A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If you run out of work during your regular hours - and asked to work past the get off time

Posted: Nov 05, 2014

Do you work or do you not?

Well yes... - Slave

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems like I have to unless I don't want any pay. I am having a hard time making sense of your question...

Straightfoward: From one hour to the next no - work, then work picks up and

[ In Reply To ..]
you are working until your 8 hours are finished. You quit at your regular time and then get email asking you to return as more work. Is this clearer?

Scheduled hours versus no work during those hours - Cantaffordthis

[ In Reply To ..]
If I am working my scheduled hours until my 8 hours are finished but there is no work, I am not actually working as I only get paid for lines typed. Therefore I have to work past the 8 scheduled hours, waiting for work, because my time sitting there while there is no work results in no pay.

I do for a couple of reasons...sm - Old Woman

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, as the other poster pointed out, if I am merely sitting at my desk during my regularly scheduled shift with no work, I am not making any money. So, naturally, I do take advantage of working outside my regularly scheduled shift in order to make up for not having work during my shift. In addition, I will work after my regularly scheduled hours, even if I did put in a solid 8 hours.

Secondly, as a medical transcriptionist and healthcare professional, I have an obligation to the patients and physicians to get the medical records on the charts as expediently as possible. Notice I did not say that I feel an obligation to the MTSO to help them avoid penalties for work falling out of TAT. I take my job seriously, and the main objective of that job, in my opinion, is to provide the best quality report in the least amount of time in order for the patient to receive the necessary healthcare.

Well you must have a lot of time - on your hands

[ In Reply To ..]
If I am an employee hired to work set hours and I work those hours, I should at least be able to expect a "professional organization" to provide that there will be work to do. You also must work day hours. Just how does that work for someone that works 2nd or 3rd shift? We should just forego all food and sleep so we can be at some faceless MTSO's beck and call.

For a lot of us, that is also using the term "healthcare professional" pretty loosely. What other "healthcare professionals" are paid a few cents a line to work this hard?

That line about your obligation to patients and physicians sounds like something right out of the annals of MTSOs. Obligation to the rotten doctors who can't be bothered to dictate as if any listening human is hearing any of it, the ones who belch and snort, are completely disorganized, shuffling through papers, yelling to someone else for information they should have before they started dictating, haven't bothered to read a thing about the patient they so dearly care for before they open up their big trap to mumble and yawn all the way through the dictation? Surely you jest!

If you wish to be serious about all of that, go ahead and knock yourself out.

Absolutely! Unless I have a scheule conflict - I work

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually have a list of things that I want to get done and I use this downtime to get those things done. Sometimes I get a lot done (like clean the house, checking for work every 10 minutes or so) and sometimes I get a little done. I'm rarely just sitting at my desk waiting for the next report because that can take up to an hour in some cases. Now that the holiday season is upon us, I'm using that time to also search for the items I want to buy online, wrap the gifts I've already bought, and soon enough I'll be decorating my house possibly during my normal work hours if there is no work.

I can't afford to not work, and when I realize that there is never any work from say 6 AM to 8 AM Tuesday and Wednesday but there is work from 4 PM to 6 PM, I ask to have my shift changed so that I do have work when I'm scheduled.

I did run ouf of work and asked to work over - but still made

[ In Reply To ..]
over $130.00 for the day, so all not wasted. The issue I have is I work from start to finish, no breaks, no dinner. I eat lunch just prior to starting my day's work and by the time I am finished I am really famished. I leave my desk to have my dinner then. Thanks for the input.

I'm not understanding your dilemma - then

[ In Reply To ..]
Your question is whether or not you should work outside your shift if asked to work outside your shift when you didn't have any work. Yet, by your standards you had an okay day that day and were happy with your line count.

So here are my thoughts:
1. Terrible, TERRIBLE idea to sit at your desk not moving anything other than your fingers for 8 hours with no break. This puts you at great risk for DVT and PE. As a DVT/PE survivor, I can tell you it's not worth it. This is an especially bad idea when there's no work on your screen and you still sit there as the blood pools in your legs and slows down because obviously you also aren't hydrating enough (unless you happen to have a gallon-size jug of water on your desk also, in which case you'd need a bathroom break and it sounds like you don't do those either).
2. If you're offered more work and don't want to take it, don't take it. It's not a requirement that you work when it's offered outside of your shift. However, I can tell you from personal experience that your relationship with your supervisor is of utmost importance as an MT. They know who they can count on.
When emails sent out they go to every higher - up in the company
[ In Reply To ..]
not just to you. You never just talk to one person. You respond to all if you send email or they send you one, everyone gets the same message. Never is it a 1 on 1 conversation. As far as just sitting here and not ever leaving my chair, I do not take breaks and dinner but I do get up, go to the bathroom, get drink of water, coffee, get the mail so it is not like constant 8 hour sitting in one spot.

If I had made an amount I was happy - with even

[ In Reply To ..]
though I had run out of work, I wouldn't work extra hours than my schedule if asked. I have in the past because I valued my supervisor and wanted to help her out, but I have a very busy and fulfilling life outside of the schedule I WAS HIRED FOR with friends and family. They are the priority. I work to live, not live to work. Some of these MTSOs must think we have no life.
So for those of us that run out of work on - the
[ In Reply To ..]
night shift you don't mind if we sign on and work during your daytime shift to make up for our lack of lines?

Hate when TSMs e-mail to say if you're out of work in the morning, etc., to flex your time and work later in the evening, during other MTs work hours!

Shameful to be competing against each other to have enough work. Just bring it back from India!
Totally agree - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I usually work 3rd shift and if I run out of work and have to stay up all night to keep checking back to see that there is still no work, I'm not staying up all day to work because when I was working my shift there was no work. If I really needed the money, I might, but the idea of it all is just complete and utter crap. Does anyone know of any other line of work where you show up to work, there isn't work to do, you don't get paid unless there is work, and you have to come back to work later when there is work? What other line of work hires more employees than there is work for and then has the employees compete against one another for the work so they can get paid for working?

As far as trying to impress my leads and supervisors, it's not as if we are going to become fast friends one way or the other and less likely that I'll soon be invited to dinner. Since I can't depend on them to see that there is work for me when I take the time to show up to work online, how much should I care if they can depend on me if they get swamped? I would think that if they cared more about making sure that I've got work, I might care more about lending a hand when they're swamped.
Totally agree - Sammie
[ In Reply To ..]
I run out of work at least a couple times a day. I don't know how 11-7 people have any work. They have hired so many MTs, there is never enough work for everyone. I need the money, but I don't make up the OOW and I don't use my PTO. I do keep track of all of this. I have asked to change my schedule repeatedly but they say no. I am scheduled to work 8 hours a day, I don't take lunch, keep the clock running. I have a life too, and this job is taking a toll on me mentally and physically. I'm too old to change careers, so I'll put up with it for a couple more months.

Guys! If you run out of work they have to pay you minimum wage for your state! - 1verytiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes I flex when requested (because I want to be a team player and happy to like my boss) but other times I don't. I've stated it before, but when you are an employee and have been hired to work 9 to 5 or whatever, and there is no work during your shift, you put OOW on Webclock and they pay you state minimum. This is the law. Of course, since it is minimum wage and where I live that is pretty low, I sometimes flex because I can make more. However, I REFUSE to keep checking back every hour to see if there is work. I check back when it's convenient for me.

Similar Messages:

How Much Is A Terabyte When Comparing To A Regular Audio File? In Hours?
Apr 09, 2013

how much is a terabyte when comparing to a regular audio file?  How much shoud I charge? ...

Regular MT Vs. MQ ASR
Feb 03, 2010

I'm curious about something - maybe it's because when I started doing MT, it was straight typing.  I've only been doing ASR 2.5 years. Has anyone noticed if they're more accurate when doing regular typing than they are with ASR?  I have.  I rarely make mistakes with straight typing but sure can have a lot of typos, duplicate words or whatever pop up on the ASR.  Plus, as an added benefit with regular MT, whenever the dictator pauses, I close my eyes for ...

Pulse DT And Regular??
Mar 01, 2011

I'm trying to figure out what this doctor means. He's dictating the vitals signs and says "pulse DT and regular." He's clearly saying "DT" (not "DP" or "PT"),  but I can't reference it anywhere.  Any help? Thanks :)     ...

Heart, Regular Rate...
Jan 18, 2010

dictated" heart regular rate and rhythm, no s/l octopi noted? i dont think she's talking about an octopus!! ...

Open Enrollment For FT Regular
Apr 29, 2011

I got an email about open enrollment for PT flex, PT limited and and  FT limited.  Well, what about FT regular?  Why does everything have to be so long and drawn out and complicated with this company.   I just want the darn information! ...

Does Anybody Work Standing Up On The Regular?...
Jul 08, 2013

I've been standing up at my counter, working... I think I'll like it once my feet get used to it.  I was wondering if anyone's tried it and was able to keep it going.  I know it's supposed to be easier on the body than sitting 8-10 hours a day, but it does take some getting used to! ...

Advice Needed For VR + Regular Transcription
Oct 25, 2009

being paid hourly for VR but also am now doing regular transcription intermingled randomly so hourly pay is becoming "pay by the minute" because 1 report will be VR for a coupla minutes, then the next is regular.  anyone else experiencing this?  if so, are you making any substantial money, can it be done? many thanks, gitarMT ...

The Patient's Regular Physician Is Dr. Pepper.
Jul 26, 2010

x ...

Just Curious..how Many Of You Run Out Of Work On A Regular Basis?
Dec 09, 2014

They are pulling all of the coding students to do HDS work for 2 pay periods because volumes are out of control.  ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Has Anyone Gotten Their Regular Monthly Bonus As A Separate Check IF It Were Over $100?
Oct 26, 2009

Down below someone said it only comes as a separate check if it is over $100. Mine have always been in the 120 to 150 range and I have gotten a separate check.  But for the past 2 months, nothing.   CCM has no idea what is up.  Just wondering if anyone's bonus if over $100 came, as usual, as a separate check.   TIA ...

Mail Perge. Forward To Your Regular Email
Sep 18, 2010

FYI:  If there are any emails you need to save for reference before the perge, go into that email, hit forward, and send to your personal email.  ...

Lab Values - Convert Decimals To Regular Number
Mar 14, 2011

Sorry, my math really sucks and I can't seem to find a site that will 'convert' decimals to regular numbers.  If a patient's lab test reads as 23.0 and the doctor dictates it as 23,000 are these both correct ways of putting it?  Also had absolute segment coung of 17.48 that was dictated as 17, 480 and bands of 0.23 that were dictated as 230.  If these are just other ways of expressing the same number and are all correct, great- I just want to be sure that is the case.  I ...

Usual Line Counts? (regular Typing)
May 27, 2011

What is your usual daily line count?  How many hours is that in?  Not VR, editing, anything funky - just straight typing.  Just curious... Thanks!!! ...

I Get Regular Emails For MT Job Listings....I Find It Perplexing That
Aug 21, 2013

M-Modal has a current job opening listing for PART TIME MTs (there is a separate listing for FT ones too). WTH is up with that? I mean, I myself was planning on giving my notice soon enough to this crappy company and actually was glad I was laid off instead of quitting...at least now I am eligible for unemployment until I find another job....but really, WTH? It's not an old listing, has TODAY's date on it. What is the reasoning? ...

I Was Getting A Great Line Count, But Now I Am On My Regular Accounts.
Aug 01, 2014

Just shoot me now. I had some great accounts that are outside my area coming in. Unfortunately, now my regular accounts are showing up and my count is taking its usual dive. Bad audio, crummy output. And the compliance coach thinks it is me that has the problem??? Performance coach was performance managing me for "failing" audits, i.e. getting 99.65%. Now she is our compliance coach, so I am getting informed that my line count is teetering just below the requirement. I let her know that ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

Less Than 24 Hours PT??
Nov 20, 2009

I understand with 24 hours you get PTO, but can you be scheduled for less than 24. That is a lot for a PT position. Most companies only require 20 per week. ...

Q8h Or Every Eight Hours?
Mar 12, 2010

Which is correct? I thought I had remembered something from the BOS (which I can't find in my office right now) that said if the dictator said q 8 hours then it should be spelled out as every eight hours. Is that correct or am I losing my mind? ...

Best Hours
Aug 28, 2010

I know there are so many on here who are fed up with Medquist.  But, can anyone tell me if there is any shift or days that work is usually available?  Overnight shift?  Evenings?  I have 2 friends who work for MQ and they are not out of jobs when they work.  (well, that's what they tell me).  They said it actually just depends on the account.   Is anybody here OK with MQ, maybe not perfectly happy, but not destitute either?  TIA ...

Every 4 Hours
Jun 29, 2011

so can someone clear me up about how to type q4h   ?? (as in every 4 hours).    thanks! ...

Only 8 Hours...
Dec 08, 2011

Ok, I'm not as fast as I used to be and the doctors keep giving names of physicians that are not on their list and are spelled different ways so I take the time to look them up because blanks are not a thing I like to leave on a report.  Today we get an email that we can no longer work off the clock which for me is a problem.  Do you take the time to look things up like that or what do you do to get past the OCD of trying not to leave a blank?  I feel like MQ is chasing ...

Q.6-8 Hours?
Apr 25, 2012

Doc says q. 6 to 8 hours with food.  Is that transcribed "q.6-8 hours"? Thanks for any help! ...

TTS - 8 Hours
Jul 15, 2012

I thought if we logged 7 hrs/day was considered okay, but now I'm getting notices that it is supposed to be 8 hrs/day - 8 hrs a day of actual transcription is pretty hard to concentrate - the mind and body has to take breaks! ...

So Far (2 Hours In) Don't Like DQS 7 -
Jul 24, 2012

Can we change the color of the audio highlight.  Mine is purple and it is driving me nuts.  It used to be yellow in the old DQS.  Thanks ...

Hours For FT Or PT? Sm
Sep 05, 2012

How many hours are considered FT?  How about for PT work?  Thanks. ...

PT Less Than 20 Hours. Possible??
Jul 16, 2013

As hard as it is for Nuance to get/retain employees has anyone every been able to negotiate for less than 20 hours PT with them? ...

PT Is How Many Hours?
Jan 20, 2014

I am planning on going PT, the least amount of PT as possible as I have been diagnosed with CHF and atrial fib and the stress of this job will wind up killing me.  I am already on partial retirement, so just need a few extra hours/week.  What is the least amount of PT hours a person can work?  Thank you. ...