A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is a three day, 12-hour shift difficult to do? - Want out of MT. sm

Posted: Apr 11, 2014

Unit Secretary Job Description:  Prior experience in a medical unit or medical office support position preferred. Minimum High School Diploma or G.E.D. required, graduate of a Medical Assistant or Secretarial Training Program preferred.  Written and spoken use of medical terminology required, successful completion of a medical terminology course preferred. Basic computer expertise in Microsoft Office.  Full time.  Shift will be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., three days a week.  Days Vary.

This job has been advertised for months--is it because a 12-hour shift is hard to do? 

depends on many factors - energy level

[ In Reply To ..]
circadian rhythm, etc. But most likely the job has been open because of administrative hold on it rather than lack of applicants. So many desperate people out there looking for any job. May be a teaser ad, or extremely low salary. However, even low salary would be overlooked by desperate person.

Back in the day I used to work three 12-hour - shifts as a unit secretary

[ In Reply To ..]
and as a technician.

It's definitely a long day and you can only, and I mean only, work your shift on that day. You are pretty darn tired afterwards.

An example of my shifts were one week was M-W-F from 5 am to 5 pm and the next week was T-TH-Sat 5 am to 5 pm.

I liked the days off in between. I don't know if this position you are talking about has a day off in between. There were some times I would pick up an extra shift and work another 12 hour day on my day off. I was young then, so my energy level was good and of course I had no children nor was I married.

It's a hard shift depending on your other responsibilities or how much support you have at home or nearby, but it you do have support I think it is doable, and of course the stamina to keep going that long on a workday.

A friend of mine does this - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It looks as though this schedule posted is similar to hers. You have to be very flexible. It wouldn't work with small kids or kids who are involved in a lot of activities. She works 3 days a week, but the days vary every week. Sometimes she is working Friday through Sunday and other weeks it's during the week. When my daughter is grown and on her own I am seriously looking into doing something like this!

Thanks for the input. I don't have kids or any - OP sm

[ In Reply To ..]
dependents. My natural circadian clock is night time, but by the Grace of God, I have lots of stamina. A day time job plus an evening part-time job is my norm.

Funny thing is that this morning, the first thought on my mind, with urgency, was to apply for this position. Don't know why. I have a part-time retail job already, and I'm pretty sure the retail job won't be accommodating to this hospital position.

I'll go ahead and apply and see what happens. Again, thanks.

good for you - come back

[ In Reply To ..]
and let us know how it goes!

AT HOME? Kidding right? Piece of frigging cake. - 2.5 jobs, not a pansy. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

U wot m8? Did you read the post not-a-pansy? - It is for a UNIT secretary.

[ In Reply To ..]
Not likely to be at home is it?

There is more than 1 position, - most likely, or ...

[ In Reply To ..]
You seem to be assuming this is an ad for just one position and that it hasn't been filled.

How big is this hospital? They may have vacancies quite often and either have several at once or leave this ad up all the time in order to get a pool of applicants they can choose from in a hurry. Another possibility is that they are trying to fill a training class they only offer once a quarter or something.

Twelve hour shifts are inconvenient, but it is more likely that they have periodic turnover when people in the jobs graduate from nursing and other allied health programs all at once.

I LOVE those type of schedules. - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
When my kids were younger (adults now) I worked three 12 hr shifts Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I went to school during the week, while they were in school and got to be home with them all week, get them off to school, pick them up from school, make dinner every night etc.

It worked very well for me, but I didn't have the alternating days. I actually preferred Fri, Sat & Sun so I could focus on school and my children throughout the week. Three days on, four days off...I loved it.

Is this transcription? - DKAK

[ In Reply To ..]
Because of the limitations I faced with problems with power, Internet and then work running out, I tried to work while I could, which converted to 24 hours on Sunday and 16 hours on Monday. I wouldn't recommend it, but I did that for a couple of years before they decided my failure to get my audit scores above 99.6 was due to this intense schedule. (Even when they put me on 8-hour, 5 days a week, my scores didn't change.)

It's wonderful getting the 3 days over (above) and having the rest of the week yourself. But it is something you have to work into. AT first it seems all you do is sleep or trying to catch up.

The schedule is about a Unit Secretary - position in a large hospital. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Not a transcription job at all.

Similar Messages:

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

A 2-hour Shift Tonight, Then I Am GONE...
Dec 16, 2011

Ahh, there is light at the end of the tunnel! Just hope I am not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.  :/ ...

Nuance 14-hour Day Shift (6A-8P) !!!
May 17, 2015

Forget shift differentials with this joint, too.   Can you imagine being the parent of one of these goons? I'd be so ashamed. ...

One Hour Into My Shift, Did A Whopping 2 Jobs!!!
Feb 26, 2013

On a brighter note, did 2 loads of laundry and mopped the floor!! ...

One Hour Into My Shift, Have Had 3 Jobs. Guess I'm Done For The Day
Feb 28, 2013

Waiting..waiting..waiting.  No work coming up. Guess I'm done.  Today, had a whopping 3 jobs. ...

It Is Only 1 Hour Into My Shift, And My Hands Are Shot Already
Jan 05, 2014

So many corrections and so much missing punctuation that I an excruciatingly sore already! I was barely able to move my hands last night because they hurt from so many corrections. Grrrrr ...

How Many Lines Required An 8-hour Shift For Editing?
Feb 21, 2010

Does any one have any requirements for editing for an 8-hr shift?  I know for straight typing is usually required to type 1200-1500.  Thanks in advance. ...

Average Line Counts On An 8-hour Shift Doing Speech Recognition?
Sep 23, 2011

What are the average line counts on an 8-hour shift doing speech recognition?  I use Dictaphone/Extext.  I'm producing on average about 240/hr sometimes less. Any info appreciated. ...

What Does 1200 Lines Per 8 Hour Shift Equal In Words Per Minute?
Jan 03, 2012

What does 1200 lines per 8 hour shift equal to in words per minute? ...

I Have A Question. I Work For A Very Difficult Account With Very Difficult ESLs. Other People Have
Jan 30, 2014

to dump these reports so the owner doesnt have to pay QA for them because they cant do them at all.  They QA the whole report almost.  I am totally burnt out with this and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there. ...

30 Minutes Into My 8 Hour Shift And Surprise Surprise
Mar 22, 2015

NJA!  Yeah your TAT is looking great but your employee morale is even worse than it was. ...

MModal Still Has Shift Differential For Night Shift?
Jul 01, 2013

can anyone tell me if MModal still has shift differential for night shift? I know they used to ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

How To Transition From Day Shift To Night Shift
Dec 08, 2013

I've been offered an in-house MT position that I am not passing up. It is night shift 10 pm to 6 am. I've never worked a night shift ever. How should I transition into working nights? Anyone have any tips for working this shift? ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

Anyone Else's Job Getting More Difficult
May 27, 2015

My account went to Epic, not the first time I've lost an account to Epic, so I should be used to this by now.  All these little partial dictations of a couple lines or less makes it extremely hard to get a decent line count/make money (!). That, in addition to no punctuation and apparently the speech rec engine has to start "learning" the dictators all over again.  It's just horrible.  Words of support or encouragement desperately needed. ...

VR-How Difficult Would It Be To Get An Account Where...sm
May 25, 2010

you just edited their VR program?  What software would you need/use and how would they send it to you, etc.  Moving out-of-state and thinking of ways to get new business.  Thanks in advance for any help! ...

Difficult Dictation
Jul 12, 2011

Can someone please advise how to handle one physician in practice who mumbles and rambles?  I believe someone has spoken to him before, but it has not gotten better.  I have many years of experience, but must leave many blanks in his dictation.  This is very frustrating and time consuming for me.  Thanks ...

Difficult To Understand...
Aug 02, 2011

Just sitting here laughing to myself as I listen to an ESL dictator that I've had report after report by, heavy accent, talking about how difficult it was for him to get an exam done with a patient who is "difficult to understand due to language barrier."  HA!!!!  Welcome to my world. ...

CMT Exam - How Difficult It Really Is
Sep 30, 2011

I've worked as an MT for 10+ years, but haven't taken the CMT exam. I'm wondering how difficult it really is. Do I need to study for a month straight or is it fairly easy? ...

Is Radiology Difficult?
Oct 20, 2011

I have done everything else in tier 2, but I have only done a few radiology reports a long time ago, can't remember.  What's radiology like? ...

Difficult Dictators
Oct 26, 2014

As above, I hope in the future this particular issue could be addressed.  This problem is already escalating (at least from where I am now).  This was made even worse by the advent of the SR system.  So, probably some form of counseling or even penalty (major or minor) can be imposed on the dictator if he/she fails to comply.  Coz the way I see it producing a good or even the best transcript is not just the MT's responsibility, but also the dictator's.  I hope these dictators do e ...

How Difficult Is Andrews?
May 03, 2015

I am an MT, I am 51, I haven't been in school for over 30 years.  I know there was a discussion below about being too old to start school.  But I wonder from the MTs who did this in their 50s, did you have trouble with the work?  I am not stupid, I don't feel that I am too old, but I am afraid that I won't be able to do it.  Just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.  Please no comments about if I don't think I can do it, I won't be abl ...

How Difficult Is An Online MT School?
Dec 23, 2009

I'm seriously considering enrolling at one of the "top two" MT online schools.  I'm good at English grammar, spelling, type over 100 wpm with 98% accuracy, a perfectionist, and am also very focused.  I do have a full-time job, but can easily devote evenings and time on the weekends to complete the course.  I'm up for a challenge, but after doing quite a bit of research, this sounds really difficult.  Feedback please! ...

Remember When The Difficult Dictators
Mar 02, 2010

were supposed to be paid more for doing?  MQ knows exactly what it is doing and knows very well that things need to be sent to QA.  This is nothing but a reason to drop our wages to Indian wages, they have no respect for us at all.  They are now putting these rules on us, THEY ARE, and then saying it is totally on the MTs shoulder for anything that goes wrong.  Is this legal?  ...

FTR...highly Difficult Dictator
Mar 15, 2010

First day for me beginning FTR.  Started out very well, no markers, then BOOM!!.....right into one of the most difficult doctors.  Ugh!  This is one we discussed in our "conference call" for FTR.  This is frustrating because we were told that it does not matter how difficult the dictator is, there will be no exception as to sending anything to QA.  I'm sitting here with about 8 blanks yet to fill...unsure what to do. First time to post on this board, but I've ...

ESL Dictators - Difficult Enough To Understand
Nov 30, 2010

It is difficult enough to understand some of the foreign dictators but when they dictate with monitors beeping, nurses and doctors talking, in the middle of their lunch -brups/cruch/slurp and then they WHISPER ... UGH!!!  It sure makes for a long, long work day!  Just once I would love for a manager to send that message to the hospital to please ask the doctor to either speak up or move to a quieter place to dictate ... alas that never happens and we suffer through the report ... but at lea ...

Any MTs In California Who Have Found It Difficult To
May 09, 2011

find an MT job?  I'm currently with a horrible company (you guessed it, starts with M)...and would like to try elsewhere, but I am worried that another MTSO won't hire MTs in California anymore because of their strict employee laws (which are fair to the employee but I'm sure employers don't like)...... So, any CA MTs out there who found a job fairly easily recently?  Thanks in advance for any replies.  ...

Inscribe Good?  Difficult?
Sep 13, 2011

Anyone ever work for Inscribe?  Good?  Difficult?  Helpful?  Accommodating?  Pay on time?  etc.    ...

Need Help With Word But Context Is Difficult - Sm
Apr 30, 2012

Hope someone can help.  This doc is very meandering with his dictation, but so far he states that the patient has insomnia, sleeps with her mouth open, and has noisy GI sounds.  Then he dictates: She has a number of relatives that have had s/l gambla phlebitis.  Does anyone know what this is and how it's spelled.  Appreciate any help! ...