A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

building a resume - cjjmt

Posted: Apr 27, 2012

I recently applied for a coding position at a hospital.  The last line of the job listing said, "Motivated students with strong interest in coding may be considered." 

In my resume, I explained what I was currently doing; taking the AAPC coding course, and in using directly quoted info from the AAPC website (below where it starts...."This course teaches"... and ends with ......"volume 3 procedure coding".  

I am currently a student in the CPC-H® coding course administered by AAPC, and upon completion will be taking the certification exam. This course teaches fundamental coding skills for an outpatient hospital/facility and ASC setting and prepares the student to take AAPC's CPC-H® exam for a career in medical coding. It is aimed at teaching the correct application of CPT®, HCPCS Level II procedure and supply codes and ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes used for coding and billing outpatient facility and ASC services to insurance companies. This course also covers the basic concepts of MS-DRGs and ICD-9-CM Volume 3 procedure coding.

My question to coders out there is, will this hinder or benefit my application for this employer?

Resume - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would have really taken a good hard look at that resume when I was in a hiring position at a hospital (HIM Director) a few years ago! Especially since they specifically state students are welcome to apply. Our requirement was that even if you were in the course, you had xx amount to time to take and pass the CPC exam, but it enabled us to get people trained on the system that we used as they were training and it all worked out very well that way. It also helped the coders who were still in school because we generally placed those students with the certified coders to help them out. Best of luck to you! :)

why would - it hinder?

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you are exactly what they are looking for.

What they are looking for is anyone's guess - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The ad, as you explained it, does not make it clear if they are looking for an inpatient or outpatient coder.

If they are looking for an outpatent coder, your current course may interest them. If they are looking for an inpatient coder, your course would probably not interest them as much as a course that prepared you for inpatient coding.

The CPC-H is a great credential, but it does not cover inpatient DRG coding. Even though it may cover DRG basics and Vol 3 procedures, the rest of it is outpatient . . . outpatient rules, outpatient coding guidelines, outpatient situations. The scope of the coding is individual services rather than entire hospital stays. The depth of medical knowledge required for that is far less and that course does not cover the pathophysiology that would be necessary.

The CPC-H may be "hospital" but it is not the equivalent of the CCS. Not that it is bad, because it is fine (I have it and would never diss my own credentials), but it just does not cover the same material. All of the AAPC credentials are focused on physician services. That is their strong suit.

Similar Messages: