A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

$600 for software to work for a company - JW

Posted: Feb 06, 2012

Anyone ever hear of this? I honestly don't think I will be able to keep this job if I have to pay for this. I don't make that kind of money and I have been unemployed for some time now. It's sad because it pays 8 cpl and is very easy typing.

Selling software?!? - Teardrop

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like a scam to me.

Starvin MT already - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Doesn't seem like you should have to pay for the software but it's what the company uses on their platform. Seems to me they should get something that doesn't cost us anything. Could be a scam but the lady was very nice and they just got an account that they needed instant help on so I guess I'm that help but as for the software when the free trial runs out so do I.

JW - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
So what if they use it on their platform? You are not an investor in their company, and you should not have to pay for the program.
Head examination - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
I just spent close to $2000 on a new computer and software so I could work for any company. I will need to get my head examined if I fall for this one.
Yes you will. DON'T fall for it! Sounds way too fishy! - Never, NEVER, pay to get a job. NEVER!
[ In Reply To ..]
S-C-A-M !
This month one company and next month another one - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll do it until they ask for my credit card number to pay for the software and then I will bid them farewell. At least I brought in some money for a while. Guess it will be for me job to job to job to job if it's an MTSO.
Scam???? - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
The software is called Voicescribe and a place called Medware sells it for $600. I will not be with this company for long. Hope something else comes through. I have applied to two places yesterday and today. I need a job and cannot and will not ever fork over any money for a job no matter how reputable they are.
these files play fine in express scribe which is FREE - sm - XXX
[ In Reply To ..]
years ago I worked for a company that used it, they too would sell it to you BUT they also told you that you could just download free express scribe and that would work just fine too. You just cannot see all the file info/data with the express scribe, which you really do not need, just the file/voice # which will come up anyway. So presuming the job is legit, go get express scribe, again it is a free download, just google it, and give it a shot. But general rule of thumb if you have to buy software per the MTSO (other than what you would need for any job, Word, a counter, expander, medical spellchecker, foot pedal) then DO NOT DO IT. The most you should have to get is the footpedal as some jobs require certain ones.
Free Express Scribe - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for that info. I never really liked Express Scribe but will give it a shot. I really need to work and if I had seen in their ad they required you to pay for software, I would have passed it over. I am wondering too if it would work in the Olympus AS-5000 which I recently bought. It plays all files.
The company should supply you with their required - software - WITHOUT CHARGE. (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
At the very LEAST!!!!

The pay will be low.

The hours will be long.

The software will likely suck, anyway, and you may end up having to make upgrades/changes to your own PC in order to be compatible with it.

They likely don't offer health insurance, do they? And on the off chance that they DO, it probably covers very little in the way of medical expenses.

What would happen if you paid money for the software, then quit or got fired? Betcha you'd have a hard time getting reimbursed for what you paid for the software. Likely your money would be wasted.

I learned my lesson the hard way many years ago that the employee should NOT pay to get a job! Not to an employment agency, and not to the employer! NEVER!

Employers who TRULY need a new employee will pay for one. Those who expect the employee to pay in order to work there do NOT need an employee, they just want the CASH.

This practice should be illegal, yet some companies still try to pull off this scam, which always seems to be aimed at young people and newbies right out of school. And now, during this recession/depression, they are preying upon people who are desperate for a job.
Job pays - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
The job pays 8 cpl with no benefits. I need a job but not that bad. You are right on. What if I quit the job after I purchase the software or in another case, I pay for it on time out of my paycheck. I would end up owing them the money even if I quit. No worth it.

JW - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Never, EVER pay for software or anything else. It's a rip. And is it typing or transcribing? It sounds like a ripoff. Good luck. I hope you find something you like other than this.

This is a known SCAM - DONOTDOIT

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not do this. In fact, I would advise you to leave that "job" now. It is not a job! You have been pulled into the first stage of a well-known scam.

Google medical transcription scam or software scam. You should get several links to reputable sites warning about this scam. It plays out exactly as you describe it.

The victim, YOU, is a vulnerable and unemployed or underemployed MT. You are offered a job that turns out to be easy, making you really want to keep it. They tell you that you will need to buy expensive software. (Yes, 600 is ridiculously expensive.) When you do that, they disappear. Or, they continue to give you work, but never pay you.

One description of this is on the www dot mtinformation dot com website.

No legit company will ask you to buy special software. Ever.

It is easy to fall for this scam. Of course the lady is NICE! She wants to complete the scam. Of course it looks like a good deal. They need you to be so confllicted that you suspend disbelief and drink their Koolaid.

I am curious to know how you found that company. Advertisement? Or did they find you? And what is the name of the software they want you to buy?

I am not just making things up. I know of a woman who ran MT school scams and employment scams. Several at once under the guise of an actual MTSO. I began working for them thinking there was no way anything could go wrong. She had been convicted in several different cities, but it did not slow her down one bit.

I know you are hungry, but you would do better working at Target than this. NO good will come of this.

I would not say anything to them about this. Just unplug and disappear. Have a computer company check for spyware or viruses and remove that software correctly. Do not just try to delete it.

DONOTDOIT - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I was afraid of this. I think I sent them my resume, their name is Superior and they are out of New York. The software is voicescribe or voiceware. Very strange. I tried to find them on the internet and could not find the name anywhere. The lady told me that there was a free trial for 30 days and some ladies had gotten it for 75 days. I haven't given them a credit card number yet and believe me I never will and may just chuck that job today. Will look into your websites. Thanks for the input.

DONOTDOIT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
RUN!
I work for a legitimate company, and even if they - (sm) - Meerkat
[ In Reply To ..]
suddenly asked for my credit card or debit card number, I would still NEVER give it to them!

Now that most job-searches & applications are done on the Internet, you have to be extra careful. Never pay for a job. Never give them a credit card number. Never give them your Social Security number until you have been offered the job. And to be safe, I often give just a disposable email address, not my permanent address.

People who work remotely are much, much easier for unscrupulous, bogus "companies" to take advantage of. You have to be diligent. Check them out with the BBB. Do they have a brick-and-mortar office address? Or is it a P.O. box? Be sure to get a STREET ADDRESS, then check it out. It can be Googled to see where it is, and if it's in a business area. If it appears to be in a residential area, it may not be legit, unless you're looking at a subcontractor job for an indepenent contractor who also works from home.

You can check with their town's City Hall to see who occupies the address they've given you.

But still: The fact that this bunch of shysters has asked for money at all is a red flag. But $600 dollars!?!?

There is NO software program out there anywhere that is worth $600. At most MTSOs, $600 is more than half a month's pay.

I would not only run away, I would report them to the Better Business Bureau.

I use this software at my company, but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I certainly didn't pay for it! Just installed it via a phonecall with their IT guy. So, the software itself is legit, at least, but the company sounds like another story altogether.

buying software - ej

[ In Reply To ..]
In order to work for Transcend, had to buy MS Word. Have been working for about four years since then.

buying MS Word - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, but MS Word is something you can use over and over everywhere, including for personal use.

First rule of thumb when it comes to working for - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
an MTSO (anyone for that matter) is NEVER pay to work!!

If you don't get the job, all you'll be out of is work. - -(sm) - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
However, if you pay these crooks for their "software", you will be out of $600, AND likely still out of a job, because I don't think this is a legitimate company.

Is the company based in NY? - typinfool

[ In Reply To ..]
I too had a similar situation with a company based in NY -- said could have 30 days free but had to purchase software after that and it was voice scribe and cost between 600-700 dollars -- strange I thought -- I said no did not have that kind of $$ to spend. Never heard back...

Yes NY - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Superior in New York is the name. I will not go past the 30 day limit. They will not get my credit card number either. I have a lot better ways to spend that kind of money than for software and that means if I have to git it to them before the 30-day trial period, I will have to quit then.

600 for my dental work - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I need dental work and the money can be better spent in my mouth. LOL!! Thanks for all the good advice here.

Definitely go with the dental work! :) - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

JW - DM

[ In Reply To ..]
I interviewed with an MTSO in Massachusetts who BTW is currently advertising for IC positions on another site (obviously I can't post it here) and just when I thought the interview was going pretty well, she told me I would have to pay $200 for software. Needless to say, that interview was over.

I agree with the other posters, I would NEVER pay for a job. Good luck in your job search!

Did you google the software ... JW and Old Pro - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The software is legit, but 600 for it is extreme. You do not have to buy it from the MTSO, either. Try googling VoiceScribe.

Several companies sell it. The personal edition from one vendor was 249 per seat, making me think that you would need that, not the enterprise edition at 600. You are not running a server after all ... just one isolated workstation.

I can see that a small MTSO might expect the MT to have the 249 package, just as they would expect them to have Word. You could use the software to do your own transcribing for doctors with whom you contract directly. In other words, you could go into business for yourself.

An MTSO might not want to fund your business. Asking you to provide your own computer and software would be a solution, and would also support that you were an IC.

An MTSO might not wish to pay for a license for every employee, since so many quit within a few weeks to a month. I am not sure how licensing would work, but you could find out easily enough by calling the software vendor.

The vendor would tell you what your best price would be and which version you needed. They may know of the MTSO, too.

The situation as you described it sounds odd, so I wonder if you did not get correct information. The MTSO might be mistakenly charging 600 thinking you are getting the enterprise version. They might think you need what they have. I do not think you do. If they are foolish, though, o telling what they think.

The MTSO also might be telling you 600 in the hope that you are stupid enough to pay it. They think you will not check the price. They might be selling you the personal edition and pocketing the difference. You should not have to pay them for a part of their site license, I think, and wuld be careful not to do that because you would not be able to take it with you when you leave or work on your own accounts.

They might also be running a scam. The scam operator could be buying copies at a low bulk rate and selling it to you at the price of something else (the enterprise version). Or, they have free trial copies and never plan to provide the actual software after taking your money.

I googled Superior Transcription in New York and found Superior Transcribing in Brooklyn, est 1957. If that is them, they look reasonably reputable. Check with the BBB there. Maybe one of their MTs can explain more about them. You said they were nice and the pay was good.

If they are not really scamming you but maybe just not doing the software stuff right, they should have no objection to you buying your software from the vendor.

I would call the company that makes the software to find out what you need. If it is 249 I would probably go for it if you like the job.

You wouldbe safe buying it from a company like Medword that sells MT equipment. I would NOT give my credit card to the MTSO, though.

I think what bothers us is that this sounds like a scam, smells like paying for employment, and has too many unanswered questions.

But, you know, it just might be that the MTSO, having been in the biz since 1957, feels that this software is "the transcriber," or the equivalent of the little machine, which MTs supply along with the computer.

I think Old Pro might agree with me on this. It would be nice if the MTSO could tell us what their thinking is.

Software - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I personally never required anybody to buy software, ever. I do not think it is ethical. If people are going to have to invest in anything other than the very basics (a reliable computer, the proper foot pedal and Word), then they should be in business for themselves so that they can share in the profits. This new trend of MTSOs shifting expenses onto MTs really steps on my corns. It is something I simply could not and would not do. I think things like this are what gets SOME MTSOs (I don't like it when we are all tarred with the same brush) a bad name. Too many MTSOs have exploited and are exploiting the MTs. I don't like that. What is fair for one (the MTSO) is fair for all (the MT).

Agree Old Pro - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree. Like I said before if I would have seen in their ad that I am required to buy software, no matter the cost, I would have passed over it and not wasted my time applying for it.

Too much for software at any price - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I saw the 249 too and still cannot see a reason to even spend that much. Will keep looking for a job. I just spent 299 for the Olympus AS-5000 and it is a great software.

No job for $600 - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
I was up front with them about not buying the $600 software and left it at that. The lady was going to talk to the owner of the company about it but I don't want a job like that unless they change their policy and then they would have to pay back all the others that have bought the software,not gonna happen.
Well, then don' complain about being unemployed - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If the company thinks well enough of you to make an accommodation for you, you mght want to be grateful and accepting.

First you are upset because you are unemployed. Then you are upset about the cost of the software. We gave suggestions that you seem to have brushed off.

Now that they are almost offering to accommodate you, you decide that you are going to refuse to work for them because it is some kind of social justice issue? You want them to change the policy and refund other MTs?

You are not even sure what they require or why, but you are on the side of justice. I would recommend that you might give staying employed a higher ranking in your decision process. Perhaps you can defer consideration of ethics and moral justice until you have more information.

I mention that only because you seem to be shooting yourself in the foot.

What planet are you from sm?? - JW
[ In Reply To ..]
What planet are you from sm? I had just bought a new computer and software that cost $2000 total. I did not refuse to work for them. I told them I would be happy to do the work but I could not afford to put $600 in for software. The lady was very nice about it and said she would talk to the owner about it. I think they really need someone to do their new account. I just felt that if they made an exception for me that to be fair they would have to do it for everyone else who had forked over the 600. I don't think I am complaining about being unemployed anymore than the anyone else would. It's tough but I am hanging in there and waiting for a more compatible job to come along. I don't expect perfection. It takes all kinds and I did read your post but sorry I can't agree with it.
where do you work? - CMK
[ In Reply To ..]
SM, do you work for the company, or are you a scammer yourself? Be grateful that she might get a job where she has to pay more than she makes? How about you work for the company, give them your money, and then let us know how it goes, OK??

Similar Messages:

Leasing Software From Company?
Jan 13, 2011

Is it customary, or at least not unusual, for a company to require that you lease their software in order to work for them?  ...

I'd Like To Find A Company That Doesn't Require Me To Load Their Software.
Mar 18, 2010

I basically would like to grab my work from an FTP site, transcribe it in word, and upload it back.  Are there any companies that still do that? ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

I Want To Find A Different Company, But My Fear Is That MQ Will Only Swallow That Company
Jul 15, 2011

up and I'd be back at square one, making no more than their "maximums."  I wonder, are this new maximum pay going to stay the same (or lower)?  I mean, in 5 or 10 years (if we are still here) will it be the same?  Or less?  I think so. ...

On Company Board, Under Post You Quit A Company
Sep 11, 2011

what's going on? ...

Need A Software
Sep 17, 2010

Hi!   I need a software for conversion of PC-Dart files to wav.can any one help me plz? ...

Which Software To Use?
Jul 25, 2011

What other programs besides Start/Stop and Express Scribe are out there. For various reasons, I am unable to use either of these programs and need to find something else... but whenever I google "transcription software" all I ever get is hits for those two... I know there must be other software out there. Please help! ...

Best FTP Software?
Oct 06, 2011

Just wondering what is the best FTP software? Possible job opportunity but they want me to have an FTP in place. TIA ...

What Software Is A Must For An MT?
Oct 02, 2012

I have been working as an MT out of the house for a while and am now coming back home to work.  Since I now have to supply my own research resources, etc., can someone tell me what I need to help me with medical terms, spellcheck, ASR short-cuts, etc.   Thanks! ...

Tax Software
Apr 03, 2014

Can anyone recommend a good tax program so I can do my own taxes as an IC? Need one that will figure profit/loss or schedule C I think it is and also home office deduction.  It is getting too expensive to have taxes done and would like to start doing them myself but not sure how complicated it is.  Any suggestions? ...

Software
Nov 18, 2014

What is the best free downloadable transcription software? Or is it all bad? Dictaphone I think won't work, because I don't have a phone line. I need something I can put on a laptop and travel if I have to. ...

Looking For Particular Software
Apr 26, 2015

Does anyone know what foot pedal software has a lightning bolt as its logo/desktop icon?  Any help would be appreciated!  TY! ...

What Would Be An Ideal Company? I Would Like To Build That Company.
Mar 31, 2010

We are a pretty big company, and we think we know what transcriptionists want, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  There are a lot of top people in our industry that are finding themselves without jobs, often without notice, both managers and transcriptionists.  I think that the tide is turning, and that we need to make sure that we treat our people right, so if you could take a few minutes and answer this, maybe we can make a difference.  I am asking for real answers, ones that ar ...

I Wanted To Add A Company To The Bad Company List And
Apr 21, 2012

one to stay away from.  Integrity.  They test you, claim they are checking your references and then when you email asking if they got hold of the references, crickets.  Not a word from them.  This has been a few weeks, too.  If they are this rude just during the recruiting process, I hate to think what working for them would be like. ...

MDOfficeManager (company) - Anyone Have Information On This Company?
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone heard of a company called MDOfficeManager?  I was interested but I do not like the way they require SSN and other personal information up front before allowing the applicant to proceed with other parts of the application, including online tests.  I have heard there are fake websites for job applications.  Thanks. ...

Nuance... Bad Company Or Worst Company Ever.
May 15, 2015

Some days are more aggravating than others with this company.   ...

Loading New Software
Jan 14, 2010

Does anybody know if I can download Word Perfect 10 on a Medquist Computer? I would like to compose letters, etc. but do not want to ask support. Thank you. ...

Scary Software
Feb 17, 2010

During my first visit with a new doctor yesterday, I wondered why I was not presented with the usual "book of history" to fill out beforehand.  As the nurse was asking questions, she was busy clicking on pull-down menus, etc.   On her computer screen was software called SOAPware, and there, formatted into SOAP format and all, I saw my replacement.  Later, in the exam room, the FNP was using the software as well as we went along, after exam, labs, etc.  I made a comment ...

MP Count Software?
Mar 17, 2010

I'm currently working as a new IC for a co. that just asked me to invoice them using MP Count software.  They had an .exe application for it on their ftp server, but of course when I transferred it to my computer and tried to load it, it didn't work.  Now when I go to mp word's website, I see that they charge for the software, and there doesn't seem to be any software that ONLY functions as line counting software. Any experience with the softwar ...

Proprietary Software
Apr 02, 2010

Do these companies want you to use their proprietary software on your PC, and how is it installed? ...

Antivirus Software
Jul 14, 2010

anone know what antivirus software is recomended by MQ? ...

Help With Linecounting Software
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated. ...

Grammar Software
Oct 04, 2010

Is there such as thing as grammar/punctuation software?  I just use the Word grammar checker but it seems I spend a lot of time fussing over punctuation. ...

Punctuation Software
Oct 18, 2010

Hi! Could anyone tell me if they use (or have used) any software that helps with punctuation. I have to tell you that that's my weakest point. Any product names you can give me that you think are good, please let me know. I'd need the software to use both with a Mac and PC. Thank you.   ...

Accounting Software
Jan 20, 2011

Good morning everyone. I am a recent MT graduate with a pending job offer.  I'm very exciting to begin working in this amazing industry.  At this time I am thinking about the whole starting up your own business thing and preparing myself for when I have to start submitting invoices etc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good (and user friendly) accounting software for MTs, or if there even is such a thing.  I was thinking of using something easy like Quick Books b ...

Software Vendors
Feb 11, 2011

For four months now I have been researching software vendors to upgrade my very small transcription business. So far it has come down to Medikin and Infraware. Has anyone worked on both of these and did you prefer one over the other? ...

Help! I May Need New Player Software...
Apr 18, 2011

Hi.  I've been using Express Scribe for years now and have never run into a situation where it couldn't play the files that I was working with.  Recently I got a new job and now .ds2 files are going to be used more often and I just found out that Express Scribe doesn't play those.  UGH! I don't have the kind of money to buy $100 software like Bytescribe.  Does anyone know of any other wavplayer programs that are free or very low in price? Or maybe someon ...

Software Programs
Jul 25, 2011

I've worked for 3 different MTSOs. each bought out by another. I was never aware of the type of software programs used by these companies as the work platforms were "proprietary." I'm currently looking for part-time work and notice that most all job applications are asking for the name of or type of software programs used. How do I find out this information? As an example, Webmedx used Enterprise, but I have no idea what software program was used to create this platform. How do I ...

Shortcut Software
Aug 03, 2011

What is the best shortcut software?  I am looking at Shorthand, Sylvan Shortcut and SpeedType, etc.  Shorthand seems to take too long.  I need some good recommendations, thanks!! ...