A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ad ran in our local community Craig's list.... - Duchess

Posted: Mar 22, 2013

Am I right to think "they" don't know what an Independent Contractor is?  You can't tell someone what schedule to work if you are an IC?  Right?? 

REQUIREMENTS FOR INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR
1. Be located and perform all work within the USA.
2. You are an independent contractor providing transcription service to whomever wishes to contract with you, are familiar with IRS regulation regarding ICs, and meet those requirements/qualifications.
3. You will perform all the work you contract to do with us; no subcontracting is allowed.
4. You are able to follow directions, including those in this posting.
5. You type in excess of 60 wpm without word expansion software.
6. You will work (Pacific time zone):
6 p.m. Wednesday - 1 a.m. Thursday
6 p.m. Thursday - 1 a.m. Friday
6 p.m. Friday - 1 a.m. Saturday
6 p.m. Saturday - 1 a.m. Sunday
6 p.m. Sunday - 1 a.m. Monday
(Schedule may vary somewhat according to client needs.)

EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Equivalent of 5 years full-time experience in radiology or orthopedics transcription specifically. (This does not mean 5 years experience as part of a pool that included radiology, histories and physicals, and discharge summaries, for example.) Equivalent of 2 years full-time experience in whichever (radiology or orthopedics) you do not have 5 years experience in. Please be very specific in your reply so that we may fully understand what experience you have.
2. Familiarity with VPN, FTP, encrypted e-mail.
3. Familiarity with HIPAA and HITECH requirements.

incorrect - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Independent contractor does not mean you come and go as you please. It simply means you are not an employee. The company has every right to indicate what shifts they need covered. As an IC, you are free to take the job or not, but you don't get to tell the client when you work.

Really??? - Duchess

[ In Reply To ..]

Independent Contractor Definition
An independent contractor is a self-employed worker. The contractor is not an employee and does not enjoy several of the working benefits an employee receives, including worker's compensation benefits and the use of employer equipment. An independent contractor gains other benefits, including the ability to work with anyone he chooses and the ability to negotiate the parameters of a given job including working hours, pay and the conditions for satisfactorily completing the assignment. An independent contractor must pay his own taxes by making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS and by filing IRS Form 1099 at the end of the year.

Subcontractor Definition
A subcontractor is an independent contractor in all legal respects including tax obligations. An independent contractor becomes a subcontractor when she accepts a job working for another independent contractor who has a larger contract to complete a project. This is scene most often in a public works project swhere an independent contractor wins a bid to perform road improvements or remove trees. The independent contractor may farm part of the work out to a subcontractor for a variety of reasons, including the specialty or expertise of the subcontractor.

question marks: three - understanding: zero

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, IC affords one "the ability to negotiate the parameters of a given job including working hours, pay and the conditions for satisfactorily completing the assignment."

That does not translate to "even when the client tells you what their needs are, they somehow lose their rights to you and you get to tell them when you will work and what you get paid".

Don't be silly. You don't have to take the job if you don't want to. But a client has every right in the world to say:

We don't want an employee.
We need coverage from 7-3.
We can pay you $10/hr.

Do you really think that being an IC means you take a job, THEN you turn around and tell the client when you will work and how much you will be paid? Of course, you have the right to do that, but the client does not have to hire you. And if you take a job and commit to certain hours, the client has every right to let you go if you do not meet the commitment.

The ability to negotiate hours and wages does not mean the client rolls over and plays dead to each and every one of your preferences, for goodness sake.

IC is simply an employment type. Like a babysitter. You tell the babysitter: I need childcare from 7-3. I can pay you $10/hour. The babysitter can TELL you she doesn't prefer those hours or that wage, but you don't have to hire her.
IC - MEIC
[ In Reply To ..]
I work as an IC and it is a great company. She had some parameters and asked that we request time off, but we can work anytime day or evening, but need to work every day (if there is work). No weekends. We just acquired a new account and so hopefully we will have some more work and she is going to let the 5 MTs she has try to cover it and not overhire, which we all appreciate. The babysitting analogy was a good one. I think it depends on the type of accounts you have as well. I agree they want it both ways, but in today's job market they can and I guess the up side would be if they can provide you work, that's even better. You can always give it a try!
Okay, :) that helps...sm - Duchess
[ In Reply To ..]
trying to clear up muddy waters so to speak....:)

Thank you for the replies.

Similar Messages:

Just Got Our Brochure From Our Local Community College
Aug 22, 2013

While purusing the classes offered, looking for possibly a career change, lo and behold, no MT classes being offered any longer. Coding, yes.  CNA, yes. In home caregiver, yes. Nail tech, yes. .....  MT, no.  Thinking of real estate now as there is an upswing in that direction. ...

Apply At Local Universities And Community Colleges
Aug 01, 2012

Me again.  If you live anywhere near a university or community college, consider applying there for a job.  It will most likely be civil service, which means you will need to take a test to measure your skills, and then you will be ranked on the interview totem pole according to your test score and level of skills.  It's a fair process.  It doesn't matter who you know.  It only matters HOW MUCH you know.  At our local university, there are 2 clerical categ ...

I Applied For Financial Aid At My Local Community College Yesterday
Jun 22, 2012

I'm taking my first steps to get out of this field - I'm 48 years old, I've dedicated myself to Medquist/MModal for 16 years of my life and I am making less today than my 15-year-old son who just got his very first job.  In my lifetime, I never thought I would be 48 years old, on Food Stamps and barely making minimum wage in a field I gave nearly half my life to.  It is a complete insult. I've been going around and around in my head how to get out of this fiel ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Short Cut For List Punctuation In A Drug List? (Fluency)
Dec 06, 2014

Is there is quick way to add commas between items in a list? Of course, using Ctl K in front a word will change the punctuation, but it will also change a capitalized drug to lower case, and you will still have to get to the beginning of the next drug which will require 2 Ctl arrows and backspace. Ctl arrow takes you to the beginning of the next word, but you will have to backspace to put in the comma. Adding punctuation to lists is so time consuming! ...

Community
Feb 10, 2015

I hate that this is the only place I can sometimes find updates and/or latest news or latest goings on for MM.  There is absolutely NO, ZERO, ZILCH communication with MM anymore.  ...

My Community Tab Disappeared
May 25, 2012

The "My Community" tab disappeared.  Is there another way to get into mmodal e-mail? ...

With All Due Respect To The MT Community...
May 28, 2012

If any of you knew me in person you would know it is not in my nature to whine. But I am going to DO SO HERE... My wife is the MT in our family not me. Last Thursday the laptop she uses for work died. It was an old AcerVista laptop. So what is a person who makes a living on a computer do when the one he or she uses dies?? Common sense is you go get a new one right??  These companys you folks work for could not be more firmly entrenched in the tech world. Do these people realize just how d ...

Just Tried Email And The Community Page Is Gone! Nm
Nov 04, 2010

nm ...

Community College Vs. M-Tec/Andrews
Feb 11, 2011

Is it better to go with the tried-and-true Andrews or M-tec as opposed to a local community college that offers MT courses? I was thinking it would be better to stick with the former, but was intrigued by the fact that the local junior college seems to be promising "internships". I'm not 100 percent sure yet, as the informational meeting isn't until the beginning of March, but wondered what the prevailing wisdom might be on the subject. Thanks in advance for any info. ...

Nuance Community Page
Dec 04, 2011

We at WMX were purchased by Nuance and our Community Page doesn't seem to get updated now.  Is there something along this line for Nuance employees?  Or will we be told after we find out what pay/benefit adjustments will be made? ...

Community Health Systems
Jan 14, 2014

Does anyone currently work for Community Health Systems (CHS)? I have been offered an MT position and would like to get some feedback from anyone who works for them! ...

Community Health Is Back At It Again.....
Jan 20, 2014

Isn't this the company that is a scam?  They are back on mtjobs.... ...

Community College Program
Jan 18, 2015

I would like opinions on taking a coding program at a community college, then being properly prepared to become a successful coder and getting certified. Cost is important to me, which makes this an attractive option. What is the consensus about this? Thanks for your comments. ...

Webmedx-update Community Page
Sep 03, 2010

Have you seen the new message on Community Board at the top of the page, "Please look for the QA Communicaton and another company update within the next week."    Scares me and I am sure the rest of us still employed there.  So sorry for all those who were laid off. ...

Is Anyone Familiar With Everett Community College?
Apr 04, 2012

Ive heard many opinions on coding training at Andrews, Career step and community colleges. I have just come across EverettCC and their coding course is completely online (scheduled,not self-paced)and taught by teachers who are certified medical coders. Im just curious if anyone here has attended or heard about this school. ...

Pitiful Webmedx Community Page Announcement
Sep 01, 2010

What a bunch of nonsense.  They wait until well into their smoke and mirrors BS to say that they lost two accounts and had to let people go. Guaranteed they knew the accounts were gone a while ago--seen this with them before, and the decent thing would have been to warn people--but there seems to be no decency here any longer in how management conducts itself.  Question:   What is with all the new hires this summer who have been scrolling on the community page? ...

MTStars A Community Of US Medical Transcriptionists And Their Companies Who Worry About What Is Bein
May 21, 2013

My point having been made in 2 short weeks, I will no longer be hanging out on this board.  Nuance, in its attempts to hide its egregious activities with certain employees, has infiltrated this board and it is no longer truly a community of US medical transcriptionists, but has become what could more aptly be called, "A company opportunity to do damage control for all POTENTIAL new employees about what the former employees said when they quit."  The board can, however, still ser ...

Local Taxes
Feb 24, 2011

Did I miss something?  I noticed on my paystubs that Medquist/Ultipro is now taking off my local taxes.  Did we get an email about this?  I always had to estimate my local taxes before. ...

Local Anesthesia
Jan 24, 2012

Hi this is a mini op to remove mass on the left hand. He says Anesthesia: Dr. *** "s/l acinic" local with digital block. ...

Anesthesia - MAC With Local...?
Oct 05, 2012

Operative report for removal of a foreign body (wood) in the right ring finger. Anesthesia sentence is very unclear--dictator with an accent mumbling! "ANESTHESIA:  MAC with local [s/l vessel] with metacarpal block [s/l oxygen dioxygen]." Makes no sense. Block also slurrs into the following word which s/l oxygen. ...

Local Texans... Job.
Mar 27, 2013

Saw this ad on FlexJobs and am sharing with those that live in the area... Medical Transcription Clerk III  Agency: Dept of State Health Services  Part Time Regular/Temporary: Regular Job Location: 4615 ALAMEDA AVE City: EL PASO Contact: AccessHR Service Center Telephone: 888-894-4747 Salary Range: $940.88 - $1,364.25 Salary Group: A09 Shift: Days (First) Travel: 5% ...

Med Coding Local Chapters
Oct 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where to go to find local chapters for medical coders/billers?  I want to attend a Chamber of Commerce meeting and/or ask one of the med coder chapter members what the prospects are for someone like me :  25+ years MT, completed Andrews course, got certified and need a job w/o experience.  (I am still an MT, but seriously want to get out and move forward with medical coding).  I don't want to put all my efforts and hard-earned $$ into something that wo ...

Local Hospital Offer
Dec 28, 2011

In telling my woes to my mom about all the changes at the Web, she of course told others. So I received a call from my "local" hospital's transcription supervisor. They have just created two new positions they are looking to fill. The pay offered is 15.45 an hour plus 15% shift differential for anything after 2 pm. The insurance is awesome, significantly less than what I will be paying for a single policy and available after 30 days of employment. Paid time off of 21 days per year for ...

Local Area Switching To VR
Mar 13, 2012

I have always worked for local hospitals and doctor's offices.  I have never worked through a company, but with most of our local area switching to VR I am having to look to companies for work.  In our local area our transcriptionists usually are paid about 12 cents per line,  but I am noticing most companies pay is substantially lower as i saw an ad for Sten Tel paying only 5-6 cpl.   Could anyone tell me what the norm is for pay with companies?  Thanks for all help. ...

Anyone Local To Valhalla, NY? Med Sec Job At WMC Via Monster.
Jun 09, 2013

. ...

Just Quit A Local Company...
Jun 28, 2013

Quit my job today... I'm not going to say the name of this company but from the info I'm about to give you, you probably will guess it if you have had any experience with them. They watch you like a hawk. You are always feeling like they are watching you very closely - I mean everything you do. Lord help you if you download a very large straight typing report that is more than 30 minutes long and you take a break, you will be called out on it in a nasty email stating your starting time ...

Scribe Classified Ad For Local ER
Oct 14, 2013

I was looking at local job listings and the hospital here posted ad for medical scribe for the ER physicians. Requirements were ability to stand for long periods of time, good hearing, good typing speeds and must carry laptop style computer up to 12 hour shifts. All this for $8.50 per hour. Ridiculous! Ad has been running for almost a month now. I sure am not applying for that! ...

HELP! Getting Inquiries From Local MDs But I Have No Idea How To Respond.
Dec 09, 2009

Yes, I know we get lots of these questions every day but here's one I don't think has been touched on lately.  I was recently approached by an old employer about giving my information to another MD for transcription work. I told her that she can definitely give out my info if she new someone that needed transcription work done.  I didn't really think it would go anywhere, as that's the way it happens in this town, nothing ever comes to fruition. However, today I g ...

Just Spent An Hour Looking At Local Classified Ads.
Jul 31, 2010

I am such a good transcriptionist, but so very unqualified for anything else.  Even cashiers need "previous experience."  There was a housekeeping job at a local hospital and a "valet parking attendant."  Surely I can clean and park? ...