A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

software - anon

Posted: Nov 18, 2014

What is the best free downloadable transcription software? Or is it all bad? Dictaphone I think won't work, because I don't have a phone line. I need something I can put on a laptop and travel if I have to.

Very Vague - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what you are referring to. You need to have DSL or cable to be able to work from home. The companies usually provide you with a software platform that they want you to use. I use a laptop for my work and if I travel, I just connect into either a friends wireless connection or a family members wireless connection.

It would help in the future if you could be a bit more specific :)

IC - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for a company using eScription. I'm looking at an IC position and they say I should have my own software. When I asked her to recommend something, she said I could get Dictaphone and a phone line, but I want to be able to travel. She said there are free downloads I can use for some of their accounts, but I don't know what to get.

I do work from home - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
To clarify, I do currently work from home, but everything was provided by the company, so I don't know what the best things are to work with.

IC-anon - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
You are still not being very clear. "I'm looking at an IC position and they say I should have my own software." By that, I am presuming they mean some version of Microsoft Word, spell checking software and a word expander. Most companies, even if you are an IC, will provide the PLATFORM to type in, but YOU have to have the proper software to be able to use that platform. Also, again, I travel as well, and I plug into friends or family's internet connection by them giving me that password to use for their internet connection using my laptop.

Lol - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess I'm not being very clear because I'm basically quoting the email from her. I do have MSWord but no spellchecker or expander. I just use autocorrect in word on EScription from my current employer.

Here is her reply.

"If you own your own foot pedal/headphones, there are several different free software transcription programs that are easily downloadable. The good part of that is it wouldn't cost you anything and you can transcribe from anywhere - all you need is an internet connection. The "bad" news is it only allows you access to two providers in this category. However, if you are not looking for full-time work, this might not be a problem and again, there's no cost incurred. The other option is to get a Dictaphone C-phone or equivalent."

Well, still very vague and unclear - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
You must be a relatively "newbie MT." First thing I would suggest is getting a spell checking program, as most companies require it. Secondly, as long as you have MS Word, a foot pedal and a spell checking program you should be good to go. I have NO clue what this person may be referring to in the email. I am an IC for 2 companies and BOTH companies provide the platform that I need to work on. I didn't have to do my own "search."
Thanks! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
That's what I wanted to know. I've been an MT for almost 4 years, but never IC, so when she suggested this, I was in the dark. I do have Word, pedal and earphones obviously, so I'll get a spellchecker. I just thought it odd that their platform must be compatible with absolutely anything?! Most companies ask what version of Word etc. Do you use a Dictaphone? Is that something I should invest in?
Answer to thanks - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
No, as an IC, you would not need to download anything like Dictaphone. Again, I work as an IC for 2 companies, and their technical support people came in and downloaded the "platform" they wanted me to use or else have provided me with a link to be able to download the software on my own.

Also with Word, it will need to be a "full version" of Word and not a student version. The person whom you will be contracting for should tell you what version of Word will work.
oops forgot to add something - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
You will also need to have some kind of a "player" to be able to play the voice files. This what the MTSO may have been referring to when she mentioned Dictaphone. You will need to have a "voice player" that is compatible with different file formats such was .wav, .dss etc. Express Scribe is used by a lot of MTs however it is no longer free. I personally use Bytescribe, however, that is not a free program either.

Similar Messages:

Need A Software
Sep 17, 2010

Hi!   I need a software for conversion of PC-Dart files to wav.can any one help me plz? ...

Which Software To Use?
Jul 25, 2011

What other programs besides Start/Stop and Express Scribe are out there. For various reasons, I am unable to use either of these programs and need to find something else... but whenever I google "transcription software" all I ever get is hits for those two... I know there must be other software out there. Please help! ...

Best FTP Software?
Oct 06, 2011

Just wondering what is the best FTP software? Possible job opportunity but they want me to have an FTP in place. TIA ...

What Software Is A Must For An MT?
Oct 02, 2012

I have been working as an MT out of the house for a while and am now coming back home to work.  Since I now have to supply my own research resources, etc., can someone tell me what I need to help me with medical terms, spellcheck, ASR short-cuts, etc.   Thanks! ...

Tax Software
Apr 03, 2014

Can anyone recommend a good tax program so I can do my own taxes as an IC? Need one that will figure profit/loss or schedule C I think it is and also home office deduction.  It is getting too expensive to have taxes done and would like to start doing them myself but not sure how complicated it is.  Any suggestions? ...

Looking For Particular Software
Apr 26, 2015

Does anyone know what foot pedal software has a lightning bolt as its logo/desktop icon?  Any help would be appreciated!  TY! ...

Loading New Software
Jan 14, 2010

Does anybody know if I can download Word Perfect 10 on a Medquist Computer? I would like to compose letters, etc. but do not want to ask support. Thank you. ...

Scary Software
Feb 17, 2010

During my first visit with a new doctor yesterday, I wondered why I was not presented with the usual "book of history" to fill out beforehand.  As the nurse was asking questions, she was busy clicking on pull-down menus, etc.   On her computer screen was software called SOAPware, and there, formatted into SOAP format and all, I saw my replacement.  Later, in the exam room, the FNP was using the software as well as we went along, after exam, labs, etc.  I made a comment ...

MP Count Software?
Mar 17, 2010

I'm currently working as a new IC for a co. that just asked me to invoice them using MP Count software.  They had an .exe application for it on their ftp server, but of course when I transferred it to my computer and tried to load it, it didn't work.  Now when I go to mp word's website, I see that they charge for the software, and there doesn't seem to be any software that ONLY functions as line counting software. Any experience with the softwar ...

Proprietary Software
Apr 02, 2010

Do these companies want you to use their proprietary software on your PC, and how is it installed? ...

Antivirus Software
Jul 14, 2010

anone know what antivirus software is recomended by MQ? ...

Help With Linecounting Software
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated. ...

Grammar Software
Oct 04, 2010

Is there such as thing as grammar/punctuation software?  I just use the Word grammar checker but it seems I spend a lot of time fussing over punctuation. ...

Punctuation Software
Oct 18, 2010

Hi! Could anyone tell me if they use (or have used) any software that helps with punctuation. I have to tell you that that's my weakest point. Any product names you can give me that you think are good, please let me know. I'd need the software to use both with a Mac and PC. Thank you.   ...

Accounting Software
Jan 20, 2011

Good morning everyone. I am a recent MT graduate with a pending job offer.  I'm very exciting to begin working in this amazing industry.  At this time I am thinking about the whole starting up your own business thing and preparing myself for when I have to start submitting invoices etc. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good (and user friendly) accounting software for MTs, or if there even is such a thing.  I was thinking of using something easy like Quick Books b ...

Software Vendors
Feb 11, 2011

For four months now I have been researching software vendors to upgrade my very small transcription business. So far it has come down to Medikin and Infraware. Has anyone worked on both of these and did you prefer one over the other? ...

Help! I May Need New Player Software...
Apr 18, 2011

Hi.  I've been using Express Scribe for years now and have never run into a situation where it couldn't play the files that I was working with.  Recently I got a new job and now .ds2 files are going to be used more often and I just found out that Express Scribe doesn't play those.  UGH! I don't have the kind of money to buy $100 software like Bytescribe.  Does anyone know of any other wavplayer programs that are free or very low in price? Or maybe someon ...

Software Programs
Jul 25, 2011

I've worked for 3 different MTSOs. each bought out by another. I was never aware of the type of software programs used by these companies as the work platforms were "proprietary." I'm currently looking for part-time work and notice that most all job applications are asking for the name of or type of software programs used. How do I find out this information? As an example, Webmedx used Enterprise, but I have no idea what software program was used to create this platform. How do I ...

Shortcut Software
Aug 03, 2011

What is the best shortcut software?  I am looking at Shorthand, Sylvan Shortcut and SpeedType, etc.  Shorthand seems to take too long.  I need some good recommendations, thanks!! ...

Software? Cassettes? What?
Aug 09, 2011

Hello all,  Here's a question not sure how to ask - maybe someone can help.  If I were to contact, as an IC looking for work, a doctor or clinic to provide services, would I just need to have a software package (for example DQS) and would it have a line counter attached to it?  --or would I ask the doc what he/she uses for dictation and then buy/install that?Back in 1981 when I was self-employed and typed for 3 different docs in Oregon, I was still using typewriters and tapes ...

TT Question On Software - (msg)
Sep 15, 2011

Can anyone tell me what software the hospital with the initials RC uses?  Would it be a good backup acct?  Thanks ...

Softscript Software
Oct 03, 2011

i should mention that i'm referring to macros you record and run that are based on Visual Basic rather than the use of word expander software. i would like to use the macros in addition to my word expander. thanks anyone who has macros set up that are working correctly with softscript's software do share your fabulous wisdom of how you made that happen!  if your macros aren't working let's add this to the softscript b****fest of things that don't make sen ...

Apex Software
Feb 09, 2012

Has anyone used the Apex software recently with Accentus? I'm curious about speed, ease of use and any known glitches. Thanks. ...

Speedtyping Software
Mar 14, 2012

Can anyone give me some advice on any software that is helpful to save keystrokes, and give you a boost in your production by using a program such as this?  I see many advertised, many are expensive and wondered if anyone out there has one that they can recommend and possibly the price along with that.  Thanks so much. ...

Counting Software?
Sep 11, 2012

I have used Abacus SE for years, but it has started messing up and is not counting all reports.  I was going to reinstall the software, but it is apparently no longer available.  Is there a good, simple-to-use line counting software that will include headers (including headers on the second page - I've found Sylcount does not do that)?  Thanks! ...

Encryption Software
Sep 26, 2012

What encryption software do you use? If a doc is using a handheld and sending to an FTP, how do you make that HIPPA compatible? Thanks, Cathy ...

Is EScription The Best VR Software
Oct 18, 2012

What are the pros and cons for someone new to VR/SR? TIA ...

So Now We Have To Purchase Software If We Don't
Oct 29, 2012

already have it on our computer.  thanks Transcend! ...

Equipment/Software
Nov 08, 2012

Ok, so against my better judgement, I have accepted a position with Nuance for PT work.  I say that only because after reading all of the "bad" reviews I am a little nervous about it.  But, I am willing to see how it goes.  So paperwork is done and turned in and today I received a Kit with footpedal, headset, software including Stedman's spellcheck, medical dictionary, Quick Look drug book.  FOr those in the know, are these items paid for by myself at some point or is th ...

Purchasing Software For Job?
Jan 04, 2013

So I interviewed and seems like I got the job, but there was an issue with the version of Word software I had, so I was told to buy a new version from a third-party site.  Contacted Microsoft and they said they weren't listed as an auth dealer and their upgrade price was the same so I went with Microsoft...has anyone else run into this when they were interviewing?  I really want this job but that didn't feel so good.  She also said it could take weeks before training cou ...