A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Best Incentives/Rewards for MTs? - Rachel

Posted: Dec 07, 2010

Hi All, I own an MTSO and want to offer the best pay structure possible for our MTs and Team Leads that are hourly employees. Unfortunately, the economy and this industry are still tough, so the sky is not the limit as far as how much I can pay per line. However, I was hoping to offer monthly/quarterly bonuses based on quality and attendance (combined with meeting daily line count requirements). Things we've considered are: A paid day off as MT of the month Monthly bonus of $25 for excellent attendance/quality Quarterly bonus of $100 for attendance/quality Gift cards to restaurants/movies/online websites I hate to give production bonuses because turning in 10,000 poorly typed lines is not the same as an MT who proofs each report and takes that extra time to make sure our clients get the best possible transcripts. If any of you would be willing to share your favorite pay incentives, bonuses, rewards, gifts, etc I'd love to hear it so I can make sure to offer our MTs the best that's out there. Please email me at therighttype@gmail.com Thank you!

Nice topic. :) - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
Barring a high base line rate, I will always be looking for an incentive or bonus pay plan I can use to create that high line rate consistently. Perhaps you could make good quality an eligibility requirement?

(Of course, from what I see in completed reports, every company I've worked at seems to have at least one apparently very valuable employee who puts out really lousy work but presumably vast dependable quantities of it. How else to explain? :)

If you can't afford that now, though, what grabbed my eye was the paid day off, both for the lovely extra free time and the pay. I'm guessing a typical day's pay would be more than the $100 quarterly bonus you're also considering.

Incentives - BackwoodsMT

[ In Reply To ..]
At one company I worked for the minimum line requirement was 1,200 lines per day for which you were paid the regular base line rate. I think it was maybe a half cent for more lines to 1,500, and an even larger rate for lines typed over 1,500. This, however, does not allow for a stipulations regarding accuracy and somehow that should be considered.

If the work flow does not allow for "free" days off, then the bonuses are certainly attractive. Something is better than nothing.

Thank you for sharing these ideas.

An idea I have had - AgingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
This idea is to specifically address the problem of demographics and cc's. Usually that is a screen that needs to be carefully checked and verified, but not paid for.

I was trying to think of a way to compensate the time spent on these vital items. The only thing I have come up with so far is that the MT gets 1 dollar per report ONLY IF every demographic item and cc is correct/flagged. So, 20 reports, 20 bucks; 1 report wrong, no bucks.

To the ones who say that we should pay attention to the demo screen even if not paid, I completely agree. I'm just saying, if it is SO important, then find a way to compensate for what often takes longer to fix than it does to transcribe the report!

That's a novel idea! I, too, hate all the unpaid time I - spend diddling around with the demographics. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Being warned that I'd be fired for a 3rd mistake - after missing 2 misidentified patients

[ In Reply To ..]
(who MOI?! Really??) was all the incentive I needed to pay better attention.

And let's face it, it's NOT unpaid work. It's a significant part of the job we're paid for.
No, we're NOT paid for it. If we were, the more time - we spent trying to decipher the - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
disaster-area a.k.a. "patient demographics", the more money we would be making. And they just make it more ridiculously slow and complicated every few months.
Huh? We ARE. Really. "Line rate" is just short for - "pay for signing on, etc., opening programs,
[ In Reply To ..]
etc., answering e-mails, etc., verifying demographics, etc., and performing all other ancillary duties of this position, etc."
But they ARE lines we don't get paid for - AgingMT
[ In Reply To ..]
At any company I have worked at, the demographics are completely unpaid. In other words, not even the "lines" I type in for patient name, number, physician, etc., are paid. Do those go unpaid to the MTSO as well? No one has ever had a real answer for me.

BTW, I feel depressed at the reminder of all the time I spend that is not actually paid but required. In the 90's when I started to work on a line rate I was required to do nothing but transcribe. Even the demographics were considered "clerical" and if not dictated QA took care of it. Alas, those were the days.

Where I work we are paid on a tiered - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
system like another poster mentioned, 1200 base, then 0.05 cpl increase for every 200 lines above that up to 0.13 cpl.

The one thing I have a problem with is PTO amount. If working on straight production, there is not an "hourly" rate which compensates for the time off. When I take PTO, I am making literally 1/2 or less of what I make working production. That is definitely something that needs addressing. At one facility I worked for, our PTO was determined on an "average" of what we made the preceding month.

As for addressing poor quality, that could be taken care of through audits. We have a set requirement, if we fall below that for 2 consecutive audits, our incentive is gone until our next audit. That takes care of the quality issue in most cases.

i like the gift card idea - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Bonuses and gift cards are nice. I like American Express - giftcards that can be used almost anywhere.

[ In Reply To ..]
Does Amazon.com have gift cards? Those would be cool, as well. So would Walmart.

I think the paid day off is nice, too.

I agree with you that paying for quality and attendance is better than higher production. MTs automatically get paid more for more production just by working. Those with difficult accounts or few if any templates would be left out.

Maybe, after an MT has proven that they take that extra initiative to double-check their work, and who get consistently high quality, should be rewarded with an increase in the pay-per-line they get every day. Speaking for myself, that would be a huge incentive for me, because it's an achievable goal; whereas most of the time those ultra-high line counts aren't achievable, especially when work is sparse.

:)

It seems refreshing to read this effort on your part. - SignMeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems more and more that not many companies we work for care at all about the MT being satisfied. I did a paper for a business management class once on the benefits of keeping good employees, which is something I think has been of no particular interest to most MTSOs lately. Unfortunately, it seems to be the last thing on their minds.

I think any of your suggestions would and should be appreciated these days in this industry. I am so tired of getting the ole "your extra work is appreciated" and coupled with my 99.9% QAs, I could just scream.

Thank you for your post. Hope springs eternal. Are you hiring?

Similar Messages:

New MT Rewards Plan
Oct 11, 2013

Does anyone know what this is or where it can be found?  Thanks. ...

One More Thing...new Rewards Plan...pto
Jan 17, 2011

In the new rewards plan concerning pto I cannot find anything where it mentions how pto rate is calculated every 6 months.   It was listed in the old rewards 2006 about every 6 months how they send out a new calculated rate for us.  am I missing it in the new plan?  If so, can someone please tell me where they have it listed. TIA.    ...

Discover $13 Rewards Card
Oct 05, 2014

Okay, what did I miss here and please advise.  Drove 25 minutes to the local Staples store to buy a new mouse for my personal computer (2), and at checkout, no matter what the girl did, it would not take my M-Modal $13 Discover Rewards card.  She obviously knew how to run a register and tried as a credit, then debit, even swiped at checkout where you sign, still a no go.   No biggie that I had to pay for this, but that was the reason I drove the distance to Staples to purchase thi ...

Open Letter To Transcend/ Rewards And Communications
Mar 31, 2011

Finally, after 2 days, I found the list of the new teams they created for communications and rewards.  The Rewards team will have it easy as there are no rewards.  All you need to know about winning a contest is to know who the names on the list of people they want to give a little extra to and you will have the winner.  It is nothing about meeting the criteria for the current game being played, it is all about favorites..   As far as communications, that is a differen ...

WEEKEND INCENTIVES
Nov 10, 2009

How do you guys feel about the weekend incentives that MQ sometimes offers?  You know, the 3 cents per line more for exceeding a line count that they calculate from the past for you.  Do you actually make more money or is it eaten away by taxes, and is it worth busting your butt for?  ...

I Think I Know What's Good About Incentives. Sm
Oct 17, 2010

I get NJA on Sunday morning in the beautiful crisp sunny South.  Now I can go to church and then go on a picnic to see the waterfalls and God's glorious paint brush on the leaves!!!    There is always brightness in every discouragement.  Yeah, so what, I am not making any money, but it does not cost anything and saves my sanity when I can enjoy the free time with my beloved family!!!    Have a Blessed Day all MQ friends and cohorts.  ...

How Come We Do Not Get Bonuses Or Incentives.
Jan 04, 2013

We used to get shift differentials and extra if you work weekends.  Also used to get more if you type a certain amount, but with no jobs what does it matter.   ...

System Down - Incentives
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, put all the incentives in place you want.  No help will be coming from ME.  I hope all the accounts get PO'd and find another company to do their work, one that doesn't outsource! ...

Hey Nuancers. Tell Us About The New Incentives
Jul 18, 2013

for QC where the more mistakes they find, the more they make, up to 40%. I hear they have the highest Q% rate and on some accounts allow no blanks. Is that true?-Unbelievable. ...

Can Anyone Please Explain WHY MQ Has Stupid Incentives
Oct 09, 2010

and offering OT on weekends when there is not enough work as it is.  As per usual during an incentive (I work FT and work Saturday), half way thru my shift I get NJA.  ***  On these stupid incentives, I just pray that I can even get my hours in much less any freaking OT. I know this is a redundant saying but......THIS COMPANY MAKES NO LOGICAL SENSE!!  All the supervisors/managers/whoever who make these decisions all RIDICULOUS........... ...

Our POD Has Mandatory OT But Other PODs Are Getting Incentives
Mar 16, 2015

x ...

Are The QA Incentive And Production Incentives Tied To Each Other
Dec 12, 2012

I have been on a conference call.  I am a former transcender.  I thought it was pretty clear that the QA and production incentives were not related to each other but people seem to be confused.  What is the feeling on this?  I thought it was pretty simple. ...