A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTSOs - why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line - anOldOldMT

Posted: Mar 13, 2012

It's beyond me why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line, even 0.08 stinks.  Are we all that desperate to let these companies get away with not paying a living wage?  It's outrageous.  As long as MTs send their resumes to these companies and apply for these positions, the longer it will take to bring us back to the pay level we deserve.   At this point, i'd rather starve then sell my soul to the devil.

I look at it in a different view - notsooldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've only been doing this for 5 years and started out less than what you said above. I make the same amount of $$$$ staying home and working as I did working in an office as an office nurse. This way, I'm home when my child is sick and I'm home when she gets out of school every day.

This pay is all I've known as an MT. I would feel differently if I had been one of you who made great money doing this in the 90s. I guess I still feel pretty fortunate to work at home. I know I won't get rich, but I wasn't getting rich before either and had tons of stress and had a commute, and the pressure of even taking my child to the doctor when she was sick as my employer gave me a hard time about it.

So, I understand what you are saying, but some of us see those rates as okay and are willing to work with them. I'm sorry that doesn't sit well with most of you, but that is how it is, at least for me.

you're underpaid - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
look at equivalent jobs that pay the same - do you have the same level of skills, or greater? Could you do their job, and they yours? Or maybe you could do their job for the same pay - but they could NEVER do your job as an MT.

So why are getting the same pay? It's called exploitation.

I agree - - sbmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I should not be making what I am making after 13 years of doing this job and constantly improving my skills/accuracy, etc. My daughter who has been a hairdresser for about a year makes more than I do.
good for your daughter... - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
...but sad, sad, sad for us...infuriating, when I stop to think about it...and lately, I do!
Notsoold, I understood and felt much the same at your - age. However, the cumulative effect
[ In Reply To ..]
effect of years of wages that may well fall below even working class is still ahead of you. Yours is presumably a second income, so you're getting along okay, but our system today is based on two full-time ordinary incomes. You're probably losing as much as $20K a year, not only not earned but not invested in your home and other investments, etc., and thus not even growing with inflation over the decades. Your Social Security check will be based on your total earnings over the years, so your losses from this period of your life will continue to accumulate through to the very end regardless of other work you may do later on.

Are you making a mistake by being home for your child? Not by my measure. But it would be far, far more profitable to spend this time getting a degree that would ultimately allow you to work part time for significantly more, and later full time for the kind of money that would allow you to support yourself nicely on your own if anything happened to your primary earner.

As it is, only luck and maybe family charity are standing between most people in your situation and a food line, making the choice to work for some "extra" shopping money a potentially very dangerous self indulgence.
Thank you, yes I understand - notsooldmt
[ In Reply To ..]
I've wondered about some of those things. I'm thinking in a few years (if I last that long) that I'm going to be changing jobs. I'm looking into taking some college classes online. This will all be easier when my daughter is grown. For now, I'm just holding on until then as I just don't want her to be a latchkey kid. you know what I mean?

I consider myself lucky to work at home and make what I made before. If I was like many of you and had taken a significnat pay cut by doing the same work then yes I would be ticked off.

I honestly believe editing is for the birds.

yes, you're right. - notsooldmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. Maybe we all should demand more and fight for it. I guess I have felt lucky staying home, but we do have to know a lot and that should be taken into consideration.

notsooldmt - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
The things you stated in your post are the MAIN reason that MT wages have gone down instead of up. Many people got into this profession because of having children and thinking they would have "flexibility." I just interviewed with a company that wants the MT to adhere to a STRICT schedule (second shift). There are many of us out there, and I am an old-timer, who have to rely on our incomes alone to SURVIVE. We do not have a husband or source of a second income and at my age, one job is all I can handle. Many people got into this profession by the "lure of working from hom and making wonderful money." I am in my mid-50s, and wanting to get out of this profession. Last year, I was evicted because on the wages that I was making, I could not afford my day-to-day living expenses. Why? Because of wages. I found your response to be rather smug and I am sure that you have a second source of income to where you are working to help out with expenses and are willing to settle for what the MTSOs are paying now. Try to put yourself in the shoes of some of the other MTs on this board.

You have my sympathy...and anger - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I think there is discrimination going on here too - you may not agree - but it's interesting, it's by and large (not completely, but pretty close) WOMEN in the United States - who are doing the unpaid household labor, or taking care of family members, who want to be an MT at home IN ORDER TO (sorry for all caps) PERFORM THEIR OTHER UNPAID DUTIES IN THE HOUSEHOLD.

There are men who are in this position too - haven't heard from any of 'em, saying, I got kids to look after so I want to work at home - as an MT - but I am going to assume they are out there.

So this is a protected class (women, under the law) being exploited DUE TO our other unpaid work in the home.

Anyway, that is where some of my reasoning is going. You may disagree - but in any event, I sympathize with the pain and terror, yes, I think it's economic terror that people feel, when your pay evaporates and good-paying jobs are hard to come by (especially when age-ism comes into play).

Done with rant.

Her board name alone hints at age discrimination, - which is rampant in this country.

[ In Reply To ..]
The "work at home" lure was a goldmine for those sharks. They knew that drew in a certain demographic that was easiest to exploit.
no, I wasn't discriminating - notsooldmt
[ In Reply To ..]
I was referencing more in terms of tenure and not age of the person. I have respect for all of the older MTs. They have a vast knowledge of this profession and wish I could work beside some to learn more.

That is, unless MT jobs are going to sink even lower to 2 cents a line, then I doubt I could hang with it.
thank you - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
that's exactly it. Or, they saw us already in a nice small safe channel, and they thought this'll be easy pickings.

no second source of income. I'm a single mom - notsooldmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm it. No other source of income. I didn't think my reply was smug. I said that I understand how all of you must feel. I feel for all of you who have had wages cut. I would hate that. I've just never made that kind of money, so therefore I guess these little wages are what I'm used to and I'm ok with that.

I really do believe we are all underpaid for what we do though. I've learned more about medicine since being an MT than I did in all the years as an office nurse. I'm still learning every day.

We are required to know what doctors know, in terms anyway, and still make a quota. It can be a bit much at times.

why are you okay with "little wages?" - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
Is it what your mother and/or father had? Do you go to a church that instructs its followers to be meek and obey - even at work, to their own economic disenfranchisement? Is it internalized sexism?

What is it that makes ANY WOMAN "okay" with "little wages."

I'm serious - where does this belief come from, that it's okay - AND for your CHILD??????
wow you are so judgmental - notsooldmt
[ In Reply To ..]
These are the wages I was making as an office nurse. In this town I live in, $12-$14 an hour is not so bad. Maybe it is where you come from. My child is doing great btw! Why are you still with MTing and settling for these low wages??????? What job do you do where you are making major bucks? Are you going to law school? Going for your doctorate? Please do share what you are doing so you aren't such a meek WOMAN who wants to sit there and take such small wages.

I'm earning a living for myself and my daughter. It's better than most here in this town I live in. If you had read any of my posts you would see that I'm not looking at this to be a long-term career for me. It is working right now though.

Why didn't you get out sooner if it was so bad? Why are you still here?

thank you - sick of it
[ In Reply To ..]
wheresmyjob offers very little other than putting others down or complaining.
Wow - that is so not true
[ In Reply To ..]
I find wheresmyjob's posts to be insightful and truthful. No, I am not her, but I appreciate the effort she is making to change her circumstance and everyone else's. Things will not change unless we are honest, talk about it, and do something about it. She is actively working on a project to get paid what she is worth.
she was rude and hateful - notsooldMT
[ In Reply To ..]
and she still hasn't answered my questions.

Just because she is unhappy and bitter doesn't mean the rest of us are meek little women who are just taking a lower pay to be submissive. As I said before, I get paid pretty good compared to other women in my town AND I work at home.

I don't have to get fixed up with makeup and hair and wear heels every day to work.

wheresmyjob has issues that only she can straighten out. She doesn't need to criticize and bash others just to get her point across. Her point is actually lost in all of her rants because of how she presents it.

If I was that unhappy I would change things, but not put others down in the process. I don't take people seriously who have to lash out and hit below the belt to make their point.
thank you...my "project" is unfolding nicely - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
most important thing - think it through, as much as you can. 'Cause you know the MTSOs are thinking things through...as well as their lawyers.

And no, you're not me :) I testify to that!
I get it. - JustMe
[ In Reply To ..]
I must live in a town like yours. In my town, there are very few jobs for ladies if you're not a teacher or a nurse at the one hospital that we have. The men all work at the mill. But the women are offered jobs that pay $8-9 bucks an hour, so I feel like I'm almost rich compared to some of them. I'm on my way out of MT now after about 10 years of it. I'm in school while working (hopefully) my last MT job an hour away from my town. I spend about 300 bucks a month on gas but I still make more than those ladies in my home town.

When putting yourself in some MTs shoes - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I think if I were evicted because I could not earn a single living as an MT, I would find another line of work where I could. You can't do that? That is the point right there! It is not fair to blame others because your wages have gone down. Many MTs are in this profession for different reasons, all different I am sure, and are making a decent (not great) living at it.

Wages have gone down everywhere. MTSOs can not compete with offshore wages. They can not stay in business and pay you $60,000 or $70,000 a year. Thus, they use VR. This has not been perfected so far as to be fair to the MT in my opinion. However, there are still many of us who are happy with our jobs and make a decent living, single and married. It is hard to say what any one MT is worth as far as what they should earn. I currently earn right at $40,000 doing VR and straight typing. This is a $17,000 cut from the year before. I do not like that, but I already know that I am not going to go out and find another job making more than $40,000 without a degree, and likely not even with one. I do not have to spend money on clothes and gas, which should also be figured into my income for a true calculation. For me, maybe not you, $40,000 is a good living for what I do.

I would say that in the future, we will see wages anywhere from $25,000 to $50,000, give or take, in this industry. This will suit some and they will be happy doing it. Others will not. This will be a weeding out process, as we have already seen with the number of MTs leaving the industry. Others have been here too long, and cannot leave. That is not going to change the evolution of things. As the poster said, she makes more than she did nursing. So her "little wages," may not suit you, and your can blame her for your plight, but being smug is actually blaming someone else for it. Perhaps if ALL work were brought back to the U.S. by closing tax loop holes, it would make a difference. Perhaps 6 cpl for VR will become the norm. Some companies do pay more than 3 and 4 cpl. As for 7-8 cpl for straight typing. When I made that back in the day, I turned it into $36,000 or $38,000 a year. I would like to think I am worth more, but that is self-defeating. I can't blame someone else who is happy with it because I am not, and I can't get more. Again, go outside of the MT industry, with little other experience, no degree, pay for gas and clothes, and see how much better you do.

I don't know what your income is, but obviously you have not been able to live on it. Blaming other MTs is not the answer. Things are changing. Some people belong here, some do not.

Was working for 4cents but I quit - Myla

[ In Reply To ..]
I am employee at a hospital and get paid $130 a day which I like better.

Congratulations... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
...I'll try to be inspired by your example.

whoa! That's great! - notsooldmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe a job like that will be around when my daughter is older. I just wonder if everything will eventually go to EMR? I had thought about taking coding classes, but I'm hearing that may be obsolete in a few years too. sigh..

Huzzah!! I hope and pray that more women will do the same, if they can. (nm) - MTaGoGo

[ In Reply To ..]
x

$130 a day - Do the math

[ In Reply To ..]
Assuming that's a full time job, it calculates to $2600 a month, which is $16.25 an hour. Is that what you are calling big non-MT bucks?

it works for me. - Myla

[ In Reply To ..]
130 dollars a day is better compared to making 4 cpl. Do the math:
4 cents x 1800 lines equals 72 dollars a day.

$130/7 hours equals $18.57 per hour (employee status for a local hospital)

You need to check your math.
I prefer being a full time employee for 7 hours a day at $18.57 instead of making 72 dollars a day and having to work 8 to 10 hours just for that.
Works for you - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Myla, I'm glad you found something that works for you. If my math is wrong I'm sorry, that's why I'm a word person. With all the negative info about MT wages, please share where to find non-MT jobs without a college degree or other work experience. I've been an MT since I was 20 (it was my choice because it was what I loved) but now I'm 57, and though I have tried to find something else to do, it is extremely difficult. Most clerical jobs are entry level and pay accordingly, it's very difficult to start over. Many here have talked about getting college degrees, but by the time I would finish I'll be ready for Social Security.
No one enters a new field making top dollar, that's a pipe dream for those of you who think it will happen. I'm currently paid an hourly wage with benefits for MT and am paid well but it's all relative, and as I said in my other post, the on site gig has gotten to the point where it is not worth the stress I've had to deal with of late. At this point in my life, I think I'd be happy doing MT at home and probably working for less money. For those of you hating your job and the pay but still hanging in there, hsve you tried to find anything else? Many people say they are getting out of MT and moving to greener pastures, but I wonder how many have actually found succees, especially the 50-somethings.
What's your current position at the hospital? - (no message)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

RE: Do the math - what is sounds like she is saying is

[ In Reply To ..]
is that she got an MT job making $130 a day, which is a lot better than working for 0.04 cpl or 0.05 cpl on VR trying to average that dollar amount if not more each and every single day.

And hey, I'll take that $130 a day with decent insurance any day over voice recognition. Maybe not "big bucks", but a lot less stressful, same doctors, no worrying with account specifics etc.

And if she is paid by he line she can easily increase her earning potential. I would love to get back into a hospital. All the ones in my area are outsourced.

poor pay - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I am seeing some for 6 CPL now. I can't pay my bills on these line rates.

This will come full circle ... - NeverSettleForLess

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked with a company for a decade. We tried VR for a year or so. My employer dumped it thankfully. It was costing them $.05 a line to use the software (I guess thus the reason we're paid so poorly to edit VR).

These big national companies think they can hire off-the-street folks to edit medical reports and pay them minimum wage. Eventually, this will hit the fan. If you don't know what's supposed to be there in the report, then many, many errors will be made. Someone off the street can surely read the reports, but knowing what's supposed to be there is a completely different thing.

My company does strictly all local clinic work. I feel very lucky we have happy accounts and a small company that values us. I would NEVER settle for the low (some of which seem illegal to me) line rates I see offered on these boards. Some of these companies are teetering on trouble and eventually crap will hit the fan.

It may take a minute, but I see this industry coming full circle eventually and back to being valued parts of the process. Medical transcription isn't being taught anywhere now (except online), experienced MTs are leaving for better jobs/different careers, and all that will be left are inexperienced MTs who won't be able to tow the line for some of the more difficult accounts and dictators. They'll have to pay a decent rate to hire experienced MTs who CAN actually edit these reports (or type them).

Rather starve than sell your soul? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
OldOldMT, that was spoken like someone who has a second income in her household. People need jobs and are glad to have them. MTs used to be in demand but now they are not. I'm in my late 50s and finding a job in another field is easier said than done at my age. I have a great on-site MT job now, but frankly I'm sick of the office politics and the uncertainty of not knowing from one day to the next how many MTs are going to survive the cuts they are planning to make in our department since conversion to a point and cliok system, and the possibility of outsourcing the entire department. Personally, I'm ready for something low key after nearly 2 years in the line of fire. I can take early retirement and use a job with an MTSO to supplement my income. I'm to the point where my mental and physical health are worth more than big bucks. Apparently, what we think we deserve and what they think we deserve are 2 different things.

Your're so wrong - anOldOldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Husband is unemployed many years; I've been unemployed for almost 2 years. Too much education, too much experience, MTSOs won't hire. MTSOs pay slave wages. Starbucks won't even hire.

Your knowledge is as great, if not greater, than a doctor's. Most doctors are so specialized, they have no idea what is happening in other areas of medicine. They can't pronounce the names of drugs, but you have to figure out what they are saying. If you leave a blank because you can't make out what he's saying or maybe he's an ESL doctor with a heavy accent, your pay is reduced because you left that blank. I'd rather leave the blank and have someone listen to it because that is showing you do quality work, you don't make up things. Over the many years I've transcribed, I've seen so many MTs making up things just so they don't leave a blank and have their pay reduced, hoping no one will notice that they made up something and they get away with it.

So, if you want to work like a slave, be my guest!

Agree to disagree - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe your knowledge is greater than a doctor's but I don't delude myself into thinking that mine is. I'm definitely not qualified to perform surgery or prescribe meds, I probably spell better than most of them, though. I have found that the MTSOs are hiring, although I've passed on quite a few jobs based on what I've read here, and the fear of leaving my on site job (see my post) for something new and untried. I don't know about Starbucks but I can attest how difficult it has been for me to find a job outside of MT. I've never made anything up to avoid leaving a blank, this is actually the first time I've heard of anyone doing that. After 35 years as an MT I've experienced a lot of what you are describing, however. How does leaving a blank mean that you work like a slave? Even if the wages weren't to my liking, I still think that a paycheck would be better than not having one at all, and needing to put food on the table has never been considered selling out.

Really?!? - time4achange

[ In Reply To ..]
I disagree with a couple of your assertions. First, I have never had my pay docked for leaving a blank. In every company I know of, leaving a blank means that you are conscientious, which is very important and has always been appreciated, at least in my experience. Secondly, I certainly do NOT know more than a doctor. There is a big difference between verifying what he or she said and saying it. I will agree that MTs need both broad and highly specialized ranges of knowledge and some pretty amazing powers of concentration -- what seems like bordering on mind reading sometimes! I don't think there are many people who can do what we do and do it well -- and I definitely think we're worth more than the ten bucks an hour that people are saying they're ekeing out. But if I have a "brain fart" and can't remember a dosage or a specific instruction, I pause and look it up, and the consequence is it might cost me a few cents. If a doctor or a nurse has a brain fart, there's no time for looking it up -- and the consequence is the patient might suffer harm. I don't feel like a slave. I've never been treated like a slave. I think we are all an important part of the team that cares for the patient. But our skill set is completely different from that of a hands-on provider.

MTSO get away with murder!! - mountaintyper

[ In Reply To ..]
You're absolutely right on!! The MTSO's get away with murder. They keep us isolated so we don't know what's really going on. The QA's manipulate the queues and have free reign to treat us however they wish. Someone should point out to them that without us THERE IS NO MTSO. They're getting mucho rich on our backs -- and all for the glory of working at home. Whatever the MTSOs dictate we have to take because we're all basically in the dark and isolated with no one to "compare notes" with -- and THEY LOVE IT. Transcription used to be such a coveted skill -- we were respected for our knowledge. I wish I had the time and resources to unionize all of us -- but I guess that's just a pipe dream. Now that I'm so close to retiring I just want to get through the last few months and say goodbye to all this nonsense. If anyone ever tells me they want to go into MT home work, I'll tell them to RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. This is my rant for the day.

thank you so much for posting - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
myself, I'm ready for the light of day.

Exactly! - anOldOldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
That's exactly what I mean by slave labor; you are isolated, kept in the dark, you're manipulated by the MTSOs, paid low wages. Mountaintyper, I'm with you, if I had the $$, I'd be out there with you to get us unionized because certainly no one has stood up for us, not even AHDI.

Thank you, thank you. - mountaintyper

[ In Reply To ..]
OldOldMT: Sorry that I'm just seeing your post so many days later. Thank you for being a kindred spirit. How did such a well respected skill turn us into what we see on post after post on this site?? We have an incredible skill and an enormous fund of knowledge, yet we are treated so shabbily!!! and for what -- the glory of working at home. Oh how I wish we could unionize and show these MTSOs how desperately they need us. Remember, without the MT, THERE IS NO MTSO!! They need to have that drummed into their heads. Again, thanks for the post.

Similar Messages:

IC For 7 Cents A Line For Straight Transcription....sm
Aug 23, 2011

and 3 cents for VR?  Unbelievable!  That equates to about 5 cents and 2 cents per line respectively after taxes, and they require a second or third shift schedule.  Are they serious?  I guess some MTs are content to work for little more than minimum wage.  Too bad! ...

Okay, If You Were Making .04/line With VR But Offered 08/line With Transcription . . . Unlimited Amt
Apr 22, 2010

I do have some benefits with the VR job, but not good enough to even take them on right now.  After 3 months I will start accruing PTO up to 12 days a year.  Is it worth it?  I was thinking having benefits would be really nice for once in the last 16 years, but now I am thinking it may not be worth the struggle to make a living on VR.  They said the platform for transcription is chartnet or chartscript?  What do you all think? ...

How Much Does Transcend Pay Per Line For Straight Typing? NM
May 25, 2012

NM ...

MTSOs Are Counting Spaces In Their Line Counts?
Jun 10, 2010

Anyone know if the MTSOs are counting spaces in their line counts?  Is the standard still a 65 character line?   ...

Avg IC Line Rates For Experienced MT/QA Straight Type And ASR? Nm
Jun 08, 2015

Switching from employee to IC for first time in my life and have seen low rates offered. What is the typically going rate? Shouldn't it be higher for straight typing and because you are an IC and not employee?   Thanks! ...

WEBMEDX Line Counting Could Affect ALL MTSOs,a Must Read
Aug 19, 2010

http://www.executivehm.com/article/Transcription-in-the-21st-century/ This article (above link)  has quotes from present COO of Wedmedx who is President of MTIA and used to be former Spheris boss.  This article explains how the MTSOs want our lines counted.  It explains how they want to take away all keystrokes that cannot be seen by the naked eye.  Won't this effectively save the hospitals and MTSOs from paying MTs for up to 1/3 of the keystrokes w ...

MT Line Became A 65-character Line Instead Of A Gross Line?
Feb 21, 2015

Does anyone remember when, and why, an MT line became a 65-character line instead of a gross line? And what company was responsible for this, if any? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

VR Line Count - What Kind Of Line Production Should I Shoot For
Mar 24, 2011

I was just hired on with a company to do strictly VR. I am only going to be working part time so about 4 hours a day. I am wondering from those who do VR what kind of line production should I shoot for in 4 hours of work? What is the normal VR line count for part time? I have read that most who are working full time or 8 hours a day are doing more than 1,000, even 2,000 a day. The company I will be working for wants a minimum of 10,000 lines in a payperiod which the lady said even with part time ...

10 Cents A Line For Transcription And 5-6 Cents A Line For VRE?
Mar 19, 2015

Are there any companies out there that pay at least 10 cents a line for transcription and 5-6 cents a line for VRE? This career is not what it used to be!  ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Line Counting Software - 65 Characters Per Line
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is for 65 characters per line with no spaces.  Can't that be done in Microsoft Word as well? ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

Best On-Line Transcription Service
Oct 20, 2009

I have worked for Spheris and MedQuist in the past (5 years ago).  Do these companies still provide computers to their new hires. What else is out there now. Any new or better companies to transcribe for  ...

Any Info On New Line Transcription
May 31, 2010

Would appreciate any info on this company. Thanks. ...

LPH Average For Straight Typing - Please No Neg About MTSOs, Just A #
Feb 28, 2013

If you are doing straight typing - or you did in the past - what was roughly your lines per hour?   I realize many people have lost these types of accounts and are extremely frustrated with MTSOs, etc.  That is not what I am asking about though...I am just looking for numbers.   Thank you  ...

So NOBODY Pays Over .08/line For Ic Transcription Anymore?
Apr 12, 2010

nm ...

Now Different Line Requirements For SR Reports Vs Transcription
May 27, 2010

Spheris minimum line count was 127.5 lines per hour, and after taken over by Medquist, they had a meeting. They said this was nothing to do with Medquist's higher line requirement, but they said if we do only SR work, then we have to do 192 lines per hour. Straight transcription is still 127.5 lines an hour. They do pay less for SR lines than transcription, but still as long as we got our line counts in during our shift, they were happy. How do we keep straight our line count for SR and TR ...

Transcription Doctors-line Count
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone know how to check their line count per report? Thanks. ...

Transcription Line Rates Expectations
Oct 23, 2012

Copied directly from an advertisement for a transcriptionist for a hospital setting;  2. Transcribes an average of 10,000 lines per day, based on an 8 hour day.   now, can anybody really do this?  lol.  maybe they are talking speech rec, but even this would be a lot to expect.  Wonder if they pay incentive for going over line requirements.  ...

Transcription Doctors' Ad For Paying 3 Cents A Line
Apr 16, 2012

Hey, I thought the moderator "unposted" the jobs that were posted here if they paid less than 4 cents a line.  I wonder whatever happened to that?  It seems like I read that somewhere, anyhow.  At 3 cents a line, TTD is  beginning to bump up against the states' minimum wages.  The only way that I see that they will be able to get around that is by saying they will hire independent contractors only, and I don't think we are all so stupid as to take 3 ...

Acute Care Transcription - Going Line Rates?
Nov 26, 2012

Hi, am new to the boards.  Have recently started acute care transcription, H&Ps, discharge summaries, etc.  Can anyone help with what the going line rates are (65 character line).  Thanks. ...

My Thoughts Regarding A Company Paying 6 Cent Per Line For Transcription.
Oct 20, 2010

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Wages were more than that 15 years ago!!!!!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Tee hee hee hee hee.  You just might get a newbie but you certainly will not keep them long!!!! Oh, ho ho ho ho.  HA HA HA HA!  Why don't you hire a brain surgeon for $30,000 a year?  He he he he he.  Above minimum wage; he should be impressed.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Wait - there is more.  Hohohohoho, hahahahahahahahahaha.  I ju ...

Medical Transcription - What Is The Minimum Line Count Required
Dec 27, 2011

What is the minimum line count required for your jobs. ...

Nuance: Speech Recognition Versus Transcription Line Counts
May 13, 2012

As I was working today I thought about speech versus transcription, and it occurred to me that I was transcribing a good deal in each speech report I "edited." Why is transcription done for a full report paid any differently than transcription done in a speech report? In other words, why don't I get paid my transcription line count for the characters I am transcribing in a speech report, particularly since a great deal of these speech reports require almost re-transcribing completely due to ...

Nuance Line Counts - Required Line Counts?
Jan 01, 2013

Can you tell me what the required line counts are for Nuance please ? ...

Is 8 Cpl For Straight Transcription As An IC Too Low?
Dec 17, 2011

I'm looking to transition from being an employee to an IC postion.  I've been offered 8 cpl for straight transcription.  Is this the new going rate, or should I hold out for more?  I've got about 9 years of experience.  Thanks! ...