A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Job interview tomorrow morning.. - scared

Posted: Mar 02, 2014

I have an interview for a full time medical office assistant position tomorrow morning.  Things are still going pretty well for me with MT right now, but part of me feels like I need to get out now..  BEFORE the bottom falls out... (even though in my situation, there's been no indication to think it it will)

I'm sooo scared to make this change ...scared that I won't get the job, but also strangely scared that I WILL get it.... I have no idea what it pays, but it's 40 hours ... every week, no weekends or holidays.  I'm feeling really insecure and awkward.  I'm in my 50s and so out of the loop, but I really think I need to do this.  I hope I don't subconsciously sabotage my chances before of my fears.. 

I don't think I'll get much sleep tonight :(

oops - scared

[ In Reply To ..]
meant to say *because* of my fears, not *before*.. duh.. :(

You can do it! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Dear Scared: Don't be. You'll do great! And yes, you MUST get a good night's sleep, so head to bed now. I'm in my 50s and went to work in the public sector about 5 years ago, after working at home as an MT for 20 years. It's the best choice I ever made. I have a full time day job totally unrelated to the MT world, and then I work weekends at home as an MT. You're going to be on cloud 9 when you get the job offer! Let us know how it goes, please. :)

To Scared... - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't worry. They already like what they have seen on your resume and wouldn't be interviewing you if they didn't like what they saw or thought you could do the job. I'm sure you have learned a lot from your 20 years as an MT that will aid you in this position should you get it. So just try to relax and remember, they already like what they've seen. You can do it!

Job interview - NY MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Best of luck! Let us know how the interview goes :)

I Did It, You Can, Too! - I am 58 yrs old

[ In Reply To ..]
I was scared, too. It's okay to be scared. A little nerves is okay. If you don't get the job, it isn't personal---it means someone else got the job for whatever reason. These people interview a lot of people, and sometimes it comes down to just 1 or 2 little things.

Good luck to you!

Pray about it. Ask God to bless you with the job. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

and if she doesn't get it? blame Him? best to ask for strength no matter what. - He may have another plan for you. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

I was going to say the same thing - see msg pls

[ In Reply To ..]
When we ask God for something specific like "getting me a job," that just makes us feel like God didn't answer a prayer if we don't get it, or maybe he just liked somebody else better so they got the job. Then you'll be angry with Him, then you'll feel guilty about being angry...

I ask for strength, relaxation, inner peace, things like that.

scared - Egraine

[ In Reply To ..]
The bottom just wiggles in this profession - kinda like California! lol
I am 50 too and just tried 6 months away working at a garden center. Hated every second except that I lost a few pounds walking around! I am taking Career Step now to get into acute care instead of clinical.

I wish you much luck, but I think we will hear from you again soon. :-)

I think it went well :) - scared

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, you guys are so awesome.. THANK YOU for the pep talks and well wishes!!..

Okay, I was a babbling idiot at times, but I think she found it charming.. lol! It turns out it's only part time, three days a week, but four weeks of full training and they agreed to pay what I asked. She said things change all the time and a full time position could come up. She also said that some of the docs are using scribes and asked if I would ever be interested in doing that. I felt so reassured knowing they provide full paid training and they don't just throw you out there. Maybe part time is a good way to start, since I still do okay with MT (for now).

Thanks to all of you lovely ladies again for lifting me up! I don't know if they're going to offer it to me or not, (checking references), but I got through it.. We shall see..

Stay tuned! :)

Pray all goes well for you! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that MT is taking a turn for the worse, and you would be best to get out now before the bottom falls out of it. I've been looking for something like this as well. I sure hope you get the job! :)

Now, kick it old school and send a personal "thank you" letter! - ETOHPRN

[ In Reply To ..]
I landed several jobs because of a simple thank you letter addressed to the interviewer (who in one case was the office manager, another the physician). It was literally just a few sentences thanking them again for their time and me reiterating how I thought they would be great places to work for.

They both said that is what sealed the deal! Type it up and send it out RIGHT NOW so it gets there within 48 hours. Trust me on this!

I wish you all the best--I think you will be surprised at how much you will enjoy those butterflies in your belly that come with a new and positive change! Might make some great new friends too!
:)
Great advice! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't think it was old school, though. I've always done that after any job interview and I've always been offered the job... but never thought it might have sealed the deal. Good manners never hurt :-)

Thanks for posting this.

And it's also a good idea, if applying for multiple jobs and an offer is accepted from one of them, to notify the rest that may be considering you for employment that you have accepted another job. It kind of keeps the door open in case things don't work out with the job accepted.

I know MTSOs and employers more often than not don't communicate a lot in the application process regarding receipt of resumes, etc., but IMO it's always good to keep bridges standing.
Great tip - it works - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I just taught this same exact thing to my 16-year-old son. He kept refusing saying he needed to wait on the call, I said trust me on this ... I have never gotten a job I didn't go after. He called the manager of Chili's back to say thank you for your time and I enjoyed talking to you. He walked away with the job during that call and his first day is today.

ALWAYS call back ... otherwise your application will get pushed to the bottom of the pile. GO AFTER IT!

Very encouraging! (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Even though this is part time, it would get your foot in the door for a scribe position. That would be much more interesting than just transcribing.

Good luck to you. Please keep us posted!

Missed This :) - Research Further

[ In Reply To ..]
That's awesome! Ya gain confidence as you go.

See my message to you just posted below - essentially, letting you know that Julia Child was 50 when she changed careers and obviously that turned out well too :)

Egraine, a bit confused here - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Just a bit confused by your comment of "I am taking Career Step now to get into acute care." Did you attend an MT school previously? If so, you should have learned acute care then. Also, just because you are taking a "course" for acute care, does not guarantee that you will get a job doing acute care. There are differences, yes, but if you have a medical background to begin with, you should be able to do acute care. Why not take a few tests for acute care positions and see how you do on them? I guess I just feel that you are wasting your money with Career Step, but that is just my opinion.

I was just going to say exactly - The same thing

[ In Reply To ..]
She probably only has clinic experience, and thinks that CareerStep will help her.

Egraine--People are getting out of MT in droves, even we acute care people. I did acute care for 15 years. While I did have plenty of acute care work when I quit MT completely, I got out because it was getting harder and harder to make any money.

Why do you think you're going to make more money? Assuming you get a job, assuming you have work, where are you thinking the dollars will come in? Acute care is hard, and it's gotten harder. Ten or more years ago was the time to get acute care experience when things were still good.

And ask CareerStep if they have real-live instructors to get specific feedback from. I think they do not, you're on your own.

Just trying to save you is all. Not everyone who is out of work are clinic people at this point. They're shipping acute care overseas, too.

Julia Child was 50, When She Changed Careers - Research Further

[ In Reply To ..]
...from a typist to housewife to culinary media sensation.

Yes, she had wealthy family connections, but none of those helped her in France, especially in a male-dominated field.

If she can do it, so can you.

Hugs, hope your interview went well :)

Umm, typist? She was a spy. - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
She was a Smith graduate who was too tall for the WACs and WAVEs during WW2, but was too tall, so she joined the OSS instead. She ended up a spook, stationed in Ceylon and China.

Hardly lacking in self confidence. She basically forced herself into the Cordon Bleu. They wouldn't admit women at the time.

My apologies, I was just avoiding anything political on this forum:) - Research Further

[ In Reply To ..]
...as that would be inappropriate.

The point was, she changed careers at 50 and was successful, and it was meant to be encouraging to the poster, who was clearly nervous about a career change, as we all are.

However, if you'd like to get political, I can meet you on that forum instead (again?)

Nothing political about honorable - wartime service.
[ In Reply To ..]
It is a statement of fact. I don't think there is anything controversial about it. She did, IN FACT, work for the Office of Stratetic Services (OSS), the wartime intelligence agency, during WW2. Part of it was spent in the Far East collecting and forwarding intelligence. As far as I can tell, those sorts of folks are called spooks.

She helped win WW2. Nothing wrong with that! The OP can take even more courage from Ms. Child's experience.

I have never been to the politics board, so I can't meet you there "again." Don't care to go there a first time, either. You will have to find someone else to fight with. :-)

Good call on staying off the politics board - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
I made the mistake of taking a stroll through there once. It seems to be full of nutcases and conspiracy theorists and people who apparently believe whatever their favorite provocateur says or writes. It's sad and scary how many people will do almost anything to avoid thinking for themselves.
My take on it - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate your thoughts on that. Yes, I agree with avoiding thinking for themselves, but it sure looks like thought control by outside forces. That response above is so off base it looks like somebody's voices were in charge.

Political? - How on earth
[ In Reply To ..]
could something that is historical fact and not in the least controversial or dishonorable be "political"? What kind of thought process comes up with that? Unless "political" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Similar Messages:

Practicing For Job Interview Tomorrow
May 27, 2014

Everything I have seen about successful job interviewing says NEVER say anything negative about your current employer.  So fellow N MTs, any good suggestions of what I could say that would not be a bald-faced lie? ...

Good Luck Tomorrow Morning For SA5 Area.
Jan 18, 2010

Here I change my hours 1-1/2 years ago to get my primary and secondary and now?  CESSPOOL.  I have had it!!!!!  So if we are running slow tonight, good luck tomorrow morning.  Been this way for practically the last 3 weeks, although it is getting worse!!!  ...

Amphion - Anyone Happy? Interview Tomorrow. Help!
Mar 11, 2012

Just wondered if anyone is happy.  Currently tested and have an interview.  It is for the current job posting.  I am needing something part-time that actually has work.  I have two jobs right now and one is more famine than feast and I really need to get away from that one.  It is going to be mostly VR...but if I get the Escription platform that would be nice since i do like that platform.  Thanks for your help!!!  I have worked for the Q before and well, I can ...

I Have A Job Interview Tomorrow At A Hospital And I'm So Nervous
Sep 24, 2014

I have a job interview at a huge hospital tomorrow for a medical records analyst.  I'm very excited that I even got a call for an interview, but I'm also scared beyond words.  I haven't had a face-to-face interview in 12 years and I've become such a hermit that I'm scared to death of going for an interview, driving there, answering questions, etc.  I went back to school, just finished and got my degree, applied for this job and now I have an interview so i ...

Have An Interview With TeleTech@Home Tomorrow
Sep 24, 2014

They are a customer service at home type of company.  Most positions start off at $9/hour depending on the client.  I'm so nervous.  I want out of MT so bad, I don't want to make another decision I'll regret. ...

Interview With Synernet Tomorrow. Is The Shift Differential Decent?
Jul 16, 2013

I was wondering for you all working at Synernet and working third shift, is the shift differential decent?  I was recently laid off from my job of several years and nervous about having to start over elsewhere.  I was making a decent wage at my last job, but of course due to downsizing lost my job.  This company "seems" to sound good, but don't they all at some point?  Thank you in advance, and if you don't feel like posting on the board, just message me.  Ag ...

I Have An Interview This Morning. I'm Not Sure I
Oct 12, 2012

I've read through these posts and are Nuance and Transcend separate but the same?  What side is better and how do you know what one to ask for?  Is it just the platform that is different?  Any info appreciated. ...

Had An Interview This Morning To Get Out Of MT
Aug 14, 2013

I haven't went to a formal interview in YEARS, but she kept saying how great my resume looked and she said a few times "WHEN you work here" but she would slip in "If you should be hired" sometimes.  She even asked me if I wanted to see "my" office and she seemed excited to show me and she gave me a tour of the entire facility.  That sounds promising, right?  I feel like I'm right on the edge of being able to get out of this horrid nightmare with not being able to pay my ...

Interviewing Tomorrow A.m.
Oct 19, 2010

I'm interviewing tomorrow morning with Amphion.  Even after all of these years in the MT business, I admit that while I'm excited, I'm also a bit nervous.  Has anyone else interviewed with Amphion recently and can clue me in on what to expect?  I was told the interview process would take about 30 minutes but no other details.  Thanks for any input anyone can offer :-) ...

Who Will I Work For Tomorrow?
Oct 10, 2012

Very appropriate. ~ A Nuance MT.   http://hdstoday.com/?p=203#comment-444   ...

Beginning Tomorrow
Feb 23, 2013

beginning tomorrow, I will be working any time, any day, whatever it takes to get my hours/lines in.  There is work in the afternoons and on the graveyard in my region and I will be there.  Whatever it takes. ...

What A Relief. Tomorrow Is My Last Day.
Jun 13, 2013

I turned in my resignation 2 weeks ago and my last day is tomorrow.  No more nagging about line counts and MUP when they can't even pay me minimum wage (although mine is the second highest in the nation).  I've done this work for almost 9 years now and have enjoyed it, but the pay is just getting too low and I'm sure I can find something better in another field.  Good luck to you all. ...

I Am No Longer A MT- Tomorrow Will
Sep 30, 2014

my new life of not dealing with trying to produce a medical report for a MTSO to look good and make profit.  How things have changed in the medical world and it is getting ulgier by the day.  The demands put on MTs are totally unreasonable.  I am walking away because of retirement and I am thankful I can.  I honestly do not know if I could survive under the stress of trying to produce perfection for such minimal pay and know that a MTSO is making as much as me for each line I ...

Off To Virginia Tomorrow
Jan 24, 2015

Well, everything is all set.  I have all my reservations and my travel plans set.  Leaving tomorrow at noon, meeting the team on Monday morning at 8:15.  I'm scared to death!!  Besides this being my first filight EVER, I'm nervous about the second test that I'll have to take - I'm hoping that I pass!   ...

I'm New To MQ- Does The Pay Period End Today Or Tomorrow For The
Dec 14, 2009

They say the new pay period begins on a Sunday, so I was just wondering.  TIA I'm also going to have to teach myself how to use TimeWorks or what ever the clocking system is called.  Is this difficult? ...

No Holiday Pay Tomorrow, Right? My Daughter Gets
Apr 03, 2010

Talk about degrading! ...

Was Looking Forward To Payday Tomorrow Until
Jul 14, 2010

I got an email from HR today that my husband was 'accidentally' added back on my insurance.  Note that he has not been on my insurance for almost a year.  How this happened I have no idea. That means my paycheck tomorrow will have about $400 deducted from it just for that error.  The email basically said "Ooops, sorry about our mistake you will be reimbursed with *next* paycheck." That means a 2-week wait for their mistake.  I am not desperate for the money (thank ...

Boss's Day Tomorrow! If You've Got A Good One Let Them Know.
Oct 15, 2010

I know there aren't very many of you that probably like your boss enough to send them a gift, but if you DO happen to have a nice boss it wouldn't hurt to tell them so they don't become mean and cynical like the rest of them!  Employers like to hear it when they do a good job just as much as the employees do! ...

Interviewing With Medquist Tomorrow.
Jan 10, 2011

Interviewing with Medquist tomorrow.  Good or bad idea to take position if offered?   ...

My Group Is Starting DQ7 Tomorrow. There Goes...smg
Apr 18, 2012

my line count, glug, glug down the crapper.  Have gone over the tutorials about a dozen times, but there are sooo many changes, the main one being in the appearance of the screen.  Also, some key commands stay the same, some now do something totally different, plus there are new ones.    I am sure not looking forward to tomorrow.  ...

Non DSP Conference Call Tomorrow
May 15, 2012

Is there anybody else out there that is a newbie with Nuance and has to attend teleconference tomorrow to go over getting us off of non DSP.  Just curious.  I would like to tell them that if they had consistent QA then it might be easier!! ...

So With Tomorrow Being The Beginning Of A New Pay Period,
Feb 15, 2015

Have I already worked my last day and didn't know it? ...

OT Today, So It'll Be Dead Tomorrow....
May 25, 2015

x ...

Lockout Starts Tomorrow For Our CCM- North
Jul 12, 2010

I know some of you are on lockdown already and for that you have my utmost sympathy and empathy.  We are supposed to start tomorrow.  There are NO HOURS on the swap board and we have been running into NJA every day since MQ did the management shuffle.  I have my resumes out and took some tests this weekend.  Hopefully I will hear something soon so I can get off this merry-go-round that just isn't merry any longer.  I don't want to worry every wee ...

Anyone Else Supposed To Start With Oracle OTI Tomorrow?
Oct 10, 2010

Why no news?  I hired someone to come in tomorrow (a mother's helper) to help with the kids as I assume we are starting tomorrow (originally told on 10/5 but then someone on this board said 10/11).  I don't know how many hours I can work or any details whatsoever.  Anyone else hear anything?  Do I need to scrounge around for ANOTHER IC job?   ...

MQ Put Out The Email For Incentive Starting Tomorrow >:- O
Dec 10, 2010

to get rid of backlog??? Where?? I want some. ...

Another Payday Tomorrow. I Feel A Bout Of
Aug 11, 2011

I wonder just how small it's going to be, this time?   ...

Just A Heads Up That Tomorrow Or Tuesday Is EIDS.
Nov 06, 2011

s ...

My Mentoring Phone Call Is Tomorrow
May 06, 2012

My mentoring phone call is tomorrow. Does everyone get a mentor as well? What do they talk about? I have a list of questions for her but they're mainly about complaints. I'm even going to ask if I can't do my job good enough, then they should do it themselves or even send it back to India. I want to know if this mentoring program is the first step in my being fired. I'm very concerned about my job and maybe I shouldn't ask these questions, but the way they treat us ...

Sure Hope They Cancel The Maintenance Tomorrow
Jan 12, 2013

night since we are going to have to work all through Saturday and Sunday to make up for this. ...