A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What the public knows.... - sz

Posted: Dec 12, 2009

I completely agree that the public needs to be informed of where their medical records are going.  But do you know that in my 10 years of MTing, most people I have encountered, asking what I do for a living, are not even aware of what the medical record is?  I've had to explain what it is more times than not.  They have no idea that there are reports being made for every doctor visit or procedure they undergo.  I guess they believe that all that is recorded is what is chicken-scratched by the doctor in their "chart" and the occasional lab report added to it is all that is done as far as their records are concerned.  This, I believe, is half the problem as far as the lack of public outrage regarding offshoring.   The public needs to be made aware of what the actual medical record is first, and then hit them with the offshoring bombshell.   I've told them if nothing else, the next time they visit their doctor, to request that their medical records stay in the U.S.  Put in in writing to the doctor if necessary.  I have also started circulating emails to everyone I know informing them of all of this, asking them to forward this to everyone they know, etc.    We all need to start talking, and not just on these MT boards, because lets face it, the general public doesn't read the MT boards. 

Excellent post - Tina

[ In Reply To ..]
and I couldn't agree more!

I fantasize about taking a full-page out in every - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
major newspaper with the title, "My medical record information is in India--Do you know where YOURS is?"

Having that the title of a news TV show would be a double fantasy........

Having it on Oprah would be beyond belief........

I think there's a HUGE story in this whole situation -SM - Zircon

[ In Reply To ..]
for an investigative reporter who was willing to invest some time and footwork in their research and presentation. I contacted one once at a local TV station, but they wanted a fast story with easy-to-interview people, not one that would take months of tracking down MTs, who are sitting invisibly at home, and unwilling to speak out for fear of losing their jobs.

I think that little obstacle can be overcome, but the story would not be an overnight production. It would take months to put together in such a way that it was ready for prime-time.

I think 60 Minutes would do a bang-up job of getting the word out. It could also be done as part of a series on the not-so-honest world of healthcare in the U.S. Most of the public thinks the healthcare industry is squeaky-clean, and that their doctors are gods.

Heh-heh.... if they only knew!

LET'S CALL DATELINE OR 60 MINUTES!!! - old mter

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you think?

I think the whole offshoring subject would be a very timely - one for them right now, with so many

[ In Reply To ..]
Americans either looking for work, or underpaid because their jobs can be done by foreigners.

chicken scratch - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I have copies of my medical reports from my ob/gyn and they are all chicken scratch handwritten pages. Honestly, it's about 50 pages of handwriting, difficult to decipher. There are a few printouts from lab tests, otherwise, no MT got anywhere near my reports.

I've been telling people about the outsourcing of medical records and making sure they know just how dangerous it could be for them, but many people tell me that they've seen their records and those, too, are handwritten. They don't believe me about outsourcing or, at the least, don't care.

Similar Messages:

Hey IMedX Gives Ya Public Kudos
Mar 05, 2014

Check it out!  You can even see BOTH headquarters.   http://www.facebook.com/followimedx ...

I WANT MY PERSONAL HIPAA INFO PUBLIC
Aug 23, 2012

When is it that our private information is so sacred.  How about posting online all my ailments.  Does it really matter?  Is it not coincidental that AAMT in their day, and others wanting $$, happened to push HIPAA through at a time when no one really cared?  It is a scam, just a department builder of jobs.  When is it that our ailments are so secret?  ...

Story On Billing And Coding On American Public
Apr 10, 2012

I just heard a story on American Public Media's Marketplace via my local NPR radio station.  There is a transcript of it online.  Very interesting, especially towards the end when they talk about how the system of billing based on codes is not cost efficient anymore with the complexity of health care and that, as insurers keep paying less and less for each code, providers dig around and find more and more codes that they can bill for on each procedure or hospital stay to make up f ...

Erroneous Info In Reports - Does The Public Care?
Jun 24, 2013

I assume health care is investing in programs that they think will enable them to eliminate having to use editors.  However, we all know that doctors do not have the time nor the patience to edit their reports and their non-MT staff are not qualified to do so. I spent a day documenting errors that would be left in reports if they were not edited.  75% of them contained erroneous diagnoses, conditions the patients did not even have a history of, which included STDs and head lice - thin ...

It's Disgraceful That MModal Hasn't Made A Public Statement
Mar 08, 2014

This is an absolute disgrace.  Not just out of courtesy to the employees that break their back to earn the money they've mismanaged, but also as a courtesy to their clients who pump money into their overly fattened wallets.  What kind of a company allows an entire day to fly by on the heels of a bankruptcy announcement in the press and doesn't make a statement?  Do they honestly believe we don't know this is happening?  Surely they must know their employees a ...