A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Erroneous Info in Reports - Does the Public Care? - Rose

Posted: Jun 24, 2013

I assume health care is investing in programs that they think will enable them to eliminate having to use editors.  However, we all know that doctors do not have the time nor the patience to edit their reports and their non-MT staff are not qualified to do so.

I spent a day documenting errors that would be left in reports if they were not edited.  75% of them contained erroneous diagnoses, conditions the patients did not even have a history of, which included STDs and head lice - things the public would not want in their medical records.  They contained the wrong medications and allergies in a higher percentage of reports, close to 100% of those with long lists of medications and/or allergies. The software is allowed to guess when it should only be allowed to mark what it can't comprehend.

Health care management is being misled the what this software is capable of and the potential for further reduced costs.  If the software can not even come remotely close to the accuracy demanded of the MT, they are wasting their time and money expecting more from it without editors.

Wouldn't the public want to know about what is happening to their medical records?  I'd like to hear your thoughts about a campaign to make the public aware of this problem. 

"People" never particularly did before. Maybe give us, - through our government, credit for

[ In Reply To ..]
caring on behalf of everyone?

Anyway, Rose, what on earth were you doing in the files? :) Some people are paid to help eliminate those mistakes ESR leave, and some physician mistakes, but it sounds as if you just happened to be viewing them? That's very illegal now, unlike the days when I'd visit a friend in the hospital and peek at the files mounted by the doorways while I waited to go in.

Things are going to the right direction, just not fast enough. But at least the right direction. Finally!

BTW? Things weren't that great before. We had a lot of slugs in our ranks who did sloppy, low-quality work, and not much of it because they sat and chatted while they were paid by the hour. If you glance back over the change in tone on this forum alone over the past couple of years, most of those who were outraged, whining indignently, about demands to do better work, are gone. They used to be half the posts. Now those who haven't been sifted out are mainly just unhappy about not be paid properly for good work. BIG, big difference in our population.

You have an active imagination (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Accusing me of reading files that I have no right reading, when it is my job to edit, and there is nothing illegal about taking HIPAA compliant notes.

Your believe that things are "finally going in the right direction" has me wondering what you do for a living.

That was a joke. The point is, you were there to flag - the errors you noted. Not an accident.nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Believe whatever you choose create if it makes you happy. - Rose
[ In Reply To ..]

I believe insurance companies will not pay because of this. - they will find out the hard way.NM

[ In Reply To ..]
z

Was wondering . . . - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't worked in house as an MT since before HIPAA but wonder if they still rely as heavily on the transcription as they used to for insurance decisions. I know they don't care about ethics, but hit them in the pocket book and you've got their immediate attention.

Erroneous info in reports - GH

[ In Reply To ..]
All reports are erroneous until we edit them. The VR software will never replace human editors. It sounds like you're paranoid about that happening. Be glad that human editors are needed to clean up these reports. It's called job security. Only in science fiction would voice recognition software ever replace human editors. There's nothing the public needs to be aware of because the reports don't go back to the hospital in the same messed up condition that you received them.

Similar Messages:

I WANT MY PERSONAL HIPAA INFO PUBLIC
Aug 23, 2012

When is it that our private information is so sacred.  How about posting online all my ailments.  Does it really matter?  Is it not coincidental that AAMT in their day, and others wanting $$, happened to push HIPAA through at a time when no one really cared?  It is a scam, just a department builder of jobs.  When is it that our ailments are so secret?  ...

Do Acute Care MTs Do ER Reports Or Are There Special
Mar 20, 2010

nm ...

Are There Any Hospital Clients That Actually Care About The MTs That Type Their Reports?
Apr 07, 2010

The hospital (client) of the company I type for, just updated their system.  This was a so-called big deal.  I was excited because they use a program that I know has potential to make a lot more shortcuts and less mouse use available for the MTs, that they did not utilized, but today, I started typing on the "new updated" version just to find there are more fields I have to fill in on the patient profile screen, there is more mouse use, and more looking up, and going out of the program ...

Anyone Care To Venture A Guess As To Why Volume Reports Are Missing From Transcend's MLS Page?.
Feb 20, 2012

It has been reported to tech support, so my guess is it is not a technical issue, but rather intentional for some reason. Things that make ya go hmmm... ...

Why Is Erroneous Information Filled In By QC?
Feb 27, 2015

If a doctor says something that a third grader would know is nonsense and the MLS leaves a blank, why does the QC person fill it in? We're supposed to use critical thinking skills, but yet they fill in something stupid when it's blatantly wrong. Then, we get an email with all kinds of information regarding normal laboratory values and we are supposed to use critical thinking skills for all that and determine when it is normal or abnormal. Oh, I'm still waiting for my MD degree t ...

Anyone Care To Share Info On M.I.S.T?
Aug 09, 2012

Am curious if anyone has an info, insight, yeahas or nays on M.I.S.T.  Corporation? Thanks much in advance!! :) ...

Care To Share Download Info. . .
Aug 20, 2012

I am curious if anyone would be willing to tell me where I could find a free download of the AAMT BOS 3rd edition? thanking one and all in advance!!! :)       ...

What The Public Knows....
Dec 12, 2009

I completely agree that the public needs to be informed of where their medical records are going.  But do you know that in my 10 years of MTing, most people I have encountered, asking what I do for a living, are not even aware of what the medical record is?  I've had to explain what it is more times than not.  They have no idea that there are reports being made for every doctor visit or procedure they undergo.  I guess they believe that all that is recorded is ...

Hey IMedX Gives Ya Public Kudos
Mar 05, 2014

Check it out!  You can even see BOTH headquarters.   http://www.facebook.com/followimedx ...

Story On Billing And Coding On American Public
Apr 10, 2012

I just heard a story on American Public Media's Marketplace via my local NPR radio station.  There is a transcript of it online.  Very interesting, especially towards the end when they talk about how the system of billing based on codes is not cost efficient anymore with the complexity of health care and that, as insurers keep paying less and less for each code, providers dig around and find more and more codes that they can bill for on each procedure or hospital stay to make up f ...

It's Disgraceful That MModal Hasn't Made A Public Statement
Mar 08, 2014

This is an absolute disgrace.  Not just out of courtesy to the employees that break their back to earn the money they've mismanaged, but also as a courtesy to their clients who pump money into their overly fattened wallets.  What kind of a company allows an entire day to fly by on the heels of a bankruptcy announcement in the press and doesn't make a statement?  Do they honestly believe we don't know this is happening?  Surely they must know their employees a ...

Another Sad Option For Medical Care Is Charity Care. Work With The People
Nov 06, 2014

...bills. Most Saint hospitals and others actually operate as non-profits, and for what they are screwing us over in taxes unpaid, they can afford to help out folks with their bills and still give their CEOs generous stock options and obscene salaries! But, you have to ask for this after your visit, treatment, x-ray, or ER visit. ASK for help if you need it. It is not our fault that suits are in charge of medical care in this country.  ...

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...

Long Reports Or Short Reports?
Jul 15, 2013

Am i the only one that just hates the long ones? And by long I mean anything over like 4 minutes.  I love progress and ER notes!  ...

It Was A Pleasure To Assist In Ms. **Thomas's Care Or Ms. Thomas' Care". This Gets M
Dec 15, 2009

x ...

Hyphen ... Providing High Quality Care OR High-quality Care
Oct 06, 2011

... providing high quality care OR high-quality care. I did it one way and the dictating NP says it should be the other way.  I have to do it her way but I would appreciate hearing from some fellow MT professionals. Thanks for any input.     ...

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

Info On Accentus US Ambulatory? Is It Associated With Nuance? Any Info Appreciated. NmNm
Feb 18, 2014

Xx ...

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME INFO ON GLOBAL INFO SYSTEMS (GIS)
Jan 10, 2010

Looking for information about Global Info Systems.  Can anyone telll me anythihng about them.  Thank you. ...

Anyone Have Info/work For Global Info In Texas???
Jul 04, 2012

Need to know any info ASAP on I think its called Global Info Systems or something like that out of Texas. Lots of clinic work, but low low line rate offered. Need to know about management, stability, VR reality, workload, response from tech support, etc. Also, are these clinics in India? Thanks for any help! ...

If You Can't Get Course Info Without Leaving Info So They Can Call/spam You
Sep 12, 2012

It isn't easy to get off some of the spam and phone call lists when you click for more information about some of these courses. I've found that for me, it isn't worth it to get that information if I am giving up my privacy. Some of these people are relentless! You can't get away from them once they get your information. There is one in particular that makes sure you hear from them every day in one form or another. They become your best friend, even if you weren't lookin ...

She Is Unable To Do Her Own Routine "self-care" Or "self Care"?? Thanks! Nm
Mar 25, 2010

x ...

Any Info On GIS (Global Info Systems) Out Of TX? I
Jan 21, 2012

I applied for an MT position with them.  I don't see anything recent on the boards and wondered if they were a good company to work for.  TIA ...

Global Info Systems - Info?
Dec 13, 2012

I am testing with GIS this evening, does anyone have any information on this company. I am currently working with TTS, they do not even pay 4 CPL for editing. I feel like this business has become a legalized form of slavery. The only business where with over 10 years of experience, your pay goes down. ...

They Don't Care
Aug 16, 2011

How many times do you have to be hit on the head before you realize that THEY DON'T CARE.  MQ is on its own path.  You can write all the letters you want, contact the president, congresspeople, newspapers, TV, etc.  MQ DOES NOT CARE.  You could drop dead in front of their executive offices and they would just step over you.  THEY DON'T CARE!  The only thing that will ever turn this around is if hospitals refuse to accept off-shore work but considering the ...

MDs Don't Care, So Why Should We?
Sep 02, 2011

There you are, sittin at your desk, slammin your head into yet another mumbled dictation, desperately trying to divine the meaning of the muttering, frantically googling, stedman's open on your lap, cursing all foreign doctors everywhere, and then you get it! After ten minutes of listening intently, tilting your head to one side, pressing the headphones tighter, slowing down the incoherent ramblings, you finally figured it out. Feel proud afterwards right? Well, maybe you shouldn't. ...

Q-Care Help, Please
Mar 05, 2012

Can someone help  me, please? I thought I was organized, but realize I can't get into Q-care. Is that somethiing I was supposed to set up separately? I've tried everything and it says "error." I've tried my Ultipro password, e-mail address, Team Work password, everything. I'm one of those who was sort of "thrown in" during the takeover and had very little free time to set everything up. Just when you  think you're organized...   ...

I Don't Care
Jul 31, 2014

GW has got to be one of the sloppiest dictators I have ever had the displeasure to do. Chews while dictating, smacks his lips, mumbles his words ... I could go on and on, but you get the message. ...

I Just Don't Care Any More
Aug 07, 2014

FIESA and its humiliating and debasing scores, micromanagment, a bitchy supervisor, crap dictators, have all contributed to my feeling of just not caring any more.  I clock in, do my time, and clock out.  I know that my work is good and that my QA is much higher than FIASCO says it is, but I just don't care anymore. I am one of the older workers, and I have this feeling that NUisANCE is trying to get me to quit.  Well, guess what?  They're not going to win.  I& ...

I Used To Care
Oct 23, 2014

I worked for Medquist 7 years ago.  I hated it.  I found another job at a company that I loved.  Worked there for a couple of years until the dreaded announcement that they had been acquired by Medquist.  After suffering from PTSD for a couple of days after hearing that news, i sucked it up.  nothing bad happened for a year or so.  then all the changes began.  again.  again, i sucked it up.  i've always loved being a medical transcription ...