A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Have you noticed all the IC transcription jobs - MT

Posted: Jun 18, 2015

wanting you to give them a set schedule during set hours and days? Also, how many hours you have to do during those set times? Is that what IC is nowadays? I see the benefit for them, but where's the benefit for me? Am I missing something?

IC - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
By law, if you are an IC and fill out a 1099 form, they cannot ask you to have a set schedule. I work as an IC and my company only asks for a minimum number of lines (which is a very, very reasonable number), but I make my own hours and work whenever I want. If a company is trying to make you a 1099 IC, then they cannot make you adhere to a schedule.

That's what I thought, but that's what they are - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
advertising their position as IC for. So they get all the benefits of IC and the person applying, if they don't know any better, are getting the shaft. Might as well be an employee so you get benefits then. What a deal! Is nobody honest in this profession anymore?

They are taking a HUGE risk - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If they get reported and are investigated by the IRS, the IC will get all back pay/employee benefits PLUS interest (for example, withholding taxes) due them for the misclassification and the company will be fined.
How far back can you go? - see msg.
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked as an IC for 2 companies and had to have set hours. When my mom was dying, I was given a hard time because I cut my hours until her passing which was only a few weeks.
ic - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
go to IRS.gov and read what the definition of an IC is...most of these companies have no idea. They should all be reported. Luckily I work for one now who knows the rules...

They can only allow you to work certain hours - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
if they are only needing coverage for certain hours, then yes they can tell you what hours to work. They cant fire you for not showing up, etc. They can say, you may contract to work between so and so hours. It is all of what is in the "Contract." They do not have to give you work. That is also up to the company as you are IC.

Courts just ruled that people who drive for Uber - are employees, not ICs. So - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder why that type of ruling hasn't been passed on MTSOs and other similar jobs yet.

A lot of the things Uber was doing wrong were very similar to MTSOs, too. Such as having "all hands on deck" times where they wanted all drivers on the job, then there wasn't enough work to go around, and although it made Uber as a whole seemed better because everyone needing a ride got one right away, the drivers lost out because they ended up making far less money in the long run. Sound familiar?

There was just another ruling in CA pertaining - to yoga instructors at a -

[ In Reply To ..]
certain gym or exercise company. Since the company told them how to perform their jobs and when, they were employees, not independent contractors. Although way overdue, I wouldn't be surprised if this ruling didn't happen to MTSO's soon, as well.

and they can ask you to pay a $300/yr administrative fee - noneya

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Transcription Jobs
Apr 11, 2013

Looking for a really great company for transcription from home.  Not very happy with current employer.  Who is the best company to work for?  Any recommendations? ...

Psychology Transcription Jobs
Sep 06, 2011

i urge u to inquire about doing transcription at social service agencies. they are overwhelmed with their paperwork. i work for a psychotherapist. he is extremely busy and tells me typing his own notes is one less thing he has to worry about. u can market yourself by telling them they can carry around a hand held dictator and dictate while they are in the car going to their next session. i pick up at the end of the week and finish by the end of the next week. it is a general transcription, few m ...

At Home Transcription Jobs
Aug 11, 2012

I am a medical transcriptionist with 26 years experience.  The company I currently work for (for the past 8 years) is phasing out long-distance teleworkers.  There are so many companies out there.  Can someone give me advice on which ones are the best to work for?  Your help is much appreciated.   ...

Are Transcription Jobs Going Down The Drain?
Oct 25, 2012

I work at home for the local hospital/clinic and have for the last 12 years doing transcription.  Now all of a sudden we switched to a new system and a lot of the doctors are doing voice recognition and we are doing more editing of reports than typing.  Also, I used to work a solid 8 hours a day from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  Now I have to get up at 4 a.m. to grab work till about 8 a.m., and then there is no work till around noon.  Even after that it is sporadic, hit and miss.&nbs ...

Medical Transcription Jobs
Aug 12, 2013

Does anyone know of any companies out there that are hiring IC MTs?  My one company is very slow and am looking for supplemental work. Thanks so much.  ...

Where Are All The Radiology Transcription Jobs?
Aug 26, 2013

It is just me or does it seems as if the transcription third party companies are focused more on acute care transcription than any other specialty. I have been a radiology transcriptionist for over 20 years. The company I worked for decided to eliminate 13 of us F/T transcriptionists since they converted to VR system and they kept a few aboard. Apparently the radiologists are being trained to edit their own reports. That being said, I'm searching high and low for a F/T position for a radiol ...

Get Medical Transcription Jobs Now .com
Dec 11, 2013

I have tried to click on the jobs on this web site to apply to them and when I click on the "Apply Now" it does not take me to the site. Does anyone know the answer to why this happens? I did not get the impression it is something you have to pay to belong to. Thanks for your help. ...

Medical Transcription Jobs Scams?
May 18, 2013

Does anyone know of medical transcription jobs scams?   Offering jobs, no contracts, HIPPA or other documentation required or at least not initially.....want SS# but does not need a 1099 signed?  six hour time difference...just checking if anyone knows or has experienced? ...

Just Started DQS7 Only Getting Transcription Jobs, No Speech Rec
Jun 19, 2012

Did I download something wrong, or am I hitting the jackpot and getting all transcription jobs?  This is an account I usually work on and these are usually speech rec jobs... ...

The Future Of Transcription In India? Think We'll Get Our Jobs Back?
Jan 29, 2013

Wouldn't it be great if we got our jobs back?? Hey, I can dream.... ...

Transcription Doctors Terminates 16 People Out Of Their Jobs And Shorts Pay.
May 17, 2012

Transcription Doctors terminates 16 people out of their jobs and shorts pay. Today, 16 MT/QA staff were terminated without notice and only when staff began to voice concern with complaints did an email get sent out.  The email briefly mentioned that termination was due to either not working enough hours or poor quality, though this author knows of people who have been shorted on their paychecks when checks were received today and questioned why.  It's not confirmed whether ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Has Anyone Noticed
May 10, 2010

that, on companies sites, they do not always put the LOCATION of the company and you have to search for it? I think that is odd. You would think that would be the first thing that they do. I find it strange. ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed...
Dec 07, 2010

...all the jobs listed on the Job Seeker's Board?  and then noticed ...all the MT resumes listed on the Job Wanted Board ???   What's up with this?  Why don't the MTSOs advertising for help just go directly to the Job Wanted Board since there are probably hundreds/thousands of us looking for work!  Why go to the trouble of advertising when those of us on the Job Wanted Board already have our skills and experience outlined for them and we state ...

I Never Noticed It Before But
Jan 18, 2011

I was just looking back through all my pay stubs from 2010 and MQ took out less than $5.00 in federal taxes. The same dollar amount is listed in the "year-to-date" column on EVERY SINGLE STUB.  There is never an amount in the current week column and the number never changes in the year to date column. WHAT?!?!? Is this an error or did they really not take out my taxes like they were supposed to?  They took out everything else: State, social security, etc.  Am I going to get a h ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed
Aug 22, 2013

On the sign-in page to Fiesa, in the green strip at the bottom is copyright Nuance Transcription Services India Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved.  hmmmmmm ...

Have You Noticed
Mar 06, 2014

has anyone else noticed that since the announcement of Imdex "merger" with TT that on the job seeker's board, there are now new notices of companies hiring such as Babbletype and Keystrokes that have not had hiring notices on that board? Just think that's a little unusual. ...

Hae You Noticed?
Sep 10, 2014

That QA/Fiesa only seems to find little errors?  I often wonder if the only errors that I make are a left/right discrepancy, date/age discrepancy, a, the, etc.  I have no idea who does my QA, but I'm wondering why they never find a big mistake, like a sound-alike drug or sound-alike instrument or disease.  I'm wondering if others have big mistakes found or are those who do our QA only able to find those kinds of errors - the kind we would find too if we went back and rel ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed This?
Oct 14, 2014

That VR seems to be getting worse in that it is constantly putting in a wrong number which is different from what is CLEARLY dictated.  This seems to happen more and more with dates and especially years.  Seems like they are trying to trip us up! ...

Has Anyone Else Noticed That Most Of The MT
Oct 24, 2014

job postings now are for IC's? Way to get around Obamacare. Best look up how the IRS defines IC now because a lot of these places are thinking they can tell you when you have to work and still claim you as IC with no benefits and low wages. What a deal! I feel like applying to a few just to set them straight. This career really sucks anymore. ...

About The 500+ LPH, Here Is What I Noticed In My POD-sm
Jan 21, 2015

Of the 80 people listed, only 10 had a 300+ line count.  Of those 10, 4 had a high (highlighted in red) QA submission score.  The highest line count was 415 with a 24% QA submission score. The average seemed to be between the minimum of 150 and about 250ish.   Remember when ASR started and we were told eventually we could do TWICE as much as straight typing and thus the reason for the cpl pay cut!  So we all should be at 300+ by now dont you think??!! ...

Have You Noticed...
Jun 04, 2015

the new MModal ad for PT transcriptionist?  The text of the job description is so long it won't entirely fit an iPad screen.   Really? dhere to these innumerable job responsibilities, and you too can make minimum wage.  Boy, I am chomping at the bit for that job. Sorry, folks.  I have crossed over from sarcasm to cynicism with this company.  The plan is to be gone within a month. ...

Anybody Noticed That Serious Conversations Are
Mar 24, 2010

All that is left on here is small talk ... minor complaints...amusing observations .. nothing of any consequence though.  Monitor's doing ? New policy ? ...

They Finally Noticed
Apr 29, 2010

My CCM finally called and left a message saying I hadn't been logging on and she would have to process termination if I didn't get in touch with her. "A phone call would be nice," I think is how she worded it. I didn't call her back.  I just sent her an email and told her to go right ahead and process termination, that I didn't call because I didn't feel that the Q deserved the courtesy of a call when they treat their MTs like trash. So I am officially free.  ...

Has Anyone Noticed More Typing?
Jun 24, 2011

Not complaining,mind you, but what's going on.  I'm up to 10% transcription for this pay period.  Did they decide to cut back on the SR, were their complaints by doctors saying they liked it better when we typed?  LOL  just wondering if anyone has noticed it and/or knows why. ...

I Noticed If You Uncheck The Box That Says
Sep 11, 2010

"check document as you type," there is no delay while typing and there is no delay when moving the audio slider. ASR seems to run smoother also, like before 6.1.  I did kind of like the "check document as you type," but not worth how it slows everything down..I think too much for the program to handle. Now the only thing worth the upgrade to me, as well as the only new feature I use other than doctor lookup (which I am getting used to), is the auto numbering feature.  I just love ...

Just Something I Noticed About Name Search--sm
Oct 12, 2010

If it is taking a long time to do a name search, doctor or patient, I just stop and and do it again and it goes right to it.  This is the same for "accepting" patient visit. ...

Something Interesting I Noticed.....
Jun 15, 2011

I work in-house at a clinic.  When I'm reading over reports from the transcription service, I noticed there are no periods after "Mr.," "Dr.," and so forth.  The transcriptionists type them as Dr, Mr, Mrs, etc.  Is this yet another way to cheat the MTs out of keystrokes?  If so, that's pretty pathetic. ...

A VR Pattern I've Noticed: (s/m)
Jul 15, 2011

While wondering why VR doesn't seem to be getting any better, I've started noticing a pattern while I work that might have at least something to do with it: I have several accounts, and switch around all day.  Usually there are a lot of corrections per line with my company's VR system.  I wonder why it makes the same dumb mistakes over and over again. However, I've begun to notice that if I've been sent a lot of VR-editing work by the same doctor, a ...

This Is What I Have Noticed The Last Few Days
Aug 31, 2011

I usually start my shift at noon but have been noticing the work is coming in later in the day the last few days.  I am wondering if there have been issues with transferring the audio files due to all the power outages in the Eastern U.S.  I agree the amount of work has been less too.  I think things will pick up but it may take some time.  I really feel for all the people out East who lost so much of their homes and livelihood.  Water does create a hell of a lot of dama ...