A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

With all due respect to the MT community... - Jklsr55

Posted: May 28, 2012

If any of you knew me in person you would know it is not in my nature to whine. But I am going to DO SO HERE...Laughing

My wife is the MT in our family not me. Last Thursday the laptop she uses for work died. It was an old AcerVista laptop. So what is a person who makes a living on a computer do when the one he or she uses dies?? Common sense is you go get a new one right?? 

These companys you folks work for could not be more firmly entrenched in the tech world. Do these people realize just how difficult it is to find systems that meet such antiquated requirements?? You say "go buy a used computer". You guys make a living with these machines!! A used computer is a huge gamble. This is your careers. When your equipment goes down why go spend money on replacement equipment that has already lived most of its life??? The fact that these companies refuse to spend the $$ to upgrade their platforms to meet even relitively current tech and systems is crazy.

I spent this whole weekend with a brand new Windows 7 laptop getting it to act like it is ten years old!! Thank God I was able to get Escription to work on a 64bit system!! It almost cost me my sanity.

I understand that tech is moving fast. And keeping up every year is not an option... But Word 2003?? IE 6?? Windows XP?? (I like XP...)... There has to be a better way...

My point is this... When you folks out in MT land have a massive computer failure and need new equipment it should not take these extreme efforts. Nor should the only alternative be purchasing old, used equipment. You make a living in the tech world. You should have the option of employing the best tech available today.

Jeff L

Billings, Montana

Agree with you 100%, but actually, - the new version of

[ In Reply To ..]
Editscript 9.120, does work with a 64 bit computer; I am using it as we speak. I saw your post on another board that your wife worked with Sten-Tel, which I thought went out of business years ago, so who knows how far behind they are.

Reply... - jklsr55

[ In Reply To ..]
How did you get Editscript to load on a 64bit system? I had to install XP in virtual mode to get it to run. I talked to the tech folks at Editscript on Saturday and they told me the software was created on the 32bit platform. 64bit is supposed to be backwards compatible but it was not in my case...
My wife just finished Career Step this spring. She has been with Sten Tel for 2 months... She likes it. Great hours... I just wished the pay was more given the year she spent training...

From the help menu on Editscript go to - Escription.com

[ In Reply To ..]
you need some kind of log in to access this, but new version can be downloaded. It also requires some version of Word to work. I have tried using that virtual XP for some other work I do and it is crazy! Good luck!

I agree too! - agmt

[ In Reply To ..]
As the technology gets upgraded, so should the MT companies software. It is ridiculous. I can't even apply for jobs because they aren't compatible with windows 7 64/32 bit or the new microsoft word 2010.

Something to think about - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not always the MTSO who is the one who is calling these shots. A lot of times, the hospital wants something compatible with THEIR antiquated systems.

Also, it's not just a small expense to update technology every year. What would those of us who have and upkeep our systems be asked to change, change every year? Change with every service?

I get your frustration but IMO it's just not really as simple as update your technology. And yes, keeping up (or down) with technology you need to work is part of the transcriptionists job.

Also... - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Some of the software is full of bugs when it first introduced. Many facilities/companies wait to upgrade until they are sure it will be compatible with their systems.

As I stated... - Jklsr55

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand all of your points and agree with you to some extent. The logistics of getting all these people on the same page tech wise is daunting to say the least. If I have learned anything from this debacle it is the need to have some sort of back up in case your equipment dies. I realize you can find old hardware out there. It is the software that can get scarce.
And as I said in the beginning I get how costly updating tech can and would be for the company and all of you. Just so everyone realizes it is not "IF" your computer dies it is a question of "WHEN". It will die at some point. And with every passing day the hardware/software these companies require is becoming harder and harder to acquire with each passing day. I went to 5 retail/box chain stores looking for a 32bit laptop... Not one had them. And I am glad in retrospect they did not. The thought of paying all that money for something outdated where the rest of the world is concerned made me sick. But I am going to be looking in Craigslist for a decent backup in the event this happens again.
All that aside, I do think it is time for an upgrade. There are ways to do so and be backwards compatible for all you fortunate people who's computers never die!!

LOL...sorry, I have to laugh - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
"welcome to MT world" - that's all I can say. Fun, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing your wife's story. I'm currently using Word 2003.

sucka, please!!! I'm still using...sm - KC

[ In Reply To ..]
Word 2000! My family makes fun of me. I have the updated verion for everything else in the Office Suite; Excel, Powerpoint, etc., but didn't load the updated Word, and still use my old faithful 2000.

I have Word 2003, and my computer is almost - as old as the programs I run!

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only that, but every time the PC gets sick and has to go to the computer repair place to get fixed, the poor guy has to vacuum a ton of cat hair out of it!

=^..^=

BRAVO! BRAVO! Seriously I mean it - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
Jeff: You are spot on.

Agreed - Resign

[ In Reply To ..]
You are dead on. I am a home based transcriptionist for a hospital. My computer died 2.5 years ago and got nothing but runaround, buy this, buy that, I was told I had to cover our computer costs (3others as well) but two new employees got their equipment paid for, got to the point where I had ordered 5 computers in 2 years, later to be told not compatible. Between that and "job restructuring" I finally gave in and resigned. I have sjogrens syndrome and I feel I was discriminated against, as no further educational advice was ever given, supervisor wouldn't allow me to work anything other than 7:00am-7:00pm, my status was cut during FMLA leave as well...all beginning with It problems, as I have had the Sjogrens for years.

Similar Messages:

They Are Never Going To Respect Us...
Dec 10, 2013

because they see us all as insignifcant females, just a bunch of housewives trying to make a little extra pocket money and not career-minded professionals. Hence, the low pay and poor treatment.  I've been with MM for a few years now since they bought my company, and I can't believe how horribly this company treats its employees.  It is because they see us as insignificant little worker ants who exist only to serve them.  This is never going to improve because MT has tur ...

Respect For ARNPs And The Like
Apr 23, 2011

I have a really hard time respecting some of these dictators when they say things like "no congenial abnormalities" meaning congenital.  And stumbling around before finally spelling words that a 4th grader could pronounce.  When I go to the doctor, living very rural, oftentimes it will be the NPs or PAs who examine you and render a diagnosis.  I realize there are good ones and bad ones, but if the threshold for getting their degrees is so low that they can regularly make these di ...

It Would Be Nice To Get A Little Respect From
Jun 07, 2013

MTSO companies.  Being a long-time loyal employee/IC means nothing to most MTSO's.  I've worked for the same company for around 4 years, through ups and downs, feasts and famines, and the minute it gets a little busy, they hurry up and hire more MTs.  That proves to me that all they care about is making money for themselves and is just a slap in the face of the MT.  Maybe if you must hire new MTs for busy times, how about giving work first to your long-time MTs when ...

I Just Want Honest Answers And Respect
Aug 20, 2012

I am not asking for charity or a pity party but when there is no work or insufficient work to make quotas I would appreciate the company being honest about what is happening. Don't tell me the docs are all on vacation or it's summertime and no one goes to the doctor in the summertime!!!!!! And if I ask a question I would appreciate an answer and not being ignored. Thank you.  ...

Accentus - Companies Out There That Treat Their MTs With Respect?
Jul 13, 2012

Just had the most demoralizing experience of my 20 year medical transcriptionist career with this company. QA score of 99.4% and got "let go" because I wasn't doing a good enough job, and my line counts were just getting up to the required range. I am seriously considering changing careers because of this. Just wanted to find out if this is just me or are there others out there that had the same experience with this company? Are there any companies out there that treat their MTs with respec ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

Whatever Happened To The Days When You Could Respect Your Team Leads And Your Bosses?
Nov 12, 2010

No one "leads" anymore, they just direct traffic.  I can remember when the "leaders" used to help their employees so they could get a better line count, get through the hard dictators, or just do whatever was in their power to be encouraging.  Now it seems they just use their positions to grab the good jobs that have good dictators or normal dictations like the ops, collect their pay and act like you are a total burden if you need help.   I can assure you it is not encouragin ...

MMMModal's Ad From Monster. Check It Out. Their Claim Of Respect Makes Me-
Feb 05, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist About the Job         We invite you to join the most talented and knowledgeable workforce in the business by introducing M*Modal, the new brand of our industry-leading technology organization. Together, the combination of our collective organizations – MedQuist, Spheris, CBay, M*Modal, Poiesis and others – will enhance the power of clinical documentation to improve patient care.   M*Modal is currently seeking medical trans ...

Community
Feb 10, 2015

I hate that this is the only place I can sometimes find updates and/or latest news or latest goings on for MM.  There is absolutely NO, ZERO, ZILCH communication with MM anymore.  ...

My Community Tab Disappeared
May 25, 2012

The "My Community" tab disappeared.  Is there another way to get into mmodal e-mail? ...

Just Tried Email And The Community Page Is Gone! Nm
Nov 04, 2010

nm ...

Community College Vs. M-Tec/Andrews
Feb 11, 2011

Is it better to go with the tried-and-true Andrews or M-tec as opposed to a local community college that offers MT courses? I was thinking it would be better to stick with the former, but was intrigued by the fact that the local junior college seems to be promising "internships". I'm not 100 percent sure yet, as the informational meeting isn't until the beginning of March, but wondered what the prevailing wisdom might be on the subject. Thanks in advance for any info. ...

Nuance Community Page
Dec 04, 2011

We at WMX were purchased by Nuance and our Community Page doesn't seem to get updated now.  Is there something along this line for Nuance employees?  Or will we be told after we find out what pay/benefit adjustments will be made? ...

Community Health Systems
Jan 14, 2014

Does anyone currently work for Community Health Systems (CHS)? I have been offered an MT position and would like to get some feedback from anyone who works for them! ...

Community Health Is Back At It Again.....
Jan 20, 2014

Isn't this the company that is a scam?  They are back on mtjobs.... ...

Community College Program
Jan 18, 2015

I would like opinions on taking a coding program at a community college, then being properly prepared to become a successful coder and getting certified. Cost is important to me, which makes this an attractive option. What is the consensus about this? Thanks for your comments. ...

Webmedx-update Community Page
Sep 03, 2010

Have you seen the new message on Community Board at the top of the page, "Please look for the QA Communicaton and another company update within the next week."    Scares me and I am sure the rest of us still employed there.  So sorry for all those who were laid off. ...

Is Anyone Familiar With Everett Community College?
Apr 04, 2012

Ive heard many opinions on coding training at Andrews, Career step and community colleges. I have just come across EverettCC and their coding course is completely online (scheduled,not self-paced)and taught by teachers who are certified medical coders. Im just curious if anyone here has attended or heard about this school. ...

Ad Ran In Our Local Community Craig's List....
Mar 22, 2013

Am I right to think "they" don't know what an Independent Contractor is?  You can't tell someone what schedule to work if you are an IC?  Right??    REQUIREMENTS FOR INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR1. Be located and perform all work within the USA.2. You are an independent contractor providing transcription service to whomever wishes to contract with you, are familiar with IRS regulation regarding ICs, and meet those requirements/qualifications.3. You will perform all the w ...

Just Got Our Brochure From Our Local Community College
Aug 22, 2013

While purusing the classes offered, looking for possibly a career change, lo and behold, no MT classes being offered any longer. Coding, yes.  CNA, yes. In home caregiver, yes. Nail tech, yes. .....  MT, no.  Thinking of real estate now as there is an upswing in that direction. ...

Pitiful Webmedx Community Page Announcement
Sep 01, 2010

What a bunch of nonsense.  They wait until well into their smoke and mirrors BS to say that they lost two accounts and had to let people go. Guaranteed they knew the accounts were gone a while ago--seen this with them before, and the decent thing would have been to warn people--but there seems to be no decency here any longer in how management conducts itself.  Question:   What is with all the new hires this summer who have been scrolling on the community page? ...

Apply At Local Universities And Community Colleges
Aug 01, 2012

Me again.  If you live anywhere near a university or community college, consider applying there for a job.  It will most likely be civil service, which means you will need to take a test to measure your skills, and then you will be ranked on the interview totem pole according to your test score and level of skills.  It's a fair process.  It doesn't matter who you know.  It only matters HOW MUCH you know.  At our local university, there are 2 clerical categ ...

I Applied For Financial Aid At My Local Community College Yesterday
Jun 22, 2012

I'm taking my first steps to get out of this field - I'm 48 years old, I've dedicated myself to Medquist/MModal for 16 years of my life and I am making less today than my 15-year-old son who just got his very first job.  In my lifetime, I never thought I would be 48 years old, on Food Stamps and barely making minimum wage in a field I gave nearly half my life to.  It is a complete insult. I've been going around and around in my head how to get out of this fiel ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

MTStars A Community Of US Medical Transcriptionists And Their Companies Who Worry About What Is Bein
May 21, 2013

My point having been made in 2 short weeks, I will no longer be hanging out on this board.  Nuance, in its attempts to hide its egregious activities with certain employees, has infiltrated this board and it is no longer truly a community of US medical transcriptionists, but has become what could more aptly be called, "A company opportunity to do damage control for all POTENTIAL new employees about what the former employees said when they quit."  The board can, however, still ser ...