A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ESL & poor dictator stress - LessStress4me

Posted: Feb 01, 2013

No more microscopic QA dissection for me. My new plan is to shoot the job full of blanks and send it in - far less stressful for sure. Each and every time I hear something that I am not 100% sure of - they get a blank. This is not now nor was it ever MY personal problem. Today I'm quite tired of being penalized for someone else's inability to dictate clear enough to perfectly discern what was said. No more cleaning up sentences either. QA: Verbatim you want? Verbatim you get. And don't try to give it back to me fussing about blanks - it's not my problem. It's a dictator problem and a company problem, but it has never been an MT problem. By the way QA, just so you know, I am keeping a documented written log with the job number, and the difficulties I've faced with those reports that get a blank. When and if you try to make the numerous blanks my problem and threaten my job - please know that I plan to sue you high, wide and handsome. I'm sure those voice files played to a jury in a civil suit will find that no one can reasonably be held accountable to the company standard of 100% written perfection on a dictated job that is at best 70% orally correct. What I will never understand is - why do these companies test us on English grammar, sentence structure and punctuation to hire us, and then demand we transcribe vocal garbage verbatim that has no remote similarity to proper English? Oh yeah, that's right the BOS rules, AKA Lame Man's English.

Good plan! - You go, MT!

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you noticed the anger building industry-wide? Something's gotta give!

I stopped caring about two years ago. - Fed Up

[ In Reply To ..]
When I made a very good wage, I diligently tried to find answers that I didn't know. I listened over and over, changed sentence structure, tried to make it perfect. NOW, I can ONLY make a good living if I am typing nonstop. I cannot AFFORD to stop and fix this mess that the doctors dictate. So, I also have just stopped the research. If it doesn't make sense then I leave a blank. The only things I look up now are things that I know I heard clearly and maybe am just not familiar with that term. I don't mind looking that up, because I feel the doctor did his job by speaking clearly, I can do mine by looking it up, but the rest, nope, not anymore!

They want to pay less, they can get less. They can hire new MTs that lack experience or just hire us "old" ones that could give a crap less with the wages they want to pay!

True that, I used to go back and fill in blanks at the - end of every report even if

[ In Reply To ..]
all I had was one or two, I would go back and relisten and try to fill it in. Now if all I have is one or two blanks, I just send it through. Im not about to be taking the time to fill in one blank when thats time I can be spending editing or typing another report. To heck with that.

exactly! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I also used to be meticulous trying to generate a blank-free, perfect report. Now, if I don't know what is being dictated after listening twice, I blank it and go on. I don't spend time correcting poor grammar and broken English anymore, either.

I still have some good docs who are very courteous and profession in their dictation style, and I do give their reports more attention. But if others are obviously careless in their dictation, I feel it is not my job to research excessively, piece together, and rewind, rewind, rewind. If I cleaned up every dictated mess like I used to, I'd probably made 2 bucks an hour.

I leave way more blanks than I used to, and if/when I'm called out on it, I'll deal with it then.

stopped caring - MeToo

[ In Reply To ..]
Boy Howdy. I quit "over-editing" a long time ago too.

that is my attitude also - and Amen

[ In Reply To ..]
One dictator is impossible to understand and he's not even ESL. He makes no effort to be understood, just mumbles through the BP, heart rate, temp at warp speed. I was told by QA to pull up previous reports to piece it together. Well, you can't really do that with vitals and lab info, now can you? I was spending up to 2 hours on a 15 line report. Got tired of that PDQ.

And furthermore, I now pretty - much ignore

[ In Reply To ..]
all the audits, feedback and other nonsense I don't get paid for. They acquired me without any real assessment of my skills, and if after 30 years of doing this job I am suddenly incompetent, by all means let me go so I can collect UE, retrain and get skills for a real job. Unfortunately so far this has never happened. The only thing that makes me unhappy now is that I have such a rotten attitude.

ignore - MeToo

[ In Reply To ..]

What cracks me up, I'm supposed to "leave a note" for QA explaining the reason for the blank.  Okay, will do. Wink

you obviously do not have "punitive QA" then - either...where you lose

[ In Reply To ..]
1 cpl for the QA to even "open" up a report sent to them, not to mention taking more cpl for each "error" or "blank" they have to correct. First they give you crap you can't even understand, WANT you to send to QA and "not guess", but penalize you by taking money away when you do... talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't! I have had the "privilege" of working for three of those types of places in the past year! They nit pick you to death too, and then fire you within 30 days because you "couldn't cut it." yeah.. good luck with that one!

question about losing cpl - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious. When you lose cpl due to "errors," do they document that on your check stub? How do you know how much they dock you each pay period?

I had always kept track of my own line counts... - but their line counts were

[ In Reply To ..]
always different. Finally a QA person told me flat out that if they even have to "open" a file with blanks you sent to them, they "automatically" take 1 cpl from you just because you sent it to them in the first place and they had to "listen for blanks." All blanks were counted as "errors" no matter what. so basically you were "punished" monitarily for not being able to understand something being dictated. It was not just for the one line with the blank left in it either, it was 1 cpl for the whole file. That just is not right, in my book! Why even have a QA at all if you are not supposed to send them anything or be punished for it? Just another way to bilk the MT out of money is all!
sheesh, dirty rotten business - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Just another example that, to me, proves these companies have covered their butts from every possible angle and made it so the MT cannot win.

So if you send a 50-line report to QA for a blank, you are docked 50 cpl?
exactly! - 1 cpl for a 50 line report
[ In Reply To ..]
would be 50 cents off your paycheck. and you are not "allowed" to send reports to the client with blanks in them, so you HAVE to send to QA, but then when you do, you are docked 1 cpl no matter how long or short the report is. If you are earning say 8 cpl, if you send it to QA, it is automatically 7 cpl for the whole report, whether there is just one blank left or 50. That's what they call "punitive QA," and I have gotten now when I interview with anybody so that I ask if they have punitive QA or not. You would be surprised how many actually do!

Sorry to hear that... - MTGoneFishin

[ In Reply To ..]
...after I left MT, it was like a HUGE weight had lifted and it was like being freed from an abusive relationship. The account I was on for years sounds very similar to yours, but the harder I would try to deal with the situation (and I tried SO many different techniques, drawing from my own management experience, even resorting to begging practically for at the least occasionally getting a mix of good dictations with bad), it would get worse. There are a lot of sadistic type personalities in this once awesome profession.

Best to you; you will need it, if my experience is any indication.

Similar Messages:

ESL And ?new Stress Type. S/l Notambaki Stress Test. Nm
Jul 14, 2014

x ...

Poor Audio
Mar 09, 2010

Doesn't it just seem wrong when you can hear the neighboring doctor's dictation better than you can YOUR dictator?  Do they just hand the phone across the way and say "would you hold this for me?"  ...

Poor Concentration With SR
Mar 29, 2012

Has anyone had a really hard time concentrating since going to speech recognition work, and figured out how to overcome it??  I've tried using the on line clock, and find that I am actually getting about 5 hours in within my 8 hours.  Seems like the harder I try to concentrate the more my mind wanders. ...

Seriously? They Think The Poor Editing Is Due To The Red Box????
Aug 28, 2012

The red box does not bother me at all.  What bothers me is the lousy 4 cpl for the edited report which I think is more work.   Maybe THAT'S what causes the poor editing.  ...

Poor Dictators
Jun 05, 2015

There are some weekends where the dictation is tolerable.  This must be MM's "idiot dictators weekend" because that is all I've had today.  Ranging from the moron who tries to dictate with so much static on the line that I have to leave 15+ blanks because SR didn't "recognize" anything to the dumb one that dictates 300 seconds of a report but leaves the phone off the hook so I get to hear conversations, intercoms, beeping, phones ringing, banging, etc., for 1500 seconds. ...

Stress Test Help Please
Mar 24, 2010

He dictates:  Nuclear stress test using s/l rag-oh-DYE-noh-scan .... He not so helpfully spells it  "rageodescan" which is not correct and does not help at all in a search. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks. ...

Stress Test Help
Sep 12, 2011

After a Bruce protocol stress test says "It was an appropriate ______ response."  Kind of sounds like allotropic which doesn’t make sense to me. THANKS!!    ...

FIESA = STRESS
Apr 10, 2013

I don't know how much longer I can take FIESA...I even hate that name. Nit picking on everything...does it ever get better? ...

No More Stress-woohoo
Jul 10, 2013

I quit my job due to health issues and my stress level has gone way down.  I worked for 8 years here and it was okay.  There were tough times, but it was mostly okay because my TSM/CCM left me alone but were accessible if needed.  They answered my emails and phone calls (even though there were about 5 or so different ones through the years).  It was just aggravating when good accounts would go to ASR.  But, I don't have to worry anymore.  Hope things get better ...

Remarkably Poor Webmedx
Sep 01, 2010

. ...

Poor Quality - Vent
Sep 02, 2011

Working for one of my prn jobs yesterday and had to look in the patient's chart to get information.  Found a hospital discharge summary on the patient dictated by a doctor I also type for in a different group and was appalled at the poor quality of the transcription.  In the first line was transcribed that the patient was transferred from HAMSTER Hospital - nope, no Hamster hospitals around here - then an easy blank in the review of systems and another in the physical exam pl ...

Brain Fog, Poor Concentration
Sep 15, 2011

Does anyone have brain fog and difficulty concentrating when listening to speakers sometimes?  If so, what do you do to help clear the cobwebs so you can get back and focus on the work?  I can use any tips you may have.  Thanks in advance. ...

Sound Quality Very Poor
Aug 31, 2012

Is it me or is it that the sound quality is getting worse and worse on these accounts.  Ever since last year when they had the town hall meeting saying they were making improvements (e mails, etc.) and then they got bought, seems all that improving stopped.  Half of the work I get every day or more are simple inaudible, I cannot hear or the static is so bad, or the sound so low, I have to send to QA b/c these are not intelligible. Is it me, or has it always been this bad?  We are ...

Extremely Poor Treatment
Dec 11, 2012

I work for 96 physicians who (rightfylly so) expect the best and fastest quality transciption. However, when seen as a patient, I get the most horrid treatment (and fradulent) treatment possible (most most by clients.) I not only receive "steroid" injections that obviously have no steroids (only receive a few hours of pain relief) to dental care with crowns falling off after 2 weeks (I have had temporary crowns on as long as 3-4 years). These temporary crowns are put in and appointments reschedu ...

What Would Cause Such Poor Sound Quality? Sm
Mar 26, 2013

I know my hearing has not changed but it seems that the sound quality of the dictation lately has changed.  It doesn't matter whether I'm using a cphone or downloaded voice files.  On A LOT of the dictations there seems to be a whooshing sound (for lack of a better description) in the background.   On others there seems to be a squeaking sound as if the doctor is playing with the phone cord.  Is this because the docs are now dictating directly into the computer ...

Poor Sound Quality
Oct 07, 2013

Almost ALL reports done so far this a.m. have had the worst quality.  Dictation cutting in and out, muffled speech, turning head away from phone, shuffling of papers, talking in background.  COME ON!!!  This job is difficult enough.  Quit wasting my time on this garbage.  ARGH. ...

Poor Patient Was Just Subjected
Dec 05, 2013

a transrectal echocardiogram... or so the VR thought!  ...

POOR QUALITY AUDIO
May 29, 2014

Trying to finish my shift for Mmodal.  Doing maintenance on phones, but what a ride it's been trying to do transcription.  The audio is all garbled like an old loop system that has been used to the max.  Leaving more blanks that transcribed product on the page.  There are going to be some  unhappy docs over this. ...

For Those Of You Who Are Having Your Pay Docked For Poor Performance
Jan 17, 2015

Here is a link you may be interested in. http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/10/29/8-workplace-rights-your-employer-might-not-tell-you-about ...

Poor Management Or Do They Want Us To Quit
Mar 21, 2015

NJA.  Call work flow # and they say there are no jobs throughout the company.  Get e-mail stating there is still mandatory OT.  Beyond frustraiting. ...

Stress Echo Protocol Help Please
Feb 11, 2010

Looking for a protocol for a stress echo that s/l MBA exilier?? Can't reference anything similar.  Thanks so much!! ...

Stress Test - METS
Mar 14, 2010

Would like anyone's opinion regarding how METS should be typed in reference to a stress test.  I have been typing it as METS for yrs and yrs, now on a newer account it was corrected to METs.  I've found it both ways when researching.  TIA for input.  ...

Cardiac Stress Test
May 04, 2010

I cannot understand what is being said at the end of this sentence as the doctor stumbles over the word and I don't have much experience when it come to stress test to be able to figure out which word this should be (under procedures).  "1. Cardiac stress test.  She had normal hemodynamic response to pharmocologic therapy. Clinically negative for ischemia, chest is negative for ischemia, (sensographically) negative for ischemia or infarct."  Also, should I make each ischemia ...

Cardiac - How To Type Nuc-med Stress?
Mar 31, 2011

Should it be nuc or nuke?  ...

Finally Got Out, Stress Level GONE
Sep 22, 2014

I finally got to the point I hated time for work.  I went through 2 buyouts and it just seemed to get worse.  I have watched QA people busted down due to not getting enough lines per hour, which is impossible when there's not enough work, and when most of the acute care work was 100% listens.  I got ONE raise in 7 years yet the duties kept piling on and found out some were making 4.00 an hour more than me in lower positions. On days off you were expected to join meetings no m ...

Help Poor Sound Quality Report
Apr 03, 2011

Please HELP!!!  What is the policy when you have a 22 minute dictation and the sound quality is so poor you can only understand may be every 4th or 5th word/phrase.  I already have about 25 blanks and I'm only about 5 minutes in.  I have been a tier 3 MT for 12+ years and am not trying to pass the buck here.  I believe it is actually a mechanical malfunction on his end.  There are times when it is dead silent and I can't tell if he is dictating or not through i ...

InScribe Poor Sound Quality
Oct 14, 2012

I'm just wondering if poor sound quality (very muffled) can be due to other things than dictator using cell phone, etc.  I recently started working with Inscribe, and sometimes it seems like every single dictator is very hard to hear clearly (static, overall muffled, etc), so I'm wondering if it's something to do with a temporary condition related to the Inscribe platform/server or the hospital.   Before this account, I got all my dictation over the phone, so this is new to m ...

Source Of Problem With MT Is Poor Dictation.
Aug 15, 2014

Even with bad pay and clunky platforms, a somewhat living wage could be eked out if they just did their part correctly. I think this is the real problem with MT, not MTSOs, nor offshoring, nor VR. Garbage in, garbage out. ...

Punished For Blanks Because Of Poor Dictators
Apr 01, 2015

Vent time.....just my 2 cents.  It really irritates me that MTs pay has come down to this,  based on the type of system that this employer has put into place, which reduces our pay even more because of poor quality doctors that the hospitals employ.  One fine example, an MT only allowed to leave 1 blank before sending to QA, but QA is allowed to leave 4 before sending on...SO, 2 or more people have now listened to this report and STILL have to leave blanks, and for YEARS this comp ...

S/l Lexi Myoview Stress Test??
Dec 27, 2009

It s/l Lexi Myoview stress test.  What is the Lexi?? ...