for about 15 years now. After leaving MedQuist due to their bad management, I have been hopping around for several years not able to find the right match for me. Everything that sounds great at the beginning turns out to be the opposite. Either the pay is cut in half for their horrible speech recognition or it pays well and the program that they use just isn't very productive. I realized I had no choice but go back into the hospitals when my last position ...

Wanting To Transition To At-home Transcription
Mar 12, 2012

Hi, I currently work full-time at a University Hospital in Iowa in the Department of OB/GYN and have been transcribing in this department for 8 years.  I transcribe for the residents and since their notes are so detailed I have experience in typing about other medical conditions besides just gynecology/ob related.  I have an hour commute one way and I am seriously thinking of quitting this job and trying at-home transcription so I can be closer to my daughter during the day.  She ...

Transcription At Home Changed My Life
Jan 19, 2013

In the year 2000 I started making 34,000 then by 2005 I was making over 55,000/year. I bought a house, thought eveything was good. Suddenly in in 2008 I made 37,452 and by 2009 I lost my house, my job and had to live on my 401K money that I had to take out early to survive on, plus unemployment of course. This year 2013 I made 18,000 dollars. I lost my standing in life, I feel depressed alot, I can't take my grandchildren out anymore like I used to, maybe once a year is all I can afford. ...

Working From Home Medical Transcription
May 21, 2014

I have put together a list of work-at-home companies, some transcription but I tried to not include companies you would already see on this site, and some not.  I cannot vouch for any of these companies but I did get them from 2 different sites that were said to be reliable (i.e., not schemes).  Please reply by email if you would like me to email you my list.   ...

Medical Transcription Working From Home
Jan 21, 2015

i am currrently in school how hard is it to get a job from home in transcription or coding? ...

Would You Still Recommend At-home Medical Transcription, In 2011
Nov 05, 2011

I was trained as a Medical Transcriptionist at a two-year college from 1990 to 1992.  I worked at a hospital for a couple of years doing radiology, non-invasive cardiology, and neurology transcription, then I got married and moved.  Soon thereafter, I started work at a mental health clinic as a Medical Transcriptionist with 12 other transcriptionists.  This was in late 1993 and I am still there as of right now.  The 12 transcriptionists have either left or been laid off over ...

Looking To Start Typing Medical Transcription At Home
Jun 21, 2013

I am looking to start doing medical transcription at home. I have 8 years experience in a family physician's office. How do I get started? What is a fair wage?  ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Family Practice MT Needed For P.R.N. Work - Crystals Home Transcription
Sep 23, 2010

Has anyone applied and heard back from this company today? ...

Transcription Jobs
Apr 11, 2013

Looking for a really great company for transcription from home.  Not very happy with current employer.  Who is the best company to work for?  Any recommendations? ...

Psychology Transcription Jobs
Sep 06, 2011

i urge u to inquire about doing transcription at social service agencies. they are overwhelmed with their paperwork. i work for a psychotherapist. he is extremely busy and tells me typing his own notes is one less thing he has to worry about. u can market yourself by telling them they can carry around a hand held dictator and dictate while they are in the car going to their next session. i pick up at the end of the week and finish by the end of the next week. it is a general transcription, few m ...

Are Transcription Jobs Going Down The Drain?
Oct 25, 2012

I work at home for the local hospital/clinic and have for the last 12 years doing transcription.  Now all of a sudden we switched to a new system and a lot of the doctors are doing voice recognition and we are doing more editing of reports than typing.  Also, I used to work a solid 8 hours a day from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Now I have to get up at 4 a.m. to grab work till about 8 a.m., and then there is no work till around noon.  Even after that it is sporadic, hit and miss.&nbs ...

Medical Transcription Jobs
Aug 12, 2013

Does anyone know of any companies out there that are hiring IC MTs?  My one company is very slow and am looking for supplemental work. Thanks so much.  ...

Where Are All The Radiology Transcription Jobs?
Aug 26, 2013

It is just me or does it seems as if the transcription third party companies are focused more on acute care transcription than any other specialty. I have been a radiology transcriptionist for over 20 years. The company I worked for decided to eliminate 13 of us F/T transcriptionists since they converted to VR system and they kept a few aboard. Apparently the radiologists are being trained to edit their own reports. That being said, I'm searching high and low for a F/T position for a radiol ...

Get Medical Transcription Jobs Now .com
Dec 11, 2013

I have tried to click on the jobs on this web site to apply to them and when I click on the "Apply Now" it does not take me to the site. Does anyone know the answer to why this happens? I did not get the impression it is something you have to pay to belong to. Thanks for your help. ...

Have You Noticed All The IC Transcription Jobs
Jun 18, 2015

wanting you to give them a set schedule during set hours and days? Also, how many hours you have to do during those set times? Is that what IC is nowadays? I see the benefit for them, but where's the benefit for me? Am I missing something? ...