A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Fox/general transcriptionists (general question) - New @ KS

Posted: Aug 17, 2012

If you do general transcription, can you recommend a good (free or low cost) transcription program for audio files?  I tried InqScribe and it works okay, but I don't like that they make you use their built-in word processing program that doesn't have any text expanders.

I use Express Scribe.  Do they have a way to transcribe videos?  (I think it has something called Prism video, but I never figured out how to use it).  Thanks.

transcoding - New @ KS

[ In Reply To ..]
You can convert a video file into an audio file to make it compatible with Express Scribe. I broke down and paid for the Prism video converter ($33). It takes like 20-30 minutes to convert an hour long video file to a .wav file.

Similar Messages:

Question For General Transcriptionists.
Apr 22, 2013

For those of you that do general transcription, when you have a long file, do you listen to it over again at the end to proof it? How do you proof a long file? ...

General
Nov 19, 2009

I am getting to the point where the "cutthroat"  on this forum is turning my stomach -- for one thing, we have "sheep mentality" with MTs today  -- WONDERFUL company "hence all will folllolw"  -- then when no work is available they all wonder why  - the NEXT big question will be is "why do I have to wolrk T-day or Xmas or geez didnt get a gift?  -- I have a gift of a job  - as an IC who works her rear off  -- work has been slow, but we got an email to that effe ...

General Word
Oct 14, 2009

He has been trying to find the most s/l ADVENTATIVE TIME to use his inhaler. ...

General Observations
Jan 18, 2010

I have been reading the messages in this forum regularly for the past few days and weeks.  I am shocked at the number of unhappy people in our profession.  If you hate your jobs so much, apply for a student loan and go back to school, it will create jobs for the ones who want to transcribe and can't find them now.  I've been at my current MT job for 16 years and have worked on-site and at home, I am paid very well for what I do.  If I bitched to my boss every t ...

General Question - Need Help Please (sm)
Mar 30, 2010

sorry if I'm posting this on wrong board but thought maybe fellow MQers could help me. Anyway, is there a big difference between DSL/Cable versus a high speed wireless card?  Would an employer even know which method of connecting you were using? TIA very much if you can shed some light on this for me. ...

General Rant
Jan 11, 2011

Have you ever noticed than when a dictator tries to adopt a "conversational" style of dictating, that it is very hard to try and figure out what's being said?  They start and stop several times so that you can't remember what the original line of dictation was, plus they add "you know" every other sentence.  I DON'T KNOW!!!!!  My account is a verbatim one and so I figure out as near as I can what he's saying and then send it through.  ...

General Transcription, IC
Feb 14, 2011

I was contacted today with a potential offer to transcribe general work as an IC.  I have yet to find out out if they pay by the hour or line, their definition of a line, etc.  This is a new concept for me as I've always been a hospital employee.  While surfing posts on this board I learned that I have the power to define my pay and hours, but I would appreciate it if someone could shed more light on transcribing in that aspect.  I would mainly l ...

General Complaint
Mar 30, 2011

Hi everyone:)  This is not a good night for me; I have been getting very bad dictators lately, my reports are so short, less than 2 minutes apiece, and I haven't gotten anything decent to speak of, and I am about to throw in the towel with this company.  It seems that since I have gone part time this has been happening a lot.  I am pushing just to get my required line count in, and with jobs like this it is hard to do.  My pay is going down, down, down, and I feel r ...

Anyone Ever Try General Transcription?
Jul 11, 2011

Was it an easy transition to make?  ...

General Audio At 6 Cpl?
Dec 19, 2011

Offered 6 cpl (65-char) for general audio (movies and television shows).  Is this good or bad?  I thought audio transcription was usually paid per audio hour.  I've only done MT for 20+ years, so this is new to me.   Thanks for any input/advice!   ...

Anyone Been Doing General Transcription For A While?
Jul 18, 2012

Anyone been doing general transcription for a while? How long should 30 minutes of audio (interviewer and Interviewee) with time stamps take? I am getting $22.50 for 30 minutes of audio, but it is taking me hours, upon hours to do and then I have to re-listing and edit it. Not sure if this job is worth it. Need some feedback. Thanks ...

General UE Question.
May 21, 2013

I'm considering a job through a government entity--a county health department.  Does anyone here know if one gets laid off from a government job if they can file for unemployment, or are gov't entities exempt from that?  I had an interview, and they offered up-front that their intention is that the job is permanent, but, of course, they couldn't guarantee against future cut-backs.  This made me start to wonder, with all the budget woes in the gov't arena....wou ...

General Question About Being An MT . . .
May 15, 2014

Does anybody notice after sitting and typing for so long that your legs and behind hurt?  I've done this job for over 10 years, and I've never noticed it.  I wonder if it's my chair. ...

General Transcription?
Jan 09, 2015

I gave up on MT as a career and am working in a different industry.  I've always loved transcribing and writing and I really miss it.  I googled "transcription jobs online" and was surprised at the number of sites that came up.  Some were non-medical, some were both.  I haven't explored them in depth yet.  Just wondering if anyone has gone this route and had any success?  Any good or bad names to share?  Feel free to PM me if they can't be mentio ...

Who Does General Transcription?
Feb 21, 2015

A few here have mentioned doing some general transcription gigs. Can you share any names of online companies?  I've read some favorable reviews on Tigerfish.  Anyone worked for them?  I looked into Elance once but wasn't impressed.  I believe they merged with Odesk?  ...

General Transcription
Jun 03, 2015

Just took a general transcription test.  Took me forever... Does anyone know what a good rate of reimbursement is per minute for those?  I know $1 a minute was what MTs  used to get.  ...

Rate For General Transcription?
Nov 18, 2009

Is it the same 10 cents per line as medical?  I am out of work right now with over 2 years of experience.  I have been checking out freelance websites, and the pay seems pretty low.  It is sometimes described as dollar amount per audio hour or as an hourly rate.  They list the hourly rate as about $5 an hour or less.  Is it because the work would be easy?  Should I bid for a job and offer 10 cents a line?   I need some work so badly I just don't know what ...

General Transcription Rate
Aug 24, 2010

What would a good rate of pay be to do general transcription?  This is not medical transcription, but general audio like a phone conversation or meeting.  ...

General Transcription Vs Medical
Sep 13, 2010

I am curious of the views of those of you who do or have done general transcription and medical transcription.  How do they compare?  Can you make more money with one or the other?  Where do you search for general transcription jobs online?  Thanks in advance ...

Some General MQ Platform Questions - Sm
Dec 12, 2011

My hospital is changing from one of the other big MTSOs to MQ.  Our dept is not being outsourced, but we will have to change platforms and speech rec to the MQ platform (obviously).  Can anyone share if it is user-friendly?  I have used M-Modal in the past and I understand that is what's used at MQ.  Can anyone confirm?  Thank you for information.  I work more as a team-lead / QA person, not actively transcribing, but I know there is a lot of anxiety among my d ...

What To Charge For General Transcription?
Jul 16, 2012

Hi all, I have been offered a general transcription job today and they will be calling me with a pay rate. I have no idea what is fair pay for this kind of work, as I have always worked in medical transcription. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Just A General Vent. I Have Exactly 3 Weeks To
Aug 07, 2012

find a job before my UI runs out:(  I have been applying everywhere!  No luck so far.  I will be homeless in a month I am sure as I cannot afford my bills at all.  I googled what to do when UI runs out and everything they suggested I have tried.  This really stinks:(((( ...

Ad For General Trancriptionist - Oy Vey! 50 Cents An
Apr 20, 2013

For focus groups?!!!! What an INSULT and a rip-off!  Min $1.00 an audio minute... and that's an absolute MINIMUM.  Why do you think she's posting over here - because she can't get anyone with experience to work for that crap wage who knows what they're doing.  ...

General And Legal Transcription
Feb 06, 2014

I realize this is a Medical transcriptionist site, but I know someone interested in getting into general and/or legal transcription.  She does have law office experience, however, transcribing on a daily basis, like we MTs do, is different than what is done in an office setting.  Does anyone know where she could get online training for general and/or legal transcription?  Thanks.  ...

General/legal Transcription
Feb 08, 2014

Did anyone happen to get the e-mail address of an ad that appeared on the job seeker's board for general, medical and legal transcription for a person by the name of Nancy Dash?  It has disappeared today, and I just wondered if anyone might still have the e-mail address.  Thanks. ...

Considering Coders Make More Than MTs In General
Mar 20, 2014

I don't see why all you ladies have your feathers ruffled.  On the AAPC website, coders make an average of $53k a year.  Looking it up, the average MT pay is 36K.  They are being offered an industry standard.  That is just the way it goes.  I'm an MT and I think good for them who made it.  I'm glad they were able to get into the program.  For those that applied and didn't make, I'm sorry.  There is always next time.  If you di ...

Word Question In General
Nov 04, 2014

If you have a doctor that dictates a procedure, very clearly, and you can actually spell it, but it comes up misspelled in spellcheck. So I go on google, look in all my books, and benchmark (can't help it I am anal) and cannot find that exact procedure. In this case it was dictated as an "otomy" but all the references had is as an "ostomy" do you leave it as "dictated and spelled," do you change to the correct form which is the "ostomy," or do you leave a blank? Thanks in advance trying ...

13 Dislikes For General Transcription ICs
Feb 05, 2015

xx ...

General ? About Meeting LPH Quota
Feb 19, 2015

Just a general question.  I'm not asking for and really don't want to start something.....I would just like to know......if you are working for a national company and their line per hour requirement is 260, do you make, or exceed, it?  And, if so, do you find it extremely difficult or fairly easy to achieve.  This would be on an average evening where you don't run out of work and most of the work comes easy but you still have a few honkers.  Thanks! ...

General Digital Transcriptionist
May 04, 2015

Looking for experienced digital subcontractor transcriptionist to type focus groups and one-on-one interviews. Please send resumes to vicki@secretarialenterprises.com or secretarialenter@aol.com.  ...