A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

2009 earnings - alisa

Posted: Feb 16, 2010

Anyone care to share 2009 earnings? Curious as to what MTs make nowadays yearly.

2009 earning - I will share

[ In Reply To ..]
2009 was $17,699 and 2008 was $28,400, almost 12K difference and 25K less since 2005. And I have 35 years experienc and now work for a smaller MTSO after I left MQ in 2008 because my pay was going down $800 a month.

This really sucks, eh?

$40 K - I work two jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
Just over $40,000 for 2009, working two jobs.

A bit over $30K - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Working about 36 hours a week at one job, acute care, 5 years experience. This is down from my best year, 2007, when I made $40K working 40 hours a week while at Spheris, before they totally went down the tank and I left.

35+K - earnings 2009

[ In Reply To ..]
Only part-time work April through July Should be over $45K for full and part time work this year.

Earnings - KP

[ In Reply To ..]
Where are you all working that you make so much?? I was working part time and wasn't even averaging minimum wage between no work and voice recognition. I would love to earn 40 a year, any suggestions????

Earnings - itype2

[ In Reply To ..]
39K working on site for a multispecialty clinic.

About 49K - sgill

[ In Reply To ..]
I had to pay a few people. My Gross was 53. My actual was about 49K. But I lost two of my good accounts in the last two months so it's not going to be as good this year. Last year was my 6th year and highest earning year. At least I had a good run. This EMR/EHR is really wiping us out.

51K - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
Was 51K, went down to 43K, then down to 34K working full-time. Same company.

62K - 2 JOBS - sssss

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the least I have made in 8 years - 2006 and 2007 were my best at 113K - 2 jobs - 33+ years

Why $ dropping within same company? - Moolah?

[ In Reply To ..]
Just wondering what is different if you are still with the same company.

BTW, I made about $18,000 ... ugh.

$44K, full time at home for a hospital, 25 years experience - AzRain

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

2009 pay - alpine

[ In Reply To ..]
Come on, folks. Where are the figures we can relate to?? Since it is all anonymous here, why don't we share what our lines rates are ALONG with what we made because this is just downright depressing. LOL MT's with only 5 years' experience are bringing in $40k a year??! That is at what rate?? On the same account the whole time? Well, that can get too complicated.

Okay, here is my reality. In 2009, I made approximately $14k. I have 6 years' experience. This year was in acute care with no normals at a line rate of 0.085 cpl. I had to take a fair amount of time off due to health, but even doing that full-time (1000 lines per day), is only $20k per year.

reality - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Highest ever was $40K with 2 YEARS experience back in 1999. No, that is not a typo. That's called FT with consistent accounts and dictators using many expanders and client normals. Fast forward through 4 mergers within the same company now 10 years later, now PT 20 hours a week with long-time primary/secondary gone to India, 90% VR and NJA. Made $9K in 2009.

$48K, full-time emp, 14 years experience - wk4national

[ In Reply To ..]
My pay went down this year by about 7K.

Line rate vs other factors - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that line rate is not one of the most important issues here. I posted above that I made $40K in 2007 and $30K in 2009. I was paid the same line rate in both situations. The big difference is strictly in the nature of the accounts. In the year I made $40K I was able to create a lot of my own normals and really hike my line rate by doing that. Can't do that with my current job to the same extent, many more docs to transcribe and more variable reports. Also, I wonder how many of these high earners are doing VR, which for most MTs will pull earnings down. I do straight transcription only. I would not be able to make a decent wage doing VR, so I avoid it like the plague and have never done it.
It is possible to do even better with VR. - Depends on the circumstances
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do it, but it's possible to do make even more money with VR if you have the right job and circumstances.
All things are possible - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
But the general consensus is that VR as it is today is a losing proposition for most MTs. I prefer to avoid it, as I am a very fast transcriptionist and can make good money on the actual typing. I also enjoy straight transcription, and do not think I would enjoy VR. That makes the choice simple for me.

Didn't make much - Part-timer

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I don't think people are being honest and I don't understand that. For me in 2009, I was a part-time employee working around 30 hours per week, all VR at 4 cpl (on Escription) and I made just under 14K.
Being honest here - work4national
[ In Reply To ..]
Being extremely honest, I made 48,000 in 2009. Like I said it went down roughly $7K in the past year. This year is off to a good start, so hopefully I will get back to usual. I make 10.5 a line and average $950 or more a week.
being honest here 2 - always working
[ In Reply To ..]
I work a full-time job and a part-time job. I also make 10.5 cpl for a small MTSO. My private account pays $3 per report, about 75 per week. My pay for 2010 will be in $40-plus depending on how much, if any, time off I take...could be above $45K if I take none. I feel no need to lie and wonder why someone would even think that.

Wow, you are all doing quite well, I barely broke $20K - xm - Not Rich

[ In Reply To ..]
just added my 2 MT jobs up, $20593.59 plus another $ 2150 from another very PT job outside the home that I use to pay my taxes. I have the potential this year though to get that to about $26K with MT if I really buckle down and work my butt off. Maybe one day I will crack $30K, that would be quite nice.

$23K before taxes. With 35 years' experience. It sucks. - :(

[ In Reply To ..]

I made around $23,000. - me

[ In Reply To ..]
hoping to make more this year.

I know this is suppose to be discouraging but to me it's not - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a student right now at MTEC. For my situation, I haven't seen any numbers on here that I would be displeased with as a wage. Yes some are lower but some are PT. I do understand that the wages today are much lower than the past though.

Even hospital jobs like physical therapy etc are lower than in the past - In this economy

[ In Reply To ..]
I just heard about someone who isn't a medical transcriptionist but works in a hospital doing patient care, I can't remember exactly what, and got his wages cut. I don't think it was PT, but I know it was something I thought was in demand. These are tough times.

Similar Messages:

What Was Your Top Earnings At MQ
Jan 29, 2010

I topped out at 42,000.  I know people who made between 50 n 60k at one point.  I think they received the biggest hit with the micromanagement and the ASR.  Just wondering what the average is. ...

MT's, What's Your Take On The BLS Earnings Info?
Jul 01, 2011

Hi all.  I've been an MT for 3 years working from home and I fall into the lowest 10% of wage earners category on the BLS website.  I'd like to know if I am just an unfortunate person or if this is the common experience for MTs and the BLS is just wrong.  I'd love to know what category the rest of you guys fall into and how long you've  been an MT and of course if you all work from home too.  Thanks! ...

Same Earnings Over Several Days.
May 02, 2012

Think I'm getting really paranoid now.  In checking my production over the last 4 days, I noted that I earned the same amount within a dollar each day for 8 hours work, despite having differention dictators and work type combinations  over those 4 days. Just seems very odd to me.  Two days, most work was from account. Other days, mixture of several accounts. Usually, I would vary a bit from day to day.  Anyone noticing the same? ...

So Did Everyone Triple Their Earnings This Week Under The
Dec 31, 2014

I didn't. I dropped $75 than I normally would have made. That's it for me, I'm out of here ASAP. ...

Last Paycheck Of 2009
Dec 24, 2009

Nothing like getting the last paycheck of the year the day before Christmas.  My annual income is LESS than half of last year.  Thanks, Kumar, for the coal in my stocking. ...

New KLAS MTSO Report For 2009
Dec 09, 2009

KLAS announced today that the 2009 MTSO report has been published. This report evaluates the changing landscape of medical transcription vendors. ...

Advance Magazine 2009 Salary Survey
Dec 17, 2009

It contains some very interesting information and is well worth the read. Just for instance, approximately 35% of MT respondents reported earning $35K or above. and 23.8% report $0 to 20K. Home workers across the board reportedly made slightly more than facility workers. Worth noting is wage levels for coders and cancer registrars since our field may well evolve to include both coding and data abstraction duties, as well as the issue of credentialing. (BTW, my company, ...

Any Info On Transtech (Texas), Cant Find Anything Newer Than 2009.
May 26, 2011

Archives are only to 2009, cant find anything newer. Sounded good back then, how are they now? ...

Cannot Link Instant Text Pro V To BeyonText (word 2009)
Aug 10, 2011

I am having problems with Instant Text linking to my word program.  I just started w Transcend and they use Beyond Text as their wp.  I am using the trial version of IT Pro V and cannot get it to link.  The red light will not go off and when i press on the up arrow to link the program nothing happens.  I thought it might be b/c the same command to link is also a command in BT but the arrow wont even work.  Help!  If I cannot even link the program how can I use it! I ...

MedQuist Reports Third Quarter 2009 PROFITS --Brags About Workforce Reductions
Nov 10, 2009

EVERYONE PLEASE READ THIS IMMEDIATELY!! http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-reports-third-quarter-2009-results-69596867.html From article: Net income for the third quarter of 2009 was $9.7 million or $0.26 per diluted share compared to a loss of $5.8 million and $0.15 per diluted share in the prior comparable period year. This improvement was the result of multiple programs designed to increase productivity, and decrease cost of revenues. Research and development costs decr ...