A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Epic taking MT jobs away? - MT32

Posted: Dec 04, 2011

I posted this in the VR/Speech Rec forum but reposted it here since that forum doesn't seem to get much traffic lately.   The hospital I work for changed over the Editscript last year.  Changeover went relatively smoothly, and we still had plenty of work to keep all the transcriptionists busy (after we stopped outsourcing the overflow we used to have).  Recently, the hospital switched to Epic electronic medical record system, and within a week the transcription workload plummeted to probably 40% of our former workload --not enough to keep our transcription staff busy.  It seems the doctors/nurses/etc are using the "point and click" capability in Epic.  This "seems" to have been a surprise to administration.  While they say they expected somewhat of a dropoff in transcription, the amount we've lost is astounding.  We (transcriptionists) tend to believe that administration didn't expect such a decline in transcription, especially since they just invested millions of dollars in Editscript.  The doctors are very unhappy with Epic reports and the amount of time it takes them to complete their notes, meanwhile, the transcription staff is sitting in limbo (probably not for long....we all imagine layoffs after the first of the year).  My question is, has anyone out there experienced a similar situation....Editscript didn't take our jobs but Epic possibly will.....

yes, worked on 100+ physician staff for 7 years; that - account now done due to Epic. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

more: Am hoping docs find this time consuming and not thorough, and that - some choose to continue to dictate. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not likely. - Patient

[ In Reply To ..]
My ENT doc started using it about 4 years ago. Yes, it's timeconsuming, but in his mind it's "saving money" since there are no MTs on the payroll.

My primary care doc has been on it for about 7 years. Yes, it takes time up during my visit, but the entire practice went on it and it's not going to change.

You can keep "hoping" all you want, but the reality is that it's going forth.
Reality and the MT - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I sure hope people are reading this thread. I was horribly attacked last week when I talked about Epic and our future. I am so glad more people are posting about it because people need to wake up. Big changes are coming for all of us and they are going to deeply impact us. It does no good to ignore it and hope it goes away. This is a mandated change and all healthcare professionals/institutions must be compliant by 2014.
MANY attacks on this board. sm - Paula
[ In Reply To ..]
I have read several vicious attacks on people trying to discuss this. It's sickening!

Probably the attackers are MTSOs and/or school owners. I wish more people would come to the defense of those being verbally assaulted on here for no reason other than they state the TRUTH.
I had the same feeling - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I believe there are MTSOs on this board discouraging talk about EMRs. You can almost tell by the way they talk. I have now read posts by many people who have been directly affected by EMR and now is not the time to bury our head in the sand.

REASON Why Epic or other EMR software is not leaving... - rosie

[ In Reply To ..]
By 2013, if physician's are not using EMR of some sort - they will NOT be reimbursed by Medicare/Medicaid - thus says the government. It doesn't matter if doctors don't like it...they are being forced into it. Period.
reimbursements - pumpernickel
[ In Reply To ..]
Just a minor point of correction - there will be decreases in Medicare/Medicaid reimbursements after 2014 (Health and Human Services just bumped the date by a year this week) if there is no EMR showing meaningful use, but they will not lose all reimbursement. If memory serves me correctly it is about 5% decrease. Not a ton, but it would definitely add up.
Posts here in previously say that is not true, about the G., and is Epic way of - getting all on board? n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
It's true. Google is your friend. SM - Reader
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course it's true. There are articles all over the Internet about this, and all the vendors selling EHR software has these posted on their websites.

Why you would repeat what some poster here said instead of looking it up yourself is just mindboggling.
Reason why Epic - ej
[ In Reply To ..]
From what I understand they have to have electronic access to records, but can still dictate and have it in their system. However, physician offices MUST also use electronic records or be paid at a lesser rate.

Unfortunately, it is not more time consuming. - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It actually takes them way less time and we all know how they hate to dictate.

Epic taking MT jobs away? - mamt

[ In Reply To ..]
I was an MT/Supervisor for a multispecialty physician group for over 10 years. They went to "point and click" back in about 2002 and eliminated MTs completely. They're still using it and I know many of their patients (including me) don't appreciate watching the practitioners "type" (actually 2 finger pecking is more like it) during the office visit. Unfortunately, it hasn't stopped them from using it as I'm sure it has saved them a bundle!

Epic and point and click - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The two have some characteristics in common but not a lot. There is a point and click aspect, but Epic pulls in much of the information from the patient's record itself. Physicians are only dictating small portions of the HPI and SOMETIMES, but not often the impression. Most of the rest is either pulled in from the record or point and click. Also, operative reports still have to be dictated. That's good news for those who do ops. I am sure they will find a way to eliminate that as well.

Epic - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
My experience too. Our workload plummeted as well beginning with day 1 of Epic, not enough work to keep everyone busy, I've been working in a non-MT capacity but we're also expecting layoffs. Our doctors don't like Epic either but it was a huge financial investment and continue to use it. You are not alone.

Epic creates a report from available data on the hospital computer. - Epic

[ In Reply To ..]
The doctor only has to dictate the history. All else can be drawn from the Epic system. My DH is an Epic Consultant, so is actively putting us out of business. It is a rather brilliant system. Doctors don't have to do their reports themselves. They just assign it to be done by their residents.

Another viewpoint... - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
While Googling EPIC to learn more about it, I came across this video.

Granted, the visuals aren't really in keeping with what's going on, but just listening to the audio will crack you up! (but it's not really haha funny but scary for patients, as you will see)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1BPvMbNpk

Haha - Laughing

[ In Reply To ..]
That was funny. I especially liked the end.

I posted this same thing here last week - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
But everyone attacked me and said I didn't know what I was talking about. And then I saw another post a few days ago that talked about Epic and the department losing their jobs, not just MTs, but in billing, coding, lots of jobs lost to this system that just "does it all." So glad to see your post only because it confirms what SOME of us already know. Epic is going to kill this industry just as surely as it shot us all in the head and the hospitals are buying it; they have to, because they have to be on EMR by 2014. Our work flow went from 400 plus reports per day to sometimes less than 40. And they are only partial reports because they can pull in most of the report from the point and click system and it pulls in the rest from the patient's existing medical record.

Similar Messages:

Just Read Epic Is Taking Over Mayo Clinic Account-sm
Jan 22, 2015

What company has that?  Didn't they just recently outsource in the first place?   ...

Are There Jobs Out There For People Put Out Of Work With Epic, Etc.
Aug 05, 2012

How long is it  taking to find a job and do you have to settle for weekends and all the hours no one else wants.  My account is getting ready to go on Epic so I dont know how long I will have a job either.  I would like to go PT when this happens but have no clue what is the best way to go about this because I havent had to look for a job for so long.  I am IC and really dont want employee as I dont need to have their benes.  Do you hear from people if you post your resu ...

Are Scribes Taking MT Jobs Away?
Dec 04, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/11/trsi-to-train-medical-scribes.html?showComment=1291473665715#c222684303620260150 ...

These Are The People Who Are Taking Our Jobs
Oct 10, 2014

The company I work for was recently bought out by another company. Much of our work has already been sent offshore. And now we have Indian email addresses. This is from an email I received: WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMALIES A HAAPY DUSSEHRA. How is it that these companies think those folks can produce decent medical reports? It just boggles the mind. ...

Jobs Taking Forever To Load?
Feb 11, 2013

x ...

How Long Do You Wait For Jobs Before Taking A Break?
Jul 15, 2011

I am on a troublesome account that is fairly new to the company and is a mix of VR and straight transcripiton.  When it first started, there was plenty of work.  All that work has now dried up.  I am lucky if I get a total of 400 lines per day.  Most of my day (approximately 12 hours a day) I sit and keep clicking for the next job to download from EditScript and most of the time anymore nothing comes.  My question for anyone who would care to answer is how long would you ...

No Worries About Speech Recognition Taking Our Jobs
Jul 25, 2014

Just a note to all you frustrated MTs who think speech recognition is going to take away all our jobs.  I just had a job today that interpreted general appearance as genital warts!!  When listening, the doctor did obviously say general appearance.  So fear not, I think there will always be a place for MTs in the future!! ...

Does Anyone Who Works On Epic Find That Once A Facility Goes To Epic You Have Some Work Left To
Sep 05, 2012

continue to do.  ...

Regarding Epic System. How Will The EMRs Do Regarding OR Reports. Will That Go To Epic Or Will The
Dec 20, 2011

speech or straight transcription.  Just wondering about that and DS, Consults, etc. ...

As Far As Epic Goes, What Will Happen To OR Reports On Epic. Will
Aug 02, 2012

that also do away with MTs doing OR reports which is about all I really do. ...

Do Some Of The Hospitals That Use DQS Also Use Epic Or Will Epic Replace
Aug 08, 2012

DQS completely and the hospital will drop MQ.  Just curious about that.  It seems Epic is the way to go and was not sure if that can be interspersed with DQS or eliminate MQ altogether with DQS.  ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

What Is Epic
Jan 29, 2010

Please see my post below.  I was afraid it would get lost, and really would like to know what kind of threat Epic is to us.  I've lost one account to them, and now possibly another. ...

EMR, Epic, Etc.
Dec 12, 2011

With the hospitalis going to EMR, they are being forced to by the government is what was explained to me, i.e. Epic. So then my taxes are being used to put me out of business. ...

EPIC And MT
Jun 06, 2012

Nuance is certainly the reason for my cut in pay to the toon of around $700.00 a month!  However, how does everyone feel about EPIC further taking over our jobs by 2014?? ...

What Is Epic?
Feb 01, 2014

x ...

Where Do I Find The Status Of Jobs And Number Of Jobs?
Nov 26, 2012

I tried entering my ID plus dep on the Fluency for Transcription page and it said my account was inactive.  Okay, so I tried twice with Remedy to get it reactivated.  Both times I got emails telling me it was working.  Tried again and no luck.  Am I on the right page, the one with the hideous orange splash, the same one we use to find our stats?  Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to call tech support if I don't have to.  Do I even need to d ...

EPIC Replacing Us
Feb 04, 2010

Here is an interesting site for information on EPIC and the MT:  http://www.healthinformaticsforum.com/forum/topics/2068976:Topic:7668 ...

Epic Transcription
Sep 10, 2010

Epic - Anybody using Epic transcription?  Hospital I work for is switching to Epic.  MT's will still transcribe radiology reports.  Would like to know what the system is like for transcription.  Can you make your own macros?  Can you use a word expander.  It is complicated? ...

Epic/Editscript
Dec 04, 2011

The hospital I work for changed over the Editscript last year.  Changeover went relatively smoothly, and we still had plenty of work to keep all the transcriptionists busy (after we stopped outsourcing the overflow we used to have).  Recently, the hospital switched to Epic electronic medical record system, and within a week the transcription workload plumeted to probably 40% of our former workload --not enough to keep our transcription staff busy.  It seems the doctors/nurses/etc ...

EPIC Is The Beginning Of The End...
Dec 20, 2011

Work for a MTSO who had more than we could do, EPIC on board and now are fightly over the few scraps... in a matter of weeks, things can change FAST... Time to dust off the resume.. for what it's worth.   ...

More About Epic. Have The Surgicenters Gone To
Dec 21, 2011

using Epic yet.  Gee, doesnt sound promising for us in the near future does it.  I work for a surgicenter and so far it is all straight transcription and not VR yet even.  There are a tremendous amount of very difficult ESLs on this account. ...

Epic And Coding
Dec 21, 2011

With so much talk about Epic taking away MT jobs, do you think it will do the same with coding?  Maybe not just Epic but technology advances will affect coding down the road, yes or no?  So worried I just wasted a year of my life studying coding and it may not be a stable career. ...

EPIC System
Mar 01, 2012

So who has been affected by Epic out of Madison, WI?  It took away a lot of our work at the clinic.   ...

Life After Epic
Oct 19, 2012

Hi all, The hospital I work for will start using Epic next year.  From everything I have read, I understand that transcription will most likely be cut in half.  For those of you have gone through this already, have you seen any other jobs created AFTER Epic?  I know there may be editing, but should we expect anything else?   ...

Epic Radiant
May 09, 2013

Has / does anyone work on Epic Radiant platform?  Could you please give the the ups and downs of this platform.  I need to make a quick decision about a position working on that platform and would like to make an informed decision.  Quirks, glitches, issues?  speed ? Thanks. ...

EPIC Question
Dec 20, 2013

For those in-house transcriptionists and IC at-home transcriptionists who have been through an EPIC launch/dragon dictation, does it totally eliminate the transcription?  I am just curious.  Wouldn't there be some types of reports that could not be done by either?  ...

EPIC Clientele
Mar 01, 2014

List of Epic clients from April, 2013 (too many to paste).  Also see comments following for more who have started with Epic who are not on the list.  I thought some might be interested in checking to see if their accounts are using EPIC. http://epic.usergroup.healthitsocial.com/page/epic-hospitals ...

Epic Fail!
Jan 15, 2015

TSA sent out an e-mail to EVERYBODY that should have gone to the PODmistress. I would've been terminated on the spot.  ...