A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

More about Epic. Have the surgicenters gone to - PAMT

Posted: Dec 21, 2011

using Epic yet.  Gee, doesnt sound promising for us in the near future does it.  I work for a surgicenter and so far it is all straight transcription and not VR yet even.  There are a tremendous amount of very difficult ESLs on this account.

Surgery Centers - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I called a local surgery center in my area to see if they had any transcription openings, and she said they use all templates for their surgeries. I'm guessing it's not complicated stuff, but still...

INDIA WILL LOSE JOBS! - PAYBACK IS SO RICH!

[ In Reply To ..]
The answer is YES! Healthcare is mandated to use EMR by 2015. Right now there are government incentives to make this happen. This includes hospitals all the way down to the local doc-in-the-box office. Epic slaughtered our line counts at my hospital. I went from doing about 2500 lines a day down to about 100 lines per day. Epic uses point and click to place information into the permanent record.

I would keep my eyes open for ways to get out this profession. Maybe go back to school at night. Prepare yourself to be without an MT job because they will be gone, and our government did this to us.

As a side note, I am giddy with job now. Spheris (and the next takeover company and the one after that) took over our staff jobs at Yale-New Haven and then promptly sent the work over to our "friends" in India. Hey India, look at Yale's website now. They are hiring for Epic implementation in a big way. Now you're the ones about to lose your jobs and I couldn't be more delighted that you are going to get what you deserve.

That's giddy with joy (not job) - that India will lose jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
I was so excited, I made a typo. My bad.

Wow.... - empire lady

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't put the blame on the Indians. They're trying to make a living just like us, and most likely had been living in conditions that we can't begin to imagine, unless you're living by a garbage dump in a cardboard/tin box. I hate the fact of off-shoring, but it's the politicians and corps who have done this. While I most definitely wish to get jobs back into this country where they belong, I wish no ill upon my fellow human beings on this earth. But, that's just me.

Okay, I suppose with the current temperament on this board, I will get bashed, and, frankly I really don't care, but I can't get on board with taking delight in seeing anyone go back into an abject poverty that, again, we can't even comprehend.

Blame the powers that be, government and corporations for giving and yanking jobs away from people, wherever they live in the world.

No, I agree, Empire. Indian MTs are colleagues just - as competitors here are. Would that

[ In Reply To ..]
all the passion and anger would be properly directed where it will do some good--through the voting booth to gain control over those trashing both our countries, and 100 others, for personal profit. And maybe against ourselves for not just allowing, but in many cases encouraging, the practices that have lead us to allow the decimation of the middle class.

As for EPIC and other technology changes, the enormous problem is that new jobs that do not require a college degree are not paying a middle class wage. It's not because we do not earn it, it's because they can get away with stuffing our earnings in their own pockets instead. Theoretical factors of supply and demand are completely failing to create equitable wages in an environment in which companies have grown beyond the ability of local labor (us and people like us in ALL countries) to control them.

Again--we need to vote our rights and your interests. There are over 300 million of us. We can cut business down to size, bring back the antitrust laws and enact other controls--if we will. We have been divided and conquered by being persuaded by leaders to attack each other instead of our problems. Way past time to wise up and get rid of those who have betrayed our trust many times over.
Agree with everything you said... - except
[ In Reply To ..]
''Indians are colleagues''?!---Whose colleagues? Certainly not mine. At the risk of political incorrectness, it is the height of lunacy to embrace people who not only are driving wages down for my true colleagues, American MTs/QAs, but also get the most basic and therefore most lucrative (producion-wise) work. No, my sympathies are with my American colleagues. Otherwise, your post is spot-on.
Except, our problem is global. And what's the difference between - competing with someone in
[ In Reply To ..]
(insert any location in U.S. that suits), who works part time for play money and who can afford to keep working no matter how far rates drop, and an MT in India supporting her family on her earnings? Answer: The former is driving our wages down at least as much as the latter. Many institutions insist on keeping work onshore, but rates keep plummeting nonetheless.

The fact is, many industries have become too powerful to rein in--around the planet--and lower-level workers in hundreds of jobs in many industries in hundreds of regions around the planet are experiencing the same sliced and diced wages we are, even as production, and thus profits, skyrockets.

That's why my sympathies are also with hardworking fellow MTs in India--because they're in the same when-you-drown-there-are-plenty-of-others-to-take-your-place boat. Some there only use MT as a stepping stone to better, but those who can't do that are in trouble just like us. Many, of course, work for the same companies we do.

As for the frivolous players onshore, whose availability is a big factor in our falling wages, I understand them and agree they have a right to exist and to work for spending binges at Pottery Barn. But the reality is, even if they're not that dependable, they're a weapon that can be and is used against anyone who tries to insist, for instance, that they won't transcribe reports put through for "editing" at editing line rates. Don't like it? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. There're plenty who will.
I am not the primary wage earner here, but if I dont work - we dont eat, replace broken SN
[ In Reply To ..]
appliances, help our children financially when they are in dire straits, etc. I may not be the primary but I am a necessary secondary income provider.

agreed, well said - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yept, but now they are starting to hire for us to - Still happy

[ In Reply To ..]
There was an ad the other day hiring MT data personel. You follow behind the doctor and physician asst and you enter all the info (basically point and click).

With scribes making $9 per hour, what do you think - LeftBrained

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you think an MT data person would make? My guess would be somewhere in the $9 per hour range, just like the scribes.

Jobs in India lost? - caseyatbat16

[ In Reply To ..]
Those jobs taken from Americans (who demanded so much more money/benefits than any workers in India doing comparable work)were sent to India by American companies wanting (and needing) to cut down on overhead (wages/benefits in particular). Don't blame the workers in India. They didn't steal American's jobs. They are working for a fraction of the wages/benefits that would otherwise be paid to Americans and happy to be working. The UAW of the US almost ruined the American automotive industry with their constant demands for more wages, benefits, less hours, etc. It got so bad that UAW workers were knocking down over $30/hr. and bragging in beerjoints that they weren't even completely assemblying automobiles. I know. I bought two new ones. The 1973 Gremlin had incompletely installed upholstery in the rear with the screws just lying there on the floor - obviously just thrown in. The 1977 Ford F-150 had the wrong speedometer gear installed in the transmission which cost me an expensive speeding ticket plus there were no engine mounts installed on the left side. I complained to the salesman that the engine raised up when revved and he said that was normal. I was naive enough to believe him. It cost me to have the engine mounts installed.
Millions of workers throughout the world get by on far less than that demanded by American workers. Could it be that for far too long Americans have behaved like spoiled, rotten brats?

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Who Works On Epic Find That Once A Facility Goes To Epic You Have Some Work Left To
Sep 05, 2012

continue to do.  ...

Regarding Epic System. How Will The EMRs Do Regarding OR Reports. Will That Go To Epic Or Will The
Dec 20, 2011

speech or straight transcription.  Just wondering about that and DS, Consults, etc. ...

As Far As Epic Goes, What Will Happen To OR Reports On Epic. Will
Aug 02, 2012

that also do away with MTs doing OR reports which is about all I really do. ...

Do Some Of The Hospitals That Use DQS Also Use Epic Or Will Epic Replace
Aug 08, 2012

DQS completely and the hospital will drop MQ.  Just curious about that.  It seems Epic is the way to go and was not sure if that can be interspersed with DQS or eliminate MQ altogether with DQS.  ...

What Is Epic
Jan 29, 2010

Please see my post below.  I was afraid it would get lost, and really would like to know what kind of threat Epic is to us.  I've lost one account to them, and now possibly another. ...

EMR, Epic, Etc.
Dec 12, 2011

With the hospitalis going to EMR, they are being forced to by the government is what was explained to me, i.e. Epic. So then my taxes are being used to put me out of business. ...

EPIC And MT
Jun 06, 2012

Nuance is certainly the reason for my cut in pay to the toon of around $700.00 a month!  However, how does everyone feel about EPIC further taking over our jobs by 2014?? ...

What Is Epic?
Feb 01, 2014

x ...

EPIC Replacing Us
Feb 04, 2010

Here is an interesting site for information on EPIC and the MT:  http://www.healthinformaticsforum.com/forum/topics/2068976:Topic:7668 ...

Epic Transcription
Sep 10, 2010

Epic - Anybody using Epic transcription?  Hospital I work for is switching to Epic.  MT's will still transcribe radiology reports.  Would like to know what the system is like for transcription.  Can you make your own macros?  Can you use a word expander.  It is complicated? ...

Epic/Editscript
Dec 04, 2011

The hospital I work for changed over the Editscript last year.  Changeover went relatively smoothly, and we still had plenty of work to keep all the transcriptionists busy (after we stopped outsourcing the overflow we used to have).  Recently, the hospital switched to Epic electronic medical record system, and within a week the transcription workload plumeted to probably 40% of our former workload --not enough to keep our transcription staff busy.  It seems the doctors/nurses/etc ...

EPIC Is The Beginning Of The End...
Dec 20, 2011

Work for a MTSO who had more than we could do, EPIC on board and now are fightly over the few scraps... in a matter of weeks, things can change FAST... Time to dust off the resume.. for what it's worth.   ...

Epic And Coding
Dec 21, 2011

With so much talk about Epic taking away MT jobs, do you think it will do the same with coding?  Maybe not just Epic but technology advances will affect coding down the road, yes or no?  So worried I just wasted a year of my life studying coding and it may not be a stable career. ...

EPIC System
Mar 01, 2012

So who has been affected by Epic out of Madison, WI?  It took away a lot of our work at the clinic.   ...

Life After Epic
Oct 19, 2012

Hi all, The hospital I work for will start using Epic next year.  From everything I have read, I understand that transcription will most likely be cut in half.  For those of you have gone through this already, have you seen any other jobs created AFTER Epic?  I know there may be editing, but should we expect anything else?   ...

Epic Radiant
May 09, 2013

Has / does anyone work on Epic Radiant platform?  Could you please give the the ups and downs of this platform.  I need to make a quick decision about a position working on that platform and would like to make an informed decision.  Quirks, glitches, issues?  speed ? Thanks. ...

EPIC Question
Dec 20, 2013

For those in-house transcriptionists and IC at-home transcriptionists who have been through an EPIC launch/dragon dictation, does it totally eliminate the transcription?  I am just curious.  Wouldn't there be some types of reports that could not be done by either?  ...

EPIC Clientele
Mar 01, 2014

List of Epic clients from April, 2013 (too many to paste).  Also see comments following for more who have started with Epic who are not on the list.  I thought some might be interested in checking to see if their accounts are using EPIC. http://epic.usergroup.healthitsocial.com/page/epic-hospitals ...

Epic Fail!
Jan 15, 2015

TSA sent out an e-mail to EVERYBODY that should have gone to the PODmistress. I would've been terminated on the spot.  ...

EPIC Organizations
Feb 05, 2015

Organizations on the Care Everywhere Network ...

EPIC-new EMR With No Transcriptionists Needed??
Jan 26, 2010

Hello! Just wondering if anyone has heard of "Epic" a new EMR. I work for a doctor's office and was told no need anymore for transcription. Checking to see if anyone is in the same boat I am or heard of this new EMR. Thanks ...

UhOh, ER Doc Said He Had To Wait For EPIC Guy To
Jan 30, 2010

to get out of his way.  Does not bode well for the largest private hospital west of the Mississippi in the City of Angels. ...

Anybody Ever Work On Epic EMR Software? If So,
Jul 29, 2010

what are the similarities and differences between their use and the major transcription platforms?  Would experience with such transcriptions platforms DocQScribe (Document Enterprise Program), ChartScript, CQuence, Vianeta, etc. be of any use when learning Epic?  ...

Epic Taking MT Jobs Away?
Dec 04, 2011

I posted this in the VR/Speech Rec forum but reposted it here since that forum doesn't seem to get much traffic lately.   The hospital I work for changed over the Editscript last year.  Changeover went relatively smoothly, and we still had plenty of work to keep all the transcriptionists busy (after we stopped outsourcing the overflow we used to have).  Recently, the hospital switched to Epic electronic medical record system, and within a week the transcription workload plummeted to ...

Found Out Hospital Has Gone To EPIC
Dec 12, 2011

I was wondering why the amount of available jobs has dwindle to almost nothing, MTSO has some excuse like they are now dictating at night more etc etc... did a Google search and low and behond the hospital has put in the EPIC system... I have heard on here that it decreases the available work tremendously... and I'm here to tell you, it does.  The end is near!!!!! ...

EPIC - Venting Session!
Dec 20, 2011

Venting session! I am a part-time work-at-home transcriptionist employed at a local hospital as "resource".  When I started a couple months ago we had over 1500 jobs in the "cue" with mandatory overtime ... then along came EPIC.  The regular employees are working in 2 hour shifts so everyone can get a few reports in ... having under 75 dictations has become the norm and there isn't enough work for them ... and I have had no work for 6 weeks.  ...

Epic Close To Home...
Jan 16, 2012

A HUGE clinic with many different specialties in this area has went to Epic and now have laid off 30 MTs.  They said with Epic they didn't need them all.  What a shame!  I actually use that clinic, and I knew something was up a couple months ago when I went to the doctor.  They had a new system and they were typing everything in the computer.  When I left they gave me this printout that looked like a medical report.  It had my diagnosis, medicati ...

Impact Of EPIC On Coding
Feb 26, 2012

I was reading a post on one of the other boards about what an EPIC or point-and-click report looks like and it made me think about what it would be like to code a report like that.  Was wondering if any coders here code EMR point-and-click reports and does it make your job harder?  I would think that lots of narrative and detail would be more helpful in coding.  I've never actually seen an EPIC report so I don't know.  Thanks.  ...

Doctor Blogs About Epic
Jun 08, 2012

Old Habits in the New Medical Order Mark Crislip, MD, Infectious Diseases, 05:16PM Mar 15, 2012   I am getting too damn old and rather than the prior understanding with a knowing smile at the foibles of medicine, I find I am getting increasingly irritated.  It is a sure sign that I am getting to the end of my career.  Maybe it is my increasingly discomfiture with the feeling that I never really know what is going on with patients.  People can respond to a ...

Epic Radiology Instructions
Jul 14, 2012

The hospital I work for is switching to Epic soon. We were given an instruction workbook but its very confusing. I've tried to make myself a cheat sheet, but can't figure it out. Does anyone have a cheat sheet or some simple instructions for epic radiology transcription? I know its different at each hospital, but maybe I can make some sense of it. Please help. ...