A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

An MT Supervisor Told Me (Regarding MTs Who Aren't Doing Well) - Makes Sense

Posted: Mar 12, 2010

An MT supervisor told me that when they aren't happy with an MT's work because they aren't following instructions or are getting sloppy, they just take them off the schedule. Sometimes they do it gradually and other times leave them with little or no work. They keep the work for the MTs who are doing the best job with the least fuss. Interesting.

Makes sense to me too; however, why not just - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
let them go if they are not performing up to standard?? There are too many good MTs out there to continue to employ those who do not know what they are doing.

Maybe because they don't want to hear them scream! LOL - Just kidding sort of

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

A lot of employers do it that way. - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
It prevents any type of unemployment claim. Retail stores are notorious for tactics like this. If they have someone who is sub par, their hours just get fewer and fewer, and eventually they'll be broke and have to go find another job. This way they quit and the employer doesn't have to deal with an unemployment claim, or if they don't quit, then at least they're not at work that much during the week to muck things up.

If thats true, why are so many good ones either quitting, - or living at the poverty line?

[ In Reply To ..]
Huh?

I agree and would like to know why as well. also... - notinhighschoolanymoretoto

[ In Reply To ..]
There are a lot of people in charge that get carried away with the power of playing God, pulling puppet strings.
The ones that do NOT use it wisely, that is. As in unethical.

So, instead of having a discussion, or developing/following some type of disciplinary protocol - just mess with them behind their backs? Games.

And just what are you breeding with this type of behavior? that's not a question, but food for thought.

28 years, last 10 - same company, with respect. Love my team, my company, my job. That's what we breed, that what hits the accounts every day.

I'll agree with you that there are and always have been too many "Power Hungry" peopl - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

And You Know They Are Good Because They Say They Are? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I think it's both skills and attitude that are eliminating some MTs from the work schedule - It is a matter of business

[ In Reply To ..]
It's about time.

oh my God...listen to you people. I lived to see the day the - progession ADMITS it is a toilet. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
remind me to flush.

You can see examples of that on the New MT Board with communication skills like - Duh and Blah

[ In Reply To ..]
If that's where some of our MTs are emotionally, I think we can see one part of the problem. Imagine what they are lie on the job when a supervisor critiques their work or asks them to do something differently. I can hear it now: "Well, like duh, blah, blah, blah, I'm right and you're wrong. So there. What makes you think you know so much?"

Cream rises - Ima MT

[ In Reply To ..]
This is actually how I'd hoped things would pan out after spending at least the last decade hearing MTs complain about having to follow specs or do things like "that" because they felt it was stupid and does putting in a wrong date really change patient care, etc.

Time to finally, excuse the gender-based analogy-- separate the men from the boys.

I agree. For too long everyone wanted to be an MT even when they weren't qualified - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's a good thing that there is separation now between those who aren't qualified but don't know they aren't qualified and those who are. I've seen some awful work done by people who didn't know what they didn't know.

That's not to say that there aren't problems in the MT industry just as there are in other kinds of business, but this is one good thing coming out of the economic crisis. Another thing will be some of the companies that have hired MTs that weren't qualified. I expect that to happen next, don't you? That won't be a bad thing either.

Cream rises - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes I agree with everything that has been said here. I am sure that in time those who take this job seriously and remain dedicated will have employment, those who don't will be gone.
Wow! This is soooo deep thinking, Sophocles might have said that! - LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
If the description of poor MT fits, it would be a great time to improve your skills - Consider it a wakeup call
[ In Reply To ..]
Not talking about any specific poster, but anyone who believes they are falling through the cracks because of poor skills.
LOL, did you take my post seriously? I was ridiculing! - I cannot believe this
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Sophocles - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
It would be expecting a lot for everyone to express themselves as eloquently as you.

Sounds very passive aggressive. NM - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

I agree, and nothing new in the OP's comment - where is the smartness?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Smartness? LOL. See my serious and non-sarcastic message - Techie

[ In Reply To ..]
My first reaction was, no wonder so many are having problems but not willing to take at least some of the responsibility for themselves.

Seriously and not sarcastically though, this isn't a career for everyone. If a person finds that it isn't working for them, the very wise thing would be to do something else.
not about the MTs ability, this is about how that is dealt with by the MTSO - which is not professional at all
[ In Reply To ..]
In fact - tells me everything I need to know about the MTSO in both business and personal arenas.

Not exactly the most forthright approach - IMHO

[ In Reply To ..]
I have deliberately limited an MT's work availability because I wanted her to focus on the quality of her work rather than the quantity, but I was always up front with her about it, and lifted the restriction as soon as she made the necessary changes in her work habits, which rarely took more than a few days. On a couple of occasions, the changes sadly weren't forthcoming and I had to let them go, but I didn't play games with people trying to get them to quit. Rather a nasty way to treat people - even if they aren't working out satisfactorily.

That sounds fair to me. Not all supervisors are insensitive or mean - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Supervisor At Hospital Told Me
Jan 23, 2010

before editing and she spends her day editing the editors. That sounds cost effective! ...

Why Are We Told This Is Slow Time Of Year? MTSO Told Me This
Dec 09, 2010

make up all late reports, etc for the end of the year.  At my MTSO it is anything but slow, Getting lots of reports from Sept and Oct. ...

What Successful MTs Are Saying To Each Other When You Aren't Around
Jun 28, 2012

The "When You Aren't Around" part is just to get your attention. I know that many of you are also successful MTs. There are many others who believe they are and will argue until the cows come home to convince us that they are, when they aren't. Most successful MTs have seen the ones I'm talking about. I've been a successful MT for years. Throughout the years I've known a lot of MTs, some managing to get jobs and somehow keep them because of connections or friendships, o ...

So If Demographics Aren't Important Enough For The
Jan 20, 2010

Why are we getting multiple e-mails about spending extra time on them because HIPAA is so important these days?    ...

Buch Of Vipers Aren't We
Aug 23, 2010

I am sooo sick and tired of the "snping and snarking" on this board and it is ALL over - I  have been an MT for 30+ years and seen this profession "dowm the crapper".  I live in Miami  -- AVERAGE rent for a one bedroom @1200.  Can I make it, can I get food stamps  -NO but I am supporting the "illegals who can in this country.  America  - I am sick and tired of "I  CANT LIVE OF LEFTOVERS because of hubby or S/O  -- guess what, having to move, and I mak ...

Hope There Aren't Any San Fran MT's Out There!
Nov 05, 2014

San Francisco voters approved a bill to raise the minimum wage to $15 yesterday!  I hope no Nuance MT's live there (HA! Like a Nuance MT could afford to live in the most expensive city in the US).  At the current line rates for editing, they'd have to produce over 375 LPH to not have make-up-pay!  I don't know for certain that Nuance has a federal contract, but assuming they do for their Dragon software (or speech recognition software, period), I wonder wonder if N ...

All The Things We Do That Aren't Production
Dec 08, 2014

Here's the thing that gets me.  We have a punch in for production or continuing education, but what about all the general stuff we do that we either have to do on our own time, or if we do punch in, it will go against our production rate.  And it may be that it is just a small amount of time everyday, but the fact is the salary people don't have to read their emails or maintain their computer systems on their own time.  We have our Quality person who is maintaining a boo ...

MTs Aren't Eligible For Choice Plus And Can Only Get The HRA Plan?
Oct 08, 2010

Wow, it doesnt' say on the website that MTs aren't eligible for Choice Plus and can only get the HRA plan.  What a huge disappointment to work 90 days and find that out.  I am super bummed...     ...

Why Aren't The Archives In Date Order?
Oct 31, 2011

Looking through archives here for info on a couple of companies, who uses ChartNet and so forth... there is NO order to the way posts are listed.  Why is that?  It should be an easy fix and soooooooooo helpful! ...

Can You Succeed In Coding If You Aren't Good At MT
Apr 05, 2012

I'm very interested in learning new things. I have a certificate in cosmetology, an associate degree in business admin/microcomputers (worthless now because I learn pre-windows), had a real estate license (couldn't make money in my area), a dental assitant diploma (can no longer work in the field due to a latex allergy and a hip replacement due to a tumor), and a MT certiificate. All the other fields academically I did VERY well at but MT was a struggle for me because I could never dev ...

How Would You Explain Why You Aren't Working At This Time?
Aug 30, 2013

I was terminated in March and now I cannot find a job. I have been working for 31 years, and this past account was a disaster. (I worked for 2 years at this company but moved to another account and had to learn so many, many things, and one of the docs were so bad, that when I asked for help I instead got a critical error. The TSM's seemed to not like me and would not help me learn VR (because my immediate supervisor went on leave of absence). So I ran out of work after 5 hours every day a ...

We're In The Driver's Seat, So Why Aren't We Driving?
May 21, 2015

A national work stoppage of 2 days would be sufficient to arrest the downward spiral and bring MTSOs to a bargaining position.  So, why hasn't it happened? I guarantee you that none of the horrible consequences that you might believe would happen would occur.   ...

Aren't Bonuses Supposed To Be Paid Out Tomorrow?
Jul 30, 2013

Aren't bonuses supposed to be paid out tomorrow?  I went on to ADP because normally your check that is coming will show up a day or two in advance and there is nothing there so I guess that means no bonus.  I got one last time and I thought this will probably the last one I ever get with this company due to the new errors that I have all of a sudden started making after 15 years of typing.  ...

Dictator Ranting About How His Stats Aren't Typed
Nov 30, 2013

I just had a dictator rant to me about how none of his stat reports are being typed in an urgent fashion. The thing is, he only dictates that they are stat reports, saying "this is a priority report" on his dictations, but never marks the reports themselves as stats so they end up being distributed as regular dictations. It looks like someone wasn't paying attention in training. He must think we all have telepathy and know what is dictated in a report before even getting them. ...

Aren't Any Companies Hiring Part-time? Frustrated!
Nov 09, 2009

I have applied at so many of these companies, taken and apparently passed the tests, filled out extensive interview forms, only to have them get back to me with "we don't have any part-time positions at this time". This is getting old and I am really getting frustrated. ...

Landmark Frustrations - Aren't Allowed To Work On My Account Due To Low Volume
Feb 08, 2013

Once again, we aren't allowed to work on my account due to low volume.  This is about the fifth time in the past week.  I've only been with Landmark for 6 or 7 months and I'm really starting to regret taking a position there.  It was great for the first few months, but then the work started disappearing.  Lucikly, I have a second interview next week with another company.  If I get hired, I'll probably just keep Landmark as a side job, because that's really all it� ...

What Do You Do When You Can't Get A Supervisor
Mar 31, 2010

to respond to e-mails or phone calls?  I have never had a supervisor before that just wouldn't respond and I don't know what to do.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Changes-Changes--A New Supervisor, What Next?
Sep 13, 2010

Changes-Changes--A new supervisor, waht next? ...

Per Supervisor
Nov 03, 2014

Keep checking and keep track of down time.  Get the system back up so we can work.  PLEASE ...

What Would You Do About A Supervisor
Jan 11, 2015

who totally ignores your high priority emals for weeks and doesn't deem you important enough even to send you a a quick answer? What kind of a place or mentality would do that? Makes me feel like I'm just a little pissant. ...

Supervisor Suddenly MIA?
Aug 23, 2010

Try Google.  Amazing what you find. ...

DTS/Transend Supervisor/TL Both Not Available
Jun 01, 2011

I haven't worked for DTS long, but knew Transcend was taking over and so far that looks good.  I have had problems getting straight answers from DTS supervisor since hired, like when the supervisor, TL, and QA people were on duty.  The nice recuiter told me she would get me a list without my asking, but forwarded the request to my boss who said she didn't know why I needed this information.  Really?  Isn't this the first information eve ...

Badgering Supervisor
Jul 26, 2011

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do about a supervisor who always says, "It is a privilege to work at home".  She threatened me that I might have to come in-house to work because I complained about my keyboard no longer being compatible with the new computers.  I have to work weekends in-house on a rotating schedule.  I also said it is difficult to get readjusted when you go in house because the work station is different.  I should have never complained because now she s ...

Supervisor Leaving
Jan 16, 2013

Thank God the anal, basket case, nutjob supervisor I have is leaving.  No more phone calls every time I go to the bathroom.  Hope I don't get something worse than her. ...

Who Can I Contact Above My Supervisor?
Jan 18, 2013

Who can I contact above my supervisor? I cannot get any kind of response from her about anything. Overnight, my work load dropped by more than half. Literally, overnight. ...

E-mail From Supervisor
Feb 19, 2013

Anybody else get the e-mail message regarding NJA and changing schedule?  What are your thoughts? wondering if seniority will be taken into account?  don't know why they want us all on second and third as they keep running out of work as well. wish they would let us in on what is going on and let us be part of the solution instead of acting like we are the problem. Sitting here becoming more and more stressed.  Family is sick and tired of me being depressed/stressed over w ...

It Really Makes Me Mad When My Supervisor
May 09, 2014

calls for overtime because she is afraid jobs will go out of tat over the weekend and when I get on to work, I have no work on my usual 10 accounts and get work from accounts I have never heard of before!   What a way to help my line count and quality ...

Any Synernet MTs Know Who The New Supervisor
Jul 31, 2014

I missed the conference call, which by the way was limited to the first what...25. Don't know if it was mentioned in that call or not since the ones who were left out are never updated on what was said in the meeting. Do we e-mail the helpdesk now for supervisory questions? ...

They Just Fired The Best Supervisor KF
Sep 03, 2014

KF -- best supervisor -- worked harder than anyone I have ever worked with.  Actually gave a damn about her job, the hospitals, the company, the MTs, and worked what seemed like 24/7 to prove it.  I wish I could afford to quit in solidarity.  What a truly awful place this is to work for. ...

Coding Supervisor
Sep 22, 2014

Over on the job seekers' board, there is a posting for a coding supervisor.  If you are interested in coding, it is worth taking a look.  The requirements are typical and it only requires 2 years of experience.   ...