A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AAPC 2012 Salary Survey Results - carjjen

Posted: Nov 05, 2012

I am a member of AAPC and just received and reviewed AAPC's 2012 Salary Survey Results. You must be a member to read the survey. Because of the alarming wage decline as a medical transcriptionist, I decided to become certified as a coder and AAPC certification can be achieved sooner than AHIMA certification. I took AAPC's online course in February, achieved the CPC-H certification in September and have an apprentice designation. I am now searching for employment. According to the AAPC survey, there is an upward trend towards facility employment (which may be a reflection of providers' decision to sell their practices to facilities). The survey numbers consist of AAPC respondents who live in all 50 states and work in various places; small, medium or large group practices, hospital inpatient, or hospital outpatient facilities. The survey does not indicate how many respondents there were but they consisted of coders, billers, practice managers, auditors and educators. There are 120,000 AAPC members. Keep in mind that the recession has affected all industries but it was quite discouraging to see on the AAPC survey results that there is a 23.41% unemployment rate for apprentice coders. Actually, all AAPC survey results have percentages that seem inconsistent and there isn't a salary figure for certified versus noncertified coders but 54% of employers today require certification. According to the AAPC survey table, medium group practice coders make the most, with solo practice, hospital outpatient, large group practice and inpatient coders making less, in that order. Isn't hospital inpatient hospital the most difficult coding? How could a CPC be an inpatient coder? One definitely needs experience to achieve a good salary and it takes 10 years to earn the survey's average salary. The salaries for beginning coders have not changed much in five years, while those with significant experience are seeing larger increases. A table in the survey indicates that the unemployment rate for AHIMA- credentialed coders is higher than the unemployment rate for CPCs (but still well below the national average of 8 percent). I have read elsewhere that the CCS credential is preferred and would make a job easier to find, compared to the CPC credential. I am hoping with my associate's degree and decades of anatomy, physiology, medicine and procedure terminology experience that I can negotiate a higher salary, but the survey results were an eye opener for me. I'm not at all dismayed or regret having become CPC-H-A certified but it seems it is going to be very difficult to find a job soon. Even if I found a job as a receptionist or coding assistant, that would not remove my apprentice designation.

I have a dumb question - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You said there is an "upward trend towards facility employment." What do you mean by "facility employment"?

Facilities such as - carjjen

[ In Reply To ..]
Facilities such as outpatient Ambulatory Surgical Centers, hospital outpatient billing and coding departments or outpatient setting (emergency department visits, outpatient clinic visits, same day surgeries, diagnostic testing (radiology and laboratory) and outpatient therapies (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and chemotherapy)

Thank you! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Are you working as a coder now? - Aj

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I'm with you - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm expecting to be certified soon and out there looking for my first coding job. Job listings in my area are not encouraging, requiring 3 to 5 years. You said you were certified in September. Have you gotten an interview or any nibble of a job yet? What to expect? I am getting nervous, needing to find work before the end of January, not sure how much longer I can hold out being an MT. Reception is out for me, although I did it before and would love to do it again, but I'm not bilingual. Will take anything I can get really just to get my foot in the door, there just are not any of those kinds of jobs at the hospitals right now. I will keep looking, studying, hoping things get better for all of us.

Just to add - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I signed up for the CPC exam 2-1/2 months before it was scheduled and out of 30 seats, there were only 5 left at the time I signed up. So there will be 30 people taking the test, 29 other potential CPC's looking for the same jobs I am. I know we all have different backgrounds, experiences, etc., but I know they will be my competition with so few jobs to be had.

I was also looking around at the salaries today - Coding student

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to say it was an eye opener! I saw some coding jobs for as low as $13/hour, never mind the years of experience they require. I also have an Associate's Degree and decades of A&P, etc., but it still worries me a bit.

After all that researching, I decided the best thing for me to do right now is get through school and then I will go from there. I have way too much on my plate right now with working and studying to spend much time worrying about a job down the road. I'm sure it will be in the back of my head but, like I said, I think I will continue to concentrate on my studying.

Congratulations on your CPC-H-A and good luck in your job search!

Consider this - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Think outside the box when looking for coding jobs as there are other options. You may be able to get a job as an abstractor; you may not do any actual coding but you could do chart review and analysis (I'm a new coder and that is what I am doing for my first job). You might be able to work in compliance or health informatics, quite a few opportunites are opening up for people with knowledge of EMR data bases. Other options might be an HIT clerk or a combo job in a physician's office where you can do multiple things. I know it is difficult to find a coding job without experience, I went through the same thing in my job search in regard to experience requirements even with a certification but was happy to find something in the general arena. Some facilities also have internships and maybe that could be something to look into. With your Associates Degree hopefully you'll have no trouble. Also remember that the salary for your first job may be lower than what you had hoped for but you can work your way up the ladder, it's rare to be paid top dollar for anyone starting out in a new field. Good luck with school, don't give up!

Similar Messages:

Nuance - Q4 2012 Results...BARF
Nov 20, 2012

See below for what Nuance did for 4th Quarter 2012. - it is very involved - but - at the top of page two they state they expect revenue from Healthcare to be 1 BILLION in 2013 - Then on page 3 in the Question/Answer section Paul Ricci Chief Exe Officer states: " It has been and continues to be our strategy to diminish the amount of labor contribution even as we have acquired some firms with large labor populations.  Our goal over time is to get greater leverage out of that labor contr ...

Let's All Take The Salary Survey!
Sep 23, 2014

Help us help you?!!! http://emedia.advanceweb.com/HM?a=FtX7Cqsc3_Ni8SA9MKJcRXvnGHxKLJ2w-gjtS5kGaNU60bBhOG5mpqVsje_HhdD-fUrq ...

Just Saw A Salary Survey
Mar 22, 2015

On the Advance for HIM web site there is a salary survey from 2014. On the graph of average salaries, MTs were the lowest (even below billers) with average salary of just over 29,000. Coders made over 49,000. Pretty interesting ...

AHIMA Salary Survey
Mar 29, 2015

See the AHIMA page below for a link to their 2012 salary survey, the latest one.  It includes coding salaries.  The national average was 49,222.   Their careers map is also on that page.  Very helpful so you can see where you can go from coding.     ...

Survey - Where Exactly Are The Results
Jan 03, 2012

So . . . uh . . . where exactly are the results of the survey?  LOL ...

Survey Results Are In!
Feb 06, 2012

Basically, it says...............NADA ...

Survey Results Are In
Feb 20, 2013

corporate speak gobbledy gook. Nada nada nada ...

SURVEY: Name Your Coding School, And If You Passed The AAPC Or AHIMA Exams!!
May 09, 2010

this may help so many of us. Name your school that you got your coding education from.   Name which organization you sat for certification exam and if you passed OR how many times it took you to pass!   Thanks ...

ADVANCE 2013 Salary Survey
Oct 17, 2013

The ADVANCE Salary Survey is available to participate in and includes asking salary information about medical transcriptionists. Link is below to participate.   ...

Advance Magazine 2009 Salary Survey
Dec 17, 2009

It contains some very interesting information and is well worth the read. Just for instance, approximately 35% of MT respondents reported earning $35K or above. and 23.8% report $0 to 20K. Home workers across the board reportedly made slightly more than facility workers. Worth noting is wage levels for coders and cancer registrars since our field may well evolve to include both coding and data abstraction duties, as well as the issue of credentialing. (BTW, my company, ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Informatics Salary Versus Coder Salary
Jan 15, 2013

Hello Everybody.  First, let me say I have gotten a lot of good advice from this board in the past few years.  I have been encouraged to go back to school, am currently enrolled in Andrews for coding, and am looking to the future to obtain a degree to further advance myself in the field. I am very strongly considering WGU's Informatics course. I think this will be a good fit for me, especially considering this program also includes many IT certifications and I have always been ...

WOW Just Got My W2 For 2012
Jan 17, 2013

Can anybody cheer me up. This is so disgusting I have just decided to take early Social Security retirement because my pay is soooo low, and the limit for 2013 to earn is $15,320. So I guess these disgusting pay rates are good for one thing. ...

Insurance...do I Have It For 06/01/12-06/30/2012
May 25, 2012

Been here 10+ yrs.  Did I miss something.  Our new insurance plan starts 07/01/12, but the plan I'm on seems to expire 05/31/12.  Ouch.  ...

Transcend W2's- Does Anyone Know If What Is The ADP For 2012 Is All We Need Or---sm
Jan 20, 2013

or will we be receiving an additional W2 from Nuance for that last payperiod that started on the 22nd?  Thanks.  ...

2012 Is The Year I Am Going To Stop Being An MT, But
Jan 06, 2012

if you were me, a 34-year-old single mother, would you go back to school to finish your LPN degree (one year left) or finish your HIT degree (one year left also) and become an RHIT?  Or maybe do both? ...

File Transfers 2012
Jun 13, 2012

Setting up a doc for digital with a Phillips 9600 or 9610 (not sure which way to go)...what is the current (2012) best method for file transfers....FTPs....cost effective ways...Dropbox?? or a service of some sort...Need to make this easy yet compliant....please help...any suggestions appreciated :) ...

Conference Call 10/15/2012
Oct 17, 2012

Maybe if MModal hired fewer employees from Microsoft they could afford to pay transcriptionist better and allow for cost of living raises.  I have been a transcriptionist for going on 30 years and this company is one of the reasons we can't make a living wage.  I am so tired of hearing the term "industry standard" because in the past when I worked with other companies and directly in-house I was paid more.  Just because it is the "industry standard" does not make it right. &n ...

Alphastaff Employer For 2012 On W2
Mar 02, 2013

How about that. No *paper* record of me ever being employed by Nuance Transcription Services. Are they hiding something? ...

Looking For Tax Software 2005-2012
Dec 06, 2013

I have a friend who has his own small business and was the victim of identity theft.  He now has to refile for the years of 2005-2012 and really cannot afford to pay a CPA for all those years and needs to purchase (at a great deal) TurboTax, TaxAct, or similar good quality software that is for home and business (with state preferred, but not 100% necessary).  I know he was looking online to find these, but I figured I'd ask here for him since a lot of US are self-employed and migh ...

AAPC
Apr 10, 2010

How good are their coding classes?  I am looking for a accredited place.   Are there any other good places? ...

Medical Costs To Raise 8.5% In 2012
May 20, 2011

Wonder how much more our wages will drop as medical costs continue to skyrocket out of control. ...

Anyone At Oracle? Read Posts From 2012...
Jul 21, 2012

Doesn't sound very good there either.  OMG are there any companies out there who respect their employees and pay a decent salary with no VR ?????????????? ...

Graduating October 30, 2012 Looking For Work
Oct 02, 2012

I will be finished with school at the end of this month. Does anyone hire recent grads? How can I get into the field if everyone wants to hire only those with experience? I could use some help on this. Please let me know if anyone has any advice. Thank you, ***** ...

Rates Per Line Or Minute In 2012
Oct 29, 2012

What is the current (2012) appropriate rate to charge for medication transcription services, either per line or per minute? ...

Rumor Earlier In 2012 That Transtech Was Going To
Jan 15, 2013

be acquired.  Did that ever happen?  Is it going to?  Already been through 2 acquisitions and don't want to do it again, so want to know Transtech status before possibly applying.  Any info?  Thanks ...

Nuance CEO Made $37 Million In 2012
Apr 14, 2013

President of Marketing made $7.58 million. CFO made $6.17 million. Executive VP of Corporate Strategy and Development made $2.52 million. Executive VP of Healthcare Division made $1.94 million.   WHY ARE YOU WASTING TIME READING THIS?  GET TO TYPING!!  THE EXECUTIVES NEED THEIR PAYCHECKS!!     ...

Clinical Coding Workout 2012 .... Help Please?
Mar 05, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm studying for practice as well as for an upcoming CCS Exam I have the 2012 book with answers but I'm getting a contradiction in answers between pgs. 274 & 357. for the same conditions. Both Behavioral Health sections. ** Case Studies from Inpatient Health Records (p 274) Behavioral Health Condition #7.26 It reads,  ".. a 26 y/o white male was admitted after being transferred  from the outpatient evaluation service with severe homicidal and suicidal i ...

AAPC Coding Course... SM
Nov 06, 2010

Has anyone taking the coding course through the AAPC?  I am thinking of taking the outpatient coding course.  It has to be good, right?  I mean they administer the tests for the certification, etc.  My choices right now are Andrews, Career Step, and AAPC and I really am leaning towards AAPC.  Just thought I would check in and see if anyone has any opinions on this course....  Thanks Guys!!! ...

AAPC Coding Course
Nov 12, 2010

I am an MT totally ready to move out of the house, off my 16-hour chair sitting for peanuts and on to the coding field.  I have researched for months, looked here for months, and came upon this website, as well.  Just seeing if anyone out there would recommend the course from AAPC?  Thanks a bunch for your input and advice!!  I don't want to waste my time/money or be scammed.. (: Happy Friday all! ...